Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: In literary criticism armchair psychoanalysing a complete stranger is quite normal.

The images add zero things to this. Should have been a blog post or something else that I won't bother reading.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Slimy Hog posted:

The images add zero things to this. Should have been a blog post or something else that I won't bother reading.

:ok:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Remember when smbc had jokes?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

WWI. he was entirely open about it. that's much of the reason he doesn't glorify the fighting and does glorify the food.

this kind of key-fits-lock symbolism/interpretation isn't really practiced outside of high-school lit classes. not even humanities scholars are freudians anymore, or even straight-up marxists in a sense that's recognizable. it's impenetrable poststructuralist stuff of a few different flavors, or whatever they're calling it now. for professors more closed engaged in teaching a variety of undergrads, close reading with an eye on history and biography. depends on the school, situation, program, class, whatever, but nobody is going to tell you eg that the Phantom is garroting people because Leroux is scared of vaginas.

"Freudian literary criticism tells us not as much about the work as it does about the reviewer. And it tells us not as much about the reviewer as it does about Freud." -- Charles Brewer

Who the gently caress said anything about Freud or key fits lock symbolism. I'm taking about the fact that nothing springs fully formed from nothing, every creative work is influenced by a creators life and experiences, and it finds its way into the work in various ways, subtly or not, consciously or not. That's just how it is, and it's fun and interesting to speculate.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Also, thanks to the principle of Death of the Author, you can interpret it however you want. Is Amigara Fault about the idea that the transition to adulthood makes us all into distorted perversions of our true selves? Sure, why not? Or maybe it’s about how capitalism offers us a place in the world and then forces us to stretch and twist into horrid abominations just to survive. Or maybe it’s about how the playdoh spaghetti maker toys are real fun with the shape changer add-ons so you can make square and star shaped noodles

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

How much did I have to cheat that last panel? About this much(dead link). And it's still not even right -- she climbs up the building a few windows further down, away from the plaza.

I tried a reverse angle(dead link) but it seemed weird to have her so prominent in the frame considering I've kept her out of the storyline this whole time.

Hi. How are you? Nice to see you.

Jeff, aka Jeff, of Jeff fame (The Internet's Jeff!), is doing a comic over at PHW called Rave Man, if you haven't seen it. I was looking at the fourth installment(dead link) and realizing how good his comics always look. He's really brilliant with his staging, his angles, and his composition (not to mention his posing and Photoshopping). When I look at his stuff I always wish I hadn't confined myself to 300x300 pixel squares.

When I started up Steam tonight, there was some news about an upcoming update for the "Train" map for Counter-Strike and also some mild gameplay changes in the future.

Yes, they're making small some changes to the "core" gameplay of CS. Man oh man oh man, the CS forums are gonna be FUN to read over the next few weeks. I can't WAIT.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wtf is this

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I like talking about what may have influenced someone to create a work of art. Even if it's reaching or totally wrong, just discussing how it makes you feel could potentially help someone else reading it work out their own feelings on a subject and go on to create their own work. I think critiquing published work by well known individuals is not inherently creepy. Creepy would be like digging thru the guys garbage or stalking him irl.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 12: 1-13 of 33

Qualia the Purple
Episode 12: 14-22 of 33

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Who the gently caress said anything about Freud or key fits lock symbolism. I'm taking about the fact that nothing springs fully formed from nothing, every creative work is influenced by a creators life and experiences, and it finds its way into the work in various ways, subtly or not, consciously or not. That's just how it is, and it's fun and interesting to speculate.

your mom did.

no, the post 2 above yours, the lovely SMBC. I was addressing that and the idea that the Enigma is actually secretly about adolescence. I thought it'd be clear I had switched talking about the earlier stuff. sorry about that.

of course the zeitgeist influences stuff. I was arguing against the stuff where people just kind of make up stuff. speaking of which...

Kit Walker posted:

Also, thanks to the principle of Death of the Author, you can interpret it however you want.

I'd argue that Barthes, or at least later interpretations, meant that the work is by definition constructed each time it's read, not that it's adrift in history, but unfortunately, due to death of the author, I cannot support this idea

e: to put in another way, the Silent Hill series is actually about circumcision:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2015/12/video-game-site-oddly-fixated-on-circumcision.html

also relevant and on topic:

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jul 15, 2022

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

https://twitter.com/thejenkinscomic/status/1547983382977449994

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Empty Sandwich posted:

your mom did.

no, the post 2 above yours, the lovely SMBC. I was addressing that and the idea that the Enigma is actually secretly about adolescence. I thought it'd be clear I had switched talking about the earlier stuff. sorry about that.

It's actually a great SMBC according to my interpretation. No, you can't see my interpretation, it's private.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's actually a great SMBC according to my interpretation. No, you can't see my interpretation, it's private.

you know who else was really concerned with privacy? smoked a lot? known for sitting while someone talked on a couch?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The good SMBCs would be better if he cut 50% of the panels.

The bad SMBCs, like that one, would be better if he cut 100% of the panels

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

your mom did.

of course the zeitgeist influences stuff. I was arguing against the stuff where people just kind of make up stuff. speaking of which...

I'd argue that Barthes, or at least later interpretations, meant that the work is by definition constructed each time it's read, not that it's adrift in history, but unfortunately, due to death of the author, I cannot support this idea
Ah gotcha, no worries lol

Empty Sandwich posted:

you know who else was really concerned with privacy? smoked a lot? known for sitting while someone talked on a couch?

She's gonna wake up with a bad cramp in her neck

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I meant to post this at the end of Amigara Fault. I heard that it was supposed to be a metaphor for going from childhood to adulthood. How your thinking changes, what you value changes, and how growing up can twist and deform the childlike wonder with which you view the world. I dunno, that seems pretty cynical and lame to me and I don't even know if there's anything to that take but it's stuck with me for all these years and I think about it every time I see the comic.

I never read an analysis of it, but I always presumed it was about addiction or obsession. How one thing can be completely banal to you, but to someone else, it basically unlocks something in the mind that completely reroutes what they were doing with their life. Maybe because seems to be a tailor-made purpose that they didn't know they were lacking. Either way, being unable to turn back means that time and pressure eventually take their toll, and the person ends up fitting the addiction rather than the other way around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ultrafilter posted:

My favorite Whomp strips are the ones that show Agrias is just as dysfunctional as Ronnie. She hides it better but it's there.

And sometimes just as eldritch. Though I think it doesn't help that she's genuinely fascinated with Ronnie. Given her job I'm pretty sure she sees him as a strange and interesting creature with particular needs.

Also for Amigara Fault I honestly had more of an almost Lovecraftian horror story feel to it, where the terror is in the unknown and ancient that does things to people, drawing them in with a strange fascination to do something horrifying to themselves, with alien purpose, and you assume it kills them but the reality is so much worse.

Though horror in particular is prone to allegory like that. Apparently Stephen King didn't realise til it was pointed out to him that The Tommyknockers was a pretty good allegory for drug addiction.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought it was a parable so you didn't stick your dick in the toaster or anything else weird just because it was the right shape

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Where do you buy your toasters? Asking for a friend

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I tend to like the SMBC's people post as examples of SMBC being bad. :shobon: They're wordy but personally that isn't necessarily an inherent problem if the words are interesting and/or fun.
Sorry for missing Trixie yesterday! I was busy playing TTRPGs. I'll get back to it in a bit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Boba Pearl posted:

I thought it was a parable so you didn't stick your dick in the toaster or anything else weird just because it was the right shape

this raises questions

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm sorry about your bread shaped dick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OR5f3W2t6k

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also for Amigara Fault I honestly had more of an almost Lovecraftian horror story feel to it, where the terror is in the unknown and ancient that does things to people, drawing them in with a strange fascination to do something horrifying to themselves, with alien purpose, and you assume it kills them but the reality is so much worse.

Though horror in particular is prone to allegory like that. Apparently Stephen King didn't realise til it was pointed out to him that The Tommyknockers was a pretty good allegory for drug addiction.

Lovecraftian by way of Ramsey Campbell.

Hempuli posted:

I tend to like the SMBC's people post as examples of SMBC being bad. :shobon: They're wordy but personally that isn't necessarily an inherent problem if the words are interesting and/or fun.

I read SMBC every day. I don't care if it's bad. It's usually good for a mild chuckle.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hempuli posted:

Sorry for missing Trixie yesterday! I was busy playing TTRPGs. I'll get back to it in a bit.

no, you fool, you rube, people already said it was bad! You can't just come in after somebody says something's bad and say you thought it was good!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Post poste posted:

I'm sorry about your bread shaped dick.

Don't be I loaf it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

I dunno, the layers comic had a lot of conceptual meat to it. Like yeah the body horror is :catstare: ofc but it's also a very clear metaphor for the mom's hosed up relationship with her kids. I think Gyo demonstrates that he's not above doing weird hosed up horror for its own sake and viewed through that lens that's all that Amigara Fault seems to be but now that I'm reading about more of his ouevre I'd be willing to buy that there's some subtext to Amigara Fault.

a hole in the earth waiting for you where you can shuck off all responsibilities (and clothes) and no matter what you do, you'll end up there.

nah not seeing any kind of metaphor here

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Obviously Amigara Fault is a commentary on interpretations. Everyone approaches it with some idea of what it means, and by jove will they find a slot for their particular impression somewhere on the wall and they will push and stretch it until it fits, caring not that the thought that comes through will be something horrifying and twisted and all the more alien because one can still barely tell it came from a human.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Speaking of Hangin' Out, the creator started a prequel comic

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

i do not care for this comic's portrayal of asian americans

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shageletic posted:

wtf is this

For twelve years you've been asking: Who is Reading Sonic? This is Sonic fans leaking.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Obviously Amigara Fault is a commentary on interpretations. Everyone approaches it with some idea of what it means, and by jove will they find a slot for their particular impression somewhere on the wall and they will push and stretch it until it fits, caring not that the thought that comes through will be something horrifying and twisted and all the more alien because one can still barely tell it came from a human.

What a twisted and horrifying idea

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Where do you buy your toasters? Asking for a friend

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LoneGratefulCougar-mobile.mp4

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

a hole in the earth waiting for you where you can shuck off all responsibilities (and clothes) and no matter what you do, you'll end up there.

nah not seeing any kind of metaphor here

The hole-goers are all young adults. The geologists, rescue workers, and media crews are all visibly older, and are not called to the holes. Coming of age transformation fits (this is my metaphor! it was made for me!)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Guys, it's about cats.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
New Garfield looking grim

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
PRR PRR PRR JON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

The hole-goers are all young adults. The geologists, rescue workers, and media crews are all visibly older, and are not called to the holes. Coming of age transformation fits (this is my metaphor! it was made for me!)

lol