Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
i always thought the one in chicago was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/weirddalle/status/1547289420717490176

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/MermaidSailor/status/1547236346632216576

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i want to live in the bradbury building but i don't think that's possible

it's all office space, you could rent one out that had a shower and kitchenette and sleep there, nobody would ever know if you did it under an llc and weren't throwing ridiculous parties in the atrium every night.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if the building takes care of custodial stuff you'd also need to count on them either not figuring it out or not caring to rat you out. fooling them seems like it'd basically be impossible. but maybe you could just say "hey don't clean it, i'll do it"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

if the building takes care of custodial stuff you'd also need to count on them either not figuring it out or not caring to rat you out. fooling them seems like it'd basically be impossible. but maybe you could just say "hey don't clean it, i'll do it"

true, i tacitly assumed the building wouldn't provide that but it's definitely a complication.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

now i kinda wanna try it out though just for funsies

i imagine it'd be orders of magnitude more expensive than normal rent though

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

looks like about $3.30/sqft/month, so, considering los angeles rent, not really!

https://www.commercialcafe.com/commercial-property/us/ca/los-angeles/bradbury-building-1/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

airbnb (bladerunners n battys)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i want to live in the bradbury building but i don't think that's possible
I once got absolutely shithammered and snuck up on the roof and did the whole tears in rain speech in my underwear on the roof

I tried to go back last year but it was boarded up :cry:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I once got absolutely shithammered and snuck up on the roof and did the whole tears in rain speech in my underwear on the roof

i will donate basically any amount of money to any number of trans rights or pro choice funds for a replay of this

seriously cackling irl

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/baldur_odinsson/status/1524119224318320643?s=21&t=3yiak9ruADjrt1aYtJLiUw

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

We had somebody try to live in the office for a few months. Not sure if they fooled staff or if staff noticed but just didn't call the "somebody is trying to live in the office" hotline.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 14, 2022

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Achmed Jones posted:

I was out late drinking one night and decided to just sleep in my office and let me tell you the cleaning staff were not happy to find me passed out on the floor

I got to work on time tho so who’s to say if it was bad or not

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Your office gets cleaned? Ours gets vacuumed maybe annually.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Doom Mathematic posted:

Your office gets cleaned? Ours gets vacuumed maybe annually.

Ours gets cleaned daily, but the security room has a keypad and the cleaners don't know the code so it never gets vacuumed.

I had to start forcing people to set their trash cans outside the door because walking in after a weekend to smell someone's lunch going foul was...unpleasant.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

that rules

and yeah the temporal nature of the thing almost makes it better somehow, idk

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Would you say that that moment was lost in time?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I was out late drinking one night and decided to just sleep in my office and let me tell you the cleaning staff were not happy to find me passed out on the floor

I got to work on time tho so who’s to say if it was bad or not
ive defintely had a friend coworker who crashed at the office, but left at like 530 or 6 am before the boss came in. and then showed back up lol

fuckin trooper, i cant party like that. never been able to

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i was disappointed those mobile rehydration saline/vitamin iv services in new orleans (that are staffed by rns or whatever) didn’t open until like 11; what’s a hard charging exec to do to get ready for their 6 am meeting

cocaine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when we were splittin up a couple nights i had to sleep on the couch in the lobby and then yeah and came back later

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Analytic Engine posted:

Internet Archive is being sued by the publishing cartel over hosting scanned jpgs of books. Twitter actually has some interesting commentary for once since real-life archivists and librarians are in the crosshairs & not just nerds like Stallman or Aaron Schwar

https://twitter.com/d1puck1t/status/1546066617024536576?s=21&t=skJRIDX93yzKL68WKzlnIw

loving publishers and other middlemen are the worst and should all die

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Improbable Lobster posted:

loving publishers and other middlemen are the worst and should all die

well the internet killed travel agents and its kinda slowly killing real estate agents and its made a lot of music labels and middlemen obsolete so i feel like itll get publishers soon

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
academic publishers are hilariously corrupt & greedy, and built a massive field-independent all-profit industry on exploiting proud nerds

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Analytic Engine posted:

academic publishers are hilariously corrupt & greedy, and built a massive field-independent all-profit industry on exploiting proud nerds

so did the open source movement, only they did it by mistake.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

KoRMaK posted:

ive defintely had a friend coworker who crashed at the office, but left at like 530 or 6 am before the boss came in. and then showed back up lol

fuckin trooper, i cant party like that. never been able to

the nice (horrible) thing about overdoing it is it's like setting hell's own alarm clock in your head

you get 5 hours of being unconscious and then it's time to face to bloodshed

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea they probably hit the couch at 345 or 4am, just before sunrise lol and only got just a tease of rest, 2 hrs at most

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Anything more than two or three beers kicks the poo poo out of me and just deletes the entire following day from my life, always has.

If I had any sort of tolerance for alcohol I would surely be a raging alcoholic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Anything more than two or three beers kicks the poo poo out of me and just deletes the entire following day from my life, always has.

If I had any sort of tolerance for alcohol I would surely be a raging alcoholic.
exercise and get your a1c checked yearly

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 15, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

KoRMaK posted:

ive had some real heart to heart realizations with myself about why sometimes i end up with a 2 day hangover and some days i end up with no hangover and can go to work AND workout the next day. and the most recent one involved a perscription to help my body use insulin better. its wild

e: be careful

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: be careful

saw that pre edit now I’m wondering what happened

anyway yeah be careful. be very careful

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

well don't quote me then!! what did i say lol (dm 's are open)

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 15, 2022

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

not sure what was so risky about my post but what i was getting at was food allergies, and how foods that are sometimes ok normally, when combined with alcohol can completely cause what i think is your digestive tract to shut down so you wake up thinking you ate but none of the nutrients have been processed so you basically starved yourself AND harmed your digestive tract unintentionally and it has to repair, but like i said nutrients are acutely scarce. it's a very uncomfortable wake up.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
it sounds very frightening

i've done that with alcohol and then benadryl and woke up nearly dead

i just meant that if you have a blood sugar insulin thing you should see a doc and do OTC testing at least

death is certain but don't go it alone if you're at risk of this kind of thing

you can survive a coma if someone knows to call the medics but a lot of people get confused with the alcohol and whoopsie into the grave

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1547300660827357184

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

rotor posted:

well the internet killed travel agents and its kinda slowly killing real estate agents and its made a lot of music labels and middlemen obsolete so i feel like itll get publishers soon

Incidentally, the popularity of online hitmen-for-hire has only gone up.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jabberlock posted:

Incidentally, the popularity of online hitmen-for-hire has only gone up.

the internet is an enabling technology for this kind of direct-to-consumer service work

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1547720742103498752

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1547973813664591872?s=21&t=u2UjuA0TmbgEqQuxQ_taPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Archetapp/status/1548125003186483200

gently caress you, Twitter.