Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

muscles like this! posted:

Something weird I've noticed about the recent Assassin's Creed games is how they're okay with nudity, as long as it is none of the main/major characters. Which is annoying not because I need to peep some polygonal titties but because it is really distracting to have a scene where a character should be naked but they're wearing raggedy fantasy underwear.

My favorite part is where DaVinci hangs song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Days Gone is aggressively acceptable. It's fine. It works. A perfectly passable game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CordlessPen posted:

If I remember Days Gone's release right, it went from being overhyped by Sony to being sort of overly panned in retaliation, and then became a minor cult hit, so depending on when you bought the game or what you'd heard about it, you'd either be disappointed that this AAA Sony exclusive felt really cheap, pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad or slightly disappointed but at that point you probably got it for free.

The thing that irked me the most about Days Gone was how the game forces you to scavenge. I get that, as a zombie game, it wants the player to have to manage resources, but instead of making gas and ammo rare, they're everywhere but you can't carry any of it. It's downright silly how many gas cans there are strewn about but you can't carry one on your bike and apparently your gas tank only holds one quart because before upgrades you can 0 rive about 1 mile before you have to refuel.

Same with ammo; you can find plenty but you can only carry a laughable amount with you. I remember upgrading the pistol at one point and not being able to carry a whole extra magazine. I had like 12 bullets in my gun but could only carry 10 extra. Is a full magazine too heavy to carry so I have to pull 2 bullets out?

Yeah, I'm finding that frustrating tbh. I have a scavenged assault rifle and after hitting up various abandoned police cars I'm currently carrying full ammo which... Is like two extra magazines beyond whats in the gun? Maybe not even that? If weight is the issue then maybe deacon could carry less scrap which is literally everywhere in favour of carrying more bullets. And my bike has a full gas tank, but theres plainly room on the back where you could easily attach a spare gas can to stop having to find more on my tediously long drive to the next objective. I guess bungees dont exist after the freaker apocalypse. Or maybe he needs to find a loving blueprint to give him the idea of attaching a thing to another thing.

And I'm in the "Got it for free post cult hit resurgence" group, so I'm taking an attitude of just extracting the fun I can from it, giving it a decent chance, but if it doesnt pick up its ideas by the mid game I'll just delete it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

You do later get the grand idea to bungee stuff to the back of your bike in DG, but never a gas can. I didn't feel bad at all about saving my zombie dollars and buying one of the DEATH STRANDING tie-in DLC gas tanks from the first vendor I levelled up, they had max capacity and suddenly life was smooth sailing.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Days Gone was sufficiently enjoyable that I would buy a sequel.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I ended up liking Days Gone far more then I thought I would. The crafting resources thing is strange, as you can get credit to buy military grade weapons and gas easily, but you can't buy some cans or bottles. I needed to make those napalm molotovs and didn't want to ride around for 2 hours to find growlers.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

CitizenKain posted:

I ended up liking Days Gone far more then I thought I would. The crafting resources thing is strange, as you can get credit to buy military grade weapons and gas easily, but you can't buy some cans or bottles. I needed to make those napalm molotovs and didn't want to ride around for 2 hours to find growlers.

I liked the game as well. I also thought the crafting materials for napalm were very scarce compared to other items, so I almost never used them.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I would absolutely buy a motorcycle racing game that uses the driving physics from Days Gone. Once you've upgraded it, that bike is so much fun to drive around

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The story from Days Gone has some pacing problems. You finish the Ripper stuff and then start up an entirely new story almost completely disconnected from what you were doing before. Also the PS4 version made my PS4's fan go so hard it sounds like something is about to break.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The worst part about Days Gone was the guy's dumb loving hat. The few times he took it off I was like, oh poo poo there's this sexy protagonist who just looks like a grown child most of the time because of the hat.

Also: I live in Oregon and my father was a biker. These guys are hahaha not at all what bikers are like. Yeah, I mean, you got tats and a shaved head and you drink a lot, but did I hear the N word a single time in that game? Was there a scene where everybody loses their eyebrows because of a meth lab fire? I know it's the zombie apocalypse but biker habits don't just go away

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

muscles like this! posted:

The story from Days Gone has some pacing problems. You finish the Ripper stuff and then start up an entirely new story almost completely disconnected from what you were doing before. Also the PS4 version made my PS4's fan go so hard it sounds like something is about to break.

Even in the first part of the game the pacing is off. It starts with a flashback to the day Deacon was seperated from his wife, then you do a bunch of stuff, then a while later you get a flashback to him meeting his wife, which... I honestly dont know if their interaction was intended to be filled with awkward pauses, or if its a failure of directing because they needed the bike to drive a bit further before the next dialogue triggered. Which would make sense if I was controlling the bike, but I'm not so it just makes it feel kind of off. Half a dozen missions later you get a longer flashback about the same night he was seperated from his wife which starts earlier... And then ends up giving you the exact same information about the seperation that the first flashback did. I dont know if that is down to them having zero confidence in their audience (or their storytelling) but the whole thing smells to me like trying to cobble something coherent together out of what they had.

Compounding this, theres lots of little story beats where the timing feels off. Like I recovered some stolen drugs (the introductory mission chain, which is fairly lengthy and interrrupted by a few side quest prompts) and Deacon muses "Now just to decide who to hand them over to" which... At this point I wasnt really aware there were two options, I've only been to one camp where the guy asked me to track the drugs down. Then to finish the mission you drive quite a long way across the map to meet up with the owner of the OTHER camp who Deacon already knows but I, the player, dont. So you THEN get the choice of who to hand them over to. Its basically "Give them to the guy you've already done several missions for and built up some camp reputation who's halfway across the map, or this person you've never met who is just here". Surely the way to do this is to have the starting mission send you back and forth between the two, THEN find the drugs and have to make a choice.

And theres been a couple of missions which are basically "Haul off to the place. Now a 3 line cutscene will happen. Now go away, the mission is over.", and in once case that literally left me with no missions to do for a decent chunk of time before the next in the chain popped up which didnt feel intentional. Feels like there was a missing "Huh, she doesnt seem happy here, I should get her something to cheer her up" at the end of the cutscene rather than Deacon suddenly getting that notion 75% of a tank of gas later.

credburn posted:

The worst part about Days Gone was the guy's dumb loving hat. The few times he took it off I was like, oh poo poo there's this sexy protagonist who just looks like a grown child most of the time because of the hat.

Also: I live in Oregon and my father was a biker. These guys are hahaha not at all what bikers are like. Yeah, I mean, you got tats and a shaved head and you drink a lot, but did I hear the N word a single time in that game? Was there a scene where everybody loses their eyebrows because of a meth lab fire? I know it's the zombie apocalypse but biker habits don't just go away

I mean, I'm having my issues with the game, but I dont think the main character dropping the N-bomb would make any of them better tbh.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SiKboy posted:

And theres been a couple of missions which are basically "Haul off to the place. Now a 3 line cutscene will happen. Now go away, the mission is over.", and in once case that literally left me with no missions to do for a decent chunk of time before the next in the chain popped up which didnt feel intentional. Feels like there was a missing "Huh, she doesnt seem happy here, I should get her something to cheer her up" at the end of the cutscene rather than Deacon suddenly getting that notion 75% of a tank of gas later.

I mean, I'm having my issues with the game, but I dont think the main character dropping the N-bomb would make any of them better tbh.

There is definitely some story triggers that only happen if you are driving around. I hit a weird stretch where I was doing a lot of fast travel and short rides that weren't long enough to activate whatever starts missions. I started to think something was broken, because I had no missions for awhile, and then I finally had to ride some distance away and then everyone called. And kept calling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
days gone had a lot of cuts - there was a whole morality system excised at some point and the flashback sequences were definitely intended to be full missions

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lmao Days Gone is legit one of my favorite games I think I've played recently and I agree with all the complaints itt but especially the last one. Deacon is SO POPULAR. By the end I was just laughing my rear end off at receiving three "KSHHT Deek?"s in a row every time I rode out of a hub. Heart and soul oozes out of that game's performances and attention to detail by the developers but man do you gotta play one hell of a generic open world game to experience those diamond parts.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

SiKboy posted:

or if its a failure of directing because they needed the bike to drive a bit further before the next dialogue triggered. Which would make sense if I was controlling the bike, but I'm not so it just makes it feel kind of off.

This reminds me of the part in MGS V where the big bad and you are being driven in a car as the guy monologues at you.

Except the drive is quite a bit longer than his speech so at the end you both just awkwardly sit in the car for a few minutes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have lately been getting into Tower Defense games and am getting irrationally irritated at how many of them mention Warcraft III as being the progenitor of tower defense when we were making the exact same style of maps in Starcraft all the way back in 1998. We just didn't call them tower defense but they were the exact same concept. And it wasn't like there was just a few of them; there were hundreds.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

This reminds me of the part in MGS V where the big bad and you are being driven in a car as the guy monologues at you.

Except the drive is quite a bit longer than his speech so at the end you both just awkwardly sit in the car for a few minutes.

I wonder if the audio track was longer in Japanese.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

Cranking some Europe while taking care of base administration duties is awkward now?!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

credburn posted:

I have lately been getting into Tower Defense games and am getting irrationally irritated at how many of them mention Warcraft III as being the progenitor of tower defense when we were making the exact same style of maps in Starcraft all the way back in 1998. We just didn't call them tower defense but they were the exact same concept. And it wasn't like there was just a few of them; there were hundreds.

When I was in college, back in 2003 or so, I had one class where I always sat in the back near the power outlet, and the other guy who also used the outlet would sit in front of me. So I would spend the lecture watching this guy play starcraft custom maps on his laptop. More than a few times I watched him play this one particular tower defense map where the game took up half the map, and the other half was obscured, and the longer you survived, the more of it was revealed, and it was, of course, a picture of a naked lady. I never saw him get far enough to actually reveal the naughty bits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something that I see very rarely, but sucks every time I do, is when a game makes the input for an important part of the game harder than it should be to execute.

I decided for some reason to start playing the Devil May Cry series from the start, and I don't know if later games improved on it, but they really shouldn't have made the launcher two buttons and a motion input. I'm pretty sure the game doesn't even use all the buttons on the controller, they REALLY could've benefited from putting it somewhere less annoying to press given how important the launcher is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Devil May Cry kind of pioneered a lot of poo poo for spectacle brawlers and those awkward controls are very improved by 3.

Which you should play next. Please I beg you don’t play 2.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bussamove posted:

Devil May Cry kind of pioneered a lot of poo poo for spectacle brawlers and those awkward controls are very improved by 3.

Which you should play next. Please I beg you don’t play 2.

I'm only one boss into DMC1 (well, I haven't even killed the thing yet thanks to not understanding it and grappling with the janky camera, but I did get to it), I have time to decide.

Right now my plan is 'play enough of DMC2 to both learn why it's bad and piss off my DMC-liking friends'.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

I'm only one boss into DMC1 (well, I haven't even killed the thing yet thanks to not understanding it and grappling with the janky camera, but I did get to it), I have time to decide.

Right now my plan is 'play enough of DMC2 to both learn why it's bad and piss off my DMC-liking friends'.

I've come to learn that saying "DMC2 is canon thanks to 5" is often enough to make DMC fans mad. People really, really, don't like 2. It's a bad game but it also introduces a lot of really small, and largely inconsequential things, that 3 just takes, makes functional and good, and then just leaves the rest to rot. But people do, indeed, get weirdly annoyed if you point out the few things 2 introduced to the series instead of just joining the "2 sucks no one should ever acknowledge it" crowd.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

moosecow333 posted:

This moment becomes even funnier when you realize Skull Face is talking to the wrong person.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cleretic posted:

You really should play a bit of two, just to realise that a lot of what people like from 3,4&5 comes from building upon stuff from 2 and not 1. Be warned though, it's still has tons of issues.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I just started dmc5 and its probably the corniest game I've ever played in my entire life. I got up to the point where you start playing as hot topic kylo ren and you charge your devil trigger by reading from a book of poetry.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You must be mistaken, the good things thread is thataway.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

exquisite tea posted:

You must be mistaken, the good things thread is thataway.

Nah , the V parts are pretty bad, they should've just gone full Chaos Legion.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DMC2 is objectively pretty bad, but I played it recently on the collection and liked it enough to go through all difficulties and most secret rooms. It's very basic, often to the point of being boring, both in level and encounter design and your basic moveset, but sometimes hacking away at a tank for five minutes while watching sth on the other monitor is what the brain craves.

I do not recommend doing this, but you might get a similar kind of enjoyment from it that I did. Just remember: when in doubt, simply shoot things with your basic guns. If it's annoying to melee, don't.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm playing dark souls remastered for the first time immediately after playing Elden ring and the absolute lack of cognitive dissonance I have getting annoyed at dark souls for taking exhausted consumables out of my hot bar instead of letting them sit there on zero after the exact opposite thing annoying me about Elden ring is sure something

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

credburn posted:

I have lately been getting into Tower Defense games

Any good ones?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nuebot posted:

I've come to learn that saying "DMC2 is canon thanks to 5" is often enough to make DMC fans mad. People really, really, don't like 2. It's a bad game but it also introduces a lot of really small, and largely inconsequential things, that 3 just takes, makes functional and good, and then just leaves the rest to rot. But people do, indeed, get weirdly annoyed if you point out the few things 2 introduced to the series instead of just joining the "2 sucks no one should ever acknowledge it" crowd.

Oh, so it's like Dark Souls 2, except it's actually bad instead of just a bit disappointing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As much as DMC fans get angry about the Ninja Theory DMC reboot, everyone except the most insane fans agree that DMC2 is the worse game.

The DMC reboot is a perfectly acceptable character action/spectacle fighter, especially the remaster on PS4 that fixed some gameplay things, it's just not a good DMC game.
DMC2 is a loving awful game on the other hand.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Oh, so it's like Dark Souls 2, except it's actually bad instead of just a bit disappointing.

It's not even necessarily that it's bad but it's just a completely rushed out and botched project. There's a shell of a game that was supposed to be, but everything is half-baked. Gameplay especially is just very flat and dull, some enemies don't even have functioning AI and path-finding.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Something that I see very rarely, but sucks every time I do, is when a game makes the input for an important part of the game harder than it should be to execute.

It's not terribly important generally but several Ys games have a dash jump move that's incredibly finnicky to pull off. You have to like tap a direction, let go, then press attack then press the direction again, and if you get the timing a little bit wrong it doesn't work.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cleretic posted:

Bad? I think the general consensus amongst serious fans is that DS2 is the best game in the series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the consensus among all right thinking people of the world

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Serious Souls fan here checking in:

DS2 stinks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Souls 2 is for the gamer who appreciates ambition, experimentation, and innovation at the cost of polish. Dark Souls 3 is for the gamer who rewatches cutscenes overlaid with sad piano music and cries actual man-tears when the gargoyles drop you into the undead settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls 2 is for the gamer who appreciates ambition, experimentation, and innovation at the cost of polish. Dark Souls 3 is for the gamer who rewatches cutscenes overlaid with sad piano music and cries actual man-tears when the gargoyles drop you into the undead settlement.

It's sad violin music.

Dark Souls 2 was piano-centric.