Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Not pissing me off, one of the very few examples of a feature request that a support tech said they'd definitely submit resulted in a change being made to a product:

I've no idea how this headset (Poly Voyager) shipped defaulting to answering a call when it was lifted out the charging cradle, with no option to not do that.

I mean I'm not against your right to have this ability or wish to have it added to the product, but every time I lift my headset out of the cradle it's because I want to answer a call. (Also, my headset already had the ability to disable that feature so it's extra special that yours, from theoretically the same company, did not). So I guess I don't understand why you would want that, but I'm also not one of those people that wears their headset on their ear all day long like an 80s "go for Tony!" Wall Street rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Plantronics DECT one I had before had it as an option, the new Poly branded one didn't. It's mainly done as a courtesy to people calling me so they don't have to hear a couple seconds of a headset being put on while saying "hello?" and not getting an answer.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

The Plantronics DECT one I had before had it as an option, the new Poly branded one didn't. It's mainly done as a courtesy to people calling me so they don't have to hear a couple seconds of a headset being put on while saying "hello?" and not getting an answer.

Friendo, I don't meant to be rude in case you have dexterity issues but uh, it doesn't take me more than a second to put on my headset and that's with the ear loop rather than over the head which I imagine would be even easier. Though that said, the headset circuitry takes the same exact second to properly link up and open the line through the electronic handset lifter dongle (or the USB dongle on my other headset), so maybe that's why it's never been an issue for me? Maybe the newer headset picks up faster - mine is 7-8 years old at this point. I've actually thought of upgrading, so this is an interesting question for me - how quickly does your headset establish the connection and is this in USB mode (presumably without dongle), Bluetooth, or what?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's Bluetooth to its own dongle (I'm never doing Bluetooth audio on Windows) and the audio channel is open and the signal sent to the softphone to answer the call within half a second of the headset realising it's being answered - I hear the double beep playing out the earpiece the moment it leaves the base. It was never a huge problem, it's just my personal preference that I'd like the call to stay "ringing" until I tap the button on the side, and now that's an option.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

It's Bluetooth to its own dongle (I'm never doing Bluetooth audio on Windows) and the audio channel is open and the signal sent to the softphone to answer the call within half a second of the headset realising it's being answered - I hear the double beep playing out the earpiece the moment it leaves the base. It was never a huge problem, it's just my personal preference that I'd like the call to stay "ringing" until I tap the button on the side, and now that's an option.

Got it, makes sense. Well at least now all your base options belong to you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

At the very least I recommend naming and shaming in this thread.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

At the very least I recommend naming and shaming in this thread.

CROSSING THE STREAMS

edit: I mean it fits in this thread too and should be given visibility in all threads but it was very confusing for a minute until I realized it was replying to the other thread

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Scientists that 'know Python' and any MS Access user are the best.

"Bob, this doesn't work...can you look"

WHAT IN THE gently caress DID YOU DO

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

CROSSING THE STREAMS

edit: I mean it fits in this thread too and should be given visibility in all threads but it was very confusing for a minute until I realized it was replying to the other thread

lol, poo poo

I can't keep them straight anymore :(

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

My professional opinion is that we need a fat priest and a skinny priest, enough holy water to completely submerge the computer, and a bundle of thistle and Holly with which to beat the blasphemer until he repents his wicked ways.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

lol, poo poo

I can't keep them straight anymore :(

noooo you'll start the derail about whether to merge them and I like having three

quick someone talk about a speculum bucket that'll disrupt it

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Don't worry, scientists have realized this is an issue and expect to have a solution in ten years.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

When I was at the dept of parks, I was constantly getting called over to the biological sciences department to "fix code" only to discover the "code" was some giant mental berk of an excel spreadsheet with the most horrifying nested-hell macros imaginable. VB created a monster. Half the time I'd just take the thing and reimplement the loving thing in an anaconda notepad because figuring out how he made this hell based nightmare was not worth the shortened life expectency of chronic alcoholism.

The old beards would go "Hey, at least it aint Fortran", and its like no my dude, Fortran might be a bad language but at least it has a built in idiot filter called "operate a command line compiler on a hosed up old mainframe" , there is no low bar for spreadsheets, only a growing mastery of unleashing fevered nightmares upon IT support.

And now I'm back in the soil science field and Dept of Parks people are emailing me hosed up spreadsheets. God help me. Also now GIS stuff like ArcGIS and QGIS you can put formulas in maps, so its basically Excell but a map. FML.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 14, 2022

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Our biggest logistical site runs on an Access that imports data from Cognos and our ERP. One of our other companies is just finishing a SCADA upgrade in which an Access 2003 apparently plays a critical role.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that doesn’t piss me off, my company gives everyone a bonus PTO day to use for volunteering. Gonna go help with the playground rebuild project at the main town park today, beats getting dragged into PI planning meetings.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You always gotta have that one fuckin user who tries to self diagnose poo poo and tell you how to fix it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I have a customer who wants literally every aspect of her computer ported to a brand new one, down to the location of her desktop shortcuts and her printers at 3 different locations. Annoying already, but *now* she’s unwilling to give it up for this process during the work week and wants me to meet with her an hour away on Saturday morning and to meet her again an hour away on Sunday in the evening. Why no, I am not on call this weekend. My manager is cced on this request so I’m going to not respond to it until my manager tries to justify me doing it at all. Email came in 16 hours ago but I’ll wait.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're probably not insured to meet employees at random places either, which might be the quickest way to get out of this BS. What happens if you go to do work at this random offsite location and pick up an injury? You were working, your employer is liable.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

codo27 posted:

You always gotta have that one fuckin user who tries to self diagnose poo poo and tell you how to fix it.

As a developer with semi-technical managers, I know this feeling exactly. :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm just glad that 90% of these guys are using Jupyter Notebooks and RStudio

The guys that are still using command line poo poo...oh buddy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a big rush a ways back of everyone wanting to run a jupyter server/hub on every single system they had access to. It was months of "nope, we're not supporting this, but if you can figure out how to run it out of your home area have fun."

It is a neat piece of collaboration software but I do NOT want to be the one that janitors it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I understand that you have an urgent requirement, and are working to strict deadlines, but it doesn't mean I can get you 20 access points and some PoE switches any sooner than a few months.

I have to explain at least twice a week that I can't materialize video conference equipment, no matter how much people want it.
Then I get asked what I'm doing to get more ordered. I'm doing nothing about it because a bunch of managers wanted all our purchasing to go through certain people, and here we are.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

I have to explain at least twice a week that I can't materialize video conference equipment, no matter how much people want it.
Then I get asked what I'm doing to get more ordered. I'm doing nothing about it because a bunch of managers wanted all our purchasing to go through certain people, and here we are.

My work site instituted a sudden :absolutely no personal devices in the plant, we'll give everyone who needs one a company phone' before checking with IT and getting a time line on getting say, 150 iPhones provisioned.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every time it happens you can have a follow up that goes like this
"Do you want to order some equipment to hold in stock so that urgent requests can be met in future?"
"No"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

"Do you want to order some equipment to hold in stock so that urgent requests can be met in future?"
"No"

That doesn't sound very lean, mister!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

"No"

The guy who says "No" in this conversation at my org will also immediately follow by pulling out his phone, going to bestbuy.com, searching for god knows what, then holds it up and asks "Will this work? I'll order it now!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J posted:

The guy who says "No" in this conversation at my org will also immediately follow by pulling out his phone, going to bestbuy.com, searching for god knows what, then holds it up and asks "Will this work? I'll order it now!"

ask me about explaining why you can't join a Windows 7 home PC you bought at Walmart to our domain.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

ask me about explaining why you can't join a Windows 7 home PC you bought at Walmart to our domain.

oh man
when I did small business consulting I had that conversation at least twice a week

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"my nephew is good with computers and we can get all this stuff from wal-mart" was the point at which i'd wish a physician all the best and leave

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

"No"

Everytime we've asked about keeping backstock and spares we've been told no, its a waste of money to have equipment sitting around.
Soon enough "what do you mean we have no extra APs, this site goes live in 2 weeks!"

This applies to massively important equipment as well.

Looks like Webex is down, can't wait to get calls about that.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 14, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Midnight, three days into a pentest.

quote:

Hey do you want the URL of the webapp we want tested now?
WTF was in the spreadsheet of domains and IP addresses you gave me on Friday?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"my nephew is good with computers and we can get all this stuff from wal-mart" was the point at which i'd wish a physician all the best and leave

I did a lot of phone systems (don't work on phone systems) for realtors (don't work for realtors) and they all had an accountant that just handled IT that had just hubs and routers and switches stacked up everywhere with numerous overlapping 192.168.0.0/24 subnets with quadruple NAT in some places and then people would bring in their own WAP and wireless printers and plug them making even more overlapping 192.168.0.0/24 subnets. Then all the WAP's have the same SSID but different passphrases.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

love to be working on something that the vendor documentation says is possible but gives no examples of how, and no-one on the internet appears to have tried it either. no blogs, no stack overflow, nothing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Cisco had a now dead product Cisco Cloud Center that was just like that, it was an obtuse piece of poo poo with the worst documentation ever (assuming it even existed, usually it didn’t). The experience taught me that not being able to find that info means no one is using it, which means it’s also most likely a huge turd

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Cisco had a now dead product Cisco Cloud Center that was just like that, it was an obtuse piece of poo poo with the worst documentation ever (assuming it even existed, usually it didn’t). The experience taught me that not being able to find that info means no one is using it, which means it’s also most likely a huge turd

i'm having this problem with features of azure app service

so jokes on me I guess

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
What are you trying to do? I don’t have PMs but I’ve done a lot of app Service.

I got policy analytics working on azure firewalls the other day despite Microsoft documenting gently caress all about it and not mentioning you need several preview features enabled and the product group to hand-enable certain new log types on the firewalls

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm setting up azuread auth through terraform and one of the arguments is just not working

I'm logged in to work anymore and have a long weekend planned so I'm sure I'll figure it out in 5 minutes on tuesday

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It’s probably not this but I had issues with some poo poo that was still using AAD graph which is being deprecated like right meow, some module from a vendor was using old versions of AAD provider and couldn’t register new AAD graph SPNs

Edit: this was also on a brand new lab I’d spun up, not sure if every tenant is blocked from adding new AAD graph permissions to app registrations or not

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we've migrated our modules for the new azuread a couple months-ish ago

right before they delayed shutting down the ad graph

I suspect at least part of the problem is the absolute poo poo show that the azurerm 3 release has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I was gonna say, maybe something downstream in TF or the app Service API. Frankly I’ve never seen anyone use AAD auth with app services so I’m entirely unsure what the mechanisms are there. Sounds annoying

AzureRM 3 has been quite bad. I wish my cloud agents would stop exploding from running out of memory