Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yugioh doesn't have any lore.

Get out of here Tewart!

Cleretic posted:

This is, what, the fourth sprawling multi-archetype universe that hasn't appeared in the anime?

The major storylines so far are

Duel Terminal 1
Duel Terminal 2
Duel Terminal 3
Dracoslayer
World Legacy
The Abyss
Clear New World

So seven of them.

Some of them may show up in that new manga they're doing that's focusing on card storylines though.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sangan alone has more lore than most Magic the gathering sets.

I do love the fact that the Forbidden and Limited List is a canonical location within the Yu-Gi-Oh universe, that actual creatures get sent to and released from.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, what actually is the Adventurer engine in terms of the cards I should be looking for? I figure I should probably pull for them, I just need to know what the hell they are.

The rest of the selection pack's unfortunately a little disappointing, but I wouldn't hate if Gunkan or Magikey somehow became meta enough to be worth building. And a Dragonmaid structure deck, which... I'm sure somebody wanted.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

So, what actually is the Adventurer engine in terms of the cards I should be looking for? I figure I should probably pull for them, I just need to know what the hell they are.

The rest of the selection pack's unfortunately a little disappointing, but I wouldn't hate if Gunkan or Magikey somehow became meta enough to be worth building. And a Dragonmaid structure deck, which... I'm sure somebody wanted.

Max out on rite and enchantress 1 journey 1 gryphon 1 dracoback.
This gets you an omni-negate and a spin every turn.

Rite and enchantress (by extension, journey) start the engine. Gryphon and dracoback are the payoffs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Water Enchantress of the Temple banishes itself from hand or GY to get Rite of Aramesir, special summons itself from hand to be link material if you already have an Adventurer on field, and would search the field spells when on field but they're not worth it.

Rite of Aramesir summons the token and searches Fateful Adventure.

Fateful Adventure protects whatever has Dracoback on it from battle, searches Dracoback when you summon, and can cycle your hand for Adventurer related monsters, particularly Wandering Gryphon Rider.

Dracoback the Rideable Dragon can bounce a card once per turn if it's equipped to an Adventurer (or any other non-effect monster you have lying around) and once per turn, if it's sent to the GY from anywhere, it equips itself to an Adventurer.

Wandering Gryphon Rider summons itself from hand for free if you have no monsters or an Adventurer, and if you have an Adventurer, it can shuffle itself back into the deck to negate any card or effect activation.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yugioh doesn't have any lore.

I dont know or care about any of it, but its def there for those who want

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mandatory lesbian posted:

I dont know or care about any of it, but its def there for those who want
Check THIS out!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I would probably watch a yugioh lore anime but as i understand it most of it is in light novels or something? Which werent translated

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Check THIS out!

Oh yeah that poo poo sucks lol, vanilla creatures only benefits are to give flavor about the setting and they just blew that lol

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
There have a manga about Sky Striker now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cleretic posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Max out on rite and enchantress 1 journey 1 gryphon 1 dracoback.
This gets you an omni-negate and a spin every turn.

Rite and enchantress (by extension, journey) start the engine. Gryphon and dracoback are the payoffs.

Do note that some builds do run 2 gryphon for synchro plays/extenders. Also foolish burial basically counts as another water enchantress since you can send her and then banish her.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hope is a girls name

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't care too much about the Albaz storyline, but is neat that with it and stuff like the Sky Striker manga around it doesn't feel like the main game is missing out too much for not having an anime anymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

W.T. Fits posted:

It's still wild to me how Duel Monsters has such a rich, deep well of lore that it draws on for its various archetypes, and pretty much none of it is ever actually featured in the anime.

Wish granted, all YuGiOh storylines will now be about monsters playing card games.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I like the Albaz storyline a lot and to a much lesser extent the World Legacy storyline but removing them from the context of being YuGiOh card art and turning them into a full series would just make them fairly generic fantasy anime.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What you do is you create a spin-off game that the card art characters use to fight, and then sell THAT game, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
New festival confirmed for the 19th! The EX-Zero festival, main deck only. So, have fun True Draco.

The loaner decks are all the stuff from the latest selection pack. Machina, Floowandereeze, and Adventurer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You, a loser: true dracos time

Me, a legend: monarchs is here

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Megaliths.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Finally, an excuse to play Floo!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't need an excuse. Embrace making one of 3 possible plays over and over again every turn

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If the data miners werent lying The floo pre-made deck is garbage. Like it runs slower swallow a bird whose gimmick is to special summon itself.

Special summon in a floo deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Can you still normal summon a flo bird after you play the swallow at least? Remarkable anti-synergy either way

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Can you still normal summon a flo bird after you play the swallow at least? Remarkable anti-synergy either way

No floos are all You can't special summon the turn you use the effects not can't ss for the rest of the turn. Meaning using a floo locks.you out of special summons and special summons lock you out of floo effects.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dabir posted:

Megaliths.

They limited both of the 4* Megaliths to one card each. It's going to be a little difficult to get them out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

poo poo, they're learning

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Prank-kids adventure is quite the deck lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Did you know you can just shove dpe into it, as if the omni-negate and unsummon werent enough

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Prank-kids is the clearest example of unreasonable deck design I've ever seen. There's bigger bullshit in the game, but prank spell it out for you. "Any of our interchangeable main deck monsters is the combo, the combo gives us a quick field nuke, go gently caress yourself".

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Everything is a floodgate and a board clear.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the way they just write it out on the cards. "Using this thing for a summon is better than free lmao" yeah the card designers just gave up trying huh. Four cards that just read "gas gas gas", it's the eurobeatdown over here

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its pretty dumb yeah. Idk why they thought semi-limiting rocksies was enough, that literally doesnt do anything since the other cards are also starters at 3 (and im only playing two of each anyway since thats still 8 starters in the deck for pranks)

Also since enchantress and rite are also starters thats like, a fourth of the deck starts plays of some kind. Its a loving stupid deck lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you just ran 3 of each PK card and filled the rest with terrible vanillas or something, you'd have an 8% chance of not seeing a combo starter in your opening 5. 4.5% going second.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have been really enjoying the Adventure engine now that I've started using and exploring it. Sure, some decks are just disgusting with it, but I like that it's basically just a self-contained set of generic staples that tag each other in, and a few neat toys that some decks can go nuts with.

Talking to a friend, I couldn't help but really love that her Plunder Patroll deck, someone else's Phantom Knights deck, and eventually my own Unchained deck all combo with different parts of it in different ways.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's kinda thematic too. Like the adventurers are going around the world meeting all these different decks. Like Floo's lore. Hmm, wonder how well they'd work with Mecha Phantom Beasts...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Eg, i think maybe griffin is too easy to come out but then again sword souls is also incredibly easy to get baronne out so...idk

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Baiting video name but it shows off why the combo is strong and the deck list is at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdnwx35mmQM

So this is basically an OCG world champ's decklist but slotting in some TCG tech they had banned and it is horrific. It's terrifying.

MD's weird in-between banlist is the wild west and it's making Dark Magicks possible. we need to pick a lane.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oof that guy is hella annoying lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gotta say I've seen that Rose Adventurer Tenyi list brick a lot while playing against it. Not super surprising when it's on what, like 9 or 10 dead draws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Gotta say I've seen that Rose Adventurer Tenyi list brick a lot while playing against it. Not super surprising when it's on what, like 9 or 10 dead draws?

That's why decks in the tcg actually boosted their deck count up towards 50-60, so that they'd draw into the bricks less often and could stuff in more handtraps too