Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like Plus, Frontier, Delta and II are all getting western releases on Blu Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

The question is will we get the correct dub for Vol.4 of the Plus OVA instead of the international release that doest have Bryan Cranston.

JudgeJoeBrown fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 2, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, which is the good version of Plus - movie or OVA? I only watched one and I can't remember which.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, which is the good version of Plus - movie or OVA? I only watched one and I can't remember which.

The OVA is better overall though the movie makes some changes to Guld's death that work better. I recall there was a fan edit floating around out there that put the good changes from the movie onto the OVA.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A pretty quick hack for an ideal Plus experience would be watching the first three OVAs then switching to the movie at the point where the fourth OVA starts. I'd wager that's basically what fan edits do.

If you do have to pick one, the OVA would be better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cranston is real good in the OVA.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Cranston is real good in the OVA.

Yeah. He gets the balance right so Dyson is likable, but you can still understand why almost everyone he meets wants to strangle him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

They're both good and have bits in that the other doesn't so you have to watch both

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Yeah find the time to watch both but I do think I like the movie a little more.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

the end of the ova in particular is so much more music video like and trancey that I've always enjoyed that version just a bit more(I typically watch that part subbed tho)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GaKEgkFg9s

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It looks like a girls und panzer thing rather than gundam, not impressed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In what way?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

In what way?

It gives vibes of tournament arc, since every mecha is distinct rather than mass produced ones, plus nobody old enough to drink and drive at the wheel.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Both g gundam and child soldiers are treasured hallmarks of the gundam franchise I'll have you know

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Also, there are mass produced suits shown in the prologue that was streamed today and which will probably be available subbed within the next few days. Including a Gundam that is produced in at least limited numbers, since we see 3 that are identical. It doesn't even have a V-fin. It's also worth remembering that Bright was the most senior person on the White Base once Captain Paola died in episode 3 (I think it's then anyway), and he was only 19. There might have been someone older than him, but the vast majority of the crew were in the 17 to 19 age. Char was 19 too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 14, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that sounds more like reverse ibo, where everyone except the mc gets royally hosed up by piloting. getting hosed up by losing while piloting is a whole other issue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh no??? teens piloting robots in a undam show??????

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Child soldiers in my Gundam? Next you’ll be telling me there’s some sort of populist uprising that’s going to turn out to be space nazis, an out of touch empire, and a bunch of corrupt capitalists.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At least it being Gundam we can assure ourselves their won't be any warcrimes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

At least it being Gundam we can assure ourselves their won't be any warcrimes

As the Gundam Fight is a replacement for war, would cheating in it qualify as a war crime?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Only if you get caught Mr.Chapman

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

As the Gundam Fight is a replacement for war, would cheating in it qualify as a war crime?

Nah, it's just a foul then. Red card territory.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Did Mellowlink ever get a Blu-ray release in the us?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It looks like it's a Japan only collection called the Perfect Soldier Box which includes everything Votoms for about $900. Which is lol, but I hope that it being Blu Ray means it'll get an international release eventually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

It looks like it's a Japan only collection called the Perfect Soldier Box which includes everything Votoms for about $900. Which is lol, but I hope that it being Blu Ray means it'll get an international release eventually.

Yeah okay that's what I thought, I picked up the VOTOMS Blu-ray release that didn't have it a while back and wasn't sure if it had come out a third time while I wasn't paying attention. Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ETPSv68Bg

This cropped up in my feed. I like Votoms, never played thr Armored Core games, cool mashup. Are the games good? Where would they fall on the scale of arcade-to-simulator for Mech combat?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The AC games are good, firmly on the arcade side of the divide but still with a good amount of crunchy mech assembly gameplay.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Armored Core is... A spectrum.

With pretty much every console generation it changed pretty drastically, with the PSX and PS2 games being the 'most similar' so to speak, but for the most part it kinda depends what you want out of it, since there are a lot of ways to play even within the context of a given generation. PSX games are pretty basic but fast enough, and a general solid foundation on the action and building aspects.

The PS2 games stepped it up big time on the customization front and kept the speed decently high, though they did take steps to mitigate it a bit past AC2AA, adding more drawbacks to speed options, and really took it to another level in Nexus with its booster heat stuff. For the most part this era is kinda defined by manipulating how the lock on systems work and stuff, and so it can be a bit more involved there, but for the most part it isn't demanded of you to super finetune your operation or anything.

AC4 stepped up the appearance of speed, with stuff like quickboosts and whatnot, but kinda has an issue with everywhere you fight just being a giant open area so its less impactful, and focused more on twitch action dodge button kinda stuff than the earlier ones. And ACV tried to do weird squad role stuff and, uh, kinda fell on its face for it.

Overall though, they're generally pretty fast paced mech action stuff, not really doing the whole mechwarrior slow and stompy style, so if that sounds up your alley, its def worth a shot.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Armored Core: For Answer (360/PS3) is my fav, that one I recommend to anyone. Fast, easy to get into, cool stuff. Love the aesthetics of the classic PS1 games too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ETPSv68Bg

This cropped up in my feed. I like Votoms, never played thr Armored Core games, cool mashup. Are the games good? Where would they fall on the scale of arcade-to-simulator for Mech combat?

I've been playing through the originals lately (most of the way through 2, finished with all the PS1 games), and it depends on how you break down the divide.

ACs are responsive and they move quickly, but the games have a lot to keep track of. Since you build your own mechs, you have to worry about weight, generator power, and the like. You also don't get mid-mission refills of ammo most of the time, so unless you want to settle everything with melee (and you don't want that when starting out), you have to ration your shots or bring a lot of guns, which increases weight. Further, you pay for any post-mission repairs and non-energy weapon ammunition, which cuts into your earnings for missions. (In fact, if you use lots of missiles and high powered rounds, you can actually lose money, even on a successful mission.)

The control scheme for the first half of the series (every game prior to Nexus) is designed around the PS1 controller pre dual shock, so it's tricky to get a handle on. No analogue controls, vertical aiming with the shoulder triggers, strafing with the shoulder buttons. You can customize it, but the sticks don't do anything until generation 3.5.

One cool thing with some parts of the series, though, is that losing is expected and integrated into the mechanics. The plot advances, win or lose (with a few exceptions), and the only difference is if you get paid. Fail enough to get deep in debt, and you get volunteered for cyber-newtype testing... which is basically New Game +, giving new abilities that make the game easier, letting you keep all your mech parts, and resetting the missions back to the beginning so you can start fresh. You're not a hero, after all. You're a mercenary, taking jobs from both sides of a corporate war, and until the end, it doesn't matter that much who's winning. What matters is that your paycheck clears.

And if the campaigns aren't enough, there's multiplayer and optional arena fights, which can get fairly difficult.

I've really been enjoying my run, and there's a lot of room to customize your mech if that's what you want to do (Hundreds of parts, custom colors, and even a paint program for making your own emblem). Still, it's From, so if you don't have a guide, you'll run into a lot of confusing mechanisms, miss a lot of hidden parts, and so on. Also, there's a few missions that involve platforming (including the final mission of Armored Core 1) which is... not something the game's controls do well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I might have to pull out my PS2 because custom mecha sounds fun.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oh yeah if you like customization stuff there’s basically no game that’s ever scratched that itch as well as armored core does, huge amounts of parts in all sorts of aesthetic styles

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I might have to pull out my PS2 because custom mecha sounds fun.

It's pretty fun, yeah, especially since your designs have a major impact on how your mech plays. Tank legs can't jump except by using their (limited) hover thrusters, but they can fire shoulder mounted cannons without bracing, while reverse joint legs jump well and move fast, but have less armor and can't carry as much equipment.

You can even import designs from game to game within a generation, so if you make something really good in Armored Core 1, it can be used in Project Phantasma and Master of Arena, letting you start with a top class machine rather than starting from scratch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only game with as annoying a control scheme to wrap my mind around was Crusader. Older RPGs like Ultima Underworld and Ultima non underworld are theoretically more difficult, but they're also way slower, whereas I just kept dropping into missions in AC and getting my rear end beat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heavy Metal posted:

Armored Core: For Answer (360/PS3) is my fav, that one I recommend to anyone. Fast, easy to get into, cool stuff. Love the aesthetics of the classic PS1 games too.

also had the best music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6vg4jMvhY

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1549234983226601472?s=20&t=n3mtna93MpUd3zvOhpjkyg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bellri thinks wearing a red jacket means he can do red comet kicks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Bellri thinks wearing a red jacket means he can do red comet kicks.

If he's wrong then it's only cause Char's kicks are usually pretty useless in reality and Bellri's kick had a noticeable effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bellri regularly does incredibly cool physical stuff with his robot and I'm glad the movies are making him do it even more.