Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's a $1.2b hole, plus $600m of their "assets" are their CEL token which is worthless except to retire the $210m of their debt denominated in that, so $1.6b hole

and that's before snickering at the value they put on their mining operation of $720 million, which suggests they believe it has not depreciated a penny with bitcoin at a third of the price it was when they started building it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
opensea is laying off ~20% of staff

https://twitter.com/dfinzer/status/1547648521607659522

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

looks like more folks are noticing that and asking questions:

https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/1547635164552916992
https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/1547635997877252097

anyone seen mashinsky lately? is he definitely not still trying to fly to Israel or somesuch?

lol at the quoted tweet:

https://twitter.com/dcsilver/status/1547626085432455168

today is a sad day in crypto, thoughts and prayers

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
(read the statement)

Does any of these crypto exchanges/hedge funds/bank invest in anything that is not crypto-related? Everybody seems to have the same plan of "I'll get suckers to invest on us by offering good returns and I'll reinvest their coins into other crypto businesses trying to get suckers to invest on them by offering even better returns". Like, at one point someone has to- maybe by mistake- build a house or something, no?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i love saying goodbye to friends

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

because bitcoin is so dumb, watch that 20% equal like 500 people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what proven "product-market fit", you basically are both the product and the market, and also probably the customer in most cases

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

evilweasel posted:

there's a $1.2b hole, plus $600m of their "assets" are their CEL token which is worthless except to retire the $210m of their debt denominated in that, so $1.6b hole

and that's before snickering at the value they put on their mining operation of $720 million, which suggests they believe it has not depreciated a penny with bitcoin at a third of the price it was when they started building it

Their assets also include over $600 million in crypto loans, and I only skimmed it but I couldn't find much discussion on whether or not all those balances are still collectible. They also mention these are non-GAAP figures but are silent as to how they deviate from GAAP, raising even more questions about how they've valued and accounted for everything.

Also, a question for the bankruptcy guys: the last page, Exhibit M, shows total cash receipts and disbursements for the last 30 days. That clearly omits the hundreds of millions worth of crypto disbursements they've made in the last few weeks. I assume that is technically proper for purposes of this exhibit, but, uh... is it safe to assume the judge will have many questions about all their crypto loan repayments from the last month or so?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

(read the statement)

Does any of these crypto exchanges/hedge funds/bank invest in anything that is not crypto-related? Everybody seems to have the same plan of "I'll get suckers to invest on us by offering good returns and I'll reinvest their coins into other crypto businesses trying to get suckers to invest on them by offering even better returns". Like, at one point someone has to- maybe by mistake- lbuild a house or something, no?

what are you, poor? this is poor person thinking! too the moon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

trucutru posted:

(read the statement)

Does any of these crypto exchanges/hedge funds/bank invest in anything that is not crypto-related? Everybody seems to have the same plan of "I'll get suckers to invest on us by offering good returns and I'll reinvest their coins into other crypto businesses trying to get suckers to invest on them by offering even better returns". Like, at one point someone has to- maybe by mistake- build a house or something, no?

houses of cards tend to be cards all the way down. either they're true believers who wouldn't feel the need to hedge their bets, or they've always been scammers and wanted to pump it for all it was worth before it collapsed

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I did a ctrl-F for "Tether" and these are some interesting bits:

Mashinsky filing posted:

III. Celsius’ Prepetition Corporate and Capital Structure.
87. As set forth on the corporate structure chart attached as Exhibit A... The remaining 40 percent of the equity in CNL is in the form of Class A Preferred Shares, Class A1 Preferred Shares, Class B Preferred Shares, and Ordinary Shares which are owned by institutional investors, including WestCap Group LLC (“WestCap”), Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (“CDPQ”), one of Canada’s largest pension funds, Tether International Ltd., and BNK to the Future, and certain individuals.
123. In May and June 2022, Celsius made the difficult decision to forgo providing one of its lenders, Tether, issuer of USDT, a stablecoin, additional collateral and agreed to an orderly liquidation of its loan. During the market crash, Tether issued a margin call to Celsius with regard to an outstanding $841 million USDT loan. Although Celsius had always provided sufficient collateral to support its loan, and had never previously been liquidated by Tether, the Company agreed to an orderly liquidation and settlement of its loan with Tether to preserve the remaining collateral in excess of the value of the loan. This resulted in a loss of approximately $97 million.

So Tether held an equity stake in Celsius, had a near-billion USDT loan to Celsius, and was presumably holding a billion-ish in crypto from Celsius as collateral, and none of that was ever even hinted at in any of Tether's bullshit "transparency" misdirection efforts until they tried to get out in front of this bankruptcy filing with their weird panicky blogpost last week

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That's a lot of real liabilities and a fuckload of fake assets.

-Hey bob, How many of our crypto loans do you think will go south?
-Dunno, A third?
-930/3 = 310

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

haveblue posted:

houses of cards tend to be cards all the way down. either they're true believers who wouldn't feel the need to hedge their bets, or they've always been scammers and wanted to pump it for all it was worth before it collapsed

a perfectly justified post

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Weatherman posted:

needs ", lmao" to make it line up perfectly

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

lol at the quoted tweet:

https://twitter.com/dcsilver/status/1547626085432455168

today is a sad day in crypto, thoughts and prayers

airdrops and prayers

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wait a minute

Zoom, paint enhance!

:thunk:

They are using their pre-crash market cap (and that's assuming they own all the CEL and can sell them all at that price)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 14, 2022

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Re: the Celsius filing... what the hell is this?

Mashinsky posted:

94. Moreover, to support its operations, from October 2019 to February 2021, due to the lack of institutional lending available to cryptocurrency companies, the Company took out collateralized term-loans from a private lending platform. In July 2021, when Celsius attempted to repay one of its loans, it was informed for the first time that the lender was unable to return the Company’s collateral on a timely basis, resulting in Celsius having an approximately $509 million uncollateralized claim against this party after it setoff its own loan obligations to the lender. Since September 2021, the lender has made regular principal payments to the Company, and continues to make timely payments that are currently in excess of $5 million per month. The aggregate principal owed to the Company stands at approximately $439 million, consisting of $361 million in USD and 3,765 BTC, the latter worth approximately $78 million.

So Celsius took out overcollateralized secured loans from a "private lending platform", posted their collateral... and then their lender lost the collateral, such that the lender now owed Celsius a half a billion dollars? And that "lender" still owes them $439 million?? Am I reading this poo poo correctly?

edit:

trucutru posted:

Wait a minute

:thunk:

They are using their pre-crash market cap.
lol, lmao

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2022

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Weatherman posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
what is more perfectly justified

- that post?

or

- everything that mark karpeles did?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

So Celsius took out overcollateralized secured loans from a "private lending platform", posted their collateral... and then their lender lost the collateral, such that the lender now owed Celsius a half a billion dollars? And that "lender" still owes them $439 million?? Am I reading this poo poo correctly?

edit:

lol, lmao

Haven't you ever dropped some nice bling at a pawn shop to get some cash and then, when you go back and pay up they have exchanged your gold for a picture of a monkey which you have no use for? It happens more often than you think.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

trucutru posted:

-Dunno, A third?
-930/3 = 310

so how is the celcius subreddit responding to this little deficit?

quote:

dmoe05 5 points 42 minutes ago

So give me my 25% haircut and I'll move on.

quote:

Patient-Ad-9240 4 points 29 minutes ago

thats a dream unfortunately.

will get a 50% cut in usd summer 2023

quote:

dmoe05 2 points 27 minutes ago

Honestly wouldn't complain about that too much. Take the other half loss as a ponzi writeoff.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Crust First posted:

dmoe05 2 points 27 minutes ago

Honestly wouldn't complain about that too much. Take the other half loss as a ponzi writeoff.

someone make a venn diagram of the dudes that think going into a higher tax bracket makes them lose money and dudes that think tax writeoffs are 100% dollar-for-dollar refundable tax credits

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my initial take is that they took in $4.7b worth of money and have $0.170b remaining.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

edit:

lol, lmao

i mean to be fair if i were a definitely not loan shark dealing with a crypto company i would just assume they would never be paying me back and the collateral was mine immediately too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crust First posted:

so how is the celcius subreddit responding to this little deficit?

lmao yes that is how actual bankruptcy goes, everyone just pitches in a little of their account balance to make the company solvent again and everything is fine. there definitely isn't any sort of hierarchy of who gets paid first or anything

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

trucutru posted:

(read the statement)

that's the thing about the ridiculous returns they offer: there's no way to make that much money investing in traditional things, like mortgages. the only way to make returns like that is to invest in extremely volatile assets, aka crypto. of course that volatility can go in the other direction

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Shame Boy posted:

lmao yes that is how actual bankruptcy goes, everyone just pitches in a little of their account balance to make the company solvent again and everything is fine. there definitely isn't any sort of hierarchy of who gets paid first or anything

and yet nobody will invest in my "give me your money and I will give you 50% of it back in a year" plan, even though it's clearly the best returns in the crypto space.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Shame Boy posted:

which is the one where the execs were mystery people nobody had ever seen or could find with profile pictures that were just like, renderings, and they kept issuing press releases assuring everyone that their CEO is definitely honestly 100% a real person, we swear, no you can't meet him he lives in canada

https://defector.com/what-the-hell-is-this-company-the-76ers-just-partnered-with/

Not sure if you meant this one since i have no doubt there are multiple instances of this

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
did anybody post this because lol

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

trucutru posted:

(read the statement)

I mean this is the pirateat40 thing all over again, where everyone with a ridiculous apr claims to only be investing in solid crypto businesses, only to find out that at the bottom was one guy running a ponzi scheme.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ryde posted:

I mean this is the pirateat40 thing all over again, where everyone with a ridiculous apr claims to only be investing in solid crypto businesses, only to find out that at the bottom was one guy running a ponzi scheme.

To be fair to pirateat40 at that time people expected him to be investing in solid illegal drug businesses. Now that has some real returns.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crust First posted:

did anybody post this because lol

trusteeless bankruptcy

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

trucutru posted:

-Dunno, A third?
-930/3 = 310
took the money, forgot to run

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blotto_Otter posted:

edit:

lol, lmao

yeah, i think that's accurate if a bit confusing, because how in the actual hell lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, i think that's accurate if a bit confusing, because how in the actual hell lmao

defi is about innovation, we're going to see so many ways to lose money never imagined before

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
defi expectations

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

defi is about innovation, we're going to see so many ways to lose money never imagined before

luna coins, eh? what a time to be alive

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Blotto_Otter posted:

I did a ctrl-F for "Tether" and these are some interesting bits:

So Tether held an equity stake in Celsius, had a near-billion USDT loan to Celsius, and was presumably holding a billion-ish in crypto from Celsius as collateral, and none of that was ever even hinted at in any of Tether's bullshit "transparency" misdirection efforts until they tried to get out in front of this bankruptcy filing with their weird panicky blogpost last week

Wait

Was the Caisse de Dépôt de Québec putting pension funds into crypto? Or I misreading what the quoted section is discussing

Edir: lmao

quote:

Because of its early success, Celsius attracted major global investors, including the Caisse, which bought in as part of a US$400-million funding round that valued the company at about US$3-billion late last year.

In February, Celsius hired Rod Bolger, who had recently departed from his role as Royal Bank of Canada’s chief financial officer, as its head of finance. “As a proven leader in the space with significant backing, liquidity, and an incredibly exciting growth trajectory, I knew Celsius was the right home for me,” Mr. Bolger said in a June 8 company blog post.

Celsius is only one of several crypto-related firms to have imploded over the past few weeks. The sector-wide panic has investors nervously examining the web of connections between crypto companies, in an effort to learn which of them may be next to fall.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-caisse-backed-crypto-company-celsius-network-files-for-bankruptcy/

kalensc fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 14, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Them, and the OTPP too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kalensc posted:

Wait

Was the Caisse de Dépôt de Québec putting pension funds into crypto? Or I misreading what the quoted section is discussing

i don't remember which ones specifically, but yeah iirc canada's largest pension funds are heavily invested in celcius

on one hand there is a possible bright side in that they apparently paid some debt, but on the other it's unlikely to have been anything besides other crypto garbage. sorry :canada: