Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm also guessing a lot of the reason Lexus/Infiniti sell so poorly/don't sell in Europe is good, old-fashioned, racism.

750 million people are racist against a brand not even sold here? Also why would you spoiler that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

I think this is a much more common benefit in Europe than it is in the US. It seems like it's fairly common for even lower/middle European management to have a car allowance. Presumably this is partly to offset lower salaries/higher taxes (is this benefit taxed?), and I'm sure there's a decent argument to be made for helping prop up a country's internal manufacturing base (ie, German/UK car manufacturers). Presumably the car allowance encourages workers to switch out cars more often than they would otherwise.

I'm also guessing a lot of the reason Lexus/Infiniti sell so poorly/don't sell in Europe is good, old-fashioned, racism.
Everyone in my company gets a car after a few year, at least in the German offices. Here you have to be a people manager or have a certain level of seniority/expertise.

I think the governments do it to prop up industry, and the companies do it to provide compensation that gets taxed less than income.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Until the late nougts, buying local in Europe was the only way to get timely spares. Buying Japanese or god forbid Korean would mean spares would be there in months or being reamed by the dealer for expedite shipping.

Yeah this is true. Also, you generally have to buy from a few standard equipment levels with very limited customization, as opposed to local brands where you can spec every detail to your liking and order from the factory. People spending high end Merc or Porsche money can be very specific about the details of the car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PBCrunch posted:

Do Europeans not care as much about the relative fragility of locally-manufactured cars because they just don't pile the miles on?

This is complete nonsense, BTW. The average European car is as reliable as any other car for daily driving. I've had Japanese, Italian and French cars, all were equally reliable and required a minor fix here and there, but nothing catastrophic. The most dramatic repair was the Peugeot that broke its clutch throw out arm, but it was 17 years old at that point, and it was a simple repair.

The only European cars that get imported to the US are the (relatively) fancy ones, the high performance models and/or models with tech features and gimmicks. Those are relatively unreliable, no matter if you're in the EU or the US.

But you don't get the Renault Meganes or the Peugeot 308s or the Opel* Corsas. You do get VWs, but argue if you will, it's actually a premium brand, with all the issues that entails (VW engineers love to overcomplicate everything).

On average, Europeans drive around 18-20K km/year, and it's not like the sides of the roads are littered with broken-down cars. A lot of people drive from Scandinavia to Italy, Greece, France and Spain on vacation every summer.

*The US did get Opels, rebadged as Saturns and Buicks. From what I've read, they were completely unremarkable and average, which is exactly the type of car that is Opel's specialty.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Ford is a mainstream brand, right? And they brought some Euro Fords to the US, low-end practical cars like the Fiesta and Focus that you cannot argue are premium, luxury, or complicated, but had the worst transmissions we've had in more than 20 years, with multiple lawsuits about them, buybacks, and more. Ergo euro cars are crap.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mobby_6kl posted:

Everyone in my company gets a car after a few year, at least in the German offices. Here you have to be a people manager or have a certain level of seniority/expertise.

I think the governments do it to prop up industry, and the companies do it to provide compensation that gets taxed less than income.

Figured taxes were a part of it.

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

750 million people are racist against a brand not even sold here? Also why would you spoiler that lol

https://www.lexus.eu

Heh.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Ford is a mainstream brand, right? And they brought some Euro Fords to the US, low-end practical cars like the Fiesta and Focus that you cannot argue are premium, luxury, or complicated, but had the worst transmissions we've had in more than 20 years, with multiple lawsuits about them, buybacks, and more. Ergo euro cars are crap.

They were mostly sold as manuals in Europe and worked just fine. The 6-speed powershift is undeniably poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, the perfectly decent Euro Fords got ruined by Ford US, because that's what they do best.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah I was gonna say 99% of every focus or fiesta in the uk will have a manual gearbox lol

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I think this is a much more common benefit in Europe than it is in the US. It seems like it's fairly common for even lower/middle European management to have a car allowance. Presumably this is partly to offset lower salaries/higher taxes (is this benefit taxed?), and I'm sure there's a decent argument to be made for helping prop up a country's internal manufacturing base (ie, German/UK car manufacturers). Presumably the car allowance encourages workers to switch out cars more often than they would otherwise.

In Germany, it’s extremely favorable: you’re taxed on 1% of the list price per month if you use the car for both business and private purposes (plus some change for your commuting distance). On a 50K car, that means you’re taxed on 500 bucks, so the out of pocket translates to maybe 200 bucks. Seeing as company cars usually come with a fuel card, that’s a German car with unlimited miles and fuel for 200 bucks a month. Plus, generally, you’ll get a new one once you hit 60K miles or so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fridge corn posted:

Yeah I was gonna say 99% of every focus or fiesta in the uk will have a manual gearbox lol

be that as it may the DSP6 was a Ford Europe / Getrag JV product

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJov5Ju7QA
I guess I hadnt really paid attention to the segment, but I figured the Bronco Raptor and Jeep Wrangler 392 would be pretty evenly matched.
The Jeep is no joke.

I think Id take the Defender if I had the money to afford any of them. I know the G Wagon is king, but I just dislike the way it looks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Franco Caution posted:

I guess I hadnt really paid attention to the segment, but I figured the Bronco Raptor and Jeep Wrangler 392 would be pretty evenly matched.
The Jeep is no joke.
They're not and they're not trying to be.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Franco Caution posted:

The Jeep is no joke.

I think Id take the Defender if I had the money to afford any of them. I know the G Wagon is king, but I just dislike the way it looks.

Jesus Christ, Chrysler literally knows how to do one thing and one thing only and that's put an enormous engine into a steaming pile of poo poo, and we still get worked by Zee Germans.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

bird with big dick posted:

Jesus Christ, Chrysler literally knows how to do one thing and one thing only and that's put an enormous engine into a steaming pile of poo poo, and we still get worked by Zee Germans.
TBF, squeezing a huge engine into a car was historically AMG’s thing too. Just with more zeros at the end of the price.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Chryslers entire mantra seems to be “stick a hellcat engine in it.”

I’m waiting for the Town & Country Redeye.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Give me a hellcat Omni Shelby

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back when I was in highschool, my friend whose dad was a "hotrod guy" -big block in every car they owned except one- once told me something like "Chrysler makes the fastest cars, ford the toughest, gm the most luxurious".

This was the mid-late 90s and we were both car geeks, but he'd grown up around it, but I never cared *that much* until I got to highschool.

Just something that stuck with me all these years.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Elephanthead posted:

Give me a hellcat Omni Shelby

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hyundai-n-vision-74-first-look-build-now/

Build it exactly as it is you loving teases!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Looks Good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That looks more 1980s than a Lamborghini Countach.

And could probably run circles around one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If they build this as is, I will sell my loving Aston to finance the purchase if I have to.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KillHour posted:

If they build this as is, I will sell my loving Aston to finance the purchase if I have to.

They won't.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know :negative:

Edit: I'm pretty sure Hyundai has the best designers in the entire car industry. Do they make anything bad looking anymore?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yes

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KillHour posted:

I know :negative:

Edit: I'm pretty sure Hyundai has the best designers in the entire car industry. Do they make anything bad looking anymore?

The elantra/i20N sedan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laserface posted:

The elantra/i20N sedan.

Fine but the N hatch makes up for it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Sonata is not good either. It looks like it's melting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Do not, my friends, become addicted to great concept designs. They will take take hold of you, and you will resent their absence come production time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2zKAX53OyQ

I balked as soon as he opened the hood and saw it was FWD based. Why use the name Crown?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Is the entire rear end piano black plastic?

At least there's no capacitive button bs inside.

lol 28mpg

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was like "Oh it's an electric car" as soon as I saw that front end but apparently not? Did they just decide that the engine doesn't need air?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I have no allegiance to the "Crown" nameplate as I'm in the USA but woof, the dude calling it a 'sedan' when its obviously a crossover, that raked back eliminating headroom for ~reasons~ and it just being so standard ugly-boring. Looked it up and this specific crown is straight up the "crossover type Crown" there there is the sport, sedan (lol) and estate to be released later.

Also weird because traditionally the Toyota Crown was the top Toyota model behind the Century, and this certainly doesn't seem to be in that place. Suppose now that's for Lexus even though there is no Lexus Century, weirdly.

Looks just like everything else. When did manufactures decide that large, centered model names across the entire rear were back? Everything seems to do that now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's FOUR Crowns now, ladies and gentlemen. Crossover, Sport, Sedan and Estate. The gently caress are Toyota even doing?

https://twitter.com/supcat/status/1547858682708340736?s=20&t=diKq04SWVqjxpXoiZQq_jw

https://twitter.com/supcat/status/1547859490678091776?s=20&t=diKq04SWVqjxpXoiZQq_jw

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I still remember my first real concept to production disappointment was the Dodge Magnum, that was the first car I really followed once I was making enough money to possibly buy one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
JDM models, branding, and distribution have always been loving nuts and difficult to understand. Toyota’s just doing their thing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The gently caress are Toyota even doing?

Making the GR Yaris and GR Corolla, for which all other sins are forgiven.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fknlo posted:

The Sonata is not good either. It looks like it's melting.

Never really understood this criticism, the front grille looks like a catfish's mouth but the rest seems completely normal? Maybe I'm just used to it. The Elantra the only thing I really don't like is the doors that look pre-dented from the factory.

Hyundais used to look really boring until they hired Luc Donckerwolke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yikes, the Crown is not appealing at all.

We have a (refundable) deposit down for a hybrid Avalon being delivered, last year made, if we like it we're gonna grab it. Sedans are a dying breed.