Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

Bass Pro Shop owns dude. Much better to idolize hunting and fishing gear then some old dead guy

I-

Gaius Marius posted:

some old dead guy

Gaius Marius

You aren't named Hunting and Fishing Gear I see :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Interesting Twitter thread about ancient seafaring in Assyrian/Phoenician times, the whole thing is worth a read, its got some crazy stories about experimental archaeologists almost drowning in poorly made boat-reconstructions:
https://twitter.com/cwjones89/status/1547160424759451650

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Accidentally drowning, being cut or blown up is the best part about experimental archeology.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrypticFox posted:

Interesting Twitter thread about ancient seafaring in Assyrian/Phoenician times, the whole thing is worth a read, its got some crazy stories about experimental archaeologists almost drowning in poorly made boat-reconstructions:

fuckin owns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seafaring technology was quite the game changer I imagine, and probably had a lot of skills that weren't written down, and even actively kept secret, and might have been lost and rediscovered probably multiple times. After all, having the ability to sail and navigate in the open ocean when others are still on square sails and staying within sight of the shore would be an incredible game changer, and probably why those Sea People kept loving so much poo poo up.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Probably a lot of expeditions in the past were just some captain getting hired or ordered to scout an area, he goes there, he comes back and submits a report, gets paid, says "well, that was crazy" and lives out his life, his report if written down ends up unread in some archive and eventually lost forever.

I know of one incident just like that, the first expedition to round the Russian far east into Manchuria by sea and actually confirm Asia is not connected to North America, it was led by some cossack whose name I forget and only known because a scholar some hundred or so years later happened to stumble upon his written report.

It was Simon Dezhnov in the 1640's and the report was discovered by Friedrich Müller about 80 years later.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 14, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grevling posted:

Probably a lot of expeditions in the past were just some captain getting hired or ordered to scout an area, he goes there, he comes back and submits a report, gets paid, says "well, that was crazy" and lives out his life, his report if written down ends up unread in some archive and eventually lost forever.

Or in the case of Xu Fu, using it as a way to escape from a clearly insane ruler and becoming a king in Japan.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Reading on Muslim court politics I've come across a lot of fratricide especially among the ottomans, but I was still shocked reading about the sucession of the Ottoman Empire from Sultan Murad III to his son Mehmed III in 1595. After his burial, Mehmed summoned his nineteen half brothers to swear fealty. The oldest was eleven years old. After they all kissed his hand, he had them circumcised and then strangled with silk handkerchiefs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
When you compare it to other succession systems where multiple entire lines of families could get wiped out, or where wars for succession end up killing thousands, inhuman though it seems perhaps it has it's not really a bad alternative.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Reading on Muslim court politics I've come across a lot of fratricide especially among the ottomans, but I was still shocked reading about the sucession of the Ottoman Empire from Sultan Murad III to his son Mehmed III in 1595. After his burial, Mehmed summoned his nineteen half brothers to swear fealty. The oldest was eleven years old. After they all kissed his hand, he had them circumcised and then strangled with silk handkerchiefs.

Why circumcised? You'd think they were already circumcised, at least the older ones.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Koramei posted:

When you compare it to other succession systems where multiple entire lines of families could get wiped out, or where wars for succession end up killing thousands, inhuman though it seems perhaps it has it's not really a bad alternative.

To be fair the Ottomans also had those as well, just only when the new ruler didn't get all his brothers strangled in time

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also why circumcise them if you're going to murder them immediately after?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well you don't want to do it when they're dead, you'd have to touch a corpse and that's icky

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It was for about 200 years too, and was put in place after a massive civil war between three brothers so it made some good sense.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

Just completely guessing, but could it be some spiritual purity thing for the afterlife? Like in some sects of Christianity they'd scramble to baptize newborn babies in case they'd die young.

Like yeah you're about to kill them all but they're still your brothers and members of the royal family, I expect you want them to be as comfortable as possible after you've made certain they're not gonna inconvenience you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: Koramei :argh:

PittTheElder posted:

Its the pious thing to do!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Presumably the circumcision is because islam (and also judaism and coptic christianity) mandates it, and you want to make sure your kid brothers are taken care of in the hereafter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm guessing that dick pain is gonna make it harder to fight back

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah you might be murdering children by the cartload but there's no need to be a dick heh about it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CrypticFox posted:

Lol this is pretty loving funny though:

https://twitter.com/cwjones89/status/1441037139886710787

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Circumcision happens at a later age in Turkey with a whole coming of age celebration and party these days with being able to recite lines from the Quran(sorta like a bar mitzvah).

you also get a baller as gently caress outfit and they circumcise you infront of all your family, then parade you. My Turkish friends would never give up a chance to show off their circumcision pictures where all their uncles are drunkenly laughing around them while they are getting snipped. So i guess having a party and turning into a man?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 15, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Huh, that's interesting. I thought Korea was the only place that did weirdly late circumcision (sixth grade is normal so uh, 11/12?).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Ottoman fratricide is one of the more overblown aspects of their monarchy. The incident you're describing here is one of two where an incoming sultan murdered all their kid brothers, and the horrific element of it led the succeeding sultan Ahmed I to ban royal executions of this nature.

Previous examples of Ottoman fratricide were mainly the results of succession wars, which were common throughout Europe in the early modern period. Ottoman succession crises would come from (half)-brothers rather than cousins because their royal families would just have a lot of brothers around due to taking multiple wives.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grand Fromage posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I thought Korea was the only place that did weirdly late circumcision (sixth grade is normal so uh, 11/12?).

Pretty common among peoples in Sub-Saharan Africa as an initiation into manhood, too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Kazakhstan you still do sundet rituals, but at around 4-6, so earlier than 12 but well within the times you can remember and form horrible memories out of. And the kid doesn't even get a cool outfit. https://old.qazaqtv.com/en/programms/viewArchive?id=14308

You get a very special bath and a very steppe nomad haircut, a nice hat, but it's not nearly like that.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 15, 2022

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Assyrian Kings have some great stuff where they talk about super basic stuff in heroic terms. Here's another one from 3 years earlier: https://twitter.com/cwjones89/status/1354448524516192264

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Best read in a truly Presidential voice :sad:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tunicate posted:

I'm guessing that dick pain is gonna make it harder to fight back

Pretty sure this literally happened in the Bible once.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Devarim 25:11 through 13

כִּֽי־יִנָּצ֨וּ אֲנָשִׁ֤ים יַחְדָּו֙ אִ֣ישׁ וְאָחִ֔יו וְקָֽרְבָה֙ אֵ֣שֶׁת הָֽאֶחָ֔ד לְהַצִּ֥יל אֶת־אִישָׁ֖הּ מִיַּ֣ד מַכֵּ֑הוּ וְשָׁלְחָ֣ה יָדָ֔הּ וְהֶחֱזִ֖יקָה בִּמְבֻשָֽׁיו
If two parties are fighting—one man with another—and the wife of one comes up to save her husband from his antagonist and puts out her hand and seizes him by his genitals,
וְקַצֹּתָ֖ה אֶת־כַּפָּ֑הּ לֹ֥א תָח֖וֹס עֵינֶֽךָ        
you shall cut off her hand; show no pity.
לֹֽא־יִהְיֶ֥ה לְךָ֛ בְּכִֽיסְךָ֖ אֶ֣בֶן וָאָ֑בֶן גְּדוֹלָ֖ה וּקְטַנָּֽה
You shall not have in your pouch alternate weights, larger and smaller.

Well alrighty then, almighty creator of the universe, these mitzvot are equally of vital importance

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Who put niqqud on those ancient texts?

It's not real Torah if you aren't having to blindly guess the vowels!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure this literally happened in the Bible once.

quote:

Because their sister Dinah had been defiled, Jacob's sons replied deceitfully as they spoke to Shechem and his father Hamor. 14 They said to them, 'We can't do such a thing; we can't give our sister to a man who is not circumcised. That would be a disgrace to us. 15 We will enter into an agreement with you on one condition only: that you become like us by circumcising all your males. 16 Then we will give you our daughters and take your daughters for ourselves. We'll settle among you and become one people with you. 17 But if you will not agree to be circumcised, we'll take our sister and go.'

18 Their proposal seemed good to Hamor and his son Shechem. 19 The young man, who was the most honored of all his father's family, lost no time in doing what they said, because he was delighted with Jacob's daughter. 20 So Hamor and his son Shechem went to the gate of their city to speak to the men of their city. 21 These men are friendly toward us,' they said. 'Let them live in our land and trade in it; the land has plenty of room for them. We can marry their daughters and they can marry ours. 22 But the men will agree to live with us as one people only on the condition that our males be circumcised, as they themselves are. 23 Won't their livestock, their property and all their other animals become ours? So let us agree to their terms, and they will settle among us.'

24 All the men who went out of the city gate agreed with Hamor and his son Shechem, and every male in the city was circumcised.

25 Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob's sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male. 26 They put Hamor and his son Shechem to the sword and took Dinah from Shechem's house and left. 27 The sons of Jacob came upon the dead bodies and looted the city where their sister had been defiled. 28 They seized their flocks and herds and donkeys and everything else of theirs in the city and out in the fields. 29 They carried off all their wealth and all their women and children, taking as plunder everything in the houses

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Devarim 25:11 through 13

כִּֽי־יִנָּצ֨וּ אֲנָשִׁ֤ים יַחְדָּו֙ אִ֣ישׁ וְאָחִ֔יו וְקָֽרְבָה֙ אֵ֣שֶׁת הָֽאֶחָ֔ד לְהַצִּ֥יל אֶת־אִישָׁ֖הּ מִיַּ֣ד מַכֵּ֑הוּ וְשָׁלְחָ֣ה יָדָ֔הּ וְהֶחֱזִ֖יקָה בִּמְבֻשָֽׁיו
If two parties are fighting—one man with another—and the wife of one comes up to save her husband from his antagonist and puts out her hand and seizes him by his genitals,
לֹֽא־יִהְיֶ֥ה לְךָ֛ בְּכִֽיסְךָ֖ אֶ֣בֶן וָאָ֑בֶן גְּדוֹלָ֖ה וּקְטַנָּֽה
You shall not have in your pouch alternate weights, larger and smaller.

Well alrighty then, almighty creator of the universe, these mitzvot are equally of vital importance

Yeah using false weights is a real dixk move

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

so what you're saying is that a priest definitely got his balls crushed at some point in history

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So much of the worlds religious taboos and proscriptions are so very obviously the pet peeve or traumatic memory of the individual writer.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

galagazombie posted:

So much of the worlds religious taboos and proscriptions are so very obviously the pet peeve or traumatic memory of the individual writer.

The adult equivalent of when two kids are playing and one of the kids wins so the other kid starts inventing new rules.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine being Moses. Ok my son, here's the foundational religious rules that most of the human race will end up following, here's the specifics of my worship down to the cubit, here's a description of your death (you don't get to live in the promised land lmao), and then here's some stuff that we need to remember because one of your brother's descendants is gonna have his balls smashed and then get Ea-Nasir'd. It'll be a bad day.

Imagined posted:

The adult equivalent of when two kids are playing and one of the kids wins so the other kid starts inventing new rules.

God, attested posted:

"My children have triumphed over Me; My children have triumphed over Me!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 16, 2022

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

galagazombie posted:

How do I get in on this? Cuz I got one.

"It was loving Sumer not Sumeria, Sumerian is the adjective for Sumer. For if he says Sumeria he shall be surely and instantly put to death."

I don't get why that's so common but it instantly makes me write off whatever I'm reading, such a basic thing to get constantly wrong and also my stupidest and most trivial pet peeve.

I feel like, of all historical places, ancient Mesopotamia is probably the most full of people talking out their rear end, maybe 2nd to Egypt but either way they're close.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/AntigoneJournal/status/1548358409702887427

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Desperately hoping question 7 caused schoolyard brawls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Desperately hoping question 7 caused schoolyard brawls.

I guarantee it did.