Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why the gently caress are there so many RVs on the road now. More than I've ever seen in the past couple of years on the highway. With gas prices so high it's insane to me you'd be driving those around.

Cottage country, at least in Simcoe-Muskoka is prohibitively expensive for cottages, so given the choice of a cottage in Plevna or Khartum, I guess some Boomers went for an RV.

Not that youd know given the 400 during a Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Couldn't travel much the last couple of years so buy an RV to putter around the province in with the money we didn't spend on flights and hotels?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah there's huge drama in rv parks across Ontario because of sales during covid, border shutdowns stopping the usual Florida migration, and boomers downsizing their houses into RVs.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Prime Minister looks dreamy in his new haircut!!!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

dta (death to alberta)
https://twitter.com/rachelnotley/status/1548365436923744256

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Let the cows pay the cow tax, I already pay the homer tax

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
does anybody know how to read the covid poop tarot? this seems not so good.

Figure 1. Trend graph of 7-day rolling average of COVID-19 viral load in wastewater, from March 31, 2022 to July 11, 2022 (dotted green line is daily count, solid green is 7 day rolling average)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I... I mean... she's not wrong, I think? I'm scared.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Karach posted:

does anybody know how to read the covid poop tarot? this seems not so good.

Figure 1. Trend graph of 7-day rolling average of COVID-19 viral load in wastewater, from March 31, 2022 to July 11, 2022 (dotted green line is daily count, solid green is 7 day rolling average)

In a sense, isn't all wastewater monitoring from the south end?

But I take wastewater measures with a grain of salt. They're an interesting proxy but viral counts vary widely and they're not as useful as actual confirmed cases (back when we used to test) or hospitalization/ICU numbers.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Ah ok thanks. I figured there must be more to it.

Is there any other way to figure out how prevalent covid is in your area?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/chronicleherald/status/1549161640888832000?t=PD3iaLuGkIUznp9hYve9aA&s=19

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Remember a few years ago when scary clowns were all the rage?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

This can't be right. It's summer.

Scream is a Christmas movie.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

Karach posted:

I've seen a lot too.

One last hurrah before Tr*dope bans fossil fuels, I guess?

truckboattruck!!!*

*squidbillies was a documentary and it was shot in real time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://twitter.com/andrealandry1/status/1549227029437882368?s=21&t=xj_Ft4lST1wUdErt02djhg
dared to be indigenous on private property

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Video of the attack and statement from the victim on her twitter page. Hopefully the RCMP arrests these guys.

As things are heating up this summer I'm hearing more and more anti-indigenous rhetoric from people in my line of work (construction / building supplies) in Winnipeg. The National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and Every Child Matters broke a lot of these chud brains last year. I won't be surprised if we see more "vigilante justice" like this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As expected, the Liberal approach has produced the expected results of a further degradation in our society and people are looking for an answer and finding one in the form of racist ideology. Now people are lashing out, making everything worse.

This is why sticking with the center is essentially the same thing as throwing your hat in with the right.

Centrism is the first step on the path to fascism.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

EvilJoven posted:

Somebody didn't get laid in college

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the TLDR on the "the michaels actually were spies and deserved what happened to them" take?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the michaels were probably spying on china for canada, and were caught for being spies, and idk if anyone really deserves the things that go on in chinese prisons but anyway csis publicly congratulated them when they were finally released

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This Trucker stuff seems to be picking up steam in a worrying way even though there arent covid restrictions.

How people talk about guns has changed this year. Obviously cynically using an American mass shooting to pass prewritten gun control legislation for optics and to score cheap points was on brand for the Liberals, but for the first time what Im hearing at the range and seeing online where I buy guns is - I dont want to say unsettling because it makes me seem like a lib bedwetter - but strange. Its probably nothing, the legislation is needlessly heavy-handed and the use of an American tragedy to gain Canadian votes is peak Trudeau, but how people are talking about it feels off somehow. I wish I could explain better, but the easiest way is that its being talked about with the tone and language of the Trucker stuff - Tyranny, Communism, Freedom, taking the country back, whatever.

Its not just guns, a family member has given tens of thousands to Trucker related causes, and fearing some sort of government oppression or retaliation, has started stashing away cash and gold. This is a professional in the GTA and the transformation in how they talk about politics is, well its a long way from the Rideau Club Red Tory of even 5-10 years ago. This is a household with two Porsches and a sailboat and suddenly theyre buying guns and talking about the Truckers every time I see them.

I dont know what the gently caress is going on, but this does not feel like it used to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
literally just successful right-wing media poisoning. the left has no real counter to anything like that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
people with firearms and large vehicles nursing a grudge with society over a perceived loss of privilege probably isn't a good thing in general

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

EvilJoven posted:

this, but unironically

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Frosted Flake posted:

This Trucker stuff seems to be picking up steam in a worrying way even though there arent covid restrictions.

How people talk about guns has changed this year. Obviously cynically using an American mass shooting to pass prewritten gun control legislation for optics and to score cheap points was on brand for the Liberals, but for the first time what Im hearing at the range and seeing online where I buy guns is - I dont want to say unsettling because it makes me seem like a lib bedwetter - but strange. Its probably nothing, the legislation is needlessly heavy-handed and the use of an American tragedy to gain Canadian votes is peak Trudeau, but how people are talking about it feels off somehow. I wish I could explain better, but the easiest way is that its being talked about with the tone and language of the Trucker stuff - Tyranny, Communism, Freedom, taking the country back, whatever.

Its not just guns, a family member has given tens of thousands to Trucker related causes, and fearing some sort of government oppression or retaliation, has started stashing away cash and gold. This is a professional in the GTA and the transformation in how they talk about politics is, well its a long way from the Rideau Club Red Tory of even 5-10 years ago. This is a household with two Porsches and a sailboat and suddenly theyre buying guns and talking about the Truckers every time I see them.

I dont know what the gently caress is going on, but this does not feel like it used to.

its just american culture dominating ours, ive noticed my co-workers (construction) getting more aggressive about race, guns, sexuality, and all the other culture war stuff

covid and the shots have broken a lot of brains and seem to have separated the population into 'tribes' again/even more

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

people with firearms and large vehicles nursing a grudge with society over a perceived loss of privilege probably isn't a good thing in general

it's this

people who've been raised on a steady stream of stolen poo poo and the promise of a lifelong entitlement to more are coming to terms with the idea that the limitless universe they were promised has walls and other people who are entitled to dignity and security, and boy are they not having it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

covid and the shots have broken a lot of brains

i guess they were right about the vaccines after all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

it's this

people who've been raised on a steady stream of stolen poo poo and the promise of a lifelong entitlement to more are coming to terms with the idea that the limitless universe they were promised has walls and other people who are entitled to dignity and security, and boy are they not having it

yeah, that limitless opportunity always came at someone else's expense, but you probably didn't have to look them in the eye while you took it. now things are changing and it seems the first reaction isn't to blame the people who told you it was yours when it wasn't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hot Karl Marx posted:

its just american culture dominating ours, ive noticed my co-workers (construction) getting more aggressive about race, guns, sexuality, and all the other culture war stuff

covid and the shots have broken a lot of brains and seem to have separated the population into 'tribes' again/even more

Trudeau playing into that by using an American mass shooting to pass gun control out of the blue seems to have acted as an accelerant, and I cant figure out why he did it. Ive known people who collected guns before, this is the first time Ive seen people stockpile them, and I dont like it.

I dont like any of this poo poo, even if the Liberal intention was as innocent as knowing all Canadian liberals watch American media anyways and showing how Good Canada is compared to the US seemed like an easy layup.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think more gun control is good and the real problem is extremist right-wing media.

Doing nothing so as to placate the extremists is the Democrat playbook.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

other people who are entitled to dignity and security, and boy are they not having it

The thing is, Canadian gun laws already worked, since Poly, and were - albeit begrudgingly - the consensus. I dont even remember the first Prohibited legislation, its never been an issue to me using pinned magazines or belonging to a gun club or anything else, I hadnt thought of it. Canadians had security.

Now, for the first time in my life I hear people talking about needing guns for self defence and poo poo, and all of this other American gun culture trickling in, its not good. Rattling the cage, especially when this Trucker thing, whatever the gently caress that is, was going on was a bad idea even if it looked good on CBC.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I completely agree that the most recent attempt to update the firearms act is both unnecessary in its scope, and misguided. Legally-owned, licensed firearms aren't used in violent crimes anywhere near often enough for restricting them even further to be in any way worthwhile, which is a thing I said without even bothering to check it, because it sounds right to me.

They're also mostly useless for "self-defense", which is a-okay by me because it means fewer parents are gonna be blowing their children's heads off when they come home late from the boyfriend's house

The update that act needs is to get away from playing whack-a-mole with banning named weapons one-at-a-time, and instead revising the bans to include categories of weapons that do things civilian-owned firearms ought not to be allowed to do. "The firearm commonly known as the latest scary gun we saw on CNN and its variants" is no way to run a program; there's no way an ordinary person is going to be able to keep track of all that poo poo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I agree: legal guns arent used in crimes here in any numbers, including mass shootings, and arent used in self defence. Thats why the superimposition of American right wing gun culture in the past while feels so idk, again saying disturbing lends credibility to the Liberal grandstanding, but feels off.

Probably what feels off is that its American culture war suddenly injected into the Canadian context. In the same way having a truck was not a thing before. I knew lots of people with trucks and without and it wasnt charged with whatever symbolism, or meaning, or whatever it is now. The exception was guys who went out to the patch throwing money at lifted trucks, but I never thought of that as political, just how people showed off their cash in Fort Mac.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

guns are stupid

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

agreed

Frosted Flake posted:

I agree: legal guns arent used in crimes here in any numbers, including mass shootings, and arent used in self defence. Thats why the superimposition of American right wing gun culture in the past while feels so idk, again saying disturbing lends credibility to the Liberal grandstanding, but feels off.

Probably what feels off is that its American culture war suddenly injected into the Canadian context. In the same way having a truck was not a thing before. I knew lots of people with trucks and without and it wasnt charged with whatever symbolism, or meaning, or whatever it is now. The exception was guys who went out to the patch throwing money at lifted trucks, but I never thought of that as political, just how people showed off their cash in Fort Mac.

And now it's how they show off their white nationalism and homophobia

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

fisting by many posted:

I think more gun control is good and the real problem is extremist right-wing media.

Doing nothing so as to placate the extremists is the Democrat playbook.

syq

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

the post seemed to imply that the law was bad because it agitated right-wing extremists, not because it was ineffective. i think the former would be a poor reason to do or not do anything because their extremism is fuelled by certain media, rather than the legislative happenings that media may report on.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The law did nothing but rile them - it played off American news to score points in the culture war. It was aimed at them and set them off, while not being effective legislation, because that was never the point.

Canada had a status quo of gun laws that since the Long Gun Registry were basically depoliticized and had public consensus, now its a culture war flashpoint.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

But they would have been "set off" anyway. If there wasn't a gun law to rile people up over it would be not giving Ukraine enough weapons or allowing LGBT people to have rights or something.

Like I'm saying the potential right-wing reaction should just be ignored because it's not grounded in any sense.