Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m a new guitarist and have been looking at picking up a second guitar. I was curious what the consensus on coil split humbuckers are. I’ve seen reviews of people saying they are great, and an equal amount saying they are garbage or a gimmick. I ask because I’m thinking about buying an Ibanez Jet King because I like look of it, and it has coil splits in the first two models, but not in the last two, so beyond just normal availability and color, I’m wondering if going after the older models is a smarter way to get more bang for the buck if they are relatively around the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Shankel Magnus posted:

Thanks for these ideas too. I was playing around with Dammit and I think that song is aptly named. None of the parts of the main riff are that difficult but my brain just keeps wanting to switch things up and play the wrong part at the wrong time. I'm playing it so slowly it's starting to sound like a country song and my brain keeps switching things around. I'll get it eventually though. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZgk7IRNUyA

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
In my experience coil split is of limited usefulness because 1 coil of most humbuckers by themselves are way too thin-sounding. Just too weak.

I have found that, especially with the mid-gain vintage output pickups I seem to prefer, switching between series wiring (full gain humbucking) and parallel (1/4 gain humbucking) is a better solution for getting close to a single-coil sound. It's a mod pretty much all of my bridge humbuckers have,and more recently I started modding my neck humbuckers to have this as well.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I find wiring up a coil splittable pickup to a pot instead of a switch is much more useful.
You can get the full humbucker sound, the full single coil split, or any where in between.

Like this:
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/guitar-wiring-explored-the-spin-a-split-mod

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BizarroAzrael posted:

Aw man what have I done? I've done some more tests and with the new pickups my Gretsch seems to have both pickups active regardless of switch position, how do you even do that? Seems like something you'd have to do on purpose, that accidentally you'd more likely disable one.

Sounds like an issue with how they have been soldered in to the switch. Did you check that a) the replacements went to exactly the same lugs as the original circuit, and b) everything was functional before mounting them back into the guitar?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is really pretty. Andy Timmons on TPS playing through a couple Mesa Lone Stars and demoing his pedals. I've set the video to start when Andy begins playing a piece, and it's fun because the TPS guys get emotional. The video is really sweet because there is clearly a sincere musical connection and friendship going on here. What you won't be able to tell from the video right away is they're running the amps into that 2x12 cab loaded with EVs, and it's cranked pretty loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdG-WjTtgk&t=795s
John Cordy saw this clip and decided to learn the little piece and to make a video to teach how to play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ChtqEiGCw

It's not difficult at all, and it's not particularly bad rear end. It's just very sweet and simple and I thought it deserved to be shared.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i was doing a string change yesterday and there’s no divot on the 3rd fret B string, but there are high up on the G string.

i’m physically good at this instrument and it’s fun to play but god drat— what is with my lovely luck when it comes to setups??? it impedes actually playing/writing so much.

ugh

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is really pretty. Andy Timmons on TPS playing through a couple Mesa Lone Stars and demoing his pedals. I've set the video to start when Andy begins playing a piece, and it's fun because the TPS guys get emotional. The video is really sweet because there is clearly a sincere musical connection and friendship going on here. What you won't be able to tell from the video right away is they're running the amps into that 2x12 cab loaded with EVs, and it's cranked pretty loud.
John Cordy saw this clip and decided to learn the little piece and to make a video to teach how to play it.

It's not difficult at all, and it's not particularly bad rear end. It's just very sweet and simple and I thought it deserved to be shared.

Andy Timmons is so outstanding I can't fathom just how good he actually is. If that makes any sense at all.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

i was doing a string change yesterday and there’s no divot on the 3rd fret B string, but there are high up on the G string.

i’m physically good at this instrument and it’s fun to play but god drat— what is with my lovely luck when it comes to setups??? it impedes actually playing/writing so much.

ugh

Learning how to do simple fret stuff is a skill that will likely serve you well. Sandpaper, leveling "thing" (block, beam, whatever), and a crowning file (you can get idiot proof ones like StewMacs z-file to dirt cheap triangle files) and you can fix that stuff yourself in a few minutes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

landgrabber posted:

ugh

Have you checked for high frets? Like really checked not just eyeballed it.

You don't need the $40 or whatever stewmac fret rocker but having something like it helps diagnose things and tells you where corrective action is needed.

You can make one out of an old credit card
https://diyguitarbuilder.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/fret-levelling-you-take-the-high-cost-road-and-ill-take-the-low-cost-road/

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also: frine didn’t do anything. i thought the frets were supposed to instantly get shiny again. they still look like they did.

the thing i’m more upset about is that this is only seven months in to having this guitar. already having to do fret/neck stuff is such a bummer.

i just want to play the loving instrument jesus

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 14, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
is it an issue that you can just deal with or is it an actual issue that needs to be repaired?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

is it an issue that you can just deal with or is it an actual issue that needs to be repaired?

it started with a buzzy B string on only the third fret, which truss rod adjustments wouldn’t fix (and i never did more than a quarter turn at a time).

i just loving can’t deal with when i’m playing and i’m dialed in, and i’m writing something! and it’s wonderful and i like it, and my brain has shut up and it’s just giving me the note i need to play next-

and then i hit the worst sounding note i’ve ever heard in my life because it’s sitar-ing.

i was writing a cool song where it was in G and i was playing the open C shape with the high root on the third fret. a cool D shape but with a 2 and a 4 (cause i’d leave the top strings open and play them as part of the arpeggio).

then one day i went to do that and i just hit that note and it makes me dramatically sad.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sounds like a job for a luthier. Truss rod adjustments may need to be made at the same time as other action adjustments even assuming it's not issues with the frets themselves. Guitars being made out of wood can be subject to significant influence from seasonal temperature and humidity changes, and some investment in keeping them in good shape if you are not skilled at doing all the necessary things is to be expected.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

landgrabber posted:

it started with a buzzy B string on only the third fret, which truss rod adjustments wouldn’t fix (and i never did more than a quarter turn at a time).

i just loving can’t deal with when i’m playing and i’m dialed in, and i’m writing something! and it’s wonderful and i like it, and my brain has shut up and it’s just giving me the note i need to play next-

and then i hit the worst sounding note i’ve ever heard in my life because it’s sitar-ing.

i was writing a cool song where it was in G and i was playing the open C shape with the high root on the third fret. a cool D shape but with a 2 and a 4 (cause i’d leave the top strings open and play them as part of the arpeggio).

then one day i went to do that and i just hit that note and it makes me dramatically sad.

That sucks. Something to keep in mind for the next guitar / if you ever re-fret: stainless steel frets seem like something that would benefit you. They are hard as all get out and so you won't divot / flat spot them.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's just sad and frustrating. i don't have the money to pour into either getting this fixed, or tools to fix it, a luthier, or a new neck.

i can tell you though that if i could go back in time i would not buy this guitar and do what i did.

i wanna go tell past Rose that she'll actually really appreciate short scale, and to get a duosonic HS and get the pickup changed, or a mustang 90

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm sorry, it's GAS.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm sorry, it's GAS.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm sorry, it's GAS.

nah, either of those would be cheaper than what i ended up paying for a less comfortable guitar that is currently eating poo poo after ~8 months.

and i bounce back and forth between standard and Eb so even with a decked trem something hardtail would still be better for that.

i don't even have too much GAS anymore-- i can only cognitively manage one guitar at a time. GAS was a fun way to pass the time when i didn't know how to write anything. then i went to school and i learned a lot about actually writing stuff -- and that's all i want to do. but i learned that just in time to get hosed by all this stuff. it's so frustrating.

also the pots on this guitar are still bad, and not separate from each other and manipulate the pickups in really weird ways and i still need to get that fixed.

and the push pot (which was a stupid idea anyway) still needs to be "up" to get into normal humbucking mode. so if i accidentally get too into it, the act of playing music, i'll hit the pot, it'll trigger "series" mode, and the tone dies.

the volume gets exponentially quieter from 10-8, not that much quieter from 8-2, and 1 doesn't silence it completely.

it's so stupid. chronologically, it's the last stupid, Male Brained thing i did

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
yeah this doesn't seem like much of a guitar issue and more of a you issue

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fixing that push pull is incredibly easy if one were to bust out a soldering iron, but I know that's a line you're not crossing now.

This isn't a criticism and I don't know how bad it actually is, but from what I've gathered from this thread the buzzing is probably more a "you" problem than a "this guitar" problem. I get the idea you're ADD enough that something being imperfect derails your thought process and no matter how minor of an issue it really is you can't get past it.

edit lol gently caress beaten

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

Andy Timmons is so outstanding I can't fathom just how good he actually is. If that makes any sense at all.
Lumpy I am guessing you know how Dunning-Kruger works. If you're very ignorant of a subject you might overestimate how well you get it, leading you to wildly miscalculate hard easy or hard any particular thing might be. Once you get enough of an understanding of a thing, though, you will over-react in the opposite direction which leads to the response like yours, which as I see it is an under-estimation of your understanding. Then "I can't fathom this" actually follows logically from your understanding, which is probably far better than you give yourself credit for. That's a good quality in people.

I play one on the internet but I am not actually a doctor.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
it’s always something, isn’t it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

every one of those little things is something that’s making me That Person Who Doesn’t Have Their poo poo Together.

my mom is a crazy person and organizes everything in her life so that it’s as precarious to do as possible.

i am on a mission to not be that person, because eventually, the right papercut at the right time means something doesn’t happen and you look like a fool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
taps sign pointing to no e/n

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just had a salad for lunch.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had a big rear end hoagie, but it was only $6 cause hoagiefest is on.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i gotta get a hoagie soon. I was debating spending a bunch of money to get japanese curry and some beers today before going to play magic with my friends, or getting pho for cheap instead

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know how you feel, lg. My RG471AH seemed like the best cheap guitar I ever bought, until one day I realized I could hear the truss rod rattle in its channel and put the guitar down in anger. Since then I've recorded with it and love it despite the flaw. My JEM70SFG came to me with ALL of the frets standing a tiny bit off the fretboard treble-side. When the high E got stuck under the 24th fret it took me days to realize it was all of the frets and not just the 24th. This was not a cheap guitar, either. It was an Indo JEM that cost me $1500. By the time I figured this out I'd had the guitar just over a year and I was very lucky Ibanez was willing to fix it under warranty. Just trying to say there is always something. Hopefully it is not a show-stopper like a sitar-buzz in one spot on the neck!

But it's guitar and you just have to roll with it. You will drive yourself nuts if let yourself dwell on it. Raise the bridge just a tiny bit at a time on the treble side until the G-string stops buzzing. If that's too high, start lowering it again until the buzz becomes unbearable. At that point reassess if you can handle the imperfection or not. If the answer is certainly not, then you will know you need to spend some money on a new neck or, far preferable, a fret-level or partial fret-level. That is the very best advice I can give, apart from looking on the bright side. The bright side is look at where you are now, lg. I remember when you were asking about song-writing and you lacked the theory to ask the questions correctly or get the answers. You've come incredibly far since then.

Be proud of yourself and know that hating the instrument, and your own playing, is natural. :)

Page one of this thread I took some of the meanest loving knocks I've ever seen here and it was because I was teasing you. You are loved, kid. Don't doubt it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 14, 2022

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

To help get this thread back on track (guitars, Steve Vai, and flatulence), did you guys know there is a Devin Townsend podcast where he goes over his experiences with the music business, musicians, writing, and recording music? It's good to listen to while you're buzzing around doing household chores or perhaps :420:.

Here's a few minutes from Ep. 2, talking about the recording of City.

quote:

“ […] the best way to summarize that recording experience was the very last day we were all sitting around in the same room that I had sat around with Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio and T.M. Stevens. Now it was Jed, Gene, Byron, and me and I remember… farting. I just blew a fart and it was very much, in hindsight, me. Kind of in the middle somewhere. Then Jed immediately followed with a fart, and it sounds like Jed. It sounds like a coffee can full of hornets. You know, like somebody’s zipping up a sleeping bag with utter ferocity. Then Byron immediately after farted and it was bigger than mine you know it was a little bit more, little bit more low-end. And then I remember the last one to let it go was Gene and the best way to describe that fart, his drum tech at the time his name was Steve Goode, described it perfectly, it’s like five people farting and two people clapping So at that point I said, “Well, there’s the identity of this.” So from there I took it back to Vancouver and I finished the record myself in my apartment.”

Straight to Cleveland with that, I say.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway real question, cause i’m about to go home and do the rest of a setup:

seems like i didn’t completely mask the fretboard from the frine too well. there’s some left over around a couple frets. it’s a glossy maple board.

what do i do to get that off?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Why the gently caress didn't I have an SG before yesterday? SGs own

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

you know, I think I had the exact same problem with my B string once LG, on my H-150 (LP style guitar). An unpleasant ring only on like, either the third or fourth fret. I think I solved it by cleaning out the nut, like some bit of dust was the culprit. try taking the strings off and cleaning it up a bit, then re-stringing, you never know, and I mean even if its not that hey, at least you have a tidy guitar

it felt really stupid when that fixed it, because I had tried a bunch of minor mechanic adjustments, truss rod tweaks etc, but hey it worked

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
SGs are a body shape that makes we want to play the gnarliest poo poo I can, but then the neck profile feels off or three headstock dives or something makes me sigh and put it back.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

SGs are a body shape that makes we want to play the gnarliest poo poo I can, but then the neck profile feels off or three headstock dives or something makes me sigh and put it back.

I worry about that too, but if I'm holding it ain't no way it's diving on me :clint: Dealt with a headstock-heavy explorer-style for some time, I'm trained.

I feel like over time I've become almost without preference regarding necks. I got thin and thick profiles now, and I love 'em all, each just feels like That Guitar to me.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
nobody has their poo poo together that is an unattainable goal

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

taps sign pointing to no e/n

My solution to a bit of fret buzz was to turn up the gain.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Red_Fred posted:

Why didn't you buy a Boss Katana?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Red_Fred posted:

I am more of a black tape over an engine warning light kind of guitarist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

That Ibanez is gorgeous.

Also I liked your Eddie stuff the other day.