Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Reminder that Jonathan did apologize to Nancy about the sexism but overall he does kinda suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Jonathan has an old man face

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jonathan and Mike are the worst characters on the show IMO. Jonathan because he's written like an incel insert where they get their dream girl, and Mike because he also doesn't do anything and is smug and insincere. Jonathan did at least have that emotional moment with Will, though, but even Mike's attempt at an emotional moment when he's speaking to El as she is "piggybacking" came off as forced. Neither of them have any believable chemistry with their girlfriend. At least the show is acknowledging that with Jonathan, though, I guess.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Kaedric posted:

You should see his dick.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kaedric posted:

He was arrested for coke after season 1. I always assumed hard partying was aging him faster than others.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Watching the Stranger Things finale. They should've dumpstered the entire jock storyline, that character is just the worst.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Thanks for that. If you combine it with the recap for Vol 1, which I somehow missed too, it's pretty long but it led me to one near-secret stretching back to S1 I'm grateful for: the Duffers say that scene with Steve going back into the Byers house to fight the Demogorgon (everyone was mentioning it a page back) was originally supposed to be Will and Jonathan's awful Sean-Penn-looking father. That hurt my head and heart. God what a different (worse) show we'd have gotten. Will, Jonathan, Joyce, Nancy, Dustin, and of course Steve with different or worse stories. Though in that hypothetical show Steve was supposedly dead by that point.

Also an interesting bit about Brenner and Eleven. Some jesting, some process and trying to justify your character, probably some overjustifying or excusing. Not sure where those lines are exactly.

Most interesting thing I thought was what wasn't there at all. Nothing about Will and his love for Mike, pretty much his only plot this season, which I assume means they're covering for how we've only seen the dorsal fin of that story and just how much it'll be a major thing in S5.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

Watching the Stranger Things finale. They should've dumpstered the entire jock storyline, that character is just the worst.

He's also quite pointless, nothing he does changes what happens to Max and Hawkins I think. He dies in the end but may have died just as horribly at home in bed like many Hawkins residents.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They should've done something gutsy with the Jock, like have him severely scarred but alive enough to say poo poo about what happened. Heck, have him missing his legs but awake and in another section of the same hospital Max is in.

Also, I hope Steve continues to be awesome and helps Will be himself and get over Mike.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CeeJee posted:

He's also quite pointless, nothing he does changes what happens to Max and Hawkins I think. He dies in the end but may have died just as horribly at home in bed like many Hawkins residents.

I like how he whips the town into a satanic panic vigilante frenzy, and the only follow up to this is one guy calls the jocks when he sees the kids.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finished the season 4 finale last night. It was definitely whelming.

Went on way too long because every character had an 8-page monologue. Seriously, the writers must have had a checklist that they went down and made sure that everyone had their moment to monologue about some boring poo poo.

I enjoyed the first part of the season but the last two episodes weren't great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Went on way too long because every character had an 8-page monologue. Seriously, the writers must have had a checklist that they went down and made sure that everyone had their moment to monologue about some boring poo poo.

Not everyone, I guess Hop's Russian prison guard friend went back to his family, or maybe he got picked up by the state department when they returned to the US in their helicopter (?), just use your imagination. Maybe he's in a cell with Paul Reiser.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tender Bender posted:

Not everyone, I guess Hop's Russian prison guard friend went back to his family, or maybe he got picked up by the state department when they returned to the US in their helicopter (?), just use your imagination. Maybe he's in a cell with Paul Reiser.

Given that he was a guard at the super secret prison if he played his cards right he could be living high on the hog, the government loves to pay defectors even if their intelligence is of negligible value.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Given that he was a guard at the super secret prison if he played his cards right he could be living high on the hog, the government loves to pay defectors even if their intelligence is of negligible value.

He's gonna work for Argyle at Hawkin's new Surfer Boy Pizza franchise. All your favorites are back for season 5, folks!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I hope they add another dozen characters next season and every episode is 3 hours long as we follow their wacky 80’s adventures.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hobo Clown posted:

He's gonna work for Argyle at Hawkin's new Surfer Boy Pizza franchise. All your favorites are back for season 5, folks!

You joke, but he deserves a break and a nice boss like Argyle would be a great chance for him to just chill out and figure himself out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
With all this talk of the groups going back to season 1 I think it'd be hilarious if Max, Robin, Murray, and Argyle all disappeared with no mention at all. And Will gets demoted back to a recurring character

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And Will’s dad is back as a recurring character.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They really hit the nail on the head naming him Lonnie.

Every Lonnie in the world is just a big loser.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hopper being all "OK, I'm sick of loving around and pretending this isn't going on. All you people who don't know what's going on, come with me. We're going on a lil' field trip to fill you in on what's REALLY been going on..." and he just takes them to the upside Down one by one in a controlled glimpse of what's really happening via one of the more stable remaining gates. Joyce and Murray have been given jobs at the PD as the Crackpot Consultants because they are ALWAYS right.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tender Bender posted:

Something I just thought of: what the hell happened to the Bad Army Guy they built up all season? He conducted a raid on the lab, kills a bunch of people trying to get to El, then nothing? Or did I overlook how they wrapped up his arc?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Something I just thought of: what the hell happened to the Bad Army Guy they built up all season? He conducted a raid on the lab, kills a bunch of people trying to get to El, then nothing? Or did I overlook how they wrapped up his arc?

Nope, the last time we see him is walking up out of the bunker into the burning wreckage of his chopper and trucks. Pretty sure he'll be back as an antagonist in S5.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Hughmoris posted:

Eleven conveniently brings the helicopter down right on top of all of the vehicles they had driven out to the silo, so they can’t give chase. As for why they don’t just go straight to Hawkins as soon as they’re mobile again, …

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

They did not wrap up his arc, I would assume intentionally.

Leaving him with Owens in the lab is a cliffhanger for next season. Does he torture/kill Owens? Does Owens convince him that they’re trying to get El to save the world?

Either way I would guess army guy ends up leading the military operations in Hawkins in s5.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Eleven conveniently brings the helicopter down right on top of all of the vehicles they had driven out to the silo, so they can’t give chase. As for why they don’t just go straight to Hawkins as soon as they’re mobile again, …
I don't think anyone knows El is in Hawkins yet (and she wasn't physically there until the epilogue), and even if they did I suspect they'll want to back off a little bit or try a more subtle approach given that she can destroy helicopters with her mind.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't think anyone knows El is in Hawkins yet (and she wasn't physically there until the epilogue), and even if they did I suspect they'll want to back off a little bit or try a more subtle approach given that she can destroy helicopters with her mind.

The army guy is going to be the human villain in S5 who keeps Owens locked up as his personal Upside Down expert until he gets murked by Vecna or whatever. He doesn't really have an arc, he just exists to be the menacing motivating factor to justify moving whichever configuration of characters to the next set piece.

He's not hunting down Eleven because that's not where the story is yet. Thinking about it rationally would lead to questions like "what's stopping him from putting a sniper on top of a building in Hawkins with a clear shot of Hopper's cabin?"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

High calibre scoped rifles really put a stop to a lot of magical advantages.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

THE BAR posted:

High calibre scoped rifles really put a stop to a lot of magical advantages.

It annoyed the hell out of me how long Brenner lived after multiple shots from that thing. Just let him die instead of doing a movie monologue

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It annoyed the hell out of me how long Brenner lived after multiple shots from that thing. Just let him die instead of doing a movie monologue

...And did he actually even die? My bet is 'No'.

He was still moving on his own power in the last shot he was in.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It seemed like a final resolution scene to me, what with 11 telling him off and the slow zoom out. They already did a death fake out for him, so if he's still alive that'd be pretty dumb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It would be insanely stupid if they bring Brenner back again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was definitely a lingering sendoff for the character and probably especially the actor who played him so well. The guy’s bleeding out with no way to get help and only a guy who wants to kill him and a guy he betrayed within like 50 miles. Neither of who have a car.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The dude survived a demogorgan attack and you think a few bullets are gonna stop him?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The episode is essentially named after him so that implies some sort of finality to me.

Also, Jonathan’s arc gave us the line “so Jonathan how did you like the pull-out?” from the show’s megachad.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 15, 2022

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I think Brenner is dead, but since Vecna plays on people's guilt and fear it doesn't preclude him showing up in season five as a mental ghosty whatsit. More Modine more good tbh.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a little more to Brenner’s story re: what he was doing in the 50s and how he knew Vecna’s mom. Digitally de-aged Modine loving Vecna’s mom in a Freddy Krueger vision is ok by me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah Brenner is 100% more involved in his "Children" than it seems. We never find out the Creel mother's sins and there are theories that she cheated on her husband with Brenner and may actually be 01's father.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah Brenner is 100% more involved in his "Children" than it seems. We never find out the Creel mother's sins and there are theories that she cheated on her husband with Brenner and may actually be 01's father.

I'm banking on the idea that Henry was just too dumb to realize that guilt is normal for people to judge themselves harshley.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hughmoris posted:

I also just finished it tonight. And I'll agree the last episode for sure dragged on way longer than it needed too. But on the flip side, there is also many different points that a lesser show could have used as a cliffhanger into the next season. But instead they kept progressing the story farther along (to the actual cliffhanger of course...)

It did feel like the writers were doing a checklist of sorts, but maybe also you could argue that they were throwing darts trying to make an emotional scene stick with you until they release season 5... There really is so many emotional strings pulled in the last 30 minutes, it's truly insane. And also if Vecna can brake their bones, why can't eleven just snap them back into place! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I also just finished it tonight. And I'll agree the last episode for sure dragged on way longer than it needed too. But on the flip side, there is also many different points that a lesser show could have used as a cliffhanger into the next season. But instead they kept progressing the story farther along (to the actual cliffhanger of course...)

It did feel like the writers were doing a checklist of sorts, but maybe also you could argue that they were throwing darts trying to make an emotional scene stick with you until they release season 5... There really is so many emotional strings pulled in the last 30 minutes, it's truly insane. And also if Vecna can brake their bones, why can't eleven just snap them back into place! :smug:

Because that's not how... breaking works? If you put the two halves of that pencil back together again it'll just fall apart again.