Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wheeee posted:

time for a reboot of x-men led by zack snyder

they’re never gonna give Snyder the level of control he’d require to take the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

e: nvm, misread

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

naw every marvel movie has made at least 2x it's production budget back

the incredible hulk and thor 2 being the lower on the PROFIT level but still very lucrative

eternals is the lowest one in recent years though (e: technically eternals is the only marvel flop for domestic box office)

this is a neat chart
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Marvel-Cinematic-Universe#tab=summary&franchise_movies_overview=oa5

Good lord, looking at that and the DCEU one, its no wonder execs weren't happy the outcomes on the Snyder movies. Their flagship characters in their first big screen team up (BVS) are performing at about the level of like, Guardians of The Galaxy.

Absolutely bonkers that Aquaman is their best producer. Happy to see Shazam made like 6x its budget, thats probably my fave.

Also, looking at that, they'll stop making Marvel movies when the sun blows up.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Cyclops's eyeballs are portals to another dimension, and the rays do impact damage.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Good lord, looking at that and the DCEU one, its no wonder execs weren't happy the outcomes on the Snyder movies. Their flagship characters in their first big screen team up (BVS) are performing at about the level of like, Guardians of The Galaxy.

Absolutely bonkers that Aquaman is their best producer. Happy to see Shazam made like 6x its budget, thats probably my fave.

Also, looking at that, they'll stop making Marvel movies when the sun blows up.

All that product placement would have made a dent in the production costs tho.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Cyclops's eyeballs are portals to another dimension, and the rays do impact damage.

that’s basically how the travel tech in The Expanse works

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

galagazombie posted:

Power Rangers told me that every city has an “abandoned warehouse district” where the warehouses all suspiciously look like high rise office buildings. So I assume that’s where the Swat Kats fired most of their missiles.
I do remember the episode where they go to the evil goatee dimension and just straight up kill their bizarro versions. That was fun.

wanted to touch back on this because I just got to the fourth episode of season two - "Razor's Edge" - where the character's are dealing with the criminal and psychological repercussions of collateral damage (but it's somehow okay because the bad guys coordinated to assure they'd miss and hit a specific building which they'd rigged to blow to make them look bad???) and they specifically called out the demolished building as an "abandoned warehouse" :cawg:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think the MeToo movement and then Epstein entering into the public consciousness cracked open something in a lot of people's brains that was not able to be neatly put away. Like there's an awareness that stuff like child trafficking and sex abuse by the elites is happening, but also that they cannot really be held accountable for any of it.
So I think they're trying to find another path to resolve the feeling that something needs to be done about this terrible thing, and their brains land on "my 'neighbor' (in this case some other random tiktoker) is also doing child trafficking and I will hold THEM accountable for it."

stuff like Qanon is meant to draw attention away from the real sex trafficking done by those in power, and redirect the public's rage at reptilian vampires living in tunnels or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if intelligence agencies took over at some point, given their long history of controlling people via honeypots and comprising situations. it became obvious from how quickly the evidence disappeared in stuff like the Epstein, Gaetz, and Robert Kraft cases that there is an established interest to protect and/or manage the elite

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's pretty common and a big part of culture wars and conspiracy theories to realise on some level the people doing awful poo poo are unapproachably powerful, and instead finding and inventing reasons to scapegoat people who are perceived as easier targets.

ya then you have people like Abbott use trans panic to make people forget the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services was caught trafficking children. i'm sure it's a horrifying True Detective style network of government and religious leaders shuffling disadvantaged kids around for their own ends

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Eternals looked unusually bad

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

when did just wanting to kill children for no reason become a stock villain trait did everyone in hollywood watch the hunger games and remember that one plot point but none of the other ones

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Eternals looked unusually bad

yeah idk what the opposite of lightning in a bottle is, but they captured it. a bad beef fart in a bottle.
you had in one movie:
- an ensemble cast, with no superheroes that have any name recognition among the public
- kumail's incredible transformation into a living monster
- a superhero who is 1000s of years old but frustrated by having to live in the body of a child (mods do not read this line)
- no discernible connection to any of the other marvel movies that I can think of, other than coming up with excuses for why they allowed multiple genocides happen on their watch

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

when did just wanting to kill children for no reason become a stock villain trait did everyone in hollywood watch the hunger games and remember that one plot point but none of the other ones

I think that’s been a stock villain trait for a while, so many fairy tales and so much folklore is about evil people/spirits/creatures imprisoning/eating/stealing children. it’s just extremely simple and not really something you see in fiction for people old enough to buy cigarettes

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

just saw a stargate atlantis ep where they used a mobile stargate to redirect and create an orbital laser and thought that was pretty cool. now they're thinking with portals!

- an ensemble cast, with no superheroes that have any name recognition among the public

and the names are all Kingo, Gruegh, Blorp, etc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Durf posted:

Gruegh

Gruegh chuckled, then sighed. “Celestial,” he said, “please fly away.” the Celestial made a light from his head and then he flew away.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do you think there could be a pop group in the boy/girl band/kpop style that was mixed gender or would it be too hard to market/too dramatic internally? the only popular example I can think of is S Club and I use “popular” liberally

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

watched Clerks (1994) today and its terrible

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not that I care, but Marvel seems like it really needs a reboot. They've lost too many of the actors that carried the first films. The story after Thanos is a slog because you can't not acknowledge the universe-wide genocide. The numbers are getting high enough (Thor 4) that it just sounds old.

But I wasn't the target audience before and I'm not now, so who cares.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The numbers are getting high enough (Thor 4) that it just sounds old.

This is honestly a solid rear end point. Up until the recent trend of soft rebooting, part 4s and above were almost exclusively the domain of Slasher films. Soon Chris Hemsworth is gonna need to be CGI de-aged to still look like he's a living god lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not that I care, but Marvel seems like it really needs a reboot. They've lost too many of the actors that carried the first films. The story after Thanos is a slog because you can't not acknowledge the universe-wide genocide. The numbers are getting high enough (Thor 4) that it just sounds old.

But I wasn't the target audience before and I'm not now, so who cares.

I think the problem is finding new actors/characters to really be exciting. The catch is like, they seem to be doing okay with more diverse characters now with Shang-Chi and Ms Marvel and I'd hate for that to get destroyed for a new Iron Man. Lol at the idea the new Black Panther is gonna be anything good though.

IDK, I watched most of them in theatres until the pandemic started and then I didn't and it's not felt like I've missed much. I wish the Defenders stuff was still on Netflix so I could finally get around to watching the Punisher/JJ S2, I guess.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
honestly I think it's time for a Sonic expanded cinematic universe

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

i think that's what they're doing if i remember correctly, there will be a knuckles solo movie or something

10 years from now ken penders will be the richest man in the world as the LARA-SU DEFENDERS breaks $10 billion gross

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Maya Fey posted:

watched Clerks (1994) today and its terrible

Kevin Smith films really haven't aged that well past the 90s.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

resurrect Troma films to do the Sonichu movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

resurrect Troma films to do the Sonichu movie

Tangentially related: I know a guy who blew up his marriage and career to be an extra in Troma's "Poultrygeist" lol

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tangentially related: I know a guy who blew up his marriage and career to be an extra in Troma's "Poultrygeist" lol

it's extra funny because even as Troma movies go that thing is loving unwatchable

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the MCU will be just like in the comics in that they will replace all their big characters with more hip and diverse versions until enough chud editors and c-suite mummies get mad and then bring back Steve Rogers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This is honestly a solid rear end point. Up until the recent trend of soft rebooting, part 4s and above were almost exclusively the domain of Slasher films. Soon Chris Hemsworth is gonna need to be CGI de-aged to still look like he's a living god lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZocvme6cYc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arivia posted:

I think the problem is finding new actors/characters to really be exciting. The catch is like, they seem to be doing okay with more diverse characters now with Shang-Chi and Ms Marvel and I'd hate for that to get destroyed for a new Iron Man. Lol at the idea the new Black Panther is gonna be anything good though
there's still plenty of new actors to sang, like the cool Midsommar chick is now an MCU actress. im sure they could steal away robert pattinson or harry potter people or something idk

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

How do people not know this smdh

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
you have come to a god called gor

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

one film for each of dr robotnik's phds

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why haven't each of the koopalings gotten a spinoff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wendy's been writing a book for years with no publishing date in sight

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

No one:

Me: Eternals was more fun than The Batman but not as good as Wonder Woman 84 imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

No one:

Me: Eternals was more fun than The Batman but not as good as Wonder Woman 84 imo

those sound like three unfun movies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No one:

amazing how perfectly you managed to thread that needle so that not a single person will ever agree with you

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1547638320905089024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

No one:

ww84 is one of the worst movies of all time tbh. any time Mando isn’t on screen or WW is on screen the movie grinds to a halt

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Can't wait for hopepunk Moby Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i watched paul last night and it really threw me for a loop how the sets and wardrobe were constructed with all sorts of nerd poo poo but at no point does anyone directly reference any of it you only need to know what invincible and the boys are to the extent that it looks like nerd poo poo the main characters would be into