Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

larper posted:

get a different stem though, adjustables look like poo poo
who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I quit riding on roads here, period, when we had to take a bypass road around the Montour Trail and two people actively tried to run us over and screamed poo poo at us in the course of twenty minutes. One of them, a Jeep driver (always a Jeep driver) flew up behind my wife at top speed, slammed the brakes a few feet from her, and leaned on the horn. Had my wife been startled and fallen she'd have certainly been run over.

Sorry that happened to your wife, that driver deserves to suck lead. That poo poo can be so demoralizing and discouraging from riding. When I get that I pull over and take some deep breaths with the 4-7-8 method.My girlfriend is just getting started riding and I'm afraid to bring her on main roads because even people honking seems to really put her into a panic.

Nothing that bad happened on my ride thankfully. I have heard the driver culture in pittsburgh is extremely toxic though. The jeep (4x4 ones) drivers were actually surprisingly courteous out here, I had no problems with them. The most common knuckle dragging r*tard car was a black jeep liberty, or the bloated midsize amerikkkan SUV type car in general.

The funniest part of the trip was in a parking lot in some poo poo towne in NY near white plains. I was turning right in the lot, and some guy in a cop tint bulldozer turning left floored it to try to get in front of me, jammed on his brakes, then yelled "you need to learn how to drive that thing better" out of his window lol. He parked in the fire lane in front of some shop and left his truck idling. I gave him the finger on my way out of the lot and said "gently caress off mate" and he clearly wanted so badly to get into it with me, but was too pussy to actually get out of the truck, so I rode off on my way. Luckily it was rail trail from that town onward so it was easy to forget about the experience.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

mystes posted:

who gives a poo poo

You clearly have not spent enough time on FGG to be riding a single speed. That bike is wasted on you

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

larper posted:

I have heard the driver culture in pittsburgh is extremely toxic though.

It is the worst place I have ever driven in my life. Chicago drivers are downright thoughtful and courteous in comparison.

A few years back I lived in an apartment building about 600 yards from a grocery store and would just walk over instead of driving, I'd have people actually pull up and scream "GET A loving CAR" at me.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

It is the worst place I have ever driven in my life. Chicago drivers are downright thoughtful and courteous in comparison.

A few years back I lived in an apartment building about 600 yards from a grocery store and would just walk over instead of driving, I'd have people actually pull up and scream "GET A loving CAR" at me.

People said that in chicago?

I know its not nyc but theres enough pedestrians and bicyclists for it to be 'normal', at least in cook county

Apr 7, 2003

nah, people said that here in Pittsburgh.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

larper posted:

The funniest part of the trip was in a parking lot in some poo poo towne in NY near white plains. I was turning right in the lot, and some guy in a cop tint bulldozer turning left floored it to try to get in front of me, jammed on his brakes, then yelled "you need to learn how to drive that thing better" out of his window lol. He parked in the fire lane in front of some shop and left his truck idling. I gave him the finger on my way out of the lot and said "gently caress off mate" and he clearly wanted so badly to get into it with me, but was too pussy to actually get out of the truck, so I rode off on my way. Luckily it was rail trail from that town onward so it was easy to forget about the experience.

Required thread viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXblFO4_YQY

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Nobody ever believes me when I talk about the CAFE requirements. gently caress obama

larper
Apr 9, 2019

nah, people said that here in Pittsburgh.

Someone in the phiz discord said that pittsburgh is the most pedestrian hostile city they've ever lived in and I can believe it. I went to the incline there and was astonished at how terrible West Carson & Smithfield was. So many things to trip over, hosed sidewalks, people not even stopping for the walk signal. You could hear cars bottoming out constantly as they blew through it at 40+. All in an intersection that serves one of the bigger tourist attractions in the city

Apr 7, 2003

I was crossing a residential street once on my way to classes, and the guy stopped at the sign that I was crossing in front of jumped out of his car and lost his poo poo at me for crossing.

I wouldn't say it's the most pedestrian unfriendly city in the country (compared to anything in Texas it's heaven), but the city has a very bad case of existing for suburbanites to drive through instead of existing for people to live in.

quote:

West Carson & Smithfield

I live on that T line and that's the station I get off at to go ride the GAP and crossing the street there from the T station is a nightmare.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I presented my letter about the franklin avenue death hill at our neighborhood transpo committee. turns out also that in the upper section of the hill (east part), some children that go to pratt school need a bus because crossing the street is so dangerous. this would be a 1/2 mile walk max.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in the graph at 4:30, what caused sedan/wagon weight to drop so much in the late 1970s? response to the oil crisis?

i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Jul 14, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

in the graph at 4:30, what caused sedan/wagon weight to drop so much in the late 1970s? response to the oil crisis?

i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy

Correct, moving to monocoque fwd designs in reaction to the oil crisis annihilating full size sales. Big Three executives were convinced that there was no future in premium small cars because size = prestige and in their minds buyers moving up the brand ladder would always want a larger car. Then the BMWs and Mercedes started showing up and eating their high end lunch and the oil crisis exacerbated it. They started downsizing but they never regained the lead they lost to imports in that market ever again.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i was the only bike commuter when i lived in oklahoma, and pickup trucks frequently threatened to run me over, and i had an open pop bottle thrown in my face and it spilled all over me as i was riding to my going away party. when i moved back to oregon, my first pickup interaction was a guy trying to turn and he was over the bike path from his driveway, and he backed up and apologized profusely. felt so good to be back.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm guessing "skip" is the correct answer because bikes are invisible to drivers

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Doesn't look like anything to me.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol the cops were out in town today ticketing cyclists for riding without helmets and not getting off their bikes to cross at pedestrian crossings

Yet to see any evidence of hospitalisations caused by cyclists in this city

Lol gently caress, I haven't seen that kind of thing in Auckland, but that sounds exactly like what the pigs in Sydney would do. Sometime many years ago there the government had the brilliant idea of increasing fines to do with bicycles up to the same level as those for motorbike offenses, so cycling without a helmet is now a $344 spot fine (but a court could impose up to a $2200 fine).

Also I remember a story about a cement truck driver who ran over and killed a cyclist and his defense was he thought he could fit past them without changing lanes. Truck driver was found not guilty and got away with no punishment, but hey the cyclist was probably wearing a helmet at least.

(Oh I found the cement truck case, so loving infuriating: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/one-metre-between-life-and-death-20130519-2jugh.html)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Weird how the worst countries tend to be anglo dominated. Oh well, better not read into this at all

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
On the walk back from dinner just now, we were in a crosswalk with a walk sign with 3 other people and a dude blasts straight through the intersection at an oooold red light at 40 mph. He inevitably got stuck in traffic like 200 feet away in the direction we were walking, so I took the opportunity to cuss his rear end out and tell him to pay attention. Then he pulled over and jumped out of the car and wanted to fight me, saying he didn't actually hit anyone so why do I care, and he only saw 2 people in the crosswalk instead of 5 like its loving bowlling. Instead of possibly going to jail or getting shot tonight I told him I accepted his apology and moved on.

The look on his face when he got out his car and realized I had about 5 inches and 60lb on him was priceless though. Cars make everyone into a tough guy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

heated game moment posted:

Instead of possibly going to jail or getting shot tonight I told him I accepted his apology and moved on.

you should have hopped in his car when he got out and fought him with car. if you fight in car you get judicial immunity. i dont make the rules, thats just how it works

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

you should have hopped in his car when he got out and fought him with car. if you fight in car you get judicial immunity. i dont make the rules, thats just how it works

Stealing a car is a major crime that warrants many years spent in a cage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Freeman in the car is the new freeman on the land

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you have a right to scream at anyone you want as long as you are in your car, it's one of the more recent amendments I think

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the baby bombers on nextdoor are scared

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Blackhawk posted:

Also I remember a story about a cement truck driver who ran over and killed a cyclist and his defense was he thought he could fit past them without changing lanes. Truck driver was found not guilty and got away with no punishment, but hey the cyclist was probably wearing a helmet at least.

(Oh I found the cement truck case, so loving infuriating: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/one-metre-between-life-and-death-20130519-2jugh.html)

I'm probably more car brained than most in this thread but this kind of poo poo makes me the most upset. The larger the vehicle you are operating the more damage you can cause, so you should have have more responsibility to be cautious. The only way it seems people get punished for slamming their car into something is if the other thing is another car. I think a lot about a video of a state cop yelling "driving is a privilege, not a right" at a sov cit loser and I really wish it was treated that way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Xaris posted:

Good, gently caress them

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

I quit riding on roads here, period, when we had to take a bypass road around the Montour Trail and two people actively tried to run us over and screamed poo poo at us in the course of twenty minutes. One of them, a Jeep driver (always a Jeep driver) flew up behind my wife at top speed, slammed the brakes a few feet from her, and leaned on the horn. Had my wife been startled and fallen she'd have certainly been run over.

Funny how this kinda stuff happens to you repeatedly, meanwhile nobody else ever encounters it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:psyduck: do you ride a bike in the US? you've genuinely never had that sort of poo poo happen to you?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
When I ran a lot I used to have people throw things at me out their window or scream slurs at me. I'm sure the hate is tremendously amplified on a bike when you are 'taking up their space.''

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Someone's about to discover they live in a bubble...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lil poopendorfer posted:

Funny how this kinda stuff happens to you repeatedly, meanwhile nobody else ever encounters it

I don't even ride bikes regularly and I can attest to what PFC is saying. People drive like crazy people, and it gets even worse if you're driving something that isn't a car.

Ask your friends that have motorcycles or mopeds how people drive around them. I can say with absolute certainty it's no different than how people drive around bikes.

Apr 7, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

you're right! I must have done something to provoke these people and deserve their behavior, perhaps by existing or by daring to be on their road.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Someone in my apartment complex bought one of these https://sherrodtrucks.com/ford-f-150-lz-1-edition-by-sherrod/

It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Easily $80,000 after taxes + fees

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lil poopendorfer posted:

The same kinda things happen to me I just post less (not a dig pfc)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

heated game moment posted:

Someone in my apartment complex bought one of these https://sherrodtrucks.com/ford-f-150-lz-1-edition-by-sherrod/

It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. Easily $80,000 after taxes + fees
all i gotta say is

direct action gets the goods

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

all i gotta say is

direct action gets the goods

loving with a vehicle with PERSONAL PROPERTY/ HANDGUN SAFE? Count me out, I’m young to die!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Xaris posted:

they don’t even slash the tires they just deflate them with a pebble in the stem lol

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

lil poopendorfer posted:

gently caress you, I can't even remember the number of times I've hard a car try to kill me on a bicycle, or yell or throw poo poo at me, tell me I should get off the road, get on the road, have registration, have more lights, brighter clothes etc. Ride a bike on the road in most non-euro countries for a few months I dare you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

should at least count as a felony home invasion

learn the one trick prosecutors hate to avoid any charges: use a car.

burgulary? do it drive-thrugh!

drunken transportation? you better not be walking or taking a bike, only car!

political assassination? 4 wheels good, one barrel bad!