Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

No but they currently have it out for him because he's loving with their money. A raging rear end in a top hat who's trying to take money from the rest of the raging assholes? Yeah, they will do something.

basically the lawsuits from the cheerleaders might bring government action to look into the NFL and the owners don't want that because they are poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hell yeah, that's the good stuff

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1547294163800055810?t=F8NfK3C7o9fRgR_BOHaHog&s=19

Some credible candidates need to start announcing soon

Yeah; this poll has some more data points to support my contention that Biden will not run for reelection:

quote:

Just 18% of Americans say President Biden should run for reelection in 2024, according to the latest Yahoo News/YouGov poll — the lowest number to date. Nearly two-thirds (64%) say he should bow out.

And for the first time, more Democrats now say Biden should pass on a second term (41%) than say he should pursue one (35%).

The survey of 1,672 U.S. adults, which was conducted from July 8 to July 11, represents perhaps the starkest evidence to date of the president’s deteriorating position with voters — including those in his own party. Since late May, the number of Americans who say Biden should run for reelection has fallen by 7 points; among Democrats, that number has fallen by 8 points.

Meanwhile, when asked “who they would rather see as the Democratic nominee for president in 2024,” only about a quarter (27%) of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents now say Biden. Fewer say Vice President Kamala Harris (19%); most say either “someone else” (20%), they’re “not sure” (30%) or that they “wouldn’t vote” (4%).

No U.S. president has declined to run for reelection since Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968, and Biden has repeatedly insisted — both publicly and privately — that he will compete for a second term.

But given his advanced age (he’ll turn 82 shortly after the next presidential election) and low approval ratings, several national outlets have published recent stories about Democrats’ emerging interest in some sort of plan B.

And it is that level of discontent within Biden’s own party that distinguishes him from his likeliest 2024 rival: former President Donald Trump.

Trump is hardly popular. Among registered voters, Biden still leads 44% to 43% in a hypothetical head-to-head matchup between the two presidents — despite Biden’s weakened standing. Amid the Jan. 6 hearings, most voters (52%) now think “Trump committed a crime by trying to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election”; even more (54%) think the U.S. Department of Justice should prosecute him. And nearly 6 in 10 Americans (59%) say that Trump shouldn’t run for president again either. Only 28% say he should.

The difference is that Republicans are far less likely than Democrats to express dissatisfaction with their party’s de facto leader.

On the question of whether either man should run again, for instance, 89% of Democrats say Trump shouldn’t — and 87% of Republicans say the same about Biden. Polarization and partisanship are remarkably consistent on both sides.

Yet a full 60% of Republicans still insist that Trump should make another go of it in 2024 — nearly twice Biden’s number among Democrats (35%). Likewise, the share of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who say they’d “prefer” Trump as the party’s next nominee (50%) is also roughly double the share of Democrats and Democratic leaners who say the same about Biden (27%).

At the same time, independents don’t want either man to run again — but far more of them say Biden should skip 2024 (71%) than Trump (58%)

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-just-18-of-americans-say-biden-should-run-for-reelection-in-2024-a-new-low-140538311.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Biden took another small step to confirm that abortion is not (yet) dead in (all of) America by reminding pharmacies that federal law obligates them to fill prescriptions for abortion medication.

quote:

Citing provisions in the Affordable Care Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the memo argues that pharmacies that receive federal funding can’t discriminate based on their views on contraception and abortion “in regard to supplying medications; making determinations regarding the suitability of a prescribed medication for a patient; or advising patients about medications and how to take them.” The guidance includes several examples of situations that could be a legal violation, including a pharmacist refusing to fill a prescription for the abortion pill mifepristone for someone experiencing the kind of early miscarriage that the pill is used to treat.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/13/biden-pharmacies-contraception-abortion-pill-00045582

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

Neoliberalism. The fundamental idea behind the ideology of neoliberalism is that the market necessarily produces the best possible outcomes, and thus the governments only role should be to facilitate the needs of the market (or to put it another and probably more accurate way, to facilitate the needs of the class of people who own the market). If the market makes the best possible decisions then the government has no business picking winners and losers as that would only make things worse.

While this ideology was explicitly espoused by Reagan with his anti-government pro-market rhetoric, it was implicitly accepted by Bill Clinton and that combined with the fall of the USSR created a world where the ideology of neoliberalism went unchallenged and thus was accepted as natural and inevitable.

Mark Fisher termed this phenomena Capitalist Realism, which he defines as "the widespread sense that not only is capitalism the only viable political and economic system, but also that it is now impossible even to imagine a coherent alternative to it."

A older term for it is “the myth of harmony”.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a congressional subpoena and he's exploiting the fact that you can't be charged with contempt of congress unless you have been properly served. Usually, your lawyer will take an electronic service document, but his lawyers are not accepting them and he is staying in international waters, so they can't actually charge him with criminal contempt because he has never been served.

Biden also isn't responsible for enforcing congressional subpoenas. If Snyder had real criminal charges that were serious enough to extradite, then he could have him arrested and extradited the second he pulls into port anywhere that will extradite. Snyder isn't actually charged with anything right now, he's dodging a subpoena just for congressional questioning under oath.

This is one of the dumbest parts of the law. He clearly has notice of the subpoena because his loving lawyer is negotiating about it. He can't possibly claim with a straight face that he wasn't given due process, to the extent that applies to congressional testimony. But because they can't give him the magic piece of paper, they can't do anything to him.

If, however, you are representing indigent tenants being evicted by their chud landlords from their apartments without something even resembling proper service, however, the judge will tell you "Well, they're here, so clearly the service was effective, counselor" ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
PPI readings were also higher than expected so that tells us potentially higher inflstion is still in the pipeline.

Sticky inflation also jumped .5%. This is also very not good. We want this number to turn around most of all.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

Biden took another small step to confirm that abortion is not (yet) dead in (all of) America by reminding pharmacies that federal law obligates them to fill prescriptions for abortion medication.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/13/biden-pharmacies-contraception-abortion-pill-00045582

I’m sure this will mean quite a bit in states with abortion bans on the books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I'm no defender of Joe Biden but if this inflation and all these rising prices are happening everywhere - in practically every country - how come all I hear is that all of this is somehow Biden's fault? If it were only happening in the US then yeah but this is pretty much global.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm no defender of Joe Biden but if this inflation and all these rising prices are happening everywhere - in practically every country - how come all I hear is that all of this is somehow Biden's fault? If it were only happening in the US then yeah but this is pretty much global.

It's pretty easy to blame the leader of one of the biggest economies in the world, though of course there are a lot of factors at work and he is but one of many.

Personally I wouldn't single him out for the inflation but I do blame him for not committing to doing more to help out the people getting hurt the most by rising prices.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Energy prices would not be as bad if not for sanctions. Higher energy also leads to higher everything else. There is an amount that can be laid at his administration's feet.

Some global inflation being caused by the strengthening dollar is their fault too. They could do things to weaken the dollar and help the pressure there, but it would cause more inflation at home.

Also allowing various China tariff bs to continue has not helped.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Because the image intentionally cultivated by the US and many many presidential administrations is that they are stewards of the global economy. While the facts don't back up the idea that the president actually has a lot of control there and the data shows that this is more about supply chain issues and price gouging you unfortunately don't get to just go "uh, the myth we developed isn't true so you can't be mad at me" if you are going to also use that myth to take credit when things are good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Because blue team bad red team good, Fox tells me so on the teevee every night. As was posted above there does exist nuanced discussions that can be had but right wing propaganda is amazingly good at crushing that and rallying people 'round their color of flag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BiggerBoat posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

Basically, what Srice said, but also because you are listening to U.S. political dialogue. The out party is always going to blame the party in power for the current situation. Blaming policies they oppose, like direct payments and tight labor markets, is a bonus. Most people assume a direct 1:1 correlation between their government and the economy (see the famous gas prices and economy levers in the oval office cartoon).

In France, Macron is one of the top 3 things they blame for inflation. Same with Boris in the U.K. I don't know about polls in other countries, but I wouldn't be surprised if they all blamed local leaders like the U.S., U.K., and France.

Edit: Beaten by seconds on the lever comic reference!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 14, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The coming recession is Powell, Yellen, and biden's fault. I don't think that can be argued.

I do think his administration has had an inadequate response to this crisis, but that has to do with the unholy algamation of Austrian and new keynesian economic theory that has run our country since the 70s.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 14, 2022

RandomUserString
Jul 1, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

If the Biden admin wants to take credit for 4th of July cook-outs being 16 cents (sixteen cents) ($0.16) cheaper last year compared to the year before, they jolly well get to take credit for rising prices this year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/whitehouse/status/1410709115333234691

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Hootington posted:

The coming recession is Powell, Yellen, and biden's fault. I don't think that can be argued.

GDP has been contracting globally for the last quarter, even in the U.S. before rate increases. Powell is making a recession more likely (in an attempt to lower inflation), but Yellen and Biden (and the leaders of every other OECD nation haven't done anything directly contractionary. Germany, China, and Russia are the only countries you could make a good argument that the non-monetary policy part of the political process caused a large amount of self-inflicted damage to GDP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

GDP has been contracting globally for the last quarter, even in the U.S. before rate increases. Powell is making a recession more likely (in an attempt to lower inflation), but Yellen and Biden (and the leaders of every other OECD nation haven't done anything directly contractionary. Germany, China, and Russia are the only countries you could make a good argument that the non-monetary policy part of the political process caused a large amount of self-inflicted damage to GDP.

Yellen and Biden both saying they agree with Powell and that they support Powell's moves to cause a recession places blame on them. The reduction in government spending Biden is bragging about also adds negative pressure to gdp.

Edit: one of the ideas kicking around the "economic intelligentsia" is allowing the student loan forbearance to end so less money is available to the underclasses to spend so inflation will go down.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 14, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I'm kind of idiot about these things and honestly wonder what specific steps Biden could take or might have taken to help this; both domestically and globally. I don't accept that the direct covid payments and expanded UEI are to blame in any significant way.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm kind of idiot about these things and honestly wonder what specific steps Biden could take or might have taken to help this; both domestically and globally. I don't accept that the direct covid payments and expanded UEI are to blame in any significant way.

at least with gas prices start investigating why prices remain high when the crude oil price dropped 20%. Supply chain logistics on the other hand, are harder to solve.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

at least with gas prices start investigating why prices remain high when the crude oil price dropped 20%. Supply chain logistics on the other hand, are harder to solve.

You do not want to look at crude prices, but CBOB and RBOB Gasoline.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 14, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RandomUserString posted:

If the Biden admin wants to take credit for 4th of July cook-outs being 16 cents (sixteen cents) ($0.16) cheaper last year compared to the year before, they jolly well get to take credit for rising prices this year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/whitehouse/status/1410709115333234691

It's marketing. They gotta take credit for what they can or the opposition capitalizes on it. :shrug:

People are going to blame them for the economy either way, so they might as well take credit for the "good."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The GOP is plowing ahead with its Hispanic-voter outreach:

quote:

The Republican National Committee (RNC) on Thursday announced it was launching an initiative that aims to help immigrants prepare for the naturalization test.

The effort, called the Republican Civics Initiative (RCI), will offer a 10-hour course, divided into four sessions, “to help future voters” pass the civics portion of the test, according to an RNC press release.

The first course starts Thursday in Doral, Fla., at the RNC Hispanic Community Center. Additional courses will be held in battleground states across the country, including Texas, Georgia, Nevada, California and Pennsylvania.

“The RNC is growing our Party through purposeful education and engagement. Our commitment to provide opportunities for all to live out the American dream is broadening our base because our ideas transcend all backgrounds,” RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said.

“Unlike Democrats, Republicans do not take minority communities for granted and we will continue to work to earn each vote ahead of November.”

Republicans have been aiming to increase support from minority communities, particularly Hispanic voters in competitive House districts in the upcoming midterm cycle, taking a number of steps they hope will attract the crucial voting bloc.

Democrats have long counted Hispanic voters as a core constituency, but the party has been slow to put resources into keeping them in its corner. And Democrats are seeing danger signs that make them fear the continuation of a rightward shift they blame for some 2020 losses.

The RNC said as of January 2021 there were more than 9.2 million lawful permanent residents who are eligible to become citizens and vote but have not been naturalized, almost 2.5 million of whom are from Mexico.

Immigrants who attend the course will learn basic civics questions that would appear on the naturalization test and have a celebration after completing the course.

The people leading the sessions will be trained by the RNC Strategic Initiatives staff, who are certified instructors with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and given adapted materials from USCIS.

The RNC’s statement says most lawful permanent residents are in areas where the RNC already has staff and community centers to assist them.

Along with USCIS, the RNC plans to work with other nonprofits such as Civics Fundamentals.

The initiative from the RNC to help immigrants past the naturalization test comes as the USCIS also announced a new citizenship ambassador initiative this week.

USCIS will partner with local leaders who will share their own experiences to encourage immigrants to become naturalized citizens.

The reporter, Lexi Lonas, has written for conservative outlets like the Washington Examiner & National Review, but this program is a legit outreach effort started by the GOP.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

It's marketing. They gotta take credit for what they can or the opposition capitalizes on it. :shrug:

People are going to blame them for the economy either way, so they might as well take credit for the "good."

It's such a small thing to the point where celebrating it just reeks of desperation.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yellen and Biden both saying they agree with Powell and that they support Powell's moves to cause a recession places blame on them. The reduction in government spending Biden is bragging about also adds negative pressure to gdp.

Edit: one of the ideas kicking around the "economic intelligentsia" is allowing the student loan forbearance to end so less money is available to the underclasses to spend so inflation will go down.

A forced recession is probably the worst possible answer to inflation, but it's the only one that the rich will accept so the poors will just have to deal with it(as usual).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yinlock posted:

It's such a small thing to the point where celebrating it just reeks of desperation.
Oh no doubt it is. It's funny.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/1547603700859801606

Feinstein is working with Marco Rubio to start the PR for their joint bill to form a space force national guard. Their argument in the article they link in the tweet thread is that it will help the space force to have a national guard instead of the current setup where there are space units in the air force national guard. The Office of Management and Budget previously estimated that it would cost 500 million annually to operate, the CBO estimated 100 million annually and 20 million in construction, Feinstein and Rubio are claiming it will cost less because those cost analysis are making assumptions about about what is needed and not all of that is in the bill.

Space Force has been an incredible example of the ratchet effect.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Imagine showing up for your national guard on-duty week and being told Dianne Feinstein was shooting you into space lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yinlock posted:

A forced recession is probably the worst possible answer to inflation, but it's the only one that the rich will accept so the poors will just have to deal with it(as usual).

It might be the only option our evil system taught them to use, but they also want to destroy all wealth holdings for anyone below the top 10%.

The stimulus and expanded unemployment really pissed off the ruling elite. They do not view that money and wealth as earned by the undeserving poor. That is their rightful money and wealth so they are clawing it back through prices increases. Inflation wasn't a problem until wages started going up in october/November 2021.

Edit: the forced recession isn't about goods and services inflstion, but wage inflation and the need to suppress workers. The fed thinks the labor/capital relationship is out of balance and labor has too much power.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2022

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willa Rogers posted:

The reporter, Lexi Lonas, has written for conservative outlets like the Washington Examiner & National Review, but this program is a legit outreach effort started by the GOP.

LOL they'll dump it as soon as the chuds catch wind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm not so sure! A lot of conservatives are adamant that immigration is okay if people do it The Right Way (the Right Way being only extended to people they like, in general) it's just all those MS-13 caravans that are the problem; that's a sufficient fig leaf for them to feel their racism is excused and try to fish a new pool of voters.

Just look at all those sufficiently pale fuckers who "lost their family farm in Cuba" and had no choice but to flee to Cuba. They fit right in! Your large adult son could even become a senator for Texas, with that kind of plucky, upstart background.

EDIT: Hmm, just looked it up, Ted Cruz's father actually left Cuba after being beaten for opposing the Batista regime, pre-Revolution. I would not have guessed that.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 14, 2022

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Hmm, just looked it up, Ted Cruz's father actually left Cuba after being beaten for opposing the Batista regime, pre-Revolution. I would not have guessed that.

His father says now that he feels that Che Guevara lied to him and everybody else about what was going on. He's a fire and brimstone kind of preacher as well.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Earlier I posted the sticky cpi, but that was the y/y. M/m is way worse.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PT6A posted:

I'm not so sure! A lot of conservatives are adamant that immigration is okay if people do it The Right Way (the Right Way being only extended to people they like, in general) it's just all those MS-13 caravans that are the problem; that's a sufficient fig leaf for them to feel their racism is excused and try to fish a new pool of voters.

Just look at all those sufficiently pale fuckers who "lost their family farm in Cuba" and had no choice but to flee to Cuba. They fit right in! Your large adult son could even become a senator for Texas, with that kind of plucky, upstart background.

Like a lot of things it comes down to which faction of conservatives has control over the republican party. More traditional conservatives are at best kind of pragmatically pro-immigration (and indeed a fair amount of them are immigrants... the US has a lot of conservative immigrants) with the 'as long as people do it the right way' caveat generally, but the trump white nationalist wing really is not. Just definitionally there isn't really any room for immigration in a white nationalist vision of the future because they're 1) obsessed with demographics and futures for white children being secured and so on and 2) don't want minorities around other than as a useful underclass. And illegal immigrants are better for the latter because they have less ability to resist corporate exploitation and they're better for fear mongering.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
This is a nicely done tweet

https://twitter.com/jojofromjerz/status/1547281431591878659

“Hey look everyone - Brandon is gonna secure the southern border and he got Mexico to pay for it.”

President Biden has negotiated with Mexico to pay $1.5b toward U.S. southern border security and infrastructure.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

That worked out so well for them after 2012.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

To be fair, this isn't that much of an own on Trump supporters. Mexico is basically "paying" $1.5 billion to help build capacity for processing to lessen the burden on the existing border processing and the U.S. is "giving" Mexico a little less than a billion in aid, another several hundred million to help with their southern border, and some more hundred million in aid to central America to lessen the need for mass migration.

So, Mexico is "paying" the U.S. $1.5 billion and - in an completely unrelated event - the U.S. is "gifting" Mexico with about $1 billion + other non-direct monetary benefits via visa and customs reforms favorable to Mexico, and several hundred million to other Central American countries.

This is basically giving Mexico and Central America $1.3 billion in foreign aid + some non-monetary benefits without saying "Biden gave $1.3 billion to Mexico as they overrun our border!" Mexico wants this deal and is basically being paid back for what they are "spending" on it.

It is funny and embarrassing that Trump couldn't even go through with a similar plan to just have the fig leaf to say that Mexico was paying for the wall.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

It might be the only option our evil system taught them to use, but they also want to destroy all wealth holdings for anyone below the top 10%.

The stimulus and expanded unemployment really pissed off the ruling elite. They do not view that money and wealth as earned by the undeserving poor. That is their rightful money and wealth so they are clawing it back through prices increases. Inflation wasn't a problem until wages started going up in october/November 2021.

Edit: the forced recession isn't about goods and services inflstion, but wage inflation and the need to suppress workers. The fed thinks the labor/capital relationship is out of balance and labor has too much power.

I thought the $20001600 cheques is where the whining started about all the WASTEFUL SPENDING(ignoring the trillion+ just handed out to corporations).

But yes you're absolutely correct that it's about suppressing workers. Workers are(slowly) rediscovering their actual power in the labor/capital relationship and the ruling class aren't a fan of that at all.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That worked out so well for them after 2012.

Yeah and this one might fail too, and they know it, but eventually the white racist voter is a well that's going to run dry for the GOP so strategically, this is worth continually trying because they're attempting to get a jump on the next big demographic. And eventually it probably will work because Hispanics, like black folks, are often pretty socially conservative, the difference is black people will never forget what Republicans are, it doesn't matter what party they switch to or what they call themselves, whereas plenty of Latino's are eager to be the black police showing out for the white cop.

The New Yorker recently did probably the most comprehensive deep dive on DeSantis. Some truly amazing stuff, including how he started out as relatively reasonable for a Republican with even some good policy but abandoned that when he realized that voters are basically the Colosseum crowd from Spartacus. Anyway one of the great highlights, completely unrelated to DeSantis, is how barefaced and calculating, and with no loyalty to their voters, the GOP is...

The New Yorker posted:

In office, DeSantis took steps that suggested he intended to govern closer to the center. He buoyed environmentalists by forcing out the nine-member board of the South Florida Water Management District, political appointees who were considered hostile to environmental interests. He named a commission to tackle algae blooms, which befouled rivers and lakes in the southern part of the state. And he appointed several Black jurists. At his inauguration, DeSantis asked the Reverend R. B. Holmes, the pastor of a predominantly Black church in Tallahassee, to lead the prayer. “I was encouraged,” Holmes told me.

For decades, the Democratic Party had commanded a majority of Florida’s registered voters. But the state was changing, as Trump’s election helped energize a shift in political affinities. The Republican Party’s rank and file became increasingly radical, and G.O.P. leaders appeared only too happy to follow them. “There was always an element of the Republican Party that was batshit crazy,” Mac Stipanovich, the chief of staff to Governor Bob Martinez, a moderate Republican, told me. “They had lots of different names—they were John Birchers, they were ‘movement conservatives,’ they were the religious right. And we did what every other Republican candidate did: we exploited them. We got them to the polls. We talked about abortion. We promised—and we did nothing. They could grumble, but their choices were limited.

“So what happened?” Stipanovich continued. “Trump opened Pandora’s box and let them out. And all the nasty stuff that was in the underbelly of American politics got a voice. What was thirty-five per cent of the Republican Party is now eighty-five per cent. And it’s too late to turn back.”
Absolutely fantastic read.

Moderate Republicans built a populist Frankenstein and it triggered the fascist death spiral the GOP is now in, and there's a fair chance they drag the country down with them.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 14, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Texas, in response to Biden's guidance from yesterday: "States have the right to force their citizens to die from preventable causes if enough leaders think the cure is gross"

quote:

The Texas attorney general filed a lawsuit Thursday challenging new abortion guidance the Biden administration released this week — arguing that it violates the rights of doctors not to participate in terminating a pregnancy and steps on the state’s right to regulate the procedure within its borders.

The suit against the Biden administration’s top health officials only targets one of the two main actions the federal government has taken in response to the fall of Roe v. Wade — a memo to hospitals and doctors across the country on Monday arguing that federal law requires them to provide abortions in emergency circumstances regardless of whatever bans their state imposes.

They're likely to prevail here as the path of appeals leads through a bunch of Trump appointees on the way to SCOTUS.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/14/texas-biden-abortion-trump-00045846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

haveblue posted:

Texas, in response to Biden's guidance from yesterday: "States have the right to force their citizens to die from preventable causes if enough leaders think the cure is gross"

They're likely to prevail here as the path of appeals leads through a bunch of Trump appointees on the way to SCOTUS.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/14/texas-biden-abortion-trump-00045846

The only way the SCOTUS blows a hole in this is if they argue that the structure of "do this or we withold funding" that holds together the entire federal system is unconstitutional.