Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If you read through the thread he uh heavily implies he watched his step-son die ODing. So I can't blame her too much

Wait holy poo poo did Scott Adams say that he Walter White'd his loving son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Endless Mike posted:

If you read through the thread he uh heavily implies he watched his step-son die ODing. So I can't blame her too much

he clearly means "watched him die" in the way that you watch an addict die over a period of time. he didnt literally stand there and watch him die. come on

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

fun hater posted:

he clearly means "watched him die" in the way that you watch an addict die over a period of time. he didnt literally stand there and watch him die. come on

I wouldn't put it past Scott Adams to literally watch someone die and not help for whatever reason he could rationalize in his own head.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

https://www.ktvu.com/news/creator-of-dilbert-talks-about-stepsons-apparent-fentanyl-death

here's an article from when it happened in which adams is frankly ghoulishly gratuitous and disrespectful to a kid who just died. you dont have to write fanfiction about a man who is already loathsome to the core. there's enough about him to hate that isn't born from a very dumb assumption

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to murder your child outside of self defense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to murder your child outside of self defense.

I mean Anti-Vaxxers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

edit:, jesus chrsit, I'm gonna post that that at a lighter moment

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 7, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
probably referring to this, but someone in the replies says that Adams apparently said in the past he wasn't actually present

https://twitter.com/tadpr0le/status/1544770885508206592?t=2B8J4VgYsURS_ebD1gjZGQ&s=19

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
From what I remember, Adams has worked to give himself an image as some kind of influencer/hypnotist, so I think part of the deal is that his reasoning is that if he couldn't change his step-son's trajectory, then it must have been impossible and the child's fault.

He's an absolute poo poo person. Addiction is tough, addiction is serious, and the only way anyone good ever survives is by supporting folks and being supported.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I say as a person in recovery that Scott can go gently caress a cactus.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing is Adams is pretty loving incapable of seeing a third option of people actually helping those with addiction because needing help is a sign of weakness followed over with some other MAGA style bootstraps bullshit,. So yes, he would rather his family members died then doing anything to help them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Madkal posted:

The thing is Adams is pretty loving incapable of seeing a third option of people actually helping those with addiction because needing help is a sign of weakness followed over with some other MAGA style bootstraps bullshit,. So yes, he would rather his family members died then doing anything to help them.

There are plenty of people in his replies saying people like myself aren't human and should be killed. That's awesome. I know that a lot of my fellow americans feel that way, but it sure feels lovely to see it over and over again. Boosting that kind of POV is the kind of poo poo that should get someone deplatformed in my opinion. It costs lives. People don't seek treatment because they feel less than human already and seeing it reinforced just keeps them out there slowly killing themselves.

This is my soapbox, apologies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s against government interference but also wants the government to interfere and lock up his son because he thinks imprisonment is the only cure for addiction?

he’s a huge loving moron.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

There are plenty of people in his replies saying people like myself aren't human and should be killed. That's awesome. I know that a lot of my fellow americans feel that way, but it sure feels lovely to see it over and over again. Boosting that kind of POV is the kind of poo poo that should get someone deplatformed in my opinion. It costs lives. People don't seek treatment because they feel less than human already and seeing it reinforced just keeps them out there slowly killing themselves.

Believe me, there are plenty of people on the same page as you. I'm pretty sure at least a third to half of this forum has people saying every day that they are inhuman monster pedophiles who deserve to die.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Believe me, there are plenty of people on the same page as you. I'm pretty sure at least a third to half of this forum has people saying every day that they are inhuman monster pedophiles who deserve to die.

True.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Joe Fisto posted:

While I am not in the same situation I completely empathize with you on this. Right now my brother in law is in need of treatment but despite all my wife and her family do he has resisted the urge to go and my wife thinks it is due to a low self esteem and the way he sees himself as not worth saving. It is sad, both for him and for the family which has been trying to do everything they can to support him (even to the point of my mom in law getting evicted from her last place).
To bring this back to Adams, gently caress him. Maybe supporting his step-son instead of thinking of him dead as a good thing because he would have been a mass shooter for some reason is some extremely hosed up thinking.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure at least a third to half of this forum has people saying every day that they are inhuman monster pedophiles

I know SA populations are falling, but I don't think the mods make up a third of the forum.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Fisto posted:

A whole lot of people out there have made the decision that maintaining a beautiful moral fixture and pattern, of whatever shape, is worth a shitload of dead and hurt actual people. I think one of the things that keeps me coming back to comic books is that generally speaking this attitude is not encouraged in the narrative, one way or another

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
People who think addicts should die/are worthless have a ghoulish, anti-human attitude that contributes to the problems they think they're stopping. Social support is one of the most important contributors in a lot of studies to the odds of maintaining sobriety/stopping substance abuse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsPearl posted:

People who think addicts should die/are worthless have a ghoulish, anti-human attitude that contributes to the problems they think they're stopping. Social support is one of the most important contributors in a lot of studies to the odds of maintaining sobriety/stopping substance abuse.

I mean that is true of much ghoulish behavior. If people really cared about stopping abortion they'd be all in on sex ed, birth control and welfare programs. If they cared about drug addiction they'd be all in on rehab programs and education. They don't care about anything but the pain they cause.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think this might be the thread to ask but what exactly is going on with Oni Press?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From what I know of it, they were bought by some company in 2019, laid off a bunch of talent then, then over the past few months have shed almost every exec that remained and then today laid off a bunch more (the rest of the?) talent.

Apparently with no warning, including them like cancelling panels at SDCC next week and giving up their booth space.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

they have no money lol

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Here’s their statement

https://twitter.com/onipress/status/1547739804099497994?s=21&t=xfSN-zZad5xhqTnn0eYWjw

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

This… this doesn’t say anything

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We are proud to announce that we will be unlocking the full value of our intellectual property through our partnership with Celsius Network and releasing NFTs for all your favorite Oni Press (tm) intellectual properties!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They're also not paying creators owed royalty payments.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Their website is still set up for Pride month

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're being stripped of parts

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gripweed posted:

Their website is still set up for Pride month

They also published Gender Queer, which has been demonized by the right as part of the current transphobia/“grooming” crusade, and are facing an obscenity lawsuit over it, so great timing!

https://bookriot.com/virginia-politicians-sue-oni-press-and-maia-kobabe-over-gender-queer/

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Would it shock you to hear that their PR staff was included in the lay-offs?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

JordanKai posted:

Would it shock you to hear that their PR staff was included in the lay-offs?

Not one bit.

I'm glad I bought Gender Queer before this happened, it would feel a bit off to give them money now. That aside, GC is a great book.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
lovely but not exactly surprising given all we've heard about Marvel's compensation to creators

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1549779733574852608

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s wild how little marvel fans give a poo poo about how exploitative Disney/Marvel is, then turn around and feel self righteous against “toxic fan culture”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ruddiger posted:

It’s wild how little marvel fans give a poo poo about how exploitative Disney/Marvel is, then turn around and feel self righteous against “toxic fan culture”

Did you know? Both things can be bad simultaneously

Disney/Marvel being exploitative does not forgive "fans" for complaining that they dared to hire a non-white male actor for a part and actively attacking the actors.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I never said both things weren’t bad. I said Marvel fans feel self righteous while ignoring or deflecting from the toxicity in their own fandom. Show me a marvel fan critical of the racism and toxicity within marvel movies and the fandom that champions those films, please.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I never said both things weren’t bad. I said Marvel fans feel self righteous while ignoring or deflecting from the toxicity in their own fandom. Show me a marvel fan critical of the racism and toxicity within marvel movies and the fandom that champions those films, please.

You can look up any discussion of Ms Marvel or Black Panther to see plenty of that. Tryimg to claim the literal biggest franchise in the world at the moment has fans who are nothing but toxic and racist or accepting of toxic racists is a he'll of a stretch.

My sibling, who is NB and queer as hell' grew up with Marvel films and I can promise I know from talking to them that people go the gently caress off on shitheads.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 20, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Please don't use a story about how exploitative the Walt Disney company is as a springboard to complain about Marvel film fans like they're a hivemind. There is no path to a good discussion from that kind of jumping off point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, ascribing certain traits to fans of Marvel films is almost like complaining about fans of "sports ball" at this point.

Also whatever terrible stuff Disney does, I'm pretty sure there are several sports organizations that are much, much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, ascribing certain traits to fans of Marvel films is almost like complaining about fans of "sports ball" at this point.

Also whatever terrible stuff Disney does, I'm pretty sure there are several sports organizations that are much, much worse.

Not sure if worse Disney is pretty horrible but yeah sports organizations are bad just look up Dan Snyder.