Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Lord Stimperor posted:

Confession: I would have liked nfts for use cases like media and software licenses.

You buy a music album or a movie (old fashioned, I know), it's recorded in your wallet. You can then always access or re-download it without searching all your email accounts for the receipt, or across five different platforms where you might have bought it. Or you could gift or sell your copy.

Naturally that's exactly why no business would want to use that service - imagine people being able to sell their software or music like they used to thirty years ago. Industries would poo poo their pants.

If it was at all feasible to store all of that (i.e. the actual album/game/etc) on-chain, it would make some sense, but it isn't. If you wanted to always be able to download the album you bought, you'd need a service that verifies that you own the receipt that says you own the album, and once again, we literally already have that. Record labels don't want you to be able to do that, but it's not like we need NFTs for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Confession: I would have liked nfts for use cases like media and software licenses.

You buy a music album or a movie (old fashioned, I know), it's recorded in your wallet. You can then always access or re-download it without searching all your email accounts for the receipt, or across five different platforms where you might have bought it. Or you could gift or sell your copy.

Naturally that's exactly why no business would want to use that service - imagine people being able to sell their software or music like they used to thirty years ago. Industries would poo poo their pants.
NFTs don't change anything about that. An NFT basically is a software license receipt email: a unique serial number and associated URL which you have to fish out of some account. A single line in a database.

Infrastructure to enable those kinds of features could be created using any old basic software, like you say the actual issue is that none of the companies would ever want it. Using hyper-inefficient blockchain software doesn't change anything except make even less likely, because adding that single line to the database ("minting the NFT") costs upwards of 75 dollars (lol)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
MySQL is perfectly good enough to do that and a platform like Steam could implement reselling for games in a week if they wanted to.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I coded a block chain on my Ti-82 in algebra class, cause it's that dumbshit of coding.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol, those lovely Kevin Hart NFTs also have a horrifying mocapped animated show:

https://youtu.be/9bunoCnipNQ

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lord Stimperor posted:

NFTs don't really solve any of these:
Ok its recorded in your wallet, that's no different than any receipt other than it's public so everyone knows you bought it.
Being able to access or re-download isn't attached to the blockchain, but the service. Blockchains are too inefficient to actually store the media, which is why we all jokes about NFTs just being links to jpegs.
You'd still have to search your email accounts for the receipt because to access the wallet you'd need the password for it.
As for across five platforms, you're just proposing a sixth. So you'd still have to remember if it was in the unified platform or the other five. Or what would happen, instead, is that if those was a good idea those 5 platforms would just each have their own blockchain/NFT schema and you'd still have to search the five.
Gifting and selling, also isn't some unique technology to NFTs any service that tracks ownership could theoretically also transfer ownership. It's just a piece of data, and data can be changed. Even data on the blockchain.

Blockchains have no practical application. And a good way to tell if you're misunderstanding blockchain is if you start to think they ever do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, those lovely Kevin Hart NFTs also have a horrifying mocapped animated show:

https://youtu.be/9bunoCnipNQ

didnt even need the NFT tag to make a kevin hart project trash

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kevin Hart is a classic case of overexposure. He's attained Nicholas Cage status.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
cage can still own

kevin hart is an annoying tag along

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

kevin never been funny, the rock is 10x funnier and he's not even really that funny.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They have an odd couple appeal that works. They're no Matthau and Lemmon, not even Perry and Lennon, but that's basically their schtick at this point and they're not bad at it.

There's just no believing them as characters anymore, all their movies are just (actor) in X situation now. Seemed to work for the Jumanji movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jumanji works because they go for a weirdly specific but perfect 90s video game vibe, and the Rock is basically playing Doc Savage.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you want to own a work of media forever no mater what, here's what you do.

pirate it. pirates will always do more for the preservation of media than the actual IP holders.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

NFTs don't really solve any of these:
Ok its recorded in your wallet, that's no different than any receipt other than it's public so everyone knows you bought it.
Being able to access or re-download isn't attached to the blockchain, but the service. Blockchains are too inefficient to actually store the media, which is why we all jokes about NFTs just being links to jpegs.
You'd still have to search your email accounts for the receipt because to access the wallet you'd need the password for it.
As for across five platforms, you're just proposing a sixth. So you'd still have to remember if it was in the unified platform or the other five. Or what would happen, instead, is that if those was a good idea those 5 platforms would just each have their own blockchain/NFT schema and you'd still have to search the five.
Gifting and selling, also isn't some unique technology to NFTs any service that tracks ownership could theoretically also transfer ownership. It's just a piece of data, and data can be changed. Even data on the blockchain.

Blockchains have no practical application. And a good way to tell if you're misunderstanding blockchain is if you start to think they ever do.

Exactly, the "NFT for everything!" use case is basically just that XKCD Standards comic.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

if you want to own a work of media forever no mater what, here's what you do.

pirate it. pirates will always do more for the preservation of media than the actual IP holders.

100% truth. DRM specifically exists to prevent consumers from truly owning the content they buy. When I'm making copies of things I paid for, pirates do a much better job of compressing and labeling it than I have time to do myself.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

So...just a completely different company then?

I think it's air. It's made out of air, like most Crypto things.

I like how the Celcius reddit is currently in the bargaining stage. "What if they just mine the hole?" or "What if they sell all their rigs" or "what if the directors take pay cuts and we get our money first?"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I thought the whole point was that it was decentralised. I've been trying to understand for literal years why they say crypto and Bitcoin in particular are great because they're decentralised and they hate banks, but then go and jam all their money in a centralised exchange service.

Laziness. It's easier to have an exchange find a buyer for your coins than go through craigslist or make threads on forums.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I mean it's less laziness and more that the system just doesn't work at all without some kind of centralised exchange. How do you know what the current price of bitcoin is when you meet a guy in the burger king parking lot to exchange wallet keys and carrier bags full of cash? Do you accept the price you agreed earlier or the price at the moment of exchange? Who enforces the price?

'Decentralised' is just another one of those words that buttcoiners throw around because they see it gets traction. They don't really know or care what it actually means in practice (like everything in the cryptoverse), they just think it'll get more people to shovel money into the system.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

super sweet best pal posted:

Laziness. It's easier to have an exchange find a buyer for your coins than go through craigslist or make threads on forums.

Plus having an exchange as a middleman also means the exchange actually happens from both ends.

If you're doing one-to-one exchanges, you can do your part, but there's nothing in the blockchain bullshit ensuring that the other half does their part, too. They can just take your poo poo and run. Exchanges makes getting scammed by other traders less likely... on the other hand it then introduces getting scammed by the exchange. :v:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Turning crypto in to real money is almost impossible without exchanges for one you don't have access to stable coins (which are the main intermediary of trade for crypto as much as people like to pretend it isn't) if you aren't on an exchange.

The crypto boom was entirely built on exchanges becoming "trustworthy" so if people decide not to use them, that's a further strike against a recovery in price.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I thought the whole point was that it was decentralised. I've been trying to understand for literal years why they say crypto and Bitcoin in particular are great because they're decentralised and they hate banks, but then go and jam all their money in a centralised exchange service.

Bitcoin itself is completely decentralised.

The problem is that decentralised systems suck. So they very quickly invented banks again as somewhere to centralise all their currency handling.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

lmao

imagine even putting 40 dollars on celsius

What do you get if you convert your 32 million dollars into celcius crypto? Zero :v:.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Lone Badger posted:

Bitcoin itself is completely decentralised.

The problem is that decentralised systems suck. So they very quickly invented banks again as somewhere to centralise all their currency handling.

Exchanges also mean that since you're just changing a number in the exchange's ledger, your crypto transfers happen more or less instantly and without any fees.

If you're actually moving stuff along the ethereum chain, i.e. to another wallet, rather than just to a different pocket in the exchange's wallet, it A) has transfer fees(I think they usually clock in at something like $50 to $200 in Ethereum) and B) the transfer can take between a couple of minutes, a day or even completely fail to process. Intra-exchange transfers don't suffer from that.

Zandi
Aug 7, 2003
www.nomadhonor.com
This is what nfts are good for:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62136553

bbc posted:

They have also signed a fly-on-the-wall documentary deal with a major streaming platform to record their first year in charge.

I can't wait for this to come out

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I thought I'd check the Celsius (CEL) token today because the company behind it has gone bankrupt, and naturally a coin that has no other function except within that ecosystem must surely be in the toilet, right? It's up 28% today.

Who in the hell buys CEL knowing that the company behind it is wrecked? Is it some sort desperate "if we can pump this maybe Celsius will survive and I'll get access to my funds again" sunk cost fallacy?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Durzel posted:

I thought I'd check the Celsius (CEL) token today because the company behind it has gone bankrupt, and naturally a coin that has no other function except within that ecosystem must surely be in the toilet, right? It's up 28% today.

Who in the hell buys CEL knowing that the company behind it is wrecked? Is it some sort desperate "if we can pump this maybe Celsius will survive and I'll get access to my funds again" sunk cost fallacy?

I think Luna has proven that yes, this is the exact thought process that leads to this decision

froste
Mar 19, 2003
It can't go down, ergo it must go up

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Durzel posted:

The pump and dump never stops.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It’s cheap and has name recognition. Much easier to pump now.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The copium with bankrupt crypto companies is beyond anything I can describe. It's literally people whose mindset is never anything other than "it must go up". It's equivalent to betting on black in roulette 100% of the time and expecting to get ahead despite the probability then being below 50%, and when they win saying "see it goes up" and when they lose doubling up or going silent.

Quite literally gambling mindset because our brains are wired to love this poo poo.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s cheap and has name recognition. Much easier to pump now.

well, that and the fact a lot of it is presumably stuck in the defunct exchange and can't be sold for a while.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

I coded a block chain on my Ti-82 in algebra class, cause it's that dumbshit of coding.
you coded a block chain in the early 90s?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
legit question is there still a market for scientific calculators? like they cost as much as a mobile phone and have vastly less computing ability right?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

CountryMatters posted:

legit question is there still a market for scientific calculators? like they cost as much as a mobile phone and have vastly less computing ability right?
you do not want to use a touchscreen phone as a calculator

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Calculus classes basically are why you see them in the wild outside of engineering firms. Inability/unwilling to lock down students' mobile devices plus teaching plans that codified around the TI-8x line of calculators keep a robust market for them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CountryMatters posted:

At the undergrad level? No. Wolfram alpha completely replaced the utility of graphing calculators over a decade ago.

High school might have exams that allow them. Maybe some standardized test allows them.

e: to be fair, this post is from the perspective of someone who stopped using their graphing calculator due to great web tools. I'm sure there are students who like it because it's a dedicated device that they were indoctrinated into using.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 15, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Man, I sure am hungry after Friday prayers, but after walking back from the mosque, I'm just too tired to cook. I wonder what I can order-

McDonald's it is!

why is everything in the crypto space plant based and air fried?

Khorne posted:

At the undergrad level? No. Wolfram alpha completely replaced the utility of graphing calculators over a decade ago.

High school might have exams that allow them. Maybe some standardized test allows them.

bro this poo poo can tell you jokes? this is legit as hell:

but the real joke is crypto

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 15, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm just waiting for the day someone goes "we need to make sure the exchanges are held accountable for their user's funds" and completes the history of finance speedrun by creating a regulatory authority.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SettingSun posted:

I'm just waiting for the day someone goes "we need to make sure the exchanges are held accountable for their user's funds" and completes the history of finance speedrun by creating a regulatory authority.

They already say this but only when things explode. Otherwise it's no regulation because regulations are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

"what if the directors take pay cuts and we get our money first?"

https://youtu.be/qACgkwyuA-w