Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I wouldn't consider the bank a friend, but I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna just lose all my money betting on GoochToken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

oh poo poo they finally took the FUD filters off. LMAO that the cult leaders all ghosted with the cash and now people finally...FINALLY get it (they're actually gonna get sucked back into this poo poo next week after they find some high interest loans.)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Ughhhh this is the purestrain stuff. I love this. Inject it right into my veins.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

It's weird how people virtually never talk about PayPal as part of his story, considering that is THE reason he hit it big (not that he wasn't well off before).

huh? people talk about it all the time, especially wrt his "expertise" in internet money when it comes to talking about crypto. maybe it's not as prominent now because he sold his stake 20 years ago, and the gain from that sale was a pittance compared to the fortunes spacex and tesla have garnered him, but i definitely see it brought up in the crypto chat space

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Neito posted:

Tribes is the perfect example. "Best game of all time until they hosed it up".

What happened with Tribes? Or are you talking about a more recent version? It’s a shame the game came out before e-sports became a thing. It’s the best fps for it.

And I’m arguing in bad faith here, but you could point to Ultra Renegades and the other mods as examples of people having great ideas about what makes a game fun.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tribes Ascended was so loving fun in terms of mechanics. I'm sad that all games don't have a "go stupid fast and skate on the entire landscape" mechanic.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Guze posted:

I wouldn't consider the bank a friend, but I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna just lose all my money betting on GoochToken.

it always makes me lol when i see cryptobros decrying the concept of the evil bank (correct) and then ignoring CUs and going to crypto "banks" instead (moronic)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dinosaurs! posted:

What happened with Tribes? Or are you talking about a more recent version? It’s a shame the game came out before e-sports became a thing. It’s the best fps for it.

And I’m arguing in bad faith here, but you could point to Ultra Renegades and the other mods as examples of people having great ideas about what makes a game fun.

Tribes 2 is notorious for doing a whole bunch of silly poo poo at the behest of "the community", such as balance changes, in such a way that it ruined what could've been one of the all-time great games.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tony Hawk's determined to torpedo his legacy at a loving Type 93 Torpedo efficiency level.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1547583802452480001

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

huh? people talk about it all the time, especially wrt his "expertise" in internet money when it comes to talking about crypto. maybe it's not as prominent now because he sold his stake 20 years ago, and the gain from that sale was a pittance compared to the fortunes spacex and tesla have garnered him, but i definitely see it brought up in the crypto chat space

Well, I never see it. It's always just SapceX and Tesla, to the point where it feels like a lot of the fanboys aren't even aware of the paypal connection. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ughhhh this is the purestrain stuff. I love this. Inject it right into my veins.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

UPenn is always the choice of rich failsons when they need to get their degrees

Isn’t UPenn/Wharton where trump (failson) and all of his failsons went? Also, Dennis Reynolds

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Splitgate kind of has some of that magic, but yeah. Tribes was amazing.
I hope the IP doesn't sit unused forevermore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

these people are so loving stupid lmao

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, I never see it. It's always just SapceX and Tesla, to the point where it feels like a lot of the fanboys aren't even aware of the paypal connection. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Paypal doesn't fit neatly into the "billionaire who cares about the future of our species" narrative that attracts a lot of the cultists

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Guze posted:

and if they did, there's a government-run insurance program that will make sure you get your cash back. you don't need to blindly trust your bank, because we've figured out over centuries that blindly trusting private banks is a bad idea, and there should be a system of regulations and insurance in place to keep them in check and handle any failures.

... and of course the history of all that was chucked out by crypto types, because all that boring regulations and insurance poo poo gets in the way of making a quick buck via scams

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it always makes me lol when i see cryptobros decrying the concept of the evil bank (correct) and then ignoring CUs and going to crypto "banks" instead (moronic)
the cryptobros don't deserve credit for recognizing any "evil" in traditional banking, because most of the libertarian-flavored reasons the cryptobros think banks are "evil" have nothing to do with the actual ways they're evil. which is exactly why they were prone to plowing their money into crypto "banks" that are even more brazenly evil and exploitative than the worst of the traditional banks. to them, the problem isn't that elements of traditional banking and investing are exploitative, it's that the cryptobros aren't the ones that benefit from that exploitation.

naturally, it turns out they don't benefit from the cryptobanks' brand of exploitation, either, and it's real funny to watch some of them learn that good and hard

Cacafuego posted:

Isn’t UPenn/Wharton where trump (failson) and all of his failsons went?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cacafuego posted:

Isn’t UPenn/Wharton where trump (failson) and all of his failsons went? Also, Dennis Reynolds

Yes. It’s where the rich like to send their kids to pick up a degree from Wharton before beginning their career of having everything handed to them on their way up the corporate ladder. UPenn is sort of an Ivy League version of a party school. You go there mainly to make connections and jointly bury bodies with other rich people so that you keep that club as insular as possible. This isn’t to say it’s a bad school. Like most schools you get what you put into it. Their medical program is world renowned. But the business school side of it is failsons pretty much all the way down

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

lmaaaaooooo "chasing rates"; that is, going from scam to scam looking for the most ridiculously implausible one you can find

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

I mean sure she says things like "how could you violate my trust like that" and "that was our son's money and you gambled it all away" and "Why didn't you even think to include me on this decision?" but it's clear that she's only in this relationship for the money!!!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

these people are so loving stupid lmao

The OP was treating his PayPal account as a sort of current account, and was holding $27k in it.

Then PayPal froze his account.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

her priorities of not being tethered to a complete goddamn moron

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Foo Diddley posted:

lmaaaaooooo "chasing rates"; that is, going from scam to scam looking for the most ridiculously implausible one you can find

Later down in that same thread:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

all of these people are so loving stupid and yet had 5 or 6 figures to spend on monopoly money

i hate them so much

e: although i guess a lot of it is leveraged because theyre even dumber than i previously thought

Zokari fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 14, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Zokari posted:

all of these people are so loving stupid and yet had 5 or 6 figures to spend on monopoly money

i hate them so much

the good news is a lot of them are:

A: Liars

B: Took out loans to gamble with

C: All of the above

Just like how crypto bros gloat endlessly about having millions, but it's all tied up in some coin or nfts, and it's like bro, you ain't got poo poo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
God this is like meth to me :sickos:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

God this is like meth to me :sickos:

:same:
:yeah:
:sickos:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

the good news is a lot of them are:

A: Liars

B: Took out loans to gamble with

C: All of the above

Just like how crypto bros gloat endlessly about having millions, but it's all tied up in some coin or nfts, and it's like bro, you ain't got poo poo.

don't forget D: stole the money from their wife, because that's happened so many times now it's gotta qualify for a pattern at this point

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes. It’s where the rich like to send their kids to pick up a degree from Wharton before beginning their career of having everything handed to them on their way up the corporate ladder. UPenn is sort of an Ivy League version of a party school. You go there mainly to make connections and jointly bury bodies with other rich people so that you keep that club as insular as possible. This isn’t to say it’s a bad school. Like most schools you get what you put into it. Their medical program is world renowned. But the business school side of it is failsons pretty much all the way down

hang on, what are other business schools like then?

HappyHippo posted:

I don't know how it could get better than this :lmao:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

they get all their "investing" tips from people with a vested interest in getting as many people as possible to put in as much money as possible

none of them think this is weird

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

HappyHippo posted:

somehow i doubt that this guy learned a lesson. or at least, if he did, he learned the wrong one

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ranbo das posted:

DrDisrespect was known for taking videos of people in public bathrooms at conventions, including of a child. Hope he gets everything he deserves.
No he isn't. He was livestreaming from e3 and wandered into a bathroom to use it. His cameraman followed and they continued in character.

Scratch Monkey posted:

UPenn is always the choice of rich failsons when they need to get their degrees
UPenn has a great physics program that falls in and out of the top 10.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The best way to get rich is buy a Monopoly boardgame. The drooling morons at Hasbro stuffed it with $20,580 in USD equivalent, yet only sell it for $29.99!

IDIOTS!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Tony Hawk's determined to torpedo his legacy at a loving Type 93 Torpedo efficiency level.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1547583802452480001

The literal first word in the article is "regrettably" :discourse:

Also the only skating game worth looking forward to is Skate 4.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Criss-cross posted:

The implementation would have to rely on DRM outside of the NFTs itself, NFTs don't get you anything to implement this. An NFT won't download the files for you. They're not a "practical application". Steam could do this right now, "The Blockchain" is entirely superfluous to this idea. Steam already has a database where they assign game ownership to customers.

Well that's the thing, the NFT stuff would have to be one component of the system. It doesn't replace DRM or distribution, but it can be used as part of it. It's more like a license key in that it implies ownership of the game, except instead of being in one distribution platforms database it's on the blockchain. Of course, there is a major roadblock to this in that there is no motive for platforms like Steam, Origin, Epic, etc to respect a decentralized model of ownership. So if someone really wanted to get this working they'd have to somehow get them on board, which would likely be a hell of an uphill battle. You'd probably have to start with some kind of small alternative platform and work up from there. That sounds like work and crypto bros don't actually want to do that.

I'm also not saying I think this is better than the current system, but that it's the only thing I'd seen where if you kind of squint, it makes sense as an application of NFTs. The advantages are just platform independent ownership and transferrable game licenses. The downsides are the same as crypto in general, high power use, slow rear end transactions, and replacing something that works with something new for reasons the average person doesn't care that much about. For crypto bros the downside is that this isn't useful at all for speculation and making numbers go up.

PurpleXVI posted:

The only thing the Blockchain brings to this is that it has a distributed ledger of who owns what, so if you're terrified that Steam will suddenly delete Furry Foot Chronicles from your Steam account, then there's that for you. There's also the mythical web3 "YOU CAN TRANSFER IT TO ANOTHER SERVICE!!!!"-claim which will be meaningful just as soon as another service, out of the goodness of their heart, implements everything you "own" on the first service.

Yeah, this is basically the entire list of advantages and the single largest pitfall.

My whole point with this isn't I think it's actually better, but that it fits the supposed goals of web3 nerds. It's something that would make a bit of sense, if you ignore all the other pitfalls of crypto poo poo, which web3 idiots already do.

Basically, it's something that if I saw some web3 startup or crypto nerd trying to start this I'd could kinda respect the goal even if I thought it would fail.

But they wouldn't do that because it's not some tulip mania bullshit to make a number go up and then cash out ASAP. Decentralization isn't the goal. Platform independent ownership isn't the goal. The goal is number go up, cash out. The closest you'd see would be a steam knock off where some no name publishers mint limited numbers of licenses for broken unity games with no update support.

TL;DR: Practical was the wrong word. It's "practical" in comparison to most crypto/web3 bullshit in that there would actually be fringe benefits, but with all the same problems as everything else web3 related.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Frankly even if you 'own' a game on some blockchain that's no guarantee that you will be able to play it if the developer or publisher doesn't want you to.

Like for any other content if you don't physically own it and can hold it in your hand there is never any possible guarantee that you will continue to be able to access it indefinitely.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I'm curious what a lot of these folks' cost basis even is. Like I'm sure some of them got in before the huge upswings in price and all of this "value" they're losing was all just on paper since it was never going to be actually convertible back to cash.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My favorite thread on the Celsius subreddit:

quote:

I lost all my crypto in 2014 and lost 95% of it in 2022

True story I am officially one of the worst investors that ever lived in the last decade- my poor judgement and timing is impeccable. I’m the bad luck Brian meme of the investing world.
And then the same guy in the comments:

quote:

Bitcoin will outlive us all

quote:

Bitcoin will be going up forever with time. I will recover all my losses in the 2025 bitcoin bull run.

quote:

I’ll take my chances and knowledge I have that bitcoin will continue to compound at an annualized rate of 100% over the medium to long term

quote:

I’ve done my research on bitcoin. My past failures has nothing to do with bitcoin itself. Everything that bitcoin is against - centralization.

I’ll put bitcoin on cold storage only. We are incredibly early. This is my journey not yours. Either way i will recover

quote:

The world needs help look around you. Bitcoin will save us
Gee I wonder why this guy keeps losing money
:thunk:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
One of my true believer friends once said that a "good" use for the blockchain would be for stuff like voting (the context was political elections, but it could be voting for anything), which completely ignores the obvious privacy concerns and fallout from that. Why else is this a bad idea other than privacy, so I can throw it back in their face eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

Frankly even if you 'own' a game on some blockchain that's no guarantee that you will be able to play it if the developer or publisher doesn't want you to.

Yeah, if nobody distributes the game, who cares about a number on some blockchain. It's like you own a xbox game, but you lost the CD so all you have is the case.

Unless you put the entire game on that blockchain. No, don't ask me how, this is my new startup.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 14, 2022