Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

Drydocks are when the ships float in space with scaffolding around them

The scaffolding is still wooden, though, and workmen sit on precarious edges eating their lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

my space dock brings all the ships to the yard
and they're like it's bigger than yours yar's

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lmao I didn't expect this anime energy beam tug of war poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's why ds9 is the best

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Profit and Lace is beyond wild lmao

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Ousted Ferengi leader calls upon you to change sex to help regain power is some peak Ferengi debauchery.

I love it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
All the Ferengi centric episodes of DS9 are really good especially if Brunt shows up

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Liquidator Brunt. What an amazing title.

If you think about it, it's actually pretty neat that the folks in charge of Trek at the time were able to do such a good reverse course on the Ferengi as a species from the mealy mouthed threat of early TNG. When did it happen exactly? Was it all DS9? I can't recall any later TNG episodes featuring them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ferengi popped up quite often in tng. there was the wormhole, the age regression, bev's murder mystery, etc. oh, and who can forget picard's sex tourist adventure?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the ferengi popped up quite often in tng. there was the wormhole, the age regression, bev's murder mystery, etc. oh, and who can forget picard's sex tourist adventure?

drat you're right. I've memory holed almost all of those. I'd categorize the age regression one as early "violent enemy" Ferengi. Or do they talk about selling the ship or something? Maybe it's borderline...

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

They were a lot more like rear end in a top hat capitalist bandits in TNG rather than just rear end in a top hat capitalists as in DS9.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'd like a Voyager sequel where we find out all the Hirogen we met were just rich children who had nothing better to do than hunt for sport and that the majority of the species is like extremely good at iron chef style kitchen competitions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

External Organs posted:

drat you're right. I've memory holed almost all of those. I'd categorize the age regression one as early "violent enemy" Ferengi. Or do they talk about selling the ship or something? Maybe it's borderline...

they seized the ship through trickery and intended to sell the crew as slaves. that's why the only ones left on the enterprise were children.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they seized the ship through trickery and intended to sell the crew as slaves. that's why the only ones left on the enterprise were children.

Truly, life in Ferengi space pre moogi-reform-era was a nightmare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I assume Grand Negus Rom was assassinated, like, 5 seconds after DS9 ended

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

His contract is probably 100% loopholes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PostNouveau posted:

I kind of assume this as well.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

PostNouveau posted:

For centuries afterwards Ferengi children would burn effigies of Rom the Incompetent on the anniversary of his very public lynching/delobing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He might've inherited a Secret Service from Zek far more competent than Rom himself was. I'd assume Zek was wily enough to keep himself from getting shot, and unless he actively wanted Rom to die he was probably also smart enough to not just throw him to the sharks.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Never go up against the Nagus when profits are on the line!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

He might've inherited a Secret Service from Zek far more competent than Rom himself was. I'd assume Zek was wily enough to keep himself from getting shot, and unless he actively wanted Rom to die he was probably also smart enough to not just throw him to the sharks.

The daily bidding wars for bodyguards to assassinate their charge or not must be insane.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Initially Rom was potrayed as a total idiot but this changed in later seasons where it turns out he's really good at engineering.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Initially Rom was potrayed as a total idiot but this changed in later seasons where it turns out he's really good at engineering.

They didn't know what to do with him initially.

I'm pretty sure he existed because they wanted Nog but they didn't want Quark to be a father.

The episode where he has a plot to murder Quark seems unthinkable a couple seasons later

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

They didn't know what to do with him initially.

I'm pretty sure he existed because they wanted Nog but they didn't want Quark to be a father.

The episode where he has a plot to murder Quark seems unthinkable a couple seasons later

Yeah, DS9 definitely had to "figure out" Rom more than most characters.

Uncle Scrooge McQuark

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Olewithmilk posted:

They were a lot more like rear end in a top hat capitalist bandits in TNG rather than just rear end in a top hat capitalists as in DS9.

That's because by definition any Ferrengi they run into on TNG is out and about, doing banditry.

DS9 Ferrengi are either on their home world, or where they've set up shop.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

How many days travel is it from DS9 to Ferenginar? I bet it’s not far.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hollismason posted:

There is even a scene in DS9 S1 "Babel" where Odo deduces Quark is lying about Rom fixing the replicator because "Rom couldn't fix a straw if it was bent." I think it's actually Heart of Stone that introduces Rom as an engineering genius.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

How many days travel is it from DS9 to Ferenginar? I bet it’s not far.

It's implied to be relatively close, although not as close as, say, Cardassia. But it's in the area, not, like, on the other side of the Federation. (Actually, that might be why the Federation and Ferengi didn't have formal contract until recently: maybe it's just on the far side of Cardassian space and they didn't get a direct route through until Cardassia pulled back from some stuff at the start of DS9) (and it was like 3D in such a way that shut up)

The exact flight time, weeeeeeelll, DS9 and Star Trek in general always kinda fudged flight times anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 15, 2022

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

What's that old screenwriting adage about sci fi and westerns? "Spaceships and horses move at the speed of plot."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

There is even a scene in DS9 S1 "Babel" where Odo deduces Quark is lying about Rom fixing the replicator because "Rom couldn't fix a straw if it was bent." I think it's actually Heart of Stone that introduces Rom as an engineering genius.

Most Ferengi have the lobes for business - Rom has the lobes for picking up random scraps of processes and knowledge he overhears,.

Working at Quark's and just idly listening he was able to pick up all sorts of useful education about engineering and women's fashion, it just took a bit to fit all the jigsaw pieces into a useable framework for a knowledge base. and until that happened, he had to soldier on, trying to be ferengi as best he could.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I think Rom being a engineering savant was supposed to be there from the start but he was very occasionally ruthless and ambitious before that was completely ejected from his character in season 3. I guess you could argue that kind of comes back in the union episode but even that stemmed from his revised generally kind-hearted traits.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rom being good at engineering was definitely something they didn't come up with until season 2 or 3. I dunno, maybe he fixes a holsuite in season 1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
quark was originally more adversarial and rom was his treacherous henchman. when the first part changed the second had to too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rom was a real jerk when DS9 started and I am glad they revamped his character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
DS9 was cool because it fleshed out the Ferengi in such a way that it showed how they were not all just like pirates and capitalist. Nog even joins Starfleet, but still keeps wheelin and dealin.

Nog had a good potrayal on DS9

Although he went from not being able to read to being in Starfleet in a few years.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Hollismason posted:

DS9 was cool because it fleshed out the Ferengi in such a way that it showed how they were not all just like pirates and capitalist. Nog even joins Starfleet, but still keeps wheelin and dealin.

Although he went from not being able to read to being in Starfleet in a few years.

Ain’t no rule in Starfleet against having a side hustle.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I can appreciate that Rom ended up married to the hottest woman on DS9 and the ruler of his people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

External Organs posted:

Truly, life in Ferengi space pre moogi-reform-era was a nightmare.

TNG was never in Ferengi space, was it? One way to reconcile their earliest portrayal with the DS9 ferengi is that those guys were bandits in the wilderness. Probably didn't have the lobes for business.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I love that Nog is an exceptional officer -because- he's Ferengi. Everyone else is buried under red tape while he's flowing through the Great Material Continuum. All time episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hearing how DS9 went through so many revisions with wild changes to characters out of left field I am amazed it did so well overall.