Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Huxley posted:

Is just, nobody opening the sets on MODO so all the commons cost $10 each?

for stuff like commander legends they stopped releasing the full sets on modo awhile back and now only add it to the pool of what can be pulled out of random "treasure chests." so you can't buy packs of these supplementary sets at all and just have to hope you get real lucky or someone else does and you can buy it off them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Commander Legends was on modo, draftable

The fact that this isn't is just ludicrous

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Day9's back with What The Deck, and there's some fun as hell decks in here(besides the first one where he manages to draw 3 lands and then 5 4-mana cards)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1P9QAeJlUw&hd=1

my favorite deck is probably the Orvar the All-Form deck whose win condition is entirely centered around cloning Dwarven Mines to spawn Like A Billion dwarf tokens

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

Is just, nobody opening the sets on MODO so all the commons cost $10 each?

Packs are not on modo only in treasure chests

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
kamigawa collector boxes are 20% off on amazon right now, $200 is the cheapest I've seen them since release so if you missed out, I guess here ya go

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Invictus posted:

kamigawa collector boxes are 20% off on amazon right now, $200 is the cheapest I've seen them since release so if you missed out, I guess here ya go

That is specifically from the UK distributor for people's SA.

The U.S. distributor is selling them for $215. https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Kamigawa-Dynasty-Collector/dp/B09M8WPGK1?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Captain Invictus posted:

already sold out :/

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you like drafting online and are willing to brave the MTGO interface you can theoretically do it much cheaper on MTGO because the prize support is more generous and you can sell the proceeds at a nice clip because so few people draft and open the set these days

Does not apply to sets with basically zero relevant constructed cards like AFR

wei
Jul 27, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

If you like drafting online and are willing to brave the MTGO interface you can theoretically do it much cheaper on MTGO because the prize support is more generous and you can sell the proceeds at a nice clip because so few people draft and open the set these days

AFR has decent EV because it wasn't popular (ran at the same time as MH2); the red manland is 40tix. They're doing flashbacks of a bunch of formats and AFR starts today, so that should bring the price down a bit.

I do agree that MTGO is cheaper to draft in the long run than MTGA but there's an upfront cost and more variance involved. To maximize EV the best thing to do is to wait for the start of Dominaria United.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be looking into picking up singles from 2X2 since prices are already going back up. What would generally be better to go for, borderless nonfoil or foil standard frame? They tend to both be in the same general price range.

For reference, what I'm looking to pick up at the moment is:
Imperial Seal
Allosaurus Shepherd
Force of Negation
Phyrexian Altar
Concordant Crossroads
Food Chain
Consecrated Sphinx

And maybe:
Aurelia, the Warleader
Monastery Mentor
Weathered Wayfarer
Dockside Extortionist
Crucible of Worlds

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
foil always has the danger of pringles, I personally only go for Normal, Borderless Normal, or Etched Foil

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm still selling these for $195 in the SA-Mart thread (sorry for the self-promotion, but would like to save you all some money)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

HootTheOwl posted:

I bought one (1) 2X2 pack and am pleased to report that the foils?
They're flat.

My experience is that the US printed foils curve much more than Belgian or Japanese printed ones and all of 2x2 has been printed in Japan. It was the same for ultimate masters.

I know this because the cards I receive in the UK from set or draft boxes are Belgian but fat packs and I think collector boosters are US.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't the skill level on MTGO way higher then elsewhere? Seems like only hardcore grinders and people with decades of experience would be on there.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Framboise posted:

I'm going to be looking into picking up singles from 2X2 since prices are already going back up. What would generally be better to go for, borderless nonfoil or foil standard frame? They tend to both be in the same general price range.

For reference, what I'm looking to pick up at the moment is:
Imperial Seal
Allosaurus Shepherd
Force of Negation
Phyrexian Altar
Concordant Crossroads
Food Chain
Consecrated Sphinx

And maybe:
Aurelia, the Warleader
Monastery Mentor
Weathered Wayfarer
Dockside Extortionist
Crucible of Worlds

Are you asking in a monetary sense of “which of these will most increase in value?” or just generally?

For me I’d go for whatever art you tend to like the most. In this way my preference has been for the borderless cards, since so many of them are so dang pretty.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

MikeCrotch posted:

i opened 3 ledger shredders and sold each one for 50+ tickets

thats several months worth of drafts for me

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

elbkaida posted:

Isn't the skill level on MTGO way higher then elsewhere? Seems like only hardcore grinders and people with decades of experience would be on there.

im an ok drafter and in my experience you'll definitely match up against a fair of share of people who have no clue what they're doing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TotalHell posted:

Are you asking in a monetary sense of “which of these will most increase in value?” or just generally?

For me I’d go for whatever art you tend to like the most. In this way my preference has been for the borderless cards, since so many of them are so dang pretty.

That's kind of where I'm leaning at this point. Force of Negation is rough because there's not much difference between the price of a borderless nonfoil and an etched foil. Leaning borderless because yeah, a lot of the borderless cards are just that pretty.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A few months back we were talking about a Western Homelands update, ala Kamigawa

Well, there might be a Wild West themed secret lair coming up soon.. Unconfirmed leak, of course, but neat alternate frames in any case

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A few months back we were talking about a Western Homelands update, ala Kamigawa

Well, there might be a Wild West themed secret lair coming up soon.. Unconfirmed leak, of course, but neat alternate frames in any case

Saw those yesterday, still unconvinced they're real but it's a cool concept if true

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm on board. I really like the way that first alt art looks. Clash altered a bit to be more fun and renamed to make it more theme appropriate seems like a great mechanic for a wild west set imo.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Wild west plane is my favorite dumb gag from magicthecirclejerking

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

I'm on board. I really like the way that first alt art looks. Clash altered a bit to be more fun and renamed to make it more theme appropriate seems like a great mechanic for a wild west set imo.

Was that from a Great Designer Search? Someone tried to reform clash into quickdraw or something, but got eliminated before they ironed out all the bugs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Was that from a Great Designer Search? Someone tried to reform clash into quickdraw or something, but got eliminated before they ironed out all the bugs.

Oh really? That's cool, do you know which one? I probably saw it, forgot I saw it and just convinced myself I came up with it lol.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I remember it was gds 2 I think.

I'm in wizards' consumer insight firm's database so I get surveys for prospective sets and prospective characters just like that one. So I will say concepts like that with potential frame designs are real but very often won't turn in to actual showcase treatments.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Looks good all the way around, concept could have some legs if that really put effort into it. That playing card frame is sick, be a shame if we never get that somehow.

I would hope that they get rid of the "no guns" rule because the various sci-fi blasters or "handheld magic projectile weapon that isn't really a gun because magic" stuff are getting a bit silly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gun will be the strongest spell.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I mean you could definitely do a magical wild west set without guns. you might have to workshop what the gun replacement would be (wands? crossbows? finger guns?) but it's not unfathomable

extra points if they put it on ixalan

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gun will be the strongest spell.

"Gun ___" or "___ w/ gun" spells are extremely powerful and aggressively costed, but always require you to sacrifice Ammo artifact tokens as an additional cost.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

I would hope that they get rid of the "no guns" rule because the various sci-fi blasters or "handheld magic projectile weapon that isn't really a gun because magic" stuff are getting a bit silly.

I think 40k has ended the rule, but it might just be "Universes Beyond, only"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

There were a couple "realistic" looking rifles and pistols in past art, but lately it's all fantasy arc welders and spraypaint pistols

https://scryfall.com/search?q=art%3Agun&unique=art

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jaya’s got a gun
Jaya’s got a gun
Her whole world’s come undone
Now everybody’s on the run

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

edit: made with https://www.urzas.ai

edit edit:

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 14, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

:toot: Got a borderless Mana Drain :toot:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cowboy plane would be cool, but when the hell do we get post-apocalyptic Amonkhet or a proper return to Ixalan?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Pack one textured foil Emrakul lol

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Out of town for professional development workshops and I decide to visit the local game stores. One had about ten middling 2X2 cards in the counter case and the other didn't have 2X2 singles for sale at all. For the previous sets, there were at least a dozen good cards under glass on release day, both store pulls and trade-ins. This is my first premium set release since coming back to play regularly (unless you count Double Feature but lol), is this usually a thing that happens?

EDIT: I should point out that neither store opened a ton of product, despite each having 3+ draft boxes in view. At what point does it become more profitable to hold on to a high-end box than crack it? It's only a week out from release.

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 15, 2022

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I brought my Drake posted:

Out of town for professional development workshops and I decide to visit the local game stores. One had about ten middling 2X2 cards in the counter case and the other didn't have 2X2 singles for sale at all. For the previous sets, there were at least a dozen good cards under glass on release day, both store pulls and trade-ins. This is my first premium set release since coming back to play regularly (unless you count Double Feature but lol), is this usually a thing that happens?

EDIT: I should point out that neither store opened a ton of product, despite each having 3+ draft boxes in view. At what point does it become more profitable to hold on to a high-end box than crack it? It's only a week out from release.

I've heard murmuring that stores just sold sealed boxes instead of cracking them, because the margins were so good and it was easy profit.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I forget, is Amonkhet still an undead apocalypse? The curse of wandering was just like, an inherent part of the plane, and not something Bolas did to it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

A Moose posted:

I forget, is Amonkhet still an undead apocalypse? The curse of wandering was just like, an inherent part of the plane, and not something Bolas did to it right?

As far as lore goes, I believe yeah it's just mummy world now.