Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Here in Georgia Tesla's not allowed to hold more than 5 locations. 7 years ago my state had them limited to 150 sales per year.
Is this a dealership law thing or does Georgia have some gently caress You Tesla law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Is this a dealership law thing or does Georgia have some gently caress You Tesla law

It's the latter. There's 18 states that either prevent sales or limit the number of locations. I'm sure Rivian's going to run into this issue as well.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Though on a serious note, how's Tesla doing with expanding their service centers with more cars on the road?

I can get an appointment in 2-3 weeks at the local service center, or one next week a little over an hour away. (That one is in a smaller city, which I think is a factor.) My wife took her (non-electric) car into the Nissan dealership last month for some warranty stuff, and her wait was ~6 weeks from scheduling to actual diagnosis.

I think everything is just hosed everywhere. The difference is that I could take an ICE vehicle to a crumbling shop run by a grizzled old dude who might fix it in 20 minutes for $6, which is something that isn’t yet an option for EVs.

Vegetable posted:

But you repeat yourself?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

as far as i can tell the big barrier to trad OEM ev sales right now is availability

Availability IS a problem, but the 5-10k ADMs being slapped on EVs is also a huge problem that's complicating EV adoption at lower price points.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SchrodingersCat posted:

Availability IS a problem, but the 5-10k ADMs being slapped on EVs is also a huge problem that's complicating EV adoption at lower price points.

That seems related to availability though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

"Surely MY Tesla won't have issues or fall victim to the company's well-publicised problems!"

Though on a serious note, how's Tesla doing with expanding their service centers with more cars on the road?

It's because of loaner availability which Ford didn't even offer me one when they had my Mach for three weeks to fix the factory defects on it, so...

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I know it's anecdotal but I've had much better experiences with Tesla service than in the past 10 years of dealing with Mitsubishi dealership service with my previous car. I recognize that's about the lowest bar possible to clear, but Tesla never tried to lie to my face (in plain view of the car, no less) about brake discs being worn out so they could talk about potentially trading it in for a new one. All the times i've dealt with them they've been upfront about parts availability. They don't proactively communicate this information until it's way too late, unfortunately.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

priznat posted:

That seems related to availability though.

True, it's easier to add markups when you are the only dealer in your market with a certain model.

Although, I have heard horror stories of Ford dealers adding 5k markups after taking delivery of customer ordered MMEs, when they were still readily available via order.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1547219300116664322?s=21&t=Yqfct0Jb7eH8YwXGvxszuA

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

When's the bronco lightning coming?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

builds character posted:

Hell yeah I want a 2 door bronco lightning.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

builds character posted:

I think the existence of that one was already leaked a while ago, I’d bet 2026 at the earliest with an announcement in 2024

I base that on nothing except my gut

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SchrodingersCat posted:

EVs of every kind are flying off lots so I don’t think it’s hurting manufacturers or dealers or adoption though it’s obviously hurting consumers. Maybe it creates negative sentiment that has long term effects but ADM isn’t the reason Ford or VW or Hyundai aren’t selling more EVs, it’s that they don’t have any more to sell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder how long before they get into overproducing EVs and there is a glut of them. These things always seem to pingpong wildly (see video cards right now)

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Service is pretty bad. I broke the visor clip and scheduled an appointment at a service center and they changed it to a mobile tech. I told them this would not work because I was working nights and I wasn’t going to leave my car outside and unlocked while I slept. So I changed it back to a service center and then they changed it back to a mobile tech. I finally got a service center appointment and I figured it would be a 2 minute job since it’s just take out screw and old clip, insert new clip and screw. Nope, said it would take an hour. Wtf?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

Service is pretty bad. I broke the visor clip and scheduled an appointment at a service center and they changed it to a mobile tech. I told them this would not work because I was working nights and I wasn’t going to leave my car outside and unlocked while I slept. So I changed it back to a service center and then they changed it back to a mobile tech. I finally got a service center appointment and I figured it would be a 2 minute job since it’s just take out screw and old clip, insert new clip and screw. Nope, said it would take an hour. Wtf?

For what it’s worth (and assuming this is part of the Tesla discussion and not the Ford one), you don’t have to leave the car unlocked. They can open the doors when they get there as long as there’s cell service.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Quit breaking your visor clips.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

priznat posted:

I wonder how long before they get into overproducing EVs and there is a glut of them. These things always seem to pingpong wildly (see video cards right now)

years. years and years away

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

years. years and years away

Yeah with a lot of jurisdictions moving to limit the number of ICE cars sold it will really juice the numbers in favour of EVs.. gonna sell as fast as they can crank them out for a while. Even without the supply chain issues it'll be a hot market.

I will ~never~ pay a dealer markup though I just can't do it. I'll drive my car til it dies if that is what it takes.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I put a $100 reservation down for an ID4 the first week of June and today I got an email requesting the additional $400 to finalize the design and begin production. I don’t know how accurate VW’s timeline is, but they said the vehicle was still scheduled to arrive this year. Much faster turnaround than I expected.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

It's a dealership law thing - some states ban direct sales outright, others limit the number of 1st party dealerships that you can operate within a state. Strong dealership cartels put this in place and resist changing it

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

I put a $100 reservation down for an ID4 the first week of June and today I got an email requesting the additional $400 to finalize the design and begin production. I don’t know how accurate VW’s timeline is, but they said the vehicle was still scheduled to arrive this year. Much faster turnaround than I expected.

Watch out, buddy, this is the exact sort of thing I'd expect to see from a con man!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SchrodingersCat posted:

I couldn't imagine buying an EV without having a way to get permanent L2 charging at your domicile.

I leased an EV two years ago.

I stupidly assumed that the 220v dryer outlet in my rented duplex would actually be 220v.

It wasn't (San Diego has a lot of places built that aren't exactly up to code), but L1 has been good enough.

Oh it would cost $1500 to fix that (needs a sub breaker box, the current one is filled) so f-that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Oh it would cost $1500 to fix that (needs a sub breaker box, the current one is filled) so f-that.

Let me tell you about how much it cost to install these new minisplits.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

bird with big dick posted:

It’s mind boggling that so many dipshits are willing to believe that all the people they see charging in public are paying 50 cents per mile of range.

When I charge on long trips and use Electrify America I'm paying $0.31/kWh.

On the highway (75-80 mph) the Kia Niro manages 3.4 miles/kWh. So about 9¢ per mile of range.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

cruft posted:

Let me tell you about how much it cost to install these new minisplits.

Somehow this scares me.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Somehow this scares me.

Anyway $1500 to install an L2 charger isn't outrageous. I totally understand not wanting to sink that into a rental, though.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone have experience with Tesla warranty loaners? I'm supposedly getting one tomorrow. I assume it'll be a Y LR and there's zero chance of a P or S or X but I'd love to hear otherwise.

In my experience, it depends on the cars in stock and how long your service will take.

For my Model 3 heat pump recall, they put me in a 2019 Model S locked in Chill mode. For a service visit a few months later they said they had no loaners available and paid for an Enterprise rental car. They offered Uber credit, too.

My last visit involved replacing the HV battery under warranty and they gave me a 2020 3 LR with the OTA acceleration boost and not locked into chill mode :getin: (still speed limited to 85 though)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’ve been given a pair of P85s (a P85 and a P85D) not locked to anything. Your service centers are some jaded motherfuckers. Lol

Anecdotally, the original Fort Lauderdale Tesla location was kinda poo poo. It was ok for a half dozen roadsters and a couple Ses a month, but the moment the 3 became a real thing they were hilariously overcrowded with service alone, let alone new vehicle delivery and all the other functions they have. They moved into a former Best Buy location about a year ago, and service waits went WAAAAY down. It’s not perfect (it still takes a week or two to get an appointment,) but I vastly prefer it to basically any other OE’s dealer network.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Hobbez posted:

Speaking of shady dealers my sales contact at the local VW dealer went from super responsive to complete radio silence after asking him to put into writing his assurance that they only sell their incoming ID4s that customers reserve with them for MSRP.

It’s only been 24 hours or so but feels a little ominous.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lol they’re not going to do that

gently caress that! I e-mailed another dealership and told them I'd switch my ID.4 reservation to them if they put in writing they guarantee to sell at MSRP, and they agreed to do so, and quickly. Granted, it's not binding or anything, but it's SOMETHING I can beat them or VWOA over the head with when the vehicle comes in. And the previous sales guy refusing to respond to my e-mails was a red flag anyway.

Here's hoping the new Chattanooga plant pumps these things out well

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wayne Knight posted:

Hell yeah I want a 2 door bronco lightning.

:hellyeah:

Just browsing this thread as I'm going to get a new car at some point (but prices on everything are absurd so maybe another six months when they'll still be absurd but I'll be more willing to deal with it) and I'd like an electric car. 2 door bronco lightning would be on the list for sure. Rivian's suv looks nice too, but I think those are really your only options for larger SUVs that look like a brick which it turns out is a style I like.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think the existence of that one was already leaked a while ago, I’d bet 2026 at the earliest with an announcement in 2024

I base that on nothing except my gut

Seems like they'd do sooner, no? Unless they have to adapting the mustang platform is particularly difficult for some reason. If for no other reason than to capitalize on how much folks want EVs now. and I suppose on that note, one reason to slow it down is they're already selling all the ICE broncos and mach-Es they can.

builds character fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 13, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

cruft posted:

Anyway $1500 to install an L2 charger isn't outrageous. I totally understand not wanting to sink that into a rental, though.

I already had bought a L2 charger that works perfectly fine as a L1.

At first I blamed the charger but apparently the company had seen this before so I called in an electrician and he verified the mis-wiring.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That sucks. I had a hearty lol when I asked the property manager permission to install an outlet in my garage and they were like “generously, the landlord will allow you to improve her house at your own cost, you’re welcome.” Got away with rerouting an already present 220v dryer outlet to just underneath the breaker for $300. It’s on the slow end for a L2 but it still gets my car to 80% overnight so idc

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I have a portable L2 charger that was mentioned here as a Amazon deal in 2000. Had multiple plug adaptors.

When I was working in LA I got away with charging at the office garage for almost a year.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Walmart To Purchase 4,500 Canoo Electric Delivery Vehicles To Be Used for Last Mile Deliveries in Support of Its Growing eCommerce Business

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsr...mmerce-business

It’s an interesting design. Supposed to be very serviceable.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s an interesting design.

This is absolutely my jam, but I'm sure there are going to be people who are put off by the Benazepril on wheels.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 14, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Drove the bolt euv I had reserved. I hadn't driven an EV before, it was pretty interesting, and the car is full of all kinds of tech. Was able to talk the dealership out of all of the markup so it's msrp. Going to have the wife drive it tomorrow and if she likes it I'll probably get it for my commuter.

The only problem I had with it was it looked like lane centering is only active with supercruise, when you have adaptive cruise on its just lane keep assist, but my commute is on the supercruise map so whatever.

Wisconsin has a special level 2 charger you can install I guess that gives you lower off peak charging prices but they won't install it so I guess I'll have to get an electrician for that, unless the free chevy install would do it for me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Drove the bolt euv I had reserved. I hadn't driven an EV before, it was pretty interesting, and the car is full of all kinds of tech. Was able to talk the dealership out of all of the markup so it's msrp. Going to have the wife drive it tomorrow and if she likes it I'll probably get it for my commuter.

The only problem I had with it was it looked like lane centering is only active with supercruise, when you have adaptive cruise on its just lane keep assist, but my commute is on the supercruise map so whatever.

Wisconsin has a special level 2 charger you can install I guess that gives you lower off peak charging prices but they won't install it so I guess I'll have to get an electrician for that, unless the free chevy install would do it for me.

It might just be blocking charging at some hours. If so, maybe the Bolt can do that on its own?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just finished testing the e208, it's nice. Suspension is a bit on the firm side but nothing impossible to live with, turning circle is good and interior space is decent given the car size. Cargo space is kinda small given the competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Pretty sure the "free chevy install" is more like "here's $500 to offset hiring an electrician".

Even if it isn't, I sure would want a car dealership doing electrical work on my house.