Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Duck and Cover posted:

I hadn't realized it ceases being exploitation if it's at all related to video games. I'm so stupid how could I not figure that out!

i think its unfair to call it exploitation in regards to videogames where there are much more important and necessary things in life that people are being exploited over but continue campaigning for that parking spot up with the lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the real enemy here is capitalism,

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Heck I just dropped 20 bucks on Fortnite the other day so I could run around as a goofy looking fishman, among a few other things. I only debated the purchase for a moment, thought about how I had spent that exact amount out at lunch that day and that was twenty bucks I was going to poo poo out and would be gone forever, and by comparison a Fishman and WWII bomber glider would be around for years. Pretty easy call to make for a filthy capitalist shithead like myself!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

the real enemy here is capitalism,

its actually financial irresponsibility

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you've spent a single cent on a game when you haven't secured your fiscal future through long term investments then you need to take a serious look into the mirror and ask yourself why you think you can justify throwing away your future for such paltry and temporary pleasures

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 14, 2022

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i think its unfair to call it exploitation in regards to videogames where there are much more important and necessary things in life that people are being exploited over but continue campaigning for that parking spot up with the lord

I care more about people than I do about my ability to get free games. Well that and the fact that the games are shittier because of it. It has nothing to loving do with religion and your attempt to equate my use of morality with is pathetic. You're just selfish. I know, we all know that, and I suspect you know it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Gaius Marius posted:

If you've spent a single cent on a game when you haven't secured your fiscal future through long term investments then you need to take a serious look into the mirror and ask yourself why you think you can justify throwing away your future for such paltry and temporary pleasures

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

you're bumming me out

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Turns out my future is a paltry and temporary pleasure as well, so it all evens out.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol, I gotta say, I don't take a look at the state of the world around me and think "what's important is planning for 30+ years from now."

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Duck and Cover posted:

I care more about people than I do about my ability to get free games. Well that and the fact that the games are shittier because of it. It has nothing to loving do with religion and your attempt to equate my use of morality with is pathetic. You're just selfish. I know, we all know that, and I suspect you know it.

yeah sorry d&c i've been in a poo poo mood all week and kinda argumentative, it just amused me a bit because i want the skating game to be fun, namaste

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wish this thread was a game run by a pay2win developer so I could figure out how much I need to spend to get you all to shut the gently caress up

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I rarely justify micro transactions even with a secured fiscal future. I wanna play dress up but they're so slimy and pretty much never reasonably priced.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yeah sorry d&c i've been in a poo poo mood all week and kinda argumentative, it just amused me a bit because i want the skating game to be fun, namaste

I too want games to be fun and find it frustrating with I see people working against that. As someone said earlier capitalism is the problem. It isn't about making a fun game that happens to be profitable it's about making a profitable game that is profitable, no more profitable, no even more profitable which just sucks. I just want games and the companies that make them to not suck. I like competitive (not as in esports but as in not coop) multiplayer games, which needs people playing them, which means f2p/broad appeal. It just sucks. It's nice that games are cheaper for those who can't afford them but I don't really like that they prey on those who just can't help buying loot boxes/skins whatever.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 14, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Well now the thread is in that post-slapfight stage where nobody really wants to post so let me just go ahead and say the Witcher 3 is bad.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Well now the thread is in that post-slapfight stage where nobody really wants to post so let me just go ahead and say the Witcher 3 is bad.

It's a great game. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the Witcher 3 is the game that Bethesda wished they could make before they gave up and started releasing empty sandboxes for modders to finish

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
i got sick of everybody blah blah-ing about everything and then i got sick of pausing every 10 seconds to dip my balls in ogre juice and then i got sick of ballerina twirling through combat while my rinky dinky fireballs do jackshit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it was a fun game but the dialogue was very very bad

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

kntfkr posted:

It's that having to win by 2 that fucks me up. I can only play in short bursts & the game is perfectly built for save scumming. I'm not complaining.

Ah right. I guess if you're only playing a few games and not getting through a match it makes more sense. It's a great game! The Mario golf on GBC is also well worth playing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gaius Marius posted:

How rotted is your brain that you not only acquiesce to being taken advantage of monetarily but actively fight to be abused. Saying there are bigger problems in the world is some dumb false equivalence bullshit and you know it. Try not being a consumerist whore for five minutes

try logging off for five minutes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

"I hAveNt SpeNt A cEnT aNd I'm HaViNg A bLasT!!!!!"

:hmmyes:
I too love piracy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

this is the worst videogame opinion I've ever read

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I can't see how it makes game worse if the best game to ever exist, rocket league, was made by the lord's of monetization.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I love this Utopian idealistic future people think we are building towards where human beings will have learned not to exploit and benefit from the actions of others, you sure are getting ahead of everyone else, i'm sure there is a parking spot in heaven with your name on it

Literally "it won't deliver a utopia therefore there's no point in trying to protect vulnerable people from predators"

This is what DOTA brain rot looks like

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'd rather park right by the building in hell than have to take the shuttle bus in heaven

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

As a play-to-earn games guy I consider the G Fuel coursing through my veins an investment.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I want to hire a bunch of poor people to play infantry online with me

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If skate was full price I probably wouldn't bother unlocked all the cosmetic bullshit anyway, so giving it to me for free and then just letting me ignore the cosmetic bullshit and saving 60 bucks is totally fine by me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have very simple guidelines for paid content. If it's mechanical and a microtransaction, like you want a new character class and the only way to get it is pay $5? Bad game, won't play it.

If there's mechanical stuff in the form of an expansion, or larger bundle, and I feel that the value is what I would have paid for in ye olde days, then yeah I'll get it.

If a game sells cosmetics for two bucks or whatever a piece but they are just cosmetics, and are in addition to options already freely given, I honestly forget they exist.

I'll use Destiny 2 as an example. While not happy at the situation of expansions right now (make the oldest one always free before you vault it geez) the store is totally fine. You have expansions and season passes for mechanical content. That's it. Season passes give me some new stuff that entertains me for the three months or so they're around, and that's worth $10 to me. Expansions give a lot of content.

The rest of the store is cosmetics. And I have no interest in them. Unless they're in the free currency section, which rotates every week and I have somehow accrued more of that currency than there are items that interest me. So I've only bought expansions and season passes, but also sometimes get an orb in a boat for free as well.

Conversely any game I enter that immediately tells me to buy things with real money to skip the game can gently caress right off. Oh, you want me to buy instant level ups and high end gear? That means avoiding the game itself, and that tells me a lot about how enjoyable it's gonna be. Hard pass.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

destiny 2 is a bad game though

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i respect the people who post about hating micro-transactions, they've made the choice that putting little amounts of money regularly into games is a horrible business practice that will bleed them dry and prevent them saving for a mortgage but hey they manage to get so much enjoyment from paying full price for generic garbage like horizon and and days gone lmao

I don't mind paying for things. I don't like playing games that are designed so that I will want to pay for things in them. Not because I don't want to pay the money, but because paying money for things in a game is not satisfying to me. So any compromise in the game to make me want to pay is going to make the game worse until I pay, and then paying is going to leave the activity feeling empty. So the entire game is less than otherwise. The main reason I hated Diablo 3 at release was because grinding gold to buy items off the AH was more efficient than farming the items themselves, but grinding gold to buy poo poo felt way less satisfying than farming drops directly. But at least there I made the gold in-game, in FTP the cash comes from outside the game which makes it even more unsatisfying to buy poo poo with it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like it when video games sell cosmetics for $2 because it’s like giving a tip to the artist responsible for it.

The problem is when they make non-paid stuff ugly as gently caress by comparison. Ideally you’d have an entire, fully fleshed our game with ample, ample cosmetics. And then they have a team of artists continuing to make special cosmetics for small amounts of money, which helps bankroll “real” game development.

But then again I’ve subscribed to artists on Patreon. One of them even gave me a free commission of something because I sent them a really nice message and told them they were good at art. I’d love an official patreon where I can get Final Fantasy artwork done every month. Especially Akihiko Yoshida, and of course Amano.

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 15, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

destiny 2 is a bad game though

I enjoy it. So yes, you are right. I play like three games basically, because my time for games amounts to maybe six hours a week. I want games I can jump in and out of, so looter shooters are good for that.

Also been playing a game called Roboquest on gamepass, it's fun, but obviously a preview so buggy as hell. But that's a rad game as far as roguelike shooters go, very fast and zoomy, lots of fun.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Investing in "the future" (but specifically and only your own future, gently caress everyone else's) was for boomers.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm certainly looking forward to suddenly finding myself on my rear end 30 feet from my skateboard because my router choked for a few ms.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zenostein posted:

I'm certainly looking forward to suddenly finding myself on my rear end 30 feet from my skateboard because my router choked for a few ms.

I like that EA made Sim City 5 always online and pretended really hard it was a multiplayer game. Yeah yeah sure thing EA could you at least keep the servers up? No? Eh whatever not like I was dumb enough to buy it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 15, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I want to hire a bunch of poor people to play infantry online with me

You don't even have to pay me

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can’t wait until some publisher finally bites the bullet and make the ability to use the pause button DLC and a bunch of people itt start defending it with “Just play without the pause button if you don’t want to pay.”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah when I read your posts all I can think is "wow this guy really cares about people"

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I gotta say that that game really hit the spot for me back in -15 or whenever. I was intensely homesick having lived in a city for a while, and riding around seeing the wind bend the trees just brought me back home to the windy, wooded, island I grew up on. It was great, and I liked that even the random notice board quests felt like someone had written and worked on them rather than the bear rear end collecting I was used to in side quests back then. Good vibes.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah when I read your posts all I can think is "wow this guy really cares about people"

X>Y does not necessarily make X positive. Really it's convenient that my dislike of certain things aligns nicely with the exploitation of workers/consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate when games make me kill harmless animals to upgrade my poo poo. Like, I'm playing a game where everything is trying to kill me except these things and you are gonna make me kill them all so I can have better poo poo. Lame. Also it's rarely even a fun mechanic because it almost always takes no effort while also wasting my time.