Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i dig it

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rainbows are part of the landscape, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see a rock so you're in the clear.

AND a tree.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Found a roll from winter

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

last one especially looks very oversharpened, how are you scanning?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Lab scans. I can find out more, but the jpg should be straight from the negative to scanner to imgur. The film lab I used doesn't do any post processing unless I ask, as far as I know. Almost everything I post is uncropped and unprocessed. If I make a print for someone I will do some digital corrections or cleanups, but I post the raw stuff here

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

majour333 posted:

Lab scans.

the jpg should be straight from the negative to scanner to

Naw somebody is in that workflow making choices. It might just be how they have the automatic settings configured but still.

My town has a place with a really nice high end noritsu that does fantastic resolution and really squeezes a lot of detail even out of 35mm scans, but they also had people working in the lab who had good taste. It was pricy but I always loved everything I got back from them, more than I ever did my own manually color corrected V550 or DSLR scans. Then they had some staff turnover and the scans have been overcranked ever since.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Appreciate that. I keep putting off replacing my old scanner.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

majour333 posted:

Lab scans. I can find out more, but the jpg should be straight from the negative to scanner to imgur. The film lab I used doesn't do any post processing unless I ask, as far as I know. Almost everything I post is uncropped and unprocessed. If I make a print for someone I will do some digital corrections or cleanups, but I post the raw stuff here

smersh is right, there's a workflow converting your color negatives to jpegs, if you were getting 'raw stuff' it'd look like the actual negatives:

if you're shooting film with any regularity, it's worth it to pick up a flatbed (or something 35mm specific like a plustek) and do the scans yourself. they'll look better and it's much cheaper in the long run.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It took me literally two rolls of lab scans to realize that they suck (both quality and $$$), so I bought my own scanner. I still suck with getting the color balance right, but at least I have full control over color (because the output is 48 bit) and I also have full control over sharpening. Zero regrets ... well ok, I do hate having to manage dust, but it's a small price to pay.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Very much appreciate the guidance. Each winter I promise myself I'll replace my negative scanner and rescan my photos.
I totally get that the lab isn't giving me literally raw negatives, but yeah there's usually less post processing than they do for other customers, I've used them for development for a long time, the owner understands what I'm looking for.
Looking at the rest of the roll yeah, I'm wondering what's different

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

They've cranked the auto sharpening, the sky in that first one looks really noisy and not in a grain way

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Looks like too much denoising.
Labs always turn up the denoise to 11.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Working at night.
Used my phone, it came out super clean, so had to darken it a little and add some noise in there

Nightshift by Marc, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

tie-my-tie by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Some of the bros getting a fire going to have a feed

Awatoto by Marc, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Raikyn posted:

Some of the bros getting a fire going to have a feed

Awatoto by Marc, on Flickr

Shot, bro.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nice

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

blocks-shadows by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

I don't know what this is, but I like it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

p0stal b0b posted:

I don't know what this is, but I like it.

Thanks. It's a broken car window that was taped up, and then the tape job got beaten up too. It's a beautiful chaotic mess.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Oh HELL yes

majour333 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 31, 2022

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005