Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why argue amongst ourselves when there are the true assholes out there?

AITA for mining crypto?

quote:

He didn’t mislead them. He just didn’t say what it was.

When you get roommates you don’t normally have to answer how many jiggawatts you are going to use

Once they found out he offered to pay it back which should be fair

OP posted:

Thank you for your comment. Ill have to consider showing what you wrote to Todd

quote:

you gonna show them any of the other comments indicating that you’re clearly being a shady rear end in a top hat in this situation?

OP posted:

Yeah, someone else mentioned he’s the AH for shutting off my power and how that might be illegal. He’ll definitely be reading that one

i hope todd beats your rear end you dumb motherfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my BF I won't go for meals with him because of how he eats?

Seems fair to me, duck man can eat how he wants and OP can eat how they want, which is "nowhere near this dude."

also seems like a dealbreaker to me, but that's their business

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Girlfriend is missing out on a great opportunity with hogboy. If he doesn't care about looking like an absolute garbage monster in public, can't she record that poo poo for TikTok or YouTube or wherever you can get money for people doing stupid, obnoxious things? Mukbang is a thing, right?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

i hope todd beats your rear end you dumb motherfuck

"Ah, the one comment not calling me a dumbshit rear end in a top hat...time to make my case!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope Todd ethers that guy.

Its come up before in this thread, but the majority of shoplifters are addicts to the act of shoplifting, and depending on study they are the overwhelming majority. Needs based/access based shoplifting is a small portion, sub 10% to sub 2%. Hell people needing the money for drugs is smaller than you might think both because its inefficient and because there are people able to quit doing meth because the thrill from shoplifting was better.

This is not to say all shoplifters are vile scum, its merely to note why many people are so adverse to those who perform the act because it comes part and parcel often with other unhealthy behaviors and attitudes.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 15, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh Shahkazeramesh, will you ever learn?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why argue amongst ourselves when there are the true assholes out there?

AITA for mining crypto?

if you search for something like "bitcoin roommate" on reddit there are a lot of these stories, and they all read almost exactly the same. it seems that a core tenet of the broke-brained crypto bro libertarian is that the rules are something to be exploited against others rather than ensure fairness

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The_Franz posted:

if you search for something like "bitcoin roommate" on reddit there are a lot of these stories, and they all read almost exactly the same. it seems that a core tenet of the broke-brained crypto bro libertarian is that the rules are something to be exploited against others rather than ensure fairness

You don't say?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for pulling all my money from the account after he refused to stop making comments about me getting a job?

quote:

30F and I'm currently unemployed for the first time since I was 15. Even prior to when I would switch jobs, I already had employment lined up so there was never a break between paychecks. My husband will have dry spells where he won't work for some months at a time, get a job and hardly ever sticks with it for more than 6 months before he quits and takes a "break". I didn't quit my last job. The company went belly up and didn't tell us until people were coming in and shutting us down. I've been 1 month without a 'steady' income but I've been searching endlessly. This all came to a stand still when my husband's engine blew up in his car so now he takes mine to work and leaves me at the house. So now I need something from home and it's drat near impossible (if you know of anything remote entry level that doesn't require degrees, please let me know).

Currently my husband works Mon-Frid 8-4 and just got a pay raise/promotion 2 weeks ago. Since he got his promotion he has been breathing down my neck about me getting a job. He sees all the applications I've sent out and still comments on it, as if that will help the situation. I currently have $8600 sitting in the bank from my last job, which would pay our rent for 8 months so his comments are really starting to piss me off and I've told him several times to get off my case. I've even suggested I go and work with him because he is taking my car and making things impossible and he apparently doesn't think it's a good idea.

Anyways, he started in with the whole "my money" argument but only when it's convenient for him. Like when he refers to taxes, it's "our" money (I get significantly more back than he does) but when it comes to other poo poo, he says "my money this, my money that" and it only just started when he got the promotion. He had no problem living off my money though the entire time he was unemployed because that was "our" money. Like I said though, I have money stashed so I don't need poo poo from him. But he made a comment the other day saying "You need a loving job" and it was the last straw for me so I took my car and left to go withdraw every penny I had in the bank account and stick it in an account he can't touch. That left him with a little over $900 because the rest of the thousands were mine. He flips out and says I'm being financially controlling when in all actuality it's him. AITA?

good. next, show him whose car it is

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for ruining my brother's marriage because his wife left me at the pool

quote:

throwaway. this whole situation is so bizarre that I still can't really process it. it still doesn’t feel real but I feel scared and guilty

I (19F) had surgery a couple days ago to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth out and because I have a really bad fear of dentists, they had to drug me pretty hard to do the removal. Not like laughing gas that wears off really fast, but actual IV medicine so I was pretty much unconscious during the whole thing. They told me to have a "responsible adult" drive me to the appointment and back because the meds they gave me would make it dangerous to drive. My mom was on a work trip and couldn’t take me, so I asked my sister in law Bri (24, not her real name) if she could do it as the whole thing would only take an hour or two. I even offered gas money because the dental office is about 45 minutes away. I would have asked my brother but he works during the day while bri is a stay at home mom to their 2yo daughter who I think was at bri's mom's house that day.

Bri agreed to take me to my appointment and the surgery went fine, bri waited in the lobby for me to be done. When I came out of anesthesia I was very disoriented and nauseous, which I guess is normal. I had gauze shoved in my mouth to stop any bleeding and bri took me to her car after I was let go.

I don’t really remember much of the drive but it felt like not enough time passed before bri got out of the car and told me to come with her. I was really out of it and just followed her because the alternative was staying in the hot car.

long story short, we were at a pool?? I was really confused but once we were through the gate bri basically parked me at one of those little table-benches said she'd be back in a while. I was still trying not to puke and was really dizzy from the heat (90+ degrees) and the drugs, so I asked her to take me home but she wouldn't. I guess since it was her day off and she didn’t have my niece she was meeting friends at the pool. I was starting to feel really sick and on the verge of passing out or having a panic attack, so I called my brother. I don’t think he could understand me between the meds and the stuff in my mouth because he hung up and I guess called bri because she came stomping back over, cussing and yelling at me, and took me back to the car. I passed out on the drive home, but when we arrived my brother had left work and met us in the driveway. He was screaming at bri and she was crying. I was still pretty disoriented but my brother took me back home and stayed with me until the meds wore off. That's when he told me he's divorcing bri because of what she did plus some other things he didn’t go into detail about.

It's been a few days since then and bri has been blowing up my phone telling me what a bitch I am and how me tattling destroyed her family. Part of me feels bad because of my niece and I wonder if I should've jjst dealt with it and waited for her to be done at the pool instead of calling my bro and causing problems.

AITA??

OP posted:

Oh wow I didn’t expect this to blow up like this. Thank you all for the reassurance it really does help. I still don’t know what my brother meant by "other things" but if I find out I'll post an update. Thank you all again, it means a lot.
:f5:

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

jesus christ I cannot imagine coming out of general anesthesia and being forced to do anything other than go home and lay down in a quiet room, SIL is a phenomenal piece of poo poo

also as far as "other things", I'm assuming she's probably not mother of the year if this is how she treats an adult that just needs sane transportation home from a routine medical procedure

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

i've spent a bit of time under anesthetic lately, and even though i recover from it better than OP does, if someone did this to me they'd be getting murdered just as soon as my head was clear

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for pulling all my money from the account after he refused to stop making comments about me getting a job?

good. next, show him whose car it is

Top comment agrees with you.

quote:

"You know what? Tomorrow I'll drive around and hand out resumes using MY car. Then I'll take MY money and find a place to stay, because I'm not interested in a relationship where I'm supportive when you don't have a job for months on end, and you're being an rear end in a top hat right back the second I'm without one. Enjoy YOUR money and YOUR car"

NTA

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

jesus christ I cannot imagine coming out of general anesthesia and being forced to do anything other than go home and lay down in a quiet room, SIL is a phenomenal piece of poo poo

also as far as "other things", I'm assuming she's probably not mother of the year if this is how she treats an adult that just needs sane transportation home from a routine medical procedure

When I broke my right ulna, they put me under to put in a titanium bar. I woke up to a nurse shoving my mobile in my face, with my wife on the other end - I was 'WTF, why are you doing this to me?!?'. I'd been insistent apparently a short while before that I needed to call my wife, but I DID NOT remember that conversation, so it was a bit harrowing.

In short, gently caress the SIL.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When I got my wisdom teeth out I had to be fully put under instead of a local because apparently I found the procedure hilarious and couldn't stop giggling. I have no memory of this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Getting knocked out for my wisdom teeth removal felt like the best nap ever, also I halfway woke up in the middle and dreamily thought the surgeon had crawled inside my mouth and was bashing my teeth out with a sledgehammer, and it was still a pleasantly relaxing experience :drugnerd:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I got high (THC) before they then pumped me full of nitrous and they had clouds painted on the ceiling so I went flying in happy little clouds while they pulled my upper wisdom teeth out (no lowers)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The last time I went in for a colonoscopy I remember drifting off in a completely loopy haze from the twilight medication and just prior to losing consciousness leaving the colorectal surgeon with the parting words of "have a look and see if you can find my missing car keys".

Not proud of that low hanging fruit.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When I got my wisdom teeth out i insisted to the dentist and my mom that I was fine to drive home (obviously they didn't let me). Apparently I talked the entire car ride back but I have no recollection of that. Also I swallowed way more gauze than I probably should have.

When my ex got hers out, I took her to get antibiotics and then straight home. In retrospect I probably should have taken her home first, and that was on me. But anyway about 2 seconds after she laid on the couch she passed the hell out for a few hours. It was kinda cute.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Some of my wisdom teeth were impacted and had to be broken down for removal. The local anesthetic was not completely successful, and the dental surgeon was an rear end in a top hat, mocking me for making "I'm in pain" noises. So that was fun.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for banning my brother from family events after he paid and took my son for a nose job?

quote:

My son is 18 and always had an issue with his nose. Okay, it's slightly hooked but it's not ugly or causing problems. He asked for money to get a nose job. I said no. His mom said no.

My brother was very tight with him and promised him the best graduation present ever. We were thinking an oscillating fan or a gift card. I thought nothing of it.

He got him a nose job. It was this big secret that I didn't know. He actually lied about being at his mom's and lied to her about being at my house then saying he was at his friend's when he was at my brother's for a week after the procedure.

When I saw my son, he looked like he'd been slugged in the face. I thought he was joking when he said he got his nose job.

My brother said he did nothing wrong, just did what me and his mom couldn't do and paid for it and and accept it because our son is not a little kid.

It's as if I don't recognize my son. My son says he's "happy" with it but it's not even close to being healed.

I feel so betrayed that I banned my brother from coming over.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am a touch late on the shoplifting chat, but I want to put out that "it isn't hurting anyone" isn't 100% correct, depending on the company. I'm not going to roll over on someone doing so, and especially wouldn't judge someone for stealing necessities. But the hourly employees are often the ones who bear the brunt of the reaction in some companies, when the person stealing isn't caught, due to the items coming up as shrink. If bad enough, this can include losing their jobs.

So in the end, while I will absolutely turn a blind eye to people shoplifting necessities and won't report someone stealing other poo poo (though I will judge the gently caress out of them) because gently caress it, and "gently caress corporations" is basically one of my mottos.....I have little sympathy for someone, even a teenager, playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mx. posted:

AITA for banning my brother from family events after he paid and took my son for a nose job?

"The best graduation gift ever"

"An oscillating fan or a gift card"

:raise:

"Congrats on graduating high school! Here's a $20 oscillating fan from Target!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I recommend the gift card, in case they prefer the option of a box fan instead

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for refusing to take care of “my kid”?

quote:

My friend(26F) and I(26M) go back since elementary and we have been close friends since then. Our family’s are also close so I don’t have any attraction to her as a gf I see her like a sister. Most of my gfs have been ok with her and I try to make it clear the divide we have as friends. My fiancé is close friends with my friend and has been friends with her since before our relationship and so it hasn’t been any issues until now.

Recently we had a get together where my friend said she couldn’t drink since she was pregnant. We were all shocked since she was single and she admitted she fooled around with her ex and that might have gotten her pregnant. Her ex is across the country and an rear end in a top hat so she really f’d up her life with this. I asked her if she was going to keep the baby thinking she might not but she exclaimed she would because I could help her raise it.

My gf stared at her and I managed to ask why she thought that. She said we were best friends so I would be the father and help raise the child. I asked her “where did you get that idea?” And she got annoyed and said you are always there for me and already like a husband so I should be there for her son like a father. I was shocked because yes if she need help with her car (I use to be a mechanic) I would help since she makes min wage and can’t afford one. But I didn’t think she would take it as me wanting to be her child’s father or help raise it.

I took a deep breath and told her I would always be her friend but Im not the father so I’m not helping to raise her child and I’m not going to take a father role. She got mad and yelled at me for “abandoning” her and started crying and a few of my friends were shaking their heads and called me later to tell me I should have been nicer. I felt like if I was nicer she wouldn’t have gotten it and I wanted to make the situation crystal clear. My fiancé is mad because obviously it’s caused a huge mess. My saving grace is that my fiancé and I were in another visiting her family and traveling for the month when the baby was conceived so no one thinks I’m the actual father. My friend has been trying to call me and I’m not sure if I should respond.
:allbuttons:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If they're going to college and will be staying in a dorm then they will absolutely want the oscillating fan.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Mx. posted:

A friend of mine was in this position and ended up getting her nosejob while on a months long trip in Europe in her 20s, so brother did a good imo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wasn't there one semi recently that attempted something like hey, you've spent time with my kid, you're the dad now! I kind of respect the boldness of just going for it before the kid even shows up in person

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Captain Hygiene posted:

Getting knocked out for my wisdom teeth removal felt like the best nap ever, also I halfway woke up in the middle and dreamily thought the surgeon had crawled inside my mouth and was bashing my teeth out with a sledgehammer, and it was still a pleasantly relaxing experience :drugnerd:

Getting put under for an operation when I was eighteen is the only memory I have of falling asleep and it was wonderful as the lovely nurse put a blanket over me. Unbeknownst to me I was starting a twenty-year stint as an insomniac and the memory kept me going.

DemoneeHo posted:

My sister isn't letting my niece babysit anymore

Slate is a treasure trove of advice columns but I don't have access to everything, which is why I am only share this much of one letter

quote:

I am a grandmother to two little girls, ages 6 and 7. After the enforced separation of the last few years, they are finally having sleepovers at Grandma’s house! While getting ready for bed, I saw they were keeping their underwear on under their pajamas. To be clear, these weren’t the “pull up” underwear for nighttime protection; these were the standard cotton briefs they wear during the day. When I gently queried this, I was told that “Mommy says this is what we do.”

Why the hell would anyone not wear underwear under their pajamas unless they're going to wash the pajamas afterward? Also, why the hell is this an issue worth writing to an advice column about? Kids' mom wants them to wear underwear with their pajamas, end of story.

eta: If you reload the page and scroll down and read fast you can see the whole column, and apparently this is a real thing where you let the vaginal area "breathe"? I've literally never heard of this, and I've worn underwear under pajamas my entire life and never had any problems. Nor even clean underwear unless it's after a shower. Just the underwear I'd been wearing all day. What the hell is going on?

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 15, 2022

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I always wonder how they think this is going to play out. An ex tried to do a similar thing to me and seemed defeated when she realised it wasn't going to work like in the movies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some of my wisdom teeth were impacted and had to be broken down for removal. The local anesthetic was not completely successful, and the dental surgeon was an rear end in a top hat, mocking me for making "I'm in pain" noises. So that was fun.

gently caress bad dentists.

Al my life I went to dentists who were just brutal because I didn't know there were any who weren't. But I recently started seeing one who prescribes valium before you go in. Holy poo poo, it's life changing. Absolutely zero stress, barely remember anything.

Just gently caress bad dentists.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I didn't know my pediatric dentist did wisdom teeth removals!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mine yelled at me when I was crying. Great times.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trickybiscuits posted:

Getting put under for an operation when I was eighteen is the only memory I have of falling asleep and it was wonderful as the lovely nurse put a blanket over me. Unbeknownst to me I was starting a twenty-year stint as an insomniac and the memory kept me going.

Slate is a treasure trove of advice columns but I don't have access to everything, which is why I am only share this much of one letter

Why the hell would anyone not wear underwear under their pajamas unless they're going to wash the pajamas afterward? Also, why the hell is this an issue worth writing to an advice column about? Kids' mom wants them to wear underwear with their pajamas, end of story.

eta: If you reload the page and scroll down and read fast you can see the whole column, and apparently this is a real thing where you let the vaginal area "breathe"? I've literally never heard of this, and I've worn underwear under pajamas my entire life and never had any problems. Nor even clean underwear unless it's after a shower. Just the underwear I'd been wearing all day. What the hell is going on?

you can look at a lot of paywalled stuff, including slate, by just turning on noscript for a bit. anyway this one isn't too terribly interesting:

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

I am a grandmother to two little girls, ages 6 and 7. After the enforced separation of the last few years, they are finally having sleepovers at Grandma’s house! While getting ready for bed, I saw they were keeping their underwear on under their pajamas. To be clear, these weren’t the “pull up” underwear for nighttime protection; these were the standard cotton briefs they wear during the day. When I gently queried this, I was told that “Mommy says this is what we do.”

My daughter-in-law is a wonderful woman and I’m certainly not to question any of her parenting decisions, but this goes completely counter to what I was told growing up. Back then (a long time ago), it was generally accepted that it was not healthy to wear underwear to bed, particularly when also worn with pajamas, as everything in the vaginal area needed to air out to avoid possible UTIs and yeast infections, etc. We live in the coastal Pacific Northwest, so it’s not particularly hot or humid here, but I am still concerned as to whether the wearing of daytime cotton briefs under pajamas is a potentially unhealthy practice or not.

—Briefless in Seattle

quote:

Dear BiS,

I scoured the web, and the repeated advice from OB-GYNs (such as the one cited here) is that loose-fitting cotton underwear is fine for sleeping, while synthetic fabrics or anything else that prevents air from circulating down there can lead to yeast infections and other uncomfortable outcomes.

However, you should make sure the girls are wearing fresh underwear to bed, and not the same funky pairs that they’ve had on all day. Sleeping in the same panties you’ve had on for hours can have exactly the same consequences that you’re worried about. You should keep extra undies on hand for your granddaughters; though they’re way past potty training, they are still at that age where they can get a bit of pee in their panties without automatically thinking they need a fresh pair.

Talk to them about the importance of staying clean and dry down there, and make sure they wear clean drawers to bed each night. If it turns out that they are sleeping in their day-old undies at home, you can politely talk to your daughter-in-law about the importance of changing for bed.

—Jamilah

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
My childhood dentist refused to give us novocaine when drilling out cavities.
I haven't been to the dentist in 20+ years now

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Seth Pecksniff posted:

no no no, you don't understand:

OP posted:

He wanted one with a remote instead of a floor fan

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

21st Cherry boy posted:

My childhood dentist refused to give us novocaine when drilling out cavities.
I haven't been to the dentist in 20+ years now

Oh hey. Mine did, but they were apparently lovely at it to the point of being useless. I didn't realize until way into adulthood that getting fillings wasn't normally an extended torture session, I assumed that was just how things worked even after anesthetic. Fun times getting a phobia for life!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I don’t wear undies with my pajamas. It’s not based on science or anything, it’s based on some half remembered thing I heard in my teens about having too many layers of fabric in the crotchal region encouraging bacteria and yeast, and I’ve just been free-flapping in my Jim jams out of habit ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Horsebanger posted:

I always wonder how they think this is going to play out. An ex tried to do a similar thing to me and seemed defeated when she realised it wasn't going to work like in the movies.

was she a horse