Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Found $20 on the ground and did not have to be hospitalized due to fentanyl "exposure" pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

They learned all the wrong lessons from Clinton losing. Why do you think anyone would learn anything this time?

That’s essentially accelerationism and I’m starting to think that isn’t going to work.

I'm throwing spaghetti at the wall trying to figure out a way out of this mess. The only thing I know is the stuff we've already tried doesn't loving work.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good god

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

It’s amazing that at such a tumultuous time, the US has elected probably the two worst presidents of their respective parties in the last 100 years. Like Biden is still better than a lot of republicans, but I can’t think of any dem that’s been worse.

Trump is close to the worst president ever though. Buchanan I think still tops him.

Was Trump really that bad for the GOP relative to their specific aims? They still got tax cuts for the rich and a very friendly federal judiciary out of him. Pretty good for a guy who showed up uninvited and then proceeded to ether your entire bullpen of hopeful future presidents.

Like yeah a lot of them are publicly embarrassed by him, but him being president kind of kicked their US takeover plans into high gear (if they existed pre-Trump at all). Do you think the 1/6 chucklefucks would have stormed the Capitol to keep Jeb! in power?

E: Remember that Trump came into the 2016 primary de-crying the GOP establishment as out of touch, the same way that people talk about Biden/Obama/Hillary etc. not being able to meet the current crises.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 14, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It’s amazing that at such a tumultuous time, the US has elected probably the two worst presidents of their respective parties in the last 100 years. Like Biden is still better than a lot of republicans, but I can’t think of any dem that’s been worse.

Trump is close to the worst president ever though. Buchanan I think still tops him.

It's not a scale so much as what sin you consider worse than the others. If using a drone strike to assassinate a native born American citizen who hasn't committed any crimes is your litmus test, he's a better president than Obama.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I regret to inform everyone that my grill has been taken over by the backyard mice. I was going to make chickem skewers tonight on ir but now I gotta come up with an alternative cooking method.

Noooo, this is the nightmare. I've found some nesting material in ours the first time uncovering after winter, but it seemed like it gave up or got killed after a few trips. Still did a non-cook burn with ripping hot charcoal in it.

I grilled yesterday with a 10% chance of rain overnight, which turned into storm and downpour before the grill was cool enough to cover. Had about a quart of water sitting in the main chamber today. No big deal, it's already a whopping two months old. :sigh: I'm trying to do a better job of taking care of this one since it's actually nice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I regret to inform everyone that my grill has been taken over by the backyard mice. I was going to make chickem skewers tonight on ir but now I gotta come up with an alternative cooking method.
Fire up the your oven's broiler. Yeah it's gonna make your house hotter but in essence it's an upside-down grill.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Can you just burn them?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Usually you want to control cooking the chicken skewers so that they are cooked through relatively evenly with not too much excess charring on the exterior.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dogs rock

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Skwirl posted:

It's not a scale so much as what sin you consider worse than the others. If using a drone strike to assassinate a native born American citizen who hasn't committed any crimes is your litmus test, he's a better president than Obama.

That’s kind of a specific litmus test. Trump likely got more Americans unjustly killed with his terrible COVID response.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Fire up the your oven's broiler. Yeah it's gonna make your house hotter but in essence it's an upside-down grill.

Yeah I'll probably do that. Our oven is kind of old and the broiler can be a little iffy but I'll be in there cooking other stuff anyway.

I am not fond of the mice but I really don't want to burn them to death in my grill. I'm a little soft hearted that way. We have trapped most of them now I think bug there's definitely a few left.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I don’t know anything about Japanese politics, so seeing people that know more than me say the Abe assassination has something to do with the Moonies has me thinking these guys were behind it

Please do not disabuse me of this notion

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That’s kind of a specific litmus test. Trump likely got more Americans unjustly killed with his terrible COVID response.

I have a hard time conceiving of a reality where the death toll in America ends up much lower than it was. A lot of the factors that contributed are just baked in, and state governments Dem and Republican were always going to be itching to go. There wasn’t going to be a president anywhere on the political spectrum with the stomach or ability to enforce a draconian, federally-mandated 50-state lockdown for as long as it was going to take.

I’m sure the corruption and incompetence as far as how resources were delegated made an influence, but I doubt it’s a night a day difference if that stuff is better handled.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 14, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Freaquency posted:

I don’t know anything about Japanese politics, so seeing people that know more than me say the Abe assassination has something to do with the Moonies has me thinking these guys were behind it

Please do not disabuse me of this notion

Apologies for disabusing you of your notion, but you don't have to know anything about Japanese politics to know about the Moonies, it's a cult that's probably bigger in America than in Japan and they own the Washington Times.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I've always wanted to know what President has the most hands on direct kills on him.

GHWB is probably the most recent President that personally did, Grant probably has a good amount. Teddy probably has some.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Skwirl posted:

Apologies for disabusing you of your notion, but you don't have to know anything about Japanese politics to know about the Moonies, it's a cult that's probably bigger in America than in Japan and they own the Washington Times.

I specifically asked for the opposite of this

e:

Guze posted:

I've always wanted to know what President has the most hands on direct kills on him.

GHWB is probably the most recent President that personally did, Grant probably has a good amount. Teddy probably has some.

Teddy specifically went to Cuba to fight because he thought he needed to get a confirmed kill to be seen as legit. Otherwise he just hunted stuff

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 14, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Freaquency posted:

I specifically asked for the opposite of this

That's why I started with an apology.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

I have a hard time conceiving of a reality where the death toll in America ends up much lower than it was. A lot of the factors that contributed are just baked in, and state governments Dem and Republican were always going to be itching to go. There wasn’t going to be a president anywhere on the political spectrum with the stomach or ability to enforce a draconian, federally-mandated 50-state lockdown for as long as it was going to take.

I’m sure the corruption and incompetence as far as how resources were delegated made an influence, but I doubt it’s a night a day difference if that stuff is better handled.

Mostly his very early response was awful. Downplayed it constantly, called in the Wuhan Flu which helped perpetuate anti-Asian attacks, actively denied resources to states, and absolutely zero coordination from the federal level. Not to mention the dismantling of departments specifically designed to find signs of new diseases that probably could have helped everyone.

Even the perfect president would have seen a ton of dead from COVID, but Trump did a lot of things to make it worse. Doing nothing probably would’ve been better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guze posted:

It really depends on what you mean by "hands on," If it's actually held a weapon and killed someone with it George Washington has to be on the shortlist. If it's "make a decision that you absolutely know is gonna kill people" it's probably Truman. if it's "make a dumb decision than ends up killing a lot of people but you didn't think it would" there's a lot of contenders, but GWB has to be up there with the amount of dead people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hands on, I mean pulled trigger personally. Not sending people to war or via indifference to something like covid.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

General Dog posted:

Really he was probably the person that *could* have had the best possible outcome. If he had done a fireside chat saying "hey, the experts talked to me and this is some serious poo poo, we should buckle down and take it seriously", people might have actually done it. If it was Hillary in the white house saying "we're going to shut things down for a while, mask up", the resistance probably would have been even worse.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I have some neighbors who still have a “Harris and Biden too” sign in their window. They’re great people, but I have absolutely zero clue what they see in Kamala Harris.

A lot of people like the representation that she brings (being the first female VP, and a mixed BIPOC) without realizing she does not fundamentally do anything to help said groups.

In 2020, Seattle had a female black police chief who fuckin' sucked and quit at the height of the George Floyd protests. A whole lot of tut tutting about how "liberal seattle ran out a female black cop, so much for the tolerant left" but fundamentally could not answer the question of "how did she make minority lives better" (spoiler: she didn't) and it's the same case as Kamala.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guze posted:

Hands on, I mean pulled trigger personally. Not sending people to war or via indifference to something like covid.

Then it's almost certainly Washington or Teddy Roosevelt.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Post Civil War presidents who were officers probably

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

seiferguy posted:

A lot of people like the representation that she brings (being the first female VP, and a mixed BIPOC) without realizing she does not fundamentally do anything to help said groups.

In 2020, Seattle had a female black police chief who fuckin' sucked and quit at the height of the George Floyd protests. A whole lot of tut tutting about how "liberal seattle ran out a female black cop, so much for the tolerant left" but fundamentally could not answer the question of "how did she make minority lives better" (spoiler: she didn't) and it's the same case as Kamala.

See also my own mayor Lori Lightfoot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Post Civil War presidents who were officers probably

If we're going with "pulled the trigger" I don't know if any post civil war presidents killed anyone. I mean maybe Kennedy killed some people in WW2, and GHWB killed Kennedy, but he didn't actually pull the trigger.

I can't prove it, but I really think it's probably George Washington, some loving gnarly poo poo happened during the French-Indian war pre-revolution.

Oh, maybe Andrew Jackson, I don't know how hands on he was when he was overseeing the genocide of First Nations people in America.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
When the new doggo wants my attention/affection she peeks at me out of the corner of her eye from a several feet away and hopes I notice while staying perfectly still

When other doggo wants attention he runs full speed at me and loving tackles me (this is guaranteed to happen if I'm giving the girl some attention)

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Clinton is an all time terrible President.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

If we're going with "pulled the trigger" I don't know if any post civil war presidents killed anyone. I mean maybe Kennedy killed some people in WW2, and GHWB killed Kennedy, but he didn't actually pull the trigger.

I can't prove it, but I really think it's probably George Washington, some loving gnarly poo poo happened during the French-Indian war pre-revolution.

Oh, maybe Andrew Jackson, I don't know how hands on he was when he was overseeing the genocide of First Nations people in America.

George HW Bush was a torpedo bomber pilot in WWII so he probably killed someone unless he just sucked

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Clinton accelerated the deregulation when it comes to banking including lobbying, is almost without doubt a rapist and flew on a paedophile, sex traffickers jet more than the guy who actually owned it.

Him and his missus should probably be hanged at the neck for their crimes against their people but ya know... That's frowned upon for some reason.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/moodyforelpaso/status/1547291847332069376?s=20&t=RqwKjgJHRvAwtzPgvZCUhA

Jfc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Clinton accelerated the deregulation when it comes to banking including lobbying, is almost without doubt a rapist and flew on a paedophile, sex traffickers jet more than the guy who actually owned it.

Him and his missus should probably be hanged at the neck for their crimes against their people but ya know... That's frowned upon for some reason.

He didn't frown on hanging, executed a mentally challenged guy even when he was governor.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I'm pretty confident in saying that every President in my lifetime ranks high in the worst 15. Just an incredible lineup of awful people

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Skwirl posted:

I meant all the presidents who were civil war officers. Mckinely was an enlisted and fought at Antietam for example so he probably shot a lot of dudes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A best-case scenario for America's COVID response involves a strong administrative state, which Dems are too scared to use due to PTSD from Reagan and which the GOP only uses to victimize certain populations Dems also do this sometimes. There's just little to no trust in the federal government right now, for a lot of reasons good and bad. Trump literally had people at his rallies in 2021 who were booing when he talked about how everyone should get his big beautiful vaccine. But you kinda need a strong administrative state in order to tackle global-scale problems like this, and we saw (and continue to see) the opposite of that with COVID and each state running out its own response, sometimes in competition with its neighbors. It worries me greatly!

General Dog posted:

George HW Bush was a torpedo bomber pilot in WWII so he probably killed someone unless he just sucked

Disappointed in you for not leading with JFK here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not to sound overly harsh but the USA was in trouble with covid regardless of response. Too many people with far, far too many comorbidities.

Your response wasn't a lot worse than most other nations. Just a whole lot more unhealthy people without access to adequate care.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
True, but an early response of emphasizing caution and responsibility instead of one saying gently caress Science would have given us a better window re getting people vaccinated before the big waves hit.

My entirely uneducated guess on this is a difference of 100k-200k lives lost.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah maybe but I mean they still can't settle on the correct course of action anywhere in the world so the mileage was always going to vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There was always going to be pushback on regular things that might have mattered a little bit like wearing a mask now and then, but making it a top down culture war instead of a bottom up one I do think mattered. Like this didn't just organically happen, it was driven from the office of the president almost immediately. Seems to me the US did better than Brazil, I'm not sure anyone else did worse.

Also a complete lack of interest in testing and tracing which pretty much continues, so that part may have been the same.