Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i am still getting an omni-deluge of seed and series a and b startups in my inbox. no big noticeable difference but i'm currently not looking that hard

same for me but tbf i don't know if what they're actually offering has changed because i ignore them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

there's a ufo startup constantly in my inbox and if i didn't loath start up work culture i would check them out.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

champagne posting posted:

i've yet to see a place where "hiring freeze" meant anything but "time to polish my resume"

There was a headcount freeze for one division at my last BigTech job, a couple of years later that division is still doing just fine as far as I know.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DuckConference posted:

There was a headcount freeze for one division at my last BigTech job, a couple of years later that division is still doing just fine as far as I know.

but was it a pleasant place to work during the freeze?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we’re trying to build a team and have a forced hiring “slowdown” now that we’re like 1/4 staffed, it’s loving awesome let me tell you

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Lady Radia posted:

yeah, my poverty brain is literally screaming "take the money and run", that's what i'm really trying to prevent myself from doing here when i know i could be leaving money on the table.

:toot: the advice to always negotiate is correct, folks.

thanks everyone here for the well wishes and everything :)

w/r/t hiring freeze chat: i think it depends on how 'tech' the company is. the ones that don't really have products in a tangible sense are still doing gangbusters, but poo poo like fintech and the startups that still havent turned profit are pumping the brakes a lil bit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the product I work on is doing Real Well but the larger company made some bad moves so we all get to suffer

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

the product I work on is doing Real Well but the larger company made some bad moves so we all get to suffer

do the execs still get some fat comp bumps?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lady Radia posted:

w/r/t hiring freeze chat: i think it depends on how 'tech' the company is. the ones that don't really have products in a tangible sense are still doing gangbusters, but poo poo like fintech and the startups that still havent turned profit are pumping the brakes a lil bit.

:yotj:

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Lady Radia posted:

the boat I'm in. didn't stop the ceo from getting a promotion though!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Flaming June posted:

the boat I'm in. didn't stop the ceo from getting a promotion though!

what does ceo get promoted to?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

c++eo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bad

so bad

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

but was it a pleasant place to work during the freeze?

it was ok but with some downsides before, and I didn't stay very long after

quote:

we’re trying to build a team and have a forced hiring “slowdown” now that we’re like 1/4 staffed, it’s loving awesome let me tell you

yeah current team was already understaffed for all the things that people want to do, slowdown means it's gonna stay that way. i'll get to hear my second-level boss come up with lots of ways to say "gently caress off we don't have enough people for even half of that"

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

Executive chair in this case

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

:cawg:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

:barf::jj:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

interviewing: from entry level to c++eo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Asleep Style posted:

interviewing: from entry level to c++eo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ultravoices posted:

none of us escape the event horizon, but it’s way more comfortable circling the hole of capital with dental insurance and a nice apartment.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

a recruiter hit my inbox with a lead architecture role for a major gaming company where i'd be responsible for designing and leading the team building the backend for their next flagship game. i held off on saying a number so they opened with a base salary that'd be 133% my current comp. not bad. not gonna lie it sounds like a really interesting job but i've also heard horror stories about that industry so i'm gonna be very careful to sus that out

it's good to know i have my next hop prepped for whenever i decide to take that leap even though i'm pretty drat comfortable with my current gig

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a lot of the horror stories are in test and low paid development roles. by backend you mean servers right? is that a bit different or does it vary company to company too much?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i feel like backend dev isn't going to be beholden to the same kind of dumb whims as the people doing the art & narrative adjacent stuff, but thats just the vibe i get from gamedev twitter and not a fact

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hobbesmaster posted:

a lot of the horror stories are in test and low paid development roles. by backend you mean servers right? is that a bit different or does it vary company to company too much?

yeah it'd be the servers hosting the online games, matchmaking, keeping track of all the cheevs / unlocks / skins / whatever, gathering engagement metrics, stuff like that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's probably fine, the further you are from the end user the better it is

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

gamers be gamin so you'll just hear complaining about bad servers which every game has so who cares

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I'm highly skeptical that any part of gaming isn't a dumpster fire because a big part of the problem is fixed deadlines. In theory, anything that can be fixed after release should be much better than if it can't.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

how's the full remote landscape looking like now that covid is "over"?

around here (paris, fr) it seems most places are backpedaling hard and my inbox is getting stuff like "remote developer" in the title and the contents mentions like 2-3 days at the office expected. i also read that google and apple are mostly on 3 days in the office, 2 days remote but if you are special enough then you get approved for full remote

without doing a lot of research and pulling this out of my rear end i feel like this is how it is going to be for most medium to large companies: even if they hire you as a full remote, the preconditions to that are:
1. that you really are physically far from the office (but expected to come in once a quarter)
2. this is a massive privilege that can be revoked when your managers are unhappy with you
3. you are trusted with production access, but we don't really trust you without having you in the office, so anyway when the wind is blowing the other way, we will increase restrictions and you will have to work harder than in-office personnel for raises and promotions

and i guess my particular issue is also that i need my employer to have a presence in france for taxes and all that, and if they have a presence, they probably have a paris office, and then see point 1

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's an overly pessimistic view of my situation at google. my org is very pro-remote-work and there's a good grip of us - including my manager and director - who are full time remote. of course there's no guarantee that i won't get reassigned to an office, but being full remote at google is no longer a huge privilege or whatever and there's no real reason right now to think my office assignment is more likely to change now than it was when i was in sunnyvale.

it's true that lack of facetime can make things harder for promotions. but at this point my team is distributed enough that being in any particular office isn't that much of a help. other teams, orgs, and so on would likely feel this more than i do though. also i just got promoted so i'm much less concerned about this.

googles been investing in beyondcorp stuff for ages now, though. we basically won't let people have workstations with direct prod access at home, but most people are fine to have a workstation in an office or a cloud based workstation with prod access that they can reach from a client machine at home. of course this doesn't work for all jobs, but it's fine for the vast majority.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as far as i can tell, they would've been fine with me going remote and staying in the bay area (and wouldn't have docked my pay, even). but i mean half the point of going remote was so i could leave so 🤷‍♀️

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Point 3 has always been true for companies where remote workers are uncommon. Promo and raises are about connection first and work second regardless of how the company phrases it and most remote workers are going to get less facetime and connect less with their management than peers that are in the office.

Seems a little bizarre to me to not be willing to do some sort of hybrid approach if you're in the same city. It's going to be beneficial for your career to do so if the company is mostly in person.

In general I'd say that if you want full remote, then you should specifically target full remote companies only or at minimum full remote teams.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 15, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

asur posted:

I'm highly skeptical that any part of gaming isn't a dumpster fire because a big part of the problem is fixed deadlines. In theory, anything that can be fixed after release should be much better than if it can't.

I would think infrastructure at least should be similar to any other job?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Thanks for sharing, Achmed. I think it’s nice that your group is allowed to set your own rules. Our company seems to have chosen to dictate from the top, so we don’t have leeway to make things work all the way, and instead have to beg for case by case exceptions.

My comment about prod access was more conceptual: nobody has their machine directly connected anyway but during their day to day work they have access to change important things. Obviously we are trusted enough by the management to have that access and not do bad things with it.
On the other hand, by setting up a complicated system of rules for remote work, I feel
that our management is saying they don’t trust us to figure out how do our work.

asur posted:

Seems a little bizarre to me to not be willing to do some sort of hybrid approach if you're in the same city. It's going to be beneficial for your career to do so if the company is mostly in person.

I am OK with hybrid remote, it’s just that I don’t want to commit to any mandatory X days per week at the office. Currently we are expected to be there 2 days per week no matter what and I find this a little bit stupid in the context of rising covid numbers.
In addition to the 2 day rule we have a bunch of more rules which add to the overall confusion. The biggest ??? is the requirement that you can only have full remote if you live further from the office than some arbitrary commute time.

My direct manager is full remote, their manager is almost never to be seen at the office even before the pandemic, and our team is split between Tokyo and Paris. All this means that we do the motions of full remote anyway for the most part.

I guess since it’s a Japanese bigcorp, the c levels have a forever hard-on for open plan ant farm type offices where the bosses can feel good about themselves and we should be grateful that any kind of remote work is allowed at all.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

4lokos basilisk posted:

basically all the contracts I've seen so far since covid is over has been 1-2 days remote and you better like it buster!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

basically all the contracts I've seen so far since covid is over has been 1-2 days remote and you better like it buster!

This is how it is at my job too although I have heard it varies greatly department to department.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

new contract in London is 2 days every two weeks, but they're also super quick and convincingly genuine when they caveat that with 'if you're nervous about covid, don't come in'. Coming from a 100% remote contract I've been really surprised by how disappointed ive been when the team decides not to come in, but given how busy my train into work is I'm also happy to not take the chance.

apart from that the 100% remote contractor market seems pretty healthy still but it's not as good as it was last year.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what does "software tech lead" mean? is it a meaningful title on a resume?

I've been focusing on principal engineer positions because that title logically follows my other ones. i don't know enough about the context of software tech leads to know if i need to negotiate a better title

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Corla Plankun posted:

what does "software tech lead" mean? is it a meaningful title on a resume?

I've been focusing on principal engineer positions because that title logically follows my other ones. i don't know enough about the context of software tech leads to know if i need to negotiate a better title

a lead position usually comes after senior and before principal. it tends to be (but not always) the branching point where you decide if you want to go towards technical leadership or people leadership, the former is what leads into principal roles, the latter towards manager, senior manager, etc.

obviously ymmv depending on your company or wherever you're interviewing

from an interviewer perspective if i'm hiring for a lead i'm going to spend time discussing technical stuff at a higher level to see how the candidate thinks about how technology choices fit into both the work, the team, and the larger organization. i'll also spend time on discussing how they've mentored more junior engineers. finally, i'll also spend some time walking through how they take higher level requirements and break them down into engineering work, thinking through how the work can be prioritized and how dependencies, both internal and external, affect that break down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is good but there's always the caveat that titles vary a lot across organizations and that your actual responsibilities and accomplishments are going to matter a lot more than what you're called.