Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so one thing this thread’s flow of upgrading a decent amount has got me wondering: what do you all do with your old tv? craigslist or something similar? any ebay? i may just want to buy whatever three year old tv you all are upgrading from.

similarly, do 3-5 year old tv hold their value decently well? is there a decent discount in those?

and similarly, is there a good secondhand tv market online? i imagine ebay is the best, but maybe there’s a better option.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
G1 is brighter, has the oled evo panel (some C1s have the older panel), includes the wall mount, and has better speakers. Probably worth the extra $100.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

so one thing this thread’s flow of upgrading a decent amount has got me wondering: what do you all do with your old tv? craigslist or something similar? any ebay? i may just want to buy whatever three year old tv you all are upgrading from.

similarly, do 3-5 year old tv hold their value decently well? is there a decent discount in those?

and similarly, is there a good secondhand tv market online? i imagine ebay is the best, but maybe there’s a better option.

I'm too lazy to sell poo poo online, so when I got my 77" CX the 65" Vizio went down to the basement. The 52" Samsung plasma in the basement then got moved out to the garage as a way too fancy shop tv. With luck I won't be replacing the LG for at least 10 years.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm sorely tempted by the Costco LG 65" C1 deal, but I'm also surprisingly content with my lovely refurb Samsung 44" LED from 2014 from when that was the best I could afford. I guess it's to my benefit to have abysmally low standards, but I get the intense pang to upgrade and splurge at least twice a year, thus far with no ultimate purchase.

In store you may be able to get it cheaper at Costco now. Online it was $1599 before it went out of stock but in warehouse (atleast at mine) it's $1449 with the 1 year mfg, 1 year Costco, and 3 year Allstate warranty. The * on any pricing means it will not be restocked for those that don't know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

abelwingnut posted:

what do you all do with your old tv? craigslist or something similar? any ebay? i may just want to buy whatever three year old tv you all are upgrading from.

They go in the kids room/office/bedroom or are picked up by the city's Large Item service.

Shipping TVs via ebay is a loving hassle and a half, and why buy a 3 year old LED with 2500 hours on it when you can get a cheapass TVL for lile $150? You'll likely pay more for shipping than the TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my 55" plasma with overheating issues is my basement tv for this reason.

Even then, I have too many perfectly functional but outdated TVs that I have no use for that I really don't want to throw out, but also have no use for me.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
I donated mine to Mutual Aid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mutual Aid is an organizational theory and not a specific organization itself. You need to have places locally that will accept TVs for donation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

jisforjosh posted:

In store you may be able to get it cheaper at Costco now. Online it was $1599 before it went out of stock but in warehouse (atleast at mine) it's $1449 with the 1 year mfg, 1 year Costco, and 3 year Allstate warranty. The * on any pricing means it will not be restocked for those that don't know.

Thanks. Yeah, that's effectively the same as the price online, where it comes with a $150 gift card until the end of today. I'm car-free, so I'll take the free shipping instead of risk carting the thing on my ebike's trailer through the city! :jollywell:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Watching Fellowship of the Ring in 4K Dolby Vision is eye opening. I'm seeing details in set design and costuming that I never really paid attention to after 100s of viewings over the last 2 decades.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've got the 77" C1 on the way. Really pumped. I'm still using an FHD resolution tv. Now shopping for a new TV stand!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jisforjosh posted:

Watching Fellowship of the Ring in 4K Dolby Vision is eye opening. I'm seeing details in set design and costuming that I never really paid attention to after 100s of viewings over the last 2 decades.

What will really bake your noodle is the LOTR 4k transfers are largely derided for employing way too much DNR that scrubs away detail. Also, all the VFX shots ae upsampled from 2k so they aren't even true 4k.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TheDK posted:

I've got the 77" C1 on the way. Really pumped. I'm still using an FHD resolution tv. Now shopping for a new TV stand!

Hanging or an actual stand? Curious about an actual stand. Our tv console is sliiiightly too high for the remote to turn on from the couch and it is likely because the soundbar is blocking the IR sensor. My wife is justified in saying “We did not spend $3000 on a tv to have to stand up to turn it on and off” and I can’t argue with her on that.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hanging or an actual stand? Curious about an actual stand. Our tv console is sliiiightly too high for the remote to turn on from the couch and it is likely because the soundbar is blocking the IR sensor. My wife is justified in saying “We did not spend $3000 on a tv to have to stand up to turn it on and off” and I can’t argue with her on that.

Looking for an actual stand/console for the TV to sit atop. The 77" is pretty wide at ~68" so I'm looking for something long. We're currently using an Ikea bookshelf turned on it's side and it's too tall but doesn't prevent using the remote. Current piece I'm looking at is 27" tall. Shorter than our current stand and plenty wide with lots of storage for devices and things.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TheDK posted:

This might be the thread record for biggest upgrade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He's going to smell colors.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TheDK posted:

Looking for an actual stand/console for the TV to sit atop. The 77" is pretty wide at ~68" so I'm looking for something long. We're currently using an Ikea bookshelf turned on it's side and it's too tall but doesn't prevent using the remote. Current piece I'm looking at is 27" tall. Shorter than our current stand and plenty wide with lots of storage for devices and things.

I've got the Brimnes from IKEA and it's wide enough for my 77" TCL. YMMV on the looks but it's sturdy, low to the ground and the drawers are handy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Good price but 48 is too big for my bedroom.:(

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

morestuff posted:

I've got the Brimnes from IKEA and it's wide enough for my 77" TCL. YMMV on the looks but it's sturdy, low to the ground and the drawers are handy.

Thanks for the rec. I'm upgrading from a Hisense 500U6070, which I can't find any info on, but yes this is going to be a massive upgrade.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh y’all talking actual TV stands. Good luck finding something wide enough! To make it aesthetically pleasing you’re gonna need something at least 78” wide. We ended up with a 80” cabinet from west elm that should do the trick and is lovely.

I need to replace the pedestal on my 77” C1 due to my issues.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

65" C1 is on woot new for $1500.

https://www.woot.com/offers/lg-oled-c1-series-65-alexa-built-in-4k-smart-tv-new-13?utm_medium

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The 65 A80J is on a lightning deal for 1399 and 10% back with a Prime credit card = 1260 at Amazon. That is fairly nuts.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What up 77" C1 buddies! My entertainment center is big enough for the TV, but from reading it looks like yeah, the TV's stand is so low that a soundbar can't go in front without blocking stuff. I bought this silly thing to go underneath the TV -- seems to be long enough for the stand, just about deep enough, and elevates it 2 inches so the soundbar won't be in the way of anything.

TV shows up on Friday, so we'll see how well it works!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

KS posted:

The 65 A80J is on a lightning deal for 1399 and 10% back with a Prime credit card = 1260 at Amazon. That is fairly nuts.

Man, absolutely torn between getting the 65" model or shelling out $2400 for the 77" which is also a really good deal

edit: gently caress it

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 13, 2022

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
My 2 77"' G2's are being installed tomorrow. How do I go about calibrating them properly? Or at least as best I can without buying any equipment?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

fyallm posted:

My 2 77"' G2's are being installed tomorrow. How do I go about calibrating them properly? Or at least as best I can without buying any equipment?

Just hire someone richie rich

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

I found FB Marketplace to be amazingly quick at selling stuff in general, including my previous television.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

BonoMan posted:

Just hire someone richie rich

Great advice, thanks

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

fyallm posted:

Great advice, thanks

You can always go to rtings and start there. Then just adjust to taste.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/g2-oled/settings

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, my 55" plasma with overheating issues is my basement tv for this reason.

Even then, I have too many perfectly functional but outdated TVs that I have no use for that I really don't want to throw out, but also have no use for me.

I need to add a room to my house just for the retired-but-kinda-working TVs, VCRs, CD players, DVD players, etc. that I can't make myself throw away.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

I just went from a 2005 model 42" Panasonic 42PD50U (480p) to a 55" A80J.

The Panasonic has 50,000 service hours on it, still works and looks good, except the black levels aren't...black anymore. But it does such a good job downscaling HD, no one would suspect it's only 480P unless you tell them. The new Sony is beautiful but somehow I doubt it will go 50,000 service hours. Then again the Panny cost $2000 when I bought it, so they could afford to use good parts inside, and actually make it in Japan.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

KS posted:

Holy poo poo this is a fantastic deal. I recently posted about how I was about to pull the trigger on a 55" A80J for $999 to be my office TV. I ended up not doing that because my work offered to let me "borrow*" a 48" CX that they had lying around for free. So even though I'm getting a mostly comparable TV for free, I'm still tempted to get that 65" A80J because the deal is just TOO GOOD.

*"borrow" almost certainly means "keep" in this context. They're already looking to get rid of it, there's almost no way they ask for it back after it's another year or two older.

EDIT: Ah, the deal is over. Good, saved me from myself :laugh:

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 14, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Sigh, I think I need to get on this 65" C1 train now. Sale at Visions for $2200 (CAD) ends today. Everywhere else is sitting at around $2500 or going out of stock. I was hoping to snag one for closer to $2000, and also not for another month-ish when I move, but I don't think that's feasible now.

Upgrading from a Vizio M60-C3. Hoping it'll be bright enough to not be so annoying to watch when the sun is up (condo has a fuckload of windows. New condo will be even brighter). Currently any night time scene in a show is nearly impossible to see.

Anyone in Canada see lower prices anywhere else? I'm watching Best Buy, Costco, Gibby's, Newegg, Source, Brick, and Newegg right now.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 15, 2022

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

Phenotype posted:

What up 77" C1 buddies! My entertainment center is big enough for the TV, but from reading it looks like yeah, the TV's stand is so low that a soundbar can't go in front without blocking stuff. I bought this silly thing to go underneath the TV -- seems to be long enough for the stand, just about deep enough, and elevates it 2 inches so the soundbar won't be in the way of anything.

I'd love to know how this looks when you get it set up. I may need to do something similar.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Having the exact same issue with mine except that I can only move the TV roughly half an inch up before it hits the shelf. Probably just going to cut a piece of plywood to the same width and depth as the stand and the soundbar will be just below the screen and covering the edge of the plywood.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pulled the trigger on an A80J — anyone have any experience using the built-in speakers? Wouldn't mind ditching my soundbar so I can use the legs in low-profile mode

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Getting a real TV, get a real sound system. Or do all goons live in shoeboxes that cant accommodate an actual worthwhile sound system?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

codo27 posted:

Getting a real TV, get a real sound system. Or do all goons live in shoeboxes that cant accommodate an actual worthwhile sound system?

Not an option given my layout and downstairs neighbors.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
TV speakers vary from "sounds ok, could use some bass" to "about as good as my GameBoy Advance Speakers" so anything to replace them is usually a good buy unless it's a 10" sound bar with no sub.

Granted, a lot of Tvs have fun pseudo-atmos processing, it can sound artificial.

codo27 posted:

What's it like posting from whatever era housing doesn't take up 65% of your monthly income?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And where ya gonna put speakers when your TV barely fits above the fireplace and the cabinets are reserved for decorative plants :imunfunny:

It hurts worse that we just moved from a place where the TV was eye level and I had 3.1.2 set up.