Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

How many tories will call her “mummy” do we think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol why did jeremy oval office get eliminated so quickly this time

i'm not paying too much attention because british politics is a lost cause and seccession is the only hope of salvation at this point

and honestly it feels like just a few months ago that we had the last one of these

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got a Cultural Marxism 101 link or effort post?

I'm lost as to why it is supposedly code for Jewish persons and anti-semitic or semitic - not quite clear which way it falls!

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

crispix posted:

lol why did jeremy oval office get eliminated so quickly this time

i'm not paying too much attention because british politics is a lost cause and seccession is the only hope of salvation at this point

and honestly it feels like just a few months ago that we had the last one of these

a) He pissed off a load of MPs by generally being an *overtly* ambitious oval office, as opposed to the generally preferred covert cuntitude.
b) Although he is very much a "gently caress the poor" type (good), he voted remain and has consistently backed less mad forms of Brexit (very bad) and probably doesn't personally care much about the culture war (also bad). Had zero chance with the members as a result.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Lady Gaza posted:

How many tories will call her “mummy” do we think

Yes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm lost as to why it is supposedly code for Jewish persons and anti-semitic or semitic - not quite clear which way it falls!

it was the supposed tool of Jewish people to subvert "western culture" through various means and originated as "cultural bolshevism" under the nazis, it's literal recycled nazi propaganda

the wiki article isn't too bad as a primer in this case from what I can see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Mordaunt is losing the crypto-fash conspiracy weirdo vote, but that might actually help among the more 'average english tory' pensioners

https://twitter.com/hector_drummond/status/1544995160815288321
Imagine being the sort of loser that cribs directly off of these weirds a week later and claims it as original insight.

Now imagine being that and also a pedophile

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1547533888968445954

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a modernisation of an old Nazi riff of Cultural Bolshevism, which people like Goebbels used to describe artistic movements that they didn't like & it's inherently anti-semitic for the way it implies there is something about the other old Nazi line of Judeo-Bolshevism. It also massively overstates the influence of the Frankfurt School cultural theorists, many of whose most prominent names (Adorno, Benjamin, Marcuse, Fromm, Horkheimer) were at least partially ethnically Jewish.

Honestly doubt I'd even have heard of the Frankfurt School if not for the Cultural Marxism poo poo. As it is all I really know is that Adorno has the most boring views on music imaginable. Like, the ideas of the mass culture industry pumping out slop that ensures the masses remain obedient, & then he goes & ruins it by holding up jazz an example of this & he just comes off as this boring old fart who thinks the only good tunes are from before he was born.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 14, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thanks @DesperateDan and @Forkboy84

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly doubt I'd even have heard of the Frankfurt School if not for the Cultural Marxism poo poo. As it is all I really know is that Adorno has the most boring views on music imaginable. Like, the ideas of the mass culture industry pumping out slop that ensures the masses remain obedient, & then he goes & ruins it by holding up jazz an example of this & he just comes off as this boring old fart who thinks the only good tunes are from before he was born.
Of course like many real world schools of science/philosophy/art (or anything else) they spent more time sniping at one another and getting embroiled in endless personal disputes than they did changing the world, so they're hardly the lockstep cabal of Elders that the cryptofascist conspiracy theorists want them to be.

Horkheimer is better than Adorno, because his work into authoritarian personality and the F (for fash) Factor is at least closer to observable reality than endless wittering about jazz, and probably cuts a little too close to home with the people that hated them all.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I had the afternoon off work to go to a funeral and when it was time to go into the crem I just… didn’t. Went for a walk in the woods instead. Stopped for a sit on a bench which was dedicated to the memory of a man with exactly the same name as me, including middle name. Apparently I died in 2010, but I was 91 so that’s not bad.

Now I should be at a wake but I’m not!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Your life just sounds like something out of a novel, Sandford, you don't really exist.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Forgot the point I was posting. By listening to various vaguely posh old people outside the crematorium, when it comes to PM - woman yes, foreigner no. They all seemed to despise Priti Patel and Nadhim Zahawi a lot. Only topics of concern were the cost of living, Russia, and the behaviour of people in government. Mordaunt favourite, some highly unpleasant “hurr hurr” from a couple red-faced old men and mock outrage from their wives when she was mentioned. You see why I didn’t go to the service, or the after party.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The Perfect Element posted:

Your life just sounds like something out of a novel, Sandford, you don't really exist.

In the woods instead of at a funeral! And I know it proves nothing, but this was the bench:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Stay safe bench ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sandals with no socks?

Disgraceful

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Even though its totally juvenile it never fails to make me laugh just how small Sunak is.
Fair play to his handlers. They've done a great job for years framing him in a way to stop most people realising.

https://twitter.com/caldbec1/status/1284948531623669760

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
smol bean sunak

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I'd have thought it should be easy to get over his height?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Starmer's not exactly a tall man either.

Clearly the time has come for Big Lad Burgon to take charge.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'll die before you put me on one of those bench plaques!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Send in the 9 foot Corbyn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's just Corbyn piggybacking on John McDonnell in a giant trenchcoat but the melts are too thick to notice.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dude can't help how tall he is, I don't think we should make fun of him for it....

However this is quite funny:

https://twitter.com/MickeyMarxClub/status/1545335922761277441?s=20&t=5RMgW0Q2U1i22_0RfYXrQA

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He had surgery to make it easier to not listen to the left too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tesseraction posted:

Send in the 9 foot Corbyn.

Long Corbyn

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jippa posted:

It's coming to that time of year when I look at AC units and realise how expensive they are and don't buy one. Did someone post a cheap one here a few days ago or did I imagine it?

If it's just for yourself, personally I'd grab a cheap portable swamp/evaporative cooler. £40 from china for something ultra low wattage so when the power grid bursts into flames on Sunday you can run it off a cheap solar panel.

E:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-13/as-uk-bakes-city-heat-islands-are-straining-the-energy-grid#xj4y7vzkg
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/argentina-capital-hit-by-major-power-outage-amid-heat-wave-2022-01-11/

RockyB fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 14, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Swamp coolers may work for you or they may be a terrible idea based on what your house is like and what the atmospheric humidity is on a particular day.

They work by evaporation, you can get the same effect by pointing a fan at a damp bedsheet. Your body gets rid of heat by sweating, and that sweat evaporating, which is limited by relative humidity - if the relative humidity is 100% then the air won't take any more moisture and so your sweat doesn't evaporate.

So if you're cooling your room down but increasing the humidity, then yes you may feel a little cooler but also you're limiting the ability of the air to take heat away from your body by sweat evaporation.

They can work really well if you live somewhere with naturally low humidity like Arizona, but with the really humid muggy heat you often get in the UK, they'll be less effective. Also if you're not careful, you can increase the humidity in your house to the point where it's unhealthy. I think anything above about 50% humidity can lead to mould.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's when you get a mini-split installed and run it in dehumidifier mode.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really getting the impression that I could be a political force just by being fairly tall and wide and towering over all the wee politics men and shouting policies in my outdoor voice.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Really getting the impression that I could be a political force just by being fairly tall and wide and towering over all the wee politics men and shouting policies in my outdoor voice.

There's that one Tory councillor who's an absolute unit. I assume that's how he did it.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

OwlFancier posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heigh...tial_candidates

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Short men are gross. Men should be tall, have a strong jaw and wear flannel. Like a real man.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Hot temperatures are bad for the output and efficiency of gas power stations, too - gas turbines are limited by how much oxygen you can get into them, and for a given pressure and volume this falls as temperature rises; and steam turbines are limited by the temperature of their cold sink, which is usually either air or river water.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Short men are gross. Men should be tall, have a strong jaw and wear flannel. Like a real man.

Alas, two out of three, I am bereft

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When the heatwave hits I might wear a flannel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I'm out in the sun I usually wear a bandanna on my head because otherwise it absorbs a lot of heat, also you can soak it in water which keeps your head cool.

I do technically also have a two foot wide sombrero but it doesn't match any of my other clothes.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
To be clear I'm not suggesting it for cooling the entire house, just as a cheap low energy way to get some personal cooling similar to but a bit more effective than a fan. Given energy prices, the availability of gas to run turbines and our generally creaking grid I'm more comfortable having something that I know can keep going regardless rather than an american style energy hog.

Using it to just take the edge off the weather also avoids any problems with damp, because you'll only be running it once in a while.

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

Owling Howl posted:

https://youtu.be/jW9cnAbiyrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sandals with no socks?

Disgraceful

No no, it’s SanFORD, and I don’t see what’s particularly wrong with him not wearing socks