Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

It's certainly a game we had a lot of fun with, I just never see it mentioned whenever people talk about most notable fighting games or ones with really deep mechanics or whatnot.

DoA in general has always been smaller than the rest of the fighting game scene in general. I think a lot of it can be blamed on the advertising campaigns towards the start focusing on the uh.. ladies as an asset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jfzh2s3jlE

Which is a shame, as it's a fun series. But it never really got a fair shake as opposed to Tekken and such. Even Soul Cal had a fair amount more competitive play for 2 (though not so much in the newest one)

Edit: It just means that a lot of the FGC that'd be talking about this stuff never really took the game seriously. There's still some DoA tournaments today, including on DoA3. It's a small community but you can find players. Most DoA3 stuff this day is via Parsec (and I think a lot of it uses a mod now? I don't really follow that scene)

Weird Pumpkin has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DOA was DOA as a serious game as soon as it became "the game with the beach volleyball spinoff"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Genuinely enjoyed the volleyball part of that game

And the rest of it too

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
DOA volleyball rules. Its not like its Senran Kagura

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, from what I hear the DoA volleyball games are actually really quite good when it comes to the actual volleyball-ing. It's just that that tends to take a backseat in in public perception compared to the sheer concentrated horny emanating from them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The volleyball is actually shockingly good, and really fun. It's almost impossible to explain that "no I'm just playing the game for the volleyball I swear" however :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

haveblue posted:

DOA was DOA as a serious game as soon as it became "the game with the beach volleyball spinoff"

I believe that the actual developers of the last DOA fighting game outright said this. They really did want to try to pivot DOA6 into being a competitive fighting game, but were kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place in doing so; you can't be an esport while also having character designs that'd piss off sponsors and/or Twitch, but at this point that kind of character design is DOA's main appeal, thanks in no small part to Xtreme.

The worst part of that is the attempt to pivot failed so badly that DOA6 had its support cut short and apparently the plans for DOA7 got canned, so now nobody gets any DOA, not even the people that were perfectly happy with the titty ninjas!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The volleyball is actually shockingly good, and really fun. It's almost impossible to explain that "no I'm just playing the game for the volleyball I swear" however :v:

"Yeah, so it turns out when we applied the jiggle and bounce physics to an actual ball, it turned out to be really realistic. So we went with the sport that would cause the girls to jump the most." -Tecmo's programmers, I'm guessing.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
it's ok to like girls

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I just want Rig and Bass out here in Borat-style sling bikinis is that too much to ask

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Randalor posted:

"Yeah, so it turns out when we applied the jiggle and bounce physics to an actual ball, it turned out to be really realistic. So we went with the sport that would cause the girls to jump the most." -Tecmo's programmers, I'm guessing.

TBH it would be even funnier if they made the jiggle and bounce physics for the boobs first and then it turned out it was also really perfect for volleyball.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

christmas boots posted:

TBH it would be even funnier if they made the jiggle and bounce physics for the boobs first and then it turned out it was also really perfect for volleyball.

thats 100% what happened lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of Tomb Raider. "Whoops, I accidentally added an extra digit and doubled her boob size. Wait.. what do you mean, 'Don't fix it'?"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The fighting games had an age slider and the higher your age the more the boobs jiggled.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cleretic posted:

I believe that the actual developers of the last DOA fighting game outright said this. They really did want to try to pivot DOA6 into being a competitive fighting game, but were kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place in doing so; you can't be an esport while also having character designs that'd piss off sponsors and/or Twitch, but at this point that kind of character design is DOA's main appeal, thanks in no small part to Xtreme.

The worst part of that is the attempt to pivot failed so badly that DOA6 had its support cut short and apparently the plans for DOA7 got canned, so now nobody gets any DOA, not even the people that were perfectly happy with the titty ninjas!

DOA6 is also the game where they charged real world money, so you could buy in game money to change your character's hair color. That's not egregious, but hair colors were not a one time purchase. Meaning that if you wanted to change your hair color from normal brown to pink, it cost $1. And if you want to go back to that same shade of original brown again, that was another $1

They did walk that back pretty quickly, and ended up refunding everyone that bought the fun bux, so hopefully someone learned something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOA6 has like 7 season passes.

Buying everything costs $900.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

As much as I like titties, I want to mention a couple of things about Cyberpunk 2077.

Firstly, a quest giver is called Dennis Cranmer, which I assume is a reference to the Witcher character of the same name, though I can't see any parallel in his quest or whatever.

And I just found out that the in-game band called Samurai is actually real life band Refused, no wonder I kind of dig a lot of the music

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

DOA6 has like 7 season passes.

Buying everything costs $900.
That really started with the F2P release of DoA5, but yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

Dead or Alive 3 was not a particularly amazing fighting game, but it did give you the ability to knock people around the environment, and the level design reflected this. My buddies and I found it endlessly entertaining to kick someone out a window and watch them fly out, fall down through a huge neon sign, and splat onto the pavement. You could also punch your opponent off a cliff, slam them into walls, toss them into electrical grids, etc. It ruled.

Def Jam: Fight For NY was also great for this. You could throw people off building, into jukeboxes and onto subway tracks. If there was an audience they were also part of the fight. Depending of good of a show you put on they would either give you weapons or grab you so that your opponent could beat you up.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't remember off the top of my head but there was one Xbox 360 Def Jam game that looked so fuckin cool, like everything has this bouncy 1920's steamboat willy vibe where everything is vibrating or bouncing to the beat, from hydrants in the foreground to the rooftops of buildings in the distance popping up once the floors lit up entirely from the ground floor. And I think if you used a super the environment went even more nuts. Fighting arenas are stale, probably for good reason I guess

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

By all accounts it was a pretty bad game and killed the franchise.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The early 00's were certainly a time.

verbal enema posted:

thats 100% what happened lol
Now that's what I call a hard working kind of horny!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alhazred posted:

By all accounts it was a pretty bad game and killed the franchise.

Yeah Def Jam Icon stripped out everything people liked about Fight for New York and replaced it with... nothing that anyone actually wanted as far as I could tell. I loved FfNY so I was disappointed in advance but I still gave Icon a shot and could not get into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0BkTCs6hJQ

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Def Jam Icon was one of those situations where every decision made was the wrong one. The What Happened video linked above is a great exploration of it.

The idea of stages that moved with the beat of the song was probably one of its better ideas, but ultimately one trapped in entirely the wrong game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

Def Jam: Fight For NY was also great for this. You could throw people off building, into jukeboxes and onto subway tracks. If there was an audience they were also part of the fight. Depending of good of a show you put on they would either give you weapons or grab you so that your opponent could beat you up.

Wasn't Def Jam based on the engine for Thrill Kill? Kinda funny how that game ended up never coming out but was a perfectly solid foundation for games that did.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Def Jam was built upon the engine of those AKI wrestling games, wasn't it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't Def Jam based on the engine for Thrill Kill? Kinda funny how that game ended up never coming out but was a perfectly solid foundation for games that did.

That was the Wu-Tang fighting game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of klonoa 2's background tracks has the title character contributing vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uipkZOgPi0c

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I felt like an old ps1 game so I dug out 40 Winks. I'd forgotten how much charm there is in that game. Only beat the first level so far though because I'm tired from work. The mother in the opening FMV is amazing though, how the gently caress she came up with the idea of the evil Winks being called "Hoodwinks" is.... well it's impressive wordplay from a tired single mom just trying to get her kids to sleep. Also the villain's plan is adorable. "If I can't get any sleep, NEITHER CAN ANYONE ELSE!" Including his more well-adjusted minion, a Teddybear who's name is "Threadbear" which is adorable. Nitecap has such a bitchy relationship with him given that Threadbear can actually get to sleep, deliberately waking him and being all "Oh, I'm sorry, did I wake you? :shobon:" I never got very far into this game so maybe this time I'll actually beat it. :P

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Oxxidation posted:

one of klonoa 2's background tracks has the title character contributing vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uipkZOgPi0c

this poo poo's MY JAM

k2 still one of the best 'this looks fun' blockbuster rentals i ever did as a young teen

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

OutOfPrint posted:

Hitman 2 has an achievement called Are Friends Electric?

I found that the same time I started getting into Gary Numan, so if course that's the first kill I made in that guy.

One of the first Achievements in Broken Sword 5 is unlocked by discovering that a security system has been sabotaged. It’s called, “Oh my God it’s a mirage”.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
My friend is currently playing Suzerain, where you are a governor (or something?) who is responsible for turning your beleaguered country around. One day, he just posted this snippet from his game:

quote:

The Issue

Upon allowing guinea pigs to vote, it has come to light that elements in society are training large teams of them to vote for specific candidates and causes. With hordes of guinea pigs forming an orderly line outside a nearby polling station, you decide to listen to a group of fervent bystanders.

The Debate

“Take a good, hard look at what we have become,” declares Rory Jamieson, who, along with his friends and family, have supported the same political party for decades. “Are you telling me it’s a coincidence that their voting patterns are virtually identical? That they all willingly would vote against their own interest, like supporting candidates deep in the pockets of the agricultural-industrial complex? I’m telling you, animal-whispering yahoos are allowed to vote tens, even hundreds, of times through their ‘associates’. It’s unfair, and it’s voter fraud. Clearly, we need to forbid guinea pigs from voting.”

“Don’t say that around Mr. Puffles,” lectures Mama Powers, covering her pet’s ears with a crochet scarf. “If guinea pigs are being manipulated to vote a certain way, we need to find and crack down on those trying to abuse the system. In addition, you should install an unbiased program to teach guinea pigs how to resist this kind of conditioning, allowing them to vote freely, of their own mind.”

“With guinea pigs this was bound to happen,” whispers Milo Cesar in a Wezeltonian accent, while asserting his dominance over Mr. Puffles. “They are intelligent, yes, but crave leadership. It is only natural that they seek guidance. The real question is, who is best fitted to guide them? Perhaps it is you? My rates are very reasonable, and with discipline and affection - in that order - I will make you the leader of the greatest pack Glendahar has ever seen.”

tl;dr guinea pigs are a problem because they're being trained to stuff votes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pooncha posted:

My friend is currently playing Suzerain, where you are a governor (or something?) who is responsible for turning your beleaguered country around. One day, he just posted this snippet from his game:

that game popped up on my "games your friends are playing on steam" list and i was like huh wonder what that is

now i'm REALLY curious

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
That reads more like a Nationstates decision than anything I remember from Suzerain

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pooncha posted:

"Guinea pigs can no longer be trained to stuff votes." sounds like the kind of thing that you'd see on The Strange Log

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Hattie Masters posted:

That reads more like a Nationstates decision than anything I remember from Suzerain

I'm pretty sure it IS a nationstates decision

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Doublechecked and it is indeed Nationstates, sorry for the error! That's what happens when you're listening in on your discord talking about two games at once. :sweatdrop:

edit: Another friend did have something to say about Suzerain:

Friend 1 posted:

there was a big festival about to happen and the mayor of the city involved personally invited someone to do the opening speech... but my wife wanted me to use my power to replace him with her so she could give a womens rights speech. and while i totally support the cause i dont think its right to be making that change last minute after other people have got it all planned. its not really my place to do that right? couldnt i just arrange a seperate thing or get her a slot to speak after the other guy or something?!

Pooncha has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Jul 16, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pooncha posted:

Doublechecked and it is indeed Nationstates, sorry for the error! That's what happens when you're listening in on your discord talking about two games at once. :sweatdrop:

edit: Another friend did have something to say about Suzerain:

lmao yeah, Suzerain teaches you pretty quick the difference between theory and practice and tests just how much you're willing to hold to your ideals.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm midway through the water levels in 40 Winks, just had to replay the sunken ship level to find two missing boss keys. I do love that it's not just "mindless beat the level" like a lot of platformers, the Winks that you rescue are the main objective, and the game hand holds you pretty strongly finding them, but the boss keys are far more well hidden and easy to miss which keeps things challenging enough to be engaging.

Also Nitecap and Threadbear's relationship is adorable, after the first boss Nitecap repairs Threadbear, gives him a pep talk instead of making GBS threads on him for failing and asks him what style of patch he wants to hold his injury together, which is a very cute scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm midway through the water levels in 40 Winks, just had to replay the sunken ship level to find two missing boss keys. I do love that it's not just "mindless beat the level" like a lot of platformers, the Winks that you rescue are the main objective, and the game hand holds you pretty strongly finding them, but the boss keys are far more well hidden and easy to miss which keeps things challenging enough to be engaging.

Also Nitecap and Threadbear's relationship is adorable, after the first boss Nitecap repairs Threadbear, gives him a pep talk instead of making GBS threads on him for failing and asks him what style of patch he wants to hold his injury together, which is a very cute scene.

Quick question. Are you emulating all these older games, or playing on original hardware?

Either way, hearing you talk about first experience is really fun!