Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i totally called it, they gave their eth to someone else who then lost it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
v funny to see a firm literally named EquitiesFirst losing everything on crypto

edit: Equities First? No, crypto!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

upgrading from slurp juice to lien

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

v funny to see a firm literally named EquitiesFirst losing everything on crypto

edit: Equities First? No, crypto!

Equities? First no, crypto!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

Equities? First no, crypto!

y'know I thought i'd be getting tired of this joke by now, but i'm not

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

napkin math says that if you zero out CEL value/CEL liabilities (CEL is worthless except to eliminate those), zero out custody assets/liabilities, and apply a really generous haircut the mining business is worth 25% of what they claim (and i'd bet its worth less), celsius has a $2.1 billion shortfall, or over 40% of its total liabilities.

the plan they proposed in the CEO's first day declaration is to just sit in bankruptcy running the miners until they fill in that hole

the miners generate, apparently, 10,000 bitcoins per year, meaning at current prices of $20k, you only need to stay in bankruptcy for 10.5 years. then one more year because part of your asset value is, uh, those machines.

10.5 years of lawyers' time is free, right. also, the electricity to run the machines is free right, and definitely didn't cost you nearly all the value of the bitcoins you mined, right

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also crypto prices will definitely stabilize and resume rising during that time

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

evilweasel posted:

the miners generate, apparently, 10,000 bitcoins per year, meaning at current prices of $20k, you only need to stay in bankruptcy for 10.5 years. then one more year because part of your asset value is, uh, those machines.

don’t forget that bitcoin mining rewards get halved roughly every four years! if I’m doing my napkin math right, assuming a constant hash rate, they’ll only generate about 50k coins over the next decade if halvings occur as expected in 2024 and 2028

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gschmidl posted:

worth*****

WORTH
LESS
TRANCHE

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
your honour we're good for this, you see bitcoin is going up Up UP

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

DEAR CUSTOMER, we have received your withdrawl request, and we would like to offer you this exciting opportunity to not withdrawl your money

https://twitter.com/otteroooo/status/1547955567083155464

(I should caveat that we don’t know if this is legit and undoctored… but also I feel pretty good about the chances of another obvious crypto Ponzi scheme going insolvent)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

"nexo insolvency" sounds like it should be a technical term, along similar lines to "chapter 11 bankruptcy" or "chevron deference"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

"me and the boys have encountered some light nexo insolvency, but we're confident (with your paused withdrawal opportunity) that we can get through this together"

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
the nexo subreddit specifically has a post saying they're definitely not bankrupt from 3AC

quote:

Nexo has $0 exposure to Three Arrows Capital.

Nexo has always differentiated itself from others as being a very conservative lender with stringent risk management and strict over-collateralization requirements, regardless of borrowers' reputation.

Оver 2 years ago, we declined 3AC’s request for unsecured credit. We learned that they acquired it elsewhere. It is now obvious that Nexo’s approach was correct. This is why our assets exceed our liabilities: https://real-time-attest.trustexplorer.io/nexo

There's a PDF of a report on their assets exceed their liabilities (listed as 177,000 BTC)

quote:

Nexo assets consisting of �at (USD, GBP, and EUR), digital assets (self-custodied, third-party custodied, derivatives, and lending positions), and an outstanding customer loan book (collectively, “Nexo Assets”) were greater than or equal to customer deposits (“Customer Liabilities”)

don't worry, they totally have the money, they just need to go out real quick to get it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

evilweasel posted:

napkin math says that if you zero out CEL value/CEL liabilities (CEL is worthless except to eliminate those), zero out custody assets/liabilities, and apply a really generous haircut the mining business is worth 25% of what they claim (and i'd bet its worth less), celsius has a $2.1 billion shortfall, or over 40% of its total liabilities.

the plan they proposed in the CEO's first day declaration is to just sit in bankruptcy running the miners until they fill in that hole

10.5 years of lawyers' time is free, right. also, the electricity to run the machines is free right, and definitely didn't cost you nearly all the value of the bitcoins you mined, right
every time the court arraigns
pennies from buttcoin
don't you know miners contain
pennies from buttcoin
you'll find your fortune falling
in every town
because your portfolio
is upside down
make coins out of a bunch of
wastage of power
if you want the things you hodl
you must have tethers
so when the prices tumble
don't fumble bankruptcy
there'll be pennies from buttcoin
for you and me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grace Baiting posted:

"nexo insolvency" sounds like it should be a technical term, along similar lines to "chapter 11 bankruptcy" or "chevron deference"

It's a Yu-Gi-Oh card.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Stephen Harper posted:

the nexo subreddit specifically has a post saying they're definitely not bankrupt from 3AC

There's a PDF of a report on their assets exceed their liabilities (listed as 177,000 BTC)

don't worry, they totally have the money, they just need to go out real quick to get it

they totally have the money, it’s just “away from them” as folks in the biz say

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“from 3AC” doing a lot of work there

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
they should just do what they did when that giant rai stone sunk in the water, we don't have your money on our person, but we know roughly where it is, so that should be good enough for everyone

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

SubG posted:

pennies from buttcoin
pennies from buttcoin
in every town
because your portfolio
is upside down
wastage of power
you must have tethers
don't fumble bankruptcy
for you and me

i'm imagining this is the rose murphy version but instead of her saying chee chee it's fart sounds from https://buttcoin.club/

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao, check this poo poo out. the guy doing this used to be a friend until he went full blown chud when Trump won

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

can't tell if psychical is a mistake or not

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Boxturret posted:

can't tell if psychical is a mistake or not

he's the physical embodiment of the term "beautiful idiot", that 100% was supposed to be "physical"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SubG posted:

pennies from buttcoin
pennies from buttcoin
in every town
because your portfolio
is upside down
wastage of power
you must have tethers
don't fumble bankruptcy
for you and me

oh hey i just saw the mountain goats live the other day

good excuse to post this again: https://johndarnielle.tumblr.com/post/126993307991/quoms-the-best-ever-bitcoin-cannabis-drone

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jabor posted:

can someone describe that thing to me?

like, are all these people making a bet that ethereum will switch to proof of stake, where if they lose they get nothing, and if they're right then they only get back exactly what they put in? (minus the no fees)

or is there some counterparty that's actually going to pay them more than what they put in, despite not having any potential upside themselves?

there are multiple parties involved here

1. ethereum dev team creates the "beacon chain" which is like an alpha version of the proof-of-stake ethereum that will never release
2. ethereum dev team lets you stake ether on it right now , but it will never unstake until PoS is out. you get some kind of staking income based on how much you stake but mostly this is for idiot morons
3. lido finance comes up with a cool idea: they stake their own ether, and then they make up a new token called "stEth" to represent 1 future-ether-when-pos-releases to sell on the market. the idea is that if you own one of these tokens you can redeem it for one of the ethers lido originally staked, once lido gets their money back. (they keep the interest / staking income of course)
4. idiot buttcoiners value + buy stEth at exactly 1 eth, so lido sells lots of tokens and gets to instantly recoup their initial investment while also collect staking income "for free"
5. idiot buttcoiners slowly become slightly less idiotic and realize "wait proof of stake is never coming", and as a result stEth "depegs" and starts selling for less than 1 eth to represent the risk
6. celsius says "wow free money, i can buy 1 future eth for only 0.9 eth today!!", buys shitloads of stEth
7. now celsius is the biggest holder of stEth, holding lots of worthless pogs that are theoretically worth 0.9 eth each, but there are no other buyers left in the market so they can't actually sell without cratering the price. and they can't redeem them for the actual backing eth until PoS releases (never).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i hope this doesn't impact the launch of pos in 6 months :ohdear:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

1. ethereum dev team creates the "beacon chain" which is like an alpha version of the proof-of-stake ethereum that will never release
2. ethereum dev team lets you stake ether on it right now , but it will never unstake until PoS is out. you get some kind of staking income based on how much you stake but mostly this is for idiot morons
3. lido finance comes up with a cool idea: they stake their own ether, and then they make up a new token called "stEth" to represent 1 future-ether-when-pos-releases to sell on the market. the idea is that if you own one of these tokens you can redeem it for one of the ethers lido originally staked, once lido gets their money back. (they keep the interest / staking income of course)
4. idiot buttcoiners value + buy stEth at exactly 1 eth, so lido sells lots of tokens and gets to instantly recoup their initial investment while also collect staking income "for free"
5. idiot buttcoiners slowly become slightly less idiotic and realize "wait proof of stake is never coming", and as a result stEth "depegs" and starts selling for less than 1 eth to represent the risk
6. celsius says "wow free money, i can buy 1 future eth for only 0.9 eth today!!", buys shitloads of stEth
7. now celsius is the biggest holder of stEth, holding lots of worthless pogs that are theoretically worth 0.9 eth each, but there are no other buyers left in the market so they can't actually sell without cratering the price. and they can't redeem them for the actual backing eth until PoS releases (never).

It can't be that stupid - you must be explaining it wrong.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Hammerite posted:

now there's a thread title

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Boxturret posted:

it was still on track for release 6 months ago

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

now there's a thread title

never seen

before i take it

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Boxturret posted:

don't worry, whatever happens in the future, it will always be the case that pos is launching in 6 months

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Crust First posted:

never seen

before i take it

my "it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong" thread title is raising a lot of objections already mentioned by my thread title

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Qwertycoatl posted:

don't worry, whatever happens in the future, it will always be the case that pos is launching in 6 months

"that pos" is right

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Crust First posted:

never seen

before i take it

and yet still somehow not as stupid as tether, which is kind of amazing when you think about it

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

Why not lock away all of your clients funny money in this program where its about page, posted in 2020, says

Any week now!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they call this the "lido shuffle"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Plank Walker posted:

they call this the "lido shuffle"

:incorrect:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1546627001250873351

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
more like roger vámonos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so we're at the part of the tv show where none of the new characters have any staying power so they're bringing back the old favourites