Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

evilpicard posted:

Tax the rich and literally use it to build more supply capacity.

Nice plan and all but we're literally euthanizing poor people because they can't afford a home or medication. I don't think any policy plan against the rich will be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

yah it rules how often im seeing articles about that in other threads. Oh canada

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

evilpicard posted:

The problem with managing inflation with interest rates alone is by definition it lowers demand by impoverishing people, which then removes incentive for businesses to create more supply.

When we read about shortages/inflation, it really means "oh no! people's human needs are being met! this is bad because number!"

Better punish the poor with unemployent! Not to actually reverse inflation, just to slow the rate of increase. So now they have less money but still pay the higher prices. This is good somehow!

yea lol

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

evilpicard posted:

The problem with managing inflation with interest rates alone is by definition it lowers demand by impoverishing people, which then removes incentive for businesses to create more supply.

When we read about shortages/inflation, it really means "oh no! people's human needs are being met! this is bad because number!"

Better punish the poor with unemployent! Not to actually reverse inflation, just to slow the rate of increase. So now they have less money but still pay the higher prices. This is good somehow!
Yeah it sucks lol

Just pick any two:
  • massive marginal wealth tax + remove regressive sales taxes
  • create price controls
  • create jobs program to build infrastructure
  • create jobs program to build literally any economic capacity that isn't some form of extraction at home or abroad
  • nationalize all utilities
  • nationalize telecom (but I repeat myself)
  • nationalize any housing owned by a REIT (and "mom and pop" landlords duh)
...there are a whole bunch of simple and easy solutions that would deal not only with inflation but also with housing and other problems, but oops we're a fake country with zero political horizons now that we've spent almost three quarters of a century electing governments on a platform of "ah jeez governments shouldn't, uh, do things (except serve the apostles of Mammon but that doesn't count because :shrug:)"

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Almost every problem we as a country face is pretty easily fixable but that would mean some with more than enough will have a little less and we can't have that.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Ontario top doc told young people not to get The Jab today lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Cool

well Health Canada still approved Modern for under 5

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

skewetoo posted:

Almost every problem we as a country face is pretty easily fixable but that would mean some with more than enough will have a little less and we can't have that.

Yeah but one time there was a place that did communism and they told me that that place was bad and therefore nothing can ever be done differently, ever,

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why did The End of History resonate so strongly in Canada? I know the Liberals see themselves as the natural ruling party and everything, but why did we go all-in? Was it that like Ireland we were still not fully industrialized when the crisis of profitability hit in the 70’s so we were committed to a service economy or something?

I wish I could formulate the thought better but talking to upper middle class Boomers and Gen X in the Toronto suburbs, they really are fully committed to this project, even if they don’t understand it as an ideology or even “political”.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Why did The End of History resonate so strongly in Canada? I know the Liberals see themselves as the natural ruling party and everything, but why did we go all-in? Was it that like Ireland we were still not fully industrialized when the crisis of profitability hit in the 70’s so we were committed to a service economy or something?

I wish I could formulate the thought better but talking to upper middle class Boomers and Gen X in the Toronto suburbs, they really are fully committed to this project, even if they don’t understand it as an ideology or even “political”.

we're in north america so we were in a geographic location where nothing had actually happened in a hundred years anyway, and unlike the US we didn't really consider ourselves a global player that had to go be involved in poo poo so it was very easy for us to get accustomed to the idea that the rest of human history was just going to be one big victory lap

there was nothing to shatter the illusion

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh hey, I'm kind of familiar with this case since my kids go to that school - though fortunately nobody in our family appears to have got COVID from it. We pulled the kids from in-person learning when the absentee rate started spiking at Westglen.

One thing that is NOT in the report is that the CMOH stopped counting cases in this outbreak when the school went online. But there was still a substantial amount of in-home transmission from sibling to sibling and parent. I know one of the local moms who is still wheelchair-bound with long COVID ten months after the outbreak, and her case is not recorded in the outbreak data. So presumably it's much more than the 70-cases.

One thing that I didn't know was that the music teacher was unvaccinated. This is bonkers; the music teacher is one of the few adults who would be exposed to EVERY kid in the school, and presumably you have to remove your mask to play on a recorder or some poo poo. It's negligent to let teachers who are unvaccinated teach during a pandemic, and it's bordering on criminal to have the music teacher be the one in this situation.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Just got jabbed w/ #4. In and out of the pharmacy on 30 mins. Longest delay was the pharmacist figuring out that male presenting people can change their names too. I think I missed my chance on getting a second full round of initial + boosters though :sigh: Nurse was really quick with giving the shot though I think she was trying to get the needle through my arm and into ribs. It definitely felt deeper than anyother shot I've had. No side effects so far but last time it took a couple of hours before knocking me out for the day.

skewetoo posted:

Ontario top doc told young people not to get The Jab today lmao

You're not my real dad :mad:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The canadian mind is identical to the american mind but for how much space goes to reassuring oneself that they're not racist

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mameluke posted:

The canadian mind is identical to the american mind but for how much space goes to reassuring oneself that they're not as racist as americans

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Mulroney went all-in first, so all the Liberals had to do was follow the Red Tories' lead.

When your entire political establishment is effectively aligned in agreement about the way forward, not much is going to stop it. The provinces had the power to do so, and I think some resisted for a while, but eventually the sheer cost of the social welfare state forced most provinces to fall in line, not to mention that the new generation of provincial politicians had bought-in in university.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

:mad:
Can't even select next week. Other locations don't seem to be locked out like this. Don't really want to have to deal with going far for a shot if I can avoid it.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

:mad:
Can't even select next week. Other locations don't seem to be locked out like this. Don't really want to have to deal with going far for a shot if I can avoid it.

check your city's website to see if they're doing any walk-in vaccination clinics

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Albino Squirrel posted:

One thing that I didn't know was that the music teacher was unvaccinated. This is bonkers; the music teacher is one of the few adults who would be exposed to EVERY kid in the school, and presumably you have to remove your mask to play on a recorder or some poo poo. It's negligent to let teachers who are unvaccinated teach during a pandemic, and it's bordering on criminal to have the music teacher be the one in this situation.

Agreed, glad your kids are safe though.

So much of this poo poo is going to be unearthed in the next decade. What a poo poo show from top to bottom.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Mulroney went all-in first, so all the Liberals had to do was follow the Red Tories' lead.

When your entire political establishment is effectively aligned in agreement about the way forward, not much is going to stop it. The provinces had the power to do so, and I think some resisted for a while, but eventually the sheer cost of the social welfare state forced most provinces to fall in line, not to mention that the new generation of provincial politicians had bought-in in university.

It's mostly been forgotten but the Chretien Liberals actually won running against Kim Campbell promising to cancel NAFTA, then changed their mind when they were in government. Of all people, Sheila Copps had enough principles to resign her seat when that happened and run again on the issue (now that her party was pro-NAFTA) in a byelection. She won.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol Jesus

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Love to trumpet spray covid on my students lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

It's mostly been forgotten but the Chretien Liberals actually won running against Kim Campbell promising to cancel NAFTA, then changed their mind when they were in government. Of all people, Sheila Copps had enough principles to resign her seat when that happened and run again on the issue (now that her party was pro-NAFTA) in a byelection. She won.

drat that's right. I vaguely remember the '93 election but I was young enough that the campaign issues never really stuck with me. NAFTA was just this abstract thing, I didn't realize it was probably why my dad was afraid of being laid off for a decade, or how it devastated small holder farmers in Mexico and spurred a lot of the migrant farm labour we have today that North American agriculture exploits and depends on outside fully mechanized crops like wheat.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

one man has nice jeans, one man has cheap jeans

at the rodeo, where they are both playing cowboy

Making fun of Wal-Mart jeans is not a very smart thing to do, but it is a very Liberal thing to do

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The Rustler carpenter jeans you get for 20 bucks at Walmart are hands down the best jeans for doing any form of manual labour.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Making fun of Wal-Mart jeans is not a very smart thing to do, but it is a very Liberal thing to do

surefire Liberal strategy to win over rural albertans: doesn't trudeau look great in his designer jeans and perfect cowboy costume?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

enki42 posted:

surefire Liberal strategy to win over rural albertans: doesn't trudeau look great in his designer jeans and perfect cowboy costume?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

enki42 posted:

If only for this misstep, Albertans would be flocking to the Liberal party.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
do the Michaels look good in jeans?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is a stupid question, but what do Ford Nation Boomers do with the value of their massively inflated house prices? Say someone bought in Newmarket for $180k in 1991 and it’s worth $1.5m now. If they sell, they would have to buy another massively inflated house, or move to idk Orillia or something to buy a similar house for less money and pocket the difference?

I realize everybody likes seeing the number go up, I’m just wondering how that turn that into money when every other house is also expensive?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

This is a stupid question, but what do Ford Nation Boomers do with the value of their massively inflated house prices? Say someone bought in Newmarket for $180k in 1991 and it’s worth $1.5m now. If they sell, they would have to buy another massively inflated house, or move to idk Orillia or something to buy a similar house for less money and pocket the difference?

I realize everybody likes seeing the number go up, I’m just wondering how that turn that into money when every other house is also expensive?

if they don't want to leave it to their kids, they can take out a heloc to pay for cruises and rvs in retirement

or pay for senior care at a facility where the staff isn't allowed to beat you

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't be a fool. You take out a HELOC to buy a rental investment, then you take out a HELOC on that to buy a cottage, then you take a out a HELOC on that to buy an RV, and if you can't take out HELOCs on RVs then what are we even doing here?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

eXXon posted:

Don't be a fool. You take out a HELOC to buy a rental investment, then you take out a HELOC on that to buy a cottage, then you take a out a HELOC on that to buy an RV, and if you can't take out HELOCs on RVs then what are we even doing here?

I assumed that when I bought a house somebody would take me aside and explain all this stuff but nope, I need to learn this from the communist sub of some dead gay web 1.0 forums

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Karach posted:

I assumed that when I bought a house somebody would take me aside and explain all this stuff but nope, I need to learn this from the communist sub of some dead gay web 1.0 forums

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAbRc9kRAU&feature=emb_title

Same here. What the gently caress is this? You owe the bank money either way?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Mom and Pop 4 HELOC Home Owners, profits donated to Freedom Truckers LLC

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"Say you've purchased a home valued at $500,000" well is that because it's in an empty field in the middle of nowhere or is it 1999 again?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAbRc9kRAU&feature=emb_title

Same here. What the gently caress is this? You owe the bank money either way?

it seems like every dollar I pay back to the bank for my mortgage, they're willing to lend back to me at interest?

*thinks harder than I've ever thought before* why don't we just make houses cost less so I can keep the money in the first place

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

they hoard it

that or they reverse-mortgage it, which works great for them but also means that their kids don't get it when they die, further concentrating land ownership outside the hands of people who actually want to live in them

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
refinance the equity, then take that and buy another house, do some purely cosmetic renovations that increase the banks appraisal, rent it out, then refinance that, and then take that and put it in another house, and on and on and on

I've rented from boomers that did this. It's called BRRRR - buy, renovate, rent, refinance, repeat

They usually had 4-5 properties

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why the gently caress are there so many RVs on the road now. More than I've ever seen in the past couple of years on the highway. With gas prices so high it's insane to me you'd be driving those around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why the gently caress are there so many RVs on the road now. More than I've ever seen in the past couple of years on the highway. With gas prices so high it's insane to me you'd be driving those around.

I've seen a lot too.

One last hurrah before Tr*dope bans fossil fuels, I guess?

Only registered members can see post attachments!