Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Everyone links Tony's tweets about people half recognizing him and laughs, but if you ever actually look at his twitter feed its 99% lovely brand deals he's advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
An open world creative skating game where the (admittedly claimed) only cost is for customizing your character? Actually sounds like a lot of fun to me.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I would never pay money for a skating game, so the fact that it's free will make me at least try it out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Skater battle royale

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I generally assume the celeb stuff is someone's financial manager being like "yo this NFT stuff is blowing up" and them being like "yeah sure"
every single celebrity that suddenly started pushing NFT poo poo on their socials was signed with the same agency. very likely that, like, one guy is responsible

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't care about live service and cosmetics as long as the physics are good and the world is good. In fact I'll be happy it saved me 60 dollars.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

Everyone links Tony's tweets about people half recognizing him and laughs, but if you ever actually look at his twitter feed its 99% lovely brand deals he's advertising.
yeah, tony hawks too much stuff

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

priznat posted:

Skater battle royale

Rocket league now has a battle royal mode. We have strayed too far from gods light.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My policy on f2p games is that if it’s good I’ll buy one(1) skin as a little tip to the developers. Haven’t found a f2p game that I really like though

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I don't assume all live service games are bad because Forza Horizon 5 is a really good version of it. That being said PGG are good devs and I don't trust ea at all so we'll see.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I already went on my rant that games like SoT and Flight Sim are way better for being live service so I won't rehash that but all you have to do is not buy cosmetic skins lol. Just don't buy the supreme hoody in Skate and you'll (probably) get a good game for free.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I was playing Powerwash Simulator and I gave my missus the controller because she wanted to try it out, but now she doesn't want to give me back the controller.

Also, the game wastes a lot of water.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

i live and breathe cosmetics. the f2p model is an act of aggression

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

F2P sounds like a good fit for this somewhat niche genre. I say niche and know THPS and Skate were popular back in their day, but the landscape has changed so much.

There’s also rumors that Respawn is working on a new singleplayer Titanfall Apex Legends game. Titanfall as a brand is probably dead at this point but at least it lives on.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 14, 2022

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

hatty posted:

My policy on f2p games is that if it’s good I’ll buy one(1) skin as a little tip to the developers. Haven’t found a f2p game that I really like though

I liked Destiny 2, but I bought it when it still cost money. Truth be told, I also bought three dlc packs for the game. It's a good game even though it's F2P with Battle Pass and all that crap.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ErrEff posted:

F2P sounds like a good fit for this somewhat niche genre. I say niche and know THPS and Skate were popular back in their day, but the landscape has changed so much.

live service is the worst part.
I can still play any of the previous Skate games with my XSX, but I probably can't play this one after they pull the plug on the servers.

Also I mostly want to play in single-player and offline.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah out of all three Skate games I think I only ever touched online twice.

Would much rather pay $60 for Sk4te and tool around in my own skater boi world.

Oh well at least SkaterXL exists.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OlliOlli is the one true skateboarding series

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Beastie posted:

Yeah out of all three Skate games I think I only ever touched online twice.

Would much rather pay $60 for Sk4te and tool around in my own skater boi world.

They mention in the article that there will be multiplayer areas, so it sounds like single player is still in there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Powerwash sim battle royale where you parachute in armed with just a rag and spraybottle

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

Also, the game wastes a lot of water.

If the world runs out of fresh water because of a video game I want be surprised, but I will be very disappointed in video games.

You were meant to make the world better!!! ...um probably, was said at least once.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

adhuin posted:

live service is the worst part.
I can still play any of the previous Skate games with my XSX, but I probably can't play this one after they pull the plug on the servers.

Also I mostly want to play in single-player and offline.

So my knee jerk here is that you don't usually want to go F2P with niche audiences, but that's not necessarily true.

This is probably going to have a lot of cosmetics and brands and promotional stuff to put lifestyle sk8r brands in front of players, and the ensure they get the best deals there, F2P maximizes their audience.

Beyond that, they're probably expecting to monetize these brand aware players repeatedly over a long time. Think closer to train/flight sim/GT DLC than Apex.

Anyway that's my guess.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did Destiny 2 ever move beyond reskinning the same handful of enemies over and over?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

I have 20 games installed on my series x and have 400+ gigs free what in tarnation of a mess is your drive.

Can add up pretty loving fast even just sticking to first party titles. Here's a small selection of major titles:

Forza Horizon 5 - 100 gigs
Gears 5 - 105 gigs
Halo Infinite - 54 gigs
Hitman 3 - 71 gigs
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 114 gigs for the base game but all the world updates take up additional space, I think it's up to like 50 gigs now

That's 500 gigs right there for 5 games (although you could be cheeky and say Hitman 3 is 3 games).

Sea of Thieves is over 70 gigs on Xbox One X and Xbox Series X, but this game lets you play from a traditional USB external (the others I listed don't).

With the smaller space a few of these games take up, if you removed MS Flight Sim (it's not shrunk on Series S) I THINK you'd have just enough space for those games I listed but that's it, you wouldn't be able to install any more games except for maybe some smaller ones.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hitman 3 is not just three games, it's also by far the best part of that list

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I went on a purge of games I probably won't play so now I have a mere 102 games installed on my series s

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
New details on the new Skate:
- it’s called Skate

Oh :effort:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Beastie posted:

Skater XL was a bitter disappointment the way they released it at 1.0. Have they done anything to improve the janky physics or ugly rear end levels since then?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

univbee posted:

Can add up pretty loving fast even just sticking to first party titles. Here's a small selection of major titles:

Forza Horizon 5 - 100 gigs
Gears 5 - 105 gigs
Halo Infinite - 54 gigs
Hitman 3 - 71 gigs
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 114 gigs for the base game but all the world updates take up additional space, I think it's up to like 50 gigs now

That's 500 gigs right there for 5 games (although you could be cheeky and say Hitman 3 is 3 games).

Sea of Thieves is over 70 gigs on Xbox One X and Xbox Series X, but this game lets you play from a traditional USB external (the others I listed don't).

With the smaller space a few of these games take up, if you removed MS Flight Sim (it's not shrunk on Series S) I THINK you'd have just enough space for those games I listed but that's it, you wouldn't be able to install any more games except for maybe some smaller ones.

If you have a game that runs mainly online like sea of thieves, you should try playing it over xcloud instead of installing it. I just reinstalled and then uninstalled SoT from my Xbox One x because xcloud looks and runs better on my bone than local. Plus load times are really good, especially for something like Halo infinite, You're waiting for people to join, and latency is great too, of course ymmv. Also currently playing through Yakuza 0 via xcloud.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 15, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Forza 5 still doesn't work on the PC gamepass app for me. Has anyone that was having troubles with this found a fix that works yet? Or has anyone even gotten it to work?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

bushisms.txt posted:

If you have a game that runs mainly online like sea of thieves, you should try playing it over xcloud instead of installing it. I just reinstalled and then uninstalled SoT from my Xbox One x because xcloud looks and runs better on my bone than local. Plus load times are really good, especially for something like Halo infinite, You're waiting for people to join, and latency is great too, of course ymmv. Also currently playing through Yakuza 0 via xcloud.

That's one of odd things about online games and xCloud. You have the increased input and display latency, but because a lot of games are just communicating with each other within a data center, you can see massive improvements in network latency. So the game will feel different but potentially can have better end to end latency than playing it locally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

If you have a game that runs mainly online like sea of thieves, you should try playing it over xcloud

gross

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
sea of thieves I could see playing over xcloud maybe but Halo Infinite? that's hosed up op

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

barnold posted:

sea of thieves I could see playing over xcloud maybe but Halo Infinite? that's hosed up op

You'd be surprised. Like lifespan said, my ping was low, so any latency that I may have felt was canceled out by being at the data center that everybody else was connecting to. I feel like they were specifically working to make infinite play with xcloud because it feels really good. It never felt like it was not catching my inputs in time and Im still able to win at my normal rate, not claiming the be good at Halo, but supposed cloud issues were never a problem. Switching to phone/wifi you notice but it's still manageable for loving around in BTBs. But I'm on a private isp, so I know my experience wont be shared by the majority.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

If getting angry about an unreleased free game doesn't scream "entitled gamers" I don't know what does

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the name sucks poo poo and there will 100% be some sort of goofy battle pass system but the game itself is still gonna own imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Enjoy the game for the year and a half before they shut down servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Heh, good luck with that free game that costs you nothing, idiots.