Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Obi-Wan is probably better suited to the Benny Hill theme

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedLetterMedia/comments/v01koo/leia_benny_hill_chase_obiwan_kenobi/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

You know, the only part I really take issue with here is the start. From how she bolts between the two of them to how she outpaces them shortly. (and she outpaces them in open field again later) There's no way 3 adults who are specifically out to capture a kid can have that happen.
Her ducking a log and her vaulting between 2 narrow trees where they can't follow I can believe.

I also kinda unironically love the Falleen minister of silly walks.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Piell posted:

I have zero faith that D+ can pull off morally grey, unfortunately, my bet is that the stuff at the start of Rogue One will be darker than anything he does in the show

They couldn't even make Boba Fett morally grey.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

You know, the only part I really take issue with here is the start. From how she bolts between the two of them to how she outpaces them shortly. (and she outpaces them in open field again later) There's no way 3 adults who are specifically out to capture a kid can have that happen.
Her ducking a log and her vaulting between 2 narrow trees where they can't follow I can believe.

I also kinda unironically love the Falleen minister of silly walks.

They pretty clearly did think about the problem of making a convincing chase with a small child. Storyboarded it out and such. It's just the execution was so trash. I still think the Volume is at fault here.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Potentially good doc alert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_XwzOK_98

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Hakkesshu posted:

Boba Fett was a mess but an interesting one. They tried some stuff. There were crazy droids, hutt parades, lizard sniffing, cyber teens, Black Krrsantan, pig bros, lovely mayor Ithorian, Cad Bane, etc. You could at least point to it and go "hey that's a cool Star Wars thing" even if none of it came together in the end.

Obi-Wan both didn't come together and also had significantly less Cool Star Wars poo poo, and also looked like crap, and also sounded like crap. What we are left with is, eh some of the Vader fights were pretty cool?

I assume I'll be echoing much of what was said in this thread months ago, but having finished the show yesterday, I gotta say--quirky star wars stuff aside--the first 4 episodes of Boba Fett were profoundly unengaging. The character is just a boring guy and a hard PG-rated organized crime Tatooine power struggle saga does not make for compelling viewing. I guess Boba learned morality by hanging with the tuskens but since they all wear the same mask and just say urk urk urk it's hard to understand how or why.

However, the Mando-centered episode was a total joy. Can't get enough of the weirdo culty "this is the way" mantras with the pathetically small extremist sect and the Naboo Starfighter rehab and test drive scenes were rad. Loved the Luke/Grogu stuff in episode 6, too, although I assume those scenes were controversial. Deepfake Luke looked better than any I've seen, tho. Recently rewatched Rogue One (best of these disney movies by far) and Tarkin looks like a Ratatouille character. Plus, just curious to see what these OT characters got up to before everything went to poo poo. Loved the callbacks to the Dagobah training scenes. Fan service but I ate that poo poo up. Finale was deese.

Obi-Wan, on the other hand, was powerfully weak. No stakes. Underwritten dialogue. Underdeveloped characters (altho baby Leia was good). A lot of people standing around crappy sets not doing much. "Increase firepower!", etc. Final Kenobi/Vader battle was pretty badass, but yeah, Obi-Wan just walks away! wtf. At least have some denouement wherein a bunch of storm troopers or tie fighters swoop in and scare Obi-Wan into hiding. A second season could have potential but it would best set up as Kung-Fu style roaming the galaxy adventure without any PT/OT baggage. Preferably no desert planets. I'm cautiously optimistic for Andor, though, with Tony Gilroy (Bourne!/Michael Clayton!/Rogue One!) at the helm.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Robot Style posted:

The other reason Natalie Holt gave for not including the iconic themes was that they didn't exist yet:

And a rule that Rogue One already broke by using music that didn't show up until episode V.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't the prequels also use a lot of the musical suite as a leitmotif to create similar musical themes that'd call the original trilogies music to mind, while being a little different? I wouldn't think that's really any different.

Hell, the Wikipedia article on "The Imperial March" says the song is outright used a few times in the prequels, including in The Phantom Menace.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hell, Solo made the Imperial March diegetic by actually having it play in a recruitment ad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hell, Solo made the Imperial March diegetic by actually having it play in a recruitment ad.

Vader realized the most important lesson of all, that you have to get your hands on the license and monetize that poo poo to work for you. Truly, he learned from the master of the Force, Darth Lucas. When he's in his isolation chamber he's not focusing his hatred to increase his power or anything, he's making marketing calls and ensuring that he's making that green :10bux:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

tsob posted:

Didn't the prequels also use a lot of the musical suite as a leitmotif to create similar musical themes that'd call the original trilogies music to mind, while being a little different? I wouldn't think that's really any different.

Hell, the Wikipedia article on "The Imperial March" says the song is outright used a few times in the prequels, including in The Phantom Menace.

The Imperial March is embedded in Anakin's theme, just like the Emperor's theme is embedded in the final celebration theme (it sounds very different because it's in a major key).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bogus Adventure posted:

just like the Emperor's theme is embedded in the final celebration theme (it sounds very different because it's in a major key).

:aaaaa:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

tsob posted:

Yeah, and sometimes it was more direct and overt, like the use of the force theme

If you want a thorough run-down this spreadsheet details all the leitmotifs, where they were first used, what other films used them, and more.

EDIT: eg this bit from Phantom Menace has references to both Yoda's Theme and Imperial March/Vader's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefoJcg6JzQ&t=59s

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 8, 2022

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQBu-0N0ag

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 8, 2022

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, and sometimes it was more direct and overt, like the use of the force theme

If you want a thorough run-down this spreadsheet details all the leitmotifs, where they were first used, what other films used them, and more.

EDIT: eg this bit from Phantom Menace has references both Yoda's Theme and Imperial March/Vader's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pefoJcg6JzQ&t=59s

Yeah, it's pretty great how much opera they put in the space opera that is Star Wars.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Welp. That pretty much blew my my mind for the day. Time to go back to bed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It actually kind of bugs me that they so rarely reuse any of the prequel music. I don't really like those movies but the soundtracks are superb, and they always go for the same two or three OT themes. I mean yeah occasionally you'll hear Duel of the Fates, but where the gently caress is my Droid Invasion

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hakkesshu posted:

It actually kind of bugs me that they so rarely reuse any of the prequel music. I don't really like those movies but the soundtracks are superb, and they always go for the same two or three OT themes. I mean yeah occasionally you'll hear Duel of the Fates, but where the gently caress is my Droid Invasion

It's sitting at home waiting for the phone call to come in, because droids haven't become relevant as an enemy numerous enough to be seen as invasive again.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 8, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Phantom Menace is one of John Williams best works. The whole score is superb, and as posted in the thread, uses callbacks very creatively. Having a kids choir up tempo-ing the low choir Emperor theme at the end is just amazing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Butterfly Valley posted:

Rebels also did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TouCl6yp13A

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's one odd musical callback when Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting, where right after they do the spinny moves at each other Anakin dashes over a table and hits a console causing the heat shields to go down, and the music that's playing is the Force theme or whatever it's called, the same music that plays when Luke stares at the twin suns and burns Vader's body etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onRnL6MBunU&t=104s

Always wondered why they put that bit of music there specifically

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well, they're using the Force on each other there, so...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

tsob posted:

Right out there at the end of AoTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmvJTHlMrc&t=136s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Part 1 of a great 2 part documentary aired last night on Vice. Lot of good interviews with producers and editors and some of the actors and behind the scenes stuff i’ve never seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOaRJo-lqqg

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Okay, I think this one is way more neat than the rest because you really wouldn't get it unless you were tweaking the song around like this, and it completely fits with the bizarre incongruent feel of the Phantom Menace.

The movie treats the heroes defeating the droid army as if the good guys are beating the bad guys. There's nothing in the movie itself that suggests otherwise. It's almost as if everyone making the movie has forgotten that both sides of this conflict are manufactured, and the heroes have won nothing, learned nothing, and are instead just acting as unwitting pawns in a game Palpatine is playing against himself.

The unsettling implications are completely hidden under a cheerful adventure story, albeit one with rather dry stakes. You have to sit back and put it in the context of the rest of the movies to realize how pointless and sinister everything has been.

And that's perfectly captured by the celebration music being the emperor's theme. There's nothing sinister about the celebration music itself. In the context of the Phantom Menace, it's just celebration music because the heroes have won. Legitimately cheerful and festive. You have to pay really close attention to uncover anything else about it. It's not part of the experience of the movie itself, it's part of the experience of thinking about the movie later.

You could argue it's buried too deeply, and that may be. George Lucas is kind of insane. But I think it ends up being a pretty fitting commentary on the oblivious nature of America in the 90s. Not that George Lucas could have predicted what happened next, but I can totally see him being disturbed by how little people seemed to care in general and putting that into his Star Wars movie in the most obscure way possible.

Maybe I'm taking it too far, but there's definitely a weird disconnect between the tone of the movie and the implications when you think about it that this musical theme really drives home, and I think that's neat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonz posted:

Part 1 of a great 2 part documentary aired last night on Vice. Lot of good interviews with producers and editors and some of the actors and behind the scenes stuff i’ve never seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOaRJo-lqqg

"Icons Unearthed"

Oh, so it's mostly about Peter Cushing in Rogue One?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What's this noise now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFqxbLTrvO0

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Eiba posted:

Okay, I think this one is way more neat than the rest because you really wouldn't get it unless you were tweaking the song around like this, and it completely fits with the bizarre incongruent feel of the Phantom Menace.

The movie treats the heroes defeating the droid army as if the good guys are beating the bad guys. There's nothing in the movie itself that suggests otherwise. It's almost as if everyone making the movie has forgotten that both sides of this conflict are manufactured, and the heroes have won nothing, learned nothing, and are instead just acting as unwitting pawns in a game Palpatine is playing against himself.

The unsettling implications are completely hidden under a cheerful adventure story, albeit one with rather dry stakes. You have to sit back and put it in the context of the rest of the movies to realize how pointless and sinister everything has been.

And that's perfectly captured by the celebration music being the emperor's theme. There's nothing sinister about the celebration music itself. In the context of the Phantom Menace, it's just celebration music because the heroes have won. Legitimately cheerful and festive. You have to pay really close attention to uncover anything else about it. It's not part of the experience of the movie itself, it's part of the experience of thinking about the movie later.

You could argue it's buried too deeply, and that may be. George Lucas is kind of insane. But I think it ends up being a pretty fitting commentary on the oblivious nature of America in the 90s. Not that George Lucas could have predicted what happened next, but I can totally see him being disturbed by how little people seemed to care in general and putting that into his Star Wars movie in the most obscure way possible.

Maybe I'm taking it too far, but there's definitely a weird disconnect between the tone of the movie and the implications when you think about it that this musical theme really drives home, and I think that's neat.

A kid pointed it out to me in 5th grade. He said the emperor song was like the emperor song but different

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
The Prequels had a lot of good ideas. They are also exhibit A for the contentious "Star Wars was saved in the edit" theory. Lucas has lot of good ideas and some really loving terrible ones. He struggles with communicating his good ideas clearly while his bad ideas are as obvious as a blood stained prom dress and just as tacky.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That DICK! posted:

A kid pointed it out to me in 5th grade. He said the emperor song was like the emperor song but different

you eat the emperor song in fifth grade for breakfast?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Smythe posted:

you eat the emperor song in fifth grade for breakfast?

No!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HEY HEEEEEEEEEEEY

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

*heavy breathing*

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqycJpRdVaY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate babu frick

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CelticPredator posted:

I hate babu frick

Same.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Basically the prequels are good and also my friends.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Babu Frik is the best thing to come out of the Disney Star Wars movies.

His name is Babu Frik which is top 5 Star War name.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CelticPredator posted:

I hate babu frick
You hate White Power Bill Darth Insanius.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Push El Burrito posted:

Babu Frik is the best thing to come out of the Disney Star Wars movies.

His name is Babu Frik which is top 5 Star War name.

Now that you say this, it makes me think of how two of the biggest franchises in the world regularly use silly names. The other being Gundam, which has characters with names like M'Quve, Quattro Bajeena, Cancer Kafka, Hilling Care etc. There was even a proposed character in the original draft of one show that didn't make it into the final product called Elbow Smash. Which, boy I want to live in the world where Elbow Smash was a character. The creator of the franchise, Yoshiyuki Tomino, noted in an interview that he originally started using silly names to see if sponsors and producers were paying attention and to see how much he could get away with, but that once he realized that they weren't paying attention he just started using buck wild names. Which continued after he stopped directing shows (for the most part) in the early 90s. I wonder if the naming for Star Wars has similar origins?

Lucas at least seemed to come up with names by twisting related concepts just a little, hence Darth Icky or what have you, but maybe some of the other people involved over the years have had other reasons.