Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Valt posted:

I think the issue there is that the clearwater reel does not come in 10wt sizes. The biggest one only supports 9wt line. But I will ask them and see what they say. Maybe underlining the rod by 1 weight isn't a big deal. but at that point I could just go buy a reel that supports bigger line.

I'm sort of leaning towards the echo boost blue.

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/boost-blue/

With a TFO reel

https://tforods.com/product/ntr-fly-reels/

My everyday rod that I use is a echo river glass 3 wt and I have really liked that rod a lot. I've also been seeing guides recommending the rio tarpon line quite often. Plus I will need flies and another fly box since I don't have any saltwater stuff. I'm also going to have to try and learn how to double haul. I generally single haul when I'm casting normally but I don't haul on the back cast as it messes with my rhythm. But when you are on the ocean and having to fight wind you really need that line speed.

Lamson makes an excellent salt rod in 8wt that is cheaper than the Boost Blue.

You can go cheap with a Behemoth reel. Large arbor should only run about $100. You can find slightly cheaper deals online. I use the Rio Tarpon line on my salt rig, though I haven’t used it since I moved back to CO. It’s more important that you learn to rig your own leader out of 25 through 10# mono. You’re going to be tearing your leader apart constantly, and if you fish anywhere with an oyster bed, you may want to flip that to something beefier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Valt posted:

Oh I have been looking but finding a used rod that isn't a cabellas rod or something like that is difficult at best. I see orvis and sage rods for 200 or so, but thats without a reel.

I was looking at 10 weights since I'm interested in fishing for tarpon and the recommended rod sizes for that is generally between 10 and 12. They also recommend a decent reel since those fish actually run. TFO sells a combo for 250 but it only comes in an 8wt, same for orvis clearwater it only comes in the combo as a 8wt. However you can buy a 10wt clearwater rod.

The spool idea is a good one, but my clearwater reel is a II so it only supports line sizes up to 6wt. I would probably just go with the TFO NTR reel as it goes up to 10wt. Though I'm going to continue to cruise facebook and craigslist for used stuff since I bet someone will be selling a complete 10wt setup at some point.
Nothing wrong with a cabelas rod. I’d spend $200 on saltwater line before I went over $50 on a rod.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Seconding the Redington Behemoth for a saltwater setup. It's not fully sealed so be sure to rinse it well after use each day with freshwater but it's got good drag which is more important with a saltwater setup than fresh if you hook into a tarpon or big snook or something. I fished an 8wt when I vacationed in FL and felt like it was a good balance. If I was specifically targeting big tarpon or something I might break out the 10 but an 8 is no slouch for inshore stuff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I can’t put enough emphasis on not spending too much money on a rod if you have budget concerns. The rods built today , especially on the low to medium end, are just too comparable. Generally all you are getting for your Extra money slightly lighter weight and some level of sensitivity that might not even be detectable by most anglers. Too many companies make good rods and anglers have benefited from it.

Save money on rods and spend it on reels.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Sickening posted:

I can’t put enough emphasis on not spending too much money on a rod if you have budget concerns. The rods built today , especially on the low to medium end, are just too comparable. Generally all you are getting for your Extra money slightly lighter weight and some level of sensitivity that might not even be detectable by most anglers. Too many companies make good rods and anglers have benefited from it.

It looks like Echo makes a 10wt thats about 200 so maybe thats a better option. I really don't want to spend a ton of money of the rod as I am aware that the super expensive rods don't really offer much. But I would like to get one from a actual fly rod company. I bought a amazon reel for my 3wt since it just holds line mostly but I have decided its annoying to even use so I'm going to buy a an actual fly reel for it.

Today I had something happen I don't even understand. Somehow a dragonfly got caught up in my leader and he flew around with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Zb1FNF2Ms

Valt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 7, 2022

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

I respectfully disagree. $200-250 is a sweet spot for rods. The reel just holds line and is not even used for 99% of fly fishing.

Rod > line > reel (IMO)

I have a TFO BVK 8wt that fishes nicer than my buddies $500 Scott rod. My Lamson reel rarely engages anything. Most fish can be retrieved by hand. If money is no object grab an awesome large arbor reel. Otherwise, get a decent rod and any old reel. You can upgrade later.

Now OP wants to get into tarpon fishing which is entirely different than any other fly fishing. The reel does become more important, but you can always palm a reel to apply more drag. Nothing you can do to make a bad rod good. Your reel is never gonna get a chance to do work if your rod isn’t good enough to get the line and fly where they need to be.

But I don’t disagree with Sickening premise that when cheap rods are OK these days, just saying if you are gonna blow a few hundred on one component, I’d make it the rod.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I’d probably blow that kind of money to have a good guide teach me what I need to know.

But that’s just me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

tesilential posted:

I respectfully disagree. $200-250 is a sweet spot for rods. The reel just holds line and is not even used for 99% of fly fishing.

Rod > line > reel (IMO)

I have a TFO BVK 8wt that fishes nicer than my buddies $500 Scott rod. My Lamson reel rarely engages anything. Most fish can be retrieved by hand. If money is no object grab an awesome large arbor reel. Otherwise, get a decent rod and any old reel. You can upgrade later.

Now OP wants to get into tarpon fishing which is entirely different than any other fly fishing. The reel does become more important, but you can always palm a reel to apply more drag. Nothing you can do to make a bad rod good. Your reel is never gonna get a chance to do work if your rod isn’t good enough to get the line and fly where they need to be.

But I don’t disagree with Sickening premise that when cheap rods are OK these days, just saying if you are gonna blow a few hundred on one component, I’d make it the rod.

To be fair, I wasn't even talking about fly fishing. The reel for fly fishing seems like its barely a consideration.

Take my comment as basically every other type of rod and reel fishing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

To be fair, I wasn't even talking about fly fishing. The reel for fly fishing seems like its barely a consideration.

Take my comment as basically every other type of rod and reel fishing.

My bad bro, I thought the conversation was about fly fishing. Dunno how I got that messed up.

For spinning hell yeah I’d get a $220 reel and $60-100 rod all day. In fact I do.

Calico jack rod ($60) with a shimano Stradic reel ($230) is tits

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
It’s all just so dependent on what you are fishing for I think.

Gonna be slinging big rear end bucktails and rubber all day for musky? Then yeah, get a nice beefy reel that is comfortable to palm, has super durable innards, and a good drag in case you hook into something large. Same with sturgeon or cat fishing. A nicer rod means lighter weight normally here, which is nice for fatigue, but it’s not like you are making a ton of use out of the added sensitivity.

Walleye or panfish? I’d much rather spend money on the rod. The reels drag rarely gets a workout, I’m not going to wear out the gears or anything, etc. most important component for a walleye reel for me is that it balances perfectly with the rod. It’s amazing how much less fatigued I get when jigging or rigging all day for walleye of the rod is balanced. I’d it’s too heavy especially It wears on you.

Speaking of balance, that’s one of my biggest problems lately. I’ve started to enjoy using longer rods for walleye fishing, like 7’ - 7’10”, but they are tough to find a reel that will balance right with it. Feel like I need to put a 3000 size reel on it to balance when I definitely don’t need that line capacity or increased drag power. And a lot of times the more expensive reels are lighter, which makes the problem even worse.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

tesilential posted:

My bad bro, I thought the conversation was about fly fishing. Dunno how I got that messed up.

For spinning hell yeah I’d get a $220 reel and $60-100 rod all day. In fact I do.

Calico jack rod ($60) with a shimano Stradic reel ($230) is tits

Yeah I was talking about fly fishing and yeah the 200 dollar rods are a good middle of the road price point for fly rods. My interest is in tarpon so having a good reel is actually a consideration.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Echo Boost Blue 8-10wt, a Redington Behemoth of appropriate size and a Scientific Anglers Frequency Saltwater is what I would pick for a budget saltwater setup (under $500 total) and is almost identical to what I actually have. Sub the Echo for a Moonshine Outcast (they have mixed reviews, mine's fine and I got it real cheap on black friday a few years ago) and that's what I used when I was in FL. If I were upgrading the rod I'd look at the TFO Axiom-II, for a better reel I'm not actually sure, maybe the TFO BVK SD or an Orvis Hydros but the only thing it really offers over the Behemoth is less of a need to rinse after use, but you should still rinse your gear even if it's fully sealed drag.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 10, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

It’s all just so dependent on what you are fishing for I think.

Gonna be slinging big rear end bucktails and rubber all day for musky? Then yeah, get a nice beefy reel that is comfortable to palm, has super durable innards, and a good drag in case you hook into something large. Same with sturgeon or cat fishing. A nicer rod means lighter weight normally here, which is nice for fatigue, but it’s not like you are making a ton of use out of the added sensitivity.

Walleye or panfish? I’d much rather spend money on the rod. The reels drag rarely gets a workout, I’m not going to wear out the gears or anything, etc. most important component for a walleye reel for me is that it balances perfectly with the rod. It’s amazing how much less fatigued I get when jigging or rigging all day for walleye of the rod is balanced. I’d it’s too heavy especially It wears on you.

Speaking of balance, that’s one of my biggest problems lately. I’ve started to enjoy using longer rods for walleye fishing, like 7’ - 7’10”, but they are tough to find a reel that will balance right with it. Feel like I need to put a 3000 size reel on it to balance when I definitely don’t need that line capacity or increased drag power. And a lot of times the more expensive reels are lighter, which makes the problem even worse.

Why such a long rod for walleye?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dik Hz posted:

7' medium/xfast seems to me to be the perfect length for casting paddletails with 1/4" head, my favorite rod. My other favorite walleye rod is a 7'6 medium light/xfast, good for casting lighter paddletails into shallows or rigging as a slip bobber rod. I keep a couple 6'6 in the boat setup for jigging as well.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dik Hz posted:

Mainly for live bait rigging/lindy rigging, or pitching jigs.

For rigging, I like a longer rod that has a bit of a softer tip, then the rod has some give before the fish feels me. That way as soon as I feel that tap I can let line out and give it time to take the bait.

Pitching jigs I like the effortless casting distance I get with a longer rod, and then better line pickup if you get bites far from the boat or on the drop.

Vertical jigging I use anything from like 5’10 to 6’3, those are easy to balance out.

It’s just also a trend I’ve noticed in the last 5 or so years, way more long rods out there now.

I bought a Phenix feather spinning rod that’s super lightweight, it’s like 7’7 or something, and has this super minimalist handle. But lightweight doesn’t mean crap when it’s tip heavy. You’d think, ‘ooh, this rod is under 4 oz, I should put a super lightweight reel on it to keep it a super light setup’, but it just doesn’t work.

Maybe I need to put a couple ounces of weight in the butt of the rod? But then it’s like, why am I artificially adding weight to a setup I bought to be lightweight?

I did just pickup a rod from Elliot Rods, and it’s awesome. It’s run by the Thorne brothers, who ran, but eventually sold, Thorne Bros. No one probably knows who or what that is, but they are a huge custom rod maker in MN. They like brought custom ice fishing rods to the mainstream, and specialized in custom made Muskie rods and baits.

They sold their company and with that came like a non-compete, which has now expired. Their new rods feature patented SynCork handles, which are a synthetic cork that’s lighter than real cork, and maintains its grip when wet or slimy. I was skeptical of that cause I love cork, but after a week in Canada I’m a believer.

Probably the best walleye rod I’ve used, and I have a couple loomis and st croix legends. Give them a look!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
just got this not 5 minutes ago. Docks, I am no longer your slave!

Cimber fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 12, 2022

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went fishing last weekend in the first time in ages. Surf fishing. The least productive fishing known to man and woman. Topsail, NC. Rough surf, high winds and I got skunked.

So gonna have to go to the river and catch some easy catfish to break my ennui.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Woodpile posted:

Went fishing last weekend in the first time in ages. Surf fishing. The least productive fishing known to man and woman. Topsail, NC. Rough surf, high winds and I got skunked.

Go to the end of the pier instead. I used to night fish their every weekend and it’d top anything I did on my boat in the inter coastal waterway.

Seriously. Ten years ago there used to be a bait shop at the base of the pier. Get some baitfish or shrimp and Carolina rigs or whatever the folks there recommend you throw on the end of whatever inexpensive rod/reel setup you have and fish all night while the cool ocean breeze blows past you.

Some of the best memories I have of ocean fishing were on that pier. It’s one of the longest on the east coast. You can catch everything from drum and flounder to kingfish if you get a spot at the very end of the pier.

https://www.surfcityoceanpier.com/

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 13, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Woodpile posted:

Check my post history. I’ve made a couple effort posts about how to catch fish at the beach in a his thread. 10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish and that’s even more true about surf fishing. I’m down at Kure Beach which fishes very similar to Topsail.

What we’re you using for bait?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Hekk posted:

Go to the end of the pier instead. I used to night fish their every weekend and it’d top anything I did on my boat in the inter coastal waterway.

Seriously. Ten years ago there used to be a bait shop at the base of the pier. Get some baitfish or shrimp and Carolina rigs or whatever the folks there recommend you throw on the end of whatever inexpensive rod/reel setup you have and fish all night while the cool ocean breeze blows past you.

Some of the best memories I have of ocean fishing were on that pier. It’s one of the longest on the east coast. You can catch everything from drum and flounder to kingfish if you get a spot at the very end of the pier.

https://www.surfcityoceanpier.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. Only there for the weekend so I didn't make it to the pier. Next time.

Fresh squid for bait.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I’ve never had luck with squid. This time of year I prefer sand fleas. Or cut fresh shrimp. Do you know how to find sand fleas?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

I’ve never had luck with squid. This time of year I prefer sand fleas. Or cut fresh shrimp. Do you know how to find sand fleas?

My feet do! Very wriggly.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Anyone have a good way of getting the fish smell out of your hands after handling them other than using gloves I guess? Gonna be hitting up a lake in the BC interior this weekend for rainbows and kokanee, hopefully will be frying a few on the shore!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Angry Asian posted:

Anyone have a good way of getting the fish smell out of your hands after handling them other than using gloves I guess?

Why would you want to do that? You will rob yourself of the opportunity to make lewd jokes to your friends.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Angry Asian posted:

Anyone have a good way of getting the fish smell out of your hands after handling them other than using gloves I guess? Gonna be hitting up a lake in the BC interior this weekend for rainbows and kokanee, hopefully will be frying a few on the shore!

For trout and salmon you should be wetting your hands before touching fish you intend to release for the protection of the fish. That’ll cut down on the smell a lot.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

For trout and salmon you should be wetting your hands before touching fish you intend to release for the protection of the fish. That’ll cut down on the smell a lot.

you should be doing this for all fish tbh. fish smell on your hands means you took the protective oils from their scales, and when you release them back into the water they'll be all the worse for it

e: if you're not releasing them, but eating them instead, water on your hands still works well as noted, and i usually carry a small bottle of handsoap with me when i intend to cook at the riverside for sanitary reasons

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Ah my question was meant for handling the fish when cooking, we always make sure to wet our hands when landing and releasing them.. will try out your suggestion though!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I read somewhere that rubbing your hands on stainless steel will remove the smell of prepped foods. I don't know if there's anything to it or if it's just in my head but I think it works, for garlic smell at least. I even bought a piece of steel shaped like a bar of soap for that express purpose. I now just use the blade of whatever knife I'm rinsing in the sink, and the steel soap bar has moved to my fishing crate and gets used before handling baits, because hopefully fish fall for the same placebo I do, but not after handling fish, because I like the smell. For whatever reason that smell makes me feel things like NATURE, HEALTHY, GOOD.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Angry Asian posted:

Ah my question was meant for handling the fish when cooking, we always make sure to wet our hands when landing and releasing them.. will try out your suggestion though!

Seems silly but an steel bar might work for you. Search Amazon for amco 8402 Rub-a-Way Bar Stainless Steel Odor Absorber, Single, Silver.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Angry Asian posted:

Your Majesty, might I (your humble servant) suggest you retire to the lavatory to wash your extremities while I scatter rose petals in your path, beating back the barbarians with your diamond-encrusted St. Coix combo (a gift from the Sultan) if needed?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Woodpile posted:

Hekk posted:

It's been 20+ years since I fished there, but one week with a friend at Topsail was easily the best week of surf fishing I ever had, capped with a decent run on the Jolly Roger Pier and the Topsail Sound Pier (RIP).

Angry Asian posted:

Jig-a-Clean or some of that salt/sugar scrub. When I was a kid I would use toothpaste to get it out afterwards.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Woodpile posted:

Your Majesty, might I (your humble servant) suggest you retire to the lavatory to wash your extremities while I scatter rose petals in your path, beating back the barbarians with your diamond-encrusted St. Coix combo (a gift from the Sultan) if needed?

:lol: seriously tho

Angry Asian,

How was the fish handled prior to cooking? Fish shouldn’t be very oily or fishy. Fresh fish should be kept on ice. I use zip locks with ice above and below my filets in a large bowl for multi day storage in the fridge.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Lol i knew i was gonna get some poo poo for asking about this

We keep the fish on a stringer til we get to shore, then we gut and scale them and throw them into a ziplock bag into a cooler of ice or cook them up right away. Also forgot to mention this is at a campsite so theres no real sink or bathroom to wash up in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

tesilential posted:

:lol: seriously tho

Angry Asian,

How was the fish handled prior to cooking? Fish shouldn’t be very oily or fishy. Fresh fish should be kept on ice. I use zip locks with ice above and below my filets in a large bowl for multi day storage in the fridge.

Fish shouldn't be fishy? :iiam:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well after watching facebook market place and craigslist for sometime I was able to find a nice 8wt clearwater rod and reel for $100. Its an older 2 piece clearwater but it seems to be in good shape. it comes with a battenkill reel and spool. I plan on getting rid of the reel since it would not be good for saltwater.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I fish on the south shore of Long Island, where there are lots of canals and bays houses are built around with private docks. Its very common for boats and jet skis to come out and follow the buoys out into Great South Bay. The park I was at today has a fishing area that is facing the bay, with a channel into a small harbor on the right side. I had two rods set up for drift rig, and both were sitting in rod holders.

Out comes this guy in a small motorized rowboat, and instead of following the buoys, he turns left and runs parallel to the fishing area, not 15 yards away from the shoreline. We are all yelling at him to push further back, but he's not paying attention. Next thing I know he's snagged both my lines and they probably would have either snapped the rod or yanked them out of the holders had I not quickly cut free. rear end in a top hat did not even say sorry, he just looked confused and kept puttering on.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cimber posted:

I fish on the south shore of Long Island, where there are lots of canals and bays houses are built around with private docks. Its very common for boats and jet skis to come out and follow the buoys out into Great South Bay. The park I was at today has a fishing area that is facing the bay, with a channel into a small harbor on the right side. I had two rods set up for drift rig, and both were sitting in rod holders.

Out comes this guy in a small motorized rowboat, and instead of following the buoys, he turns left and runs parallel to the fishing area, not 15 yards away from the shoreline. We are all yelling at him to push further back, but he's not paying attention. Next thing I know he's snagged both my lines and they probably would have either snapped the rod or yanked them out of the holders had I not quickly cut free. rear end in a top hat did not even say sorry, he just looked confused and kept puttering on.

Don't throw beer bottles, that's littering.

Throw rocks

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

the yeti posted:

Don't throw beer bottles, that's littering.

Throw rocks

I'm taking satisfaction in imagining that my line and tackle fouled his prop.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I would've taken satisfaction at yeeting 10 oz of lead at his boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Summer is the worst time in texas because its hot as balls, the fishing is at its worst, and the recreation folks who come out o the lake once a year don't know any laws/etiquette.

Nothin beats being on a boat facing the shoreline, in a very polite distance from people fishing from the shore opposite of you, only to have a loving jet ski decide to blow throw that narrow area of water between you both. It makes you want to quit the human race.

Every since buying a boat, I have been hyper aware of people fishing from shore, kayakers, and other boaters that I am constantly changing course and adjusting speed accordingly on the lake. The fact people can get in a boat and just "yolo" it without any regard is insane to me.