Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Your black probably has a bit of blue in it, and that will turn many yellow paints green. If you're doing lots of yellow, you can try an off-white primer like cream or a skin tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Doing some test figures, but I think with Army Painter's Grim Black Speedpaint and some successive drybrushing from a medium gray up to white over a black undercoat, I've got the whole "edge highlighting black Space Marine armor" thing licked. :v:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

vallejo mecha matte varnish is super forgiving. if you spray it on really thick in places it will start to look cloudy when wet, but then dry completely clear.

bird food bathtub posted:

If anyone has used airbrush varnish I would be interested in a testimonial. Looking at an air brush for priming mostly, maaaaybe "painting" large flat stuff like vehicles but mostly do my painting by hand. If finishing also works well through an airbrush I would probably do that too.

an airbrush setup is, no exaggeration, the best hobby gear purchase i’ve ever made. even when i only used it for zenithal priming and varnishing it was worth its weight in gold for never having to use a spray can

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Rattle cans are pretty much specifically why I am looking in to it. Expensive pains in the rear end that leave my models look like they're covered in popcorn more often than not. Already made a fume hood for my resin printer, gonna use it for double duty.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Doing some test figures, but I think with Army Painter's Grim Black Speedpaint and some successive drybrushing from a medium gray up to white over a black undercoat, I've got the whole "edge highlighting black Space Marine armor" thing licked. :v:

hell yeah that's such a fun method and requires almost no effort.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He's done! :toot:

Crazy how much a bit of texture and colour on the base adds to a model.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jarofpiss posted:

i just do vallejo black with a white ink zenithal of varying intensity. is there any benefit to trying different colors of primer?

If you are doing a bunch of let's say eldar with blue armor, you would use a dark blue primer with a white acrylic artist ink zenithal, that way all the nooks and crannies that are hard to brush paint into are already shaded in a coherent color.

I don't really like to use black primer as it mutes colors too much for my taste but I do keep a bottle of Vallejo German red brown and German panzer grey as the dark primer color for red dominant and blue dominant color schemes. I'm sure the other primer brands have similar dark colors.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're airbrushing there's no real point in buying multiple colours of primer. Just prime black and then spray a base colour all over instead of having a rainbow of primers sitting around.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

If you're airbrushing there's no real point in buying multiple colours of primer. Just prime black and then spray a base colour all over instead of having a rainbow of primers sitting around.

I don't airbrush beyond primer color - zenithal and I'm too lazy to properly thin acrylic paint base coat to proper airbrush consistency so that system works for me. In my case the primer color becomes the dark shade of the base color. The way I see it if a recess is hard to get a brush into, then it's also going to be hard to actually see into with enough detail to discern exact matches with the base coat. Especially from the distance and angle you typically view minis from.

Edit: I don't really have a rainbow of primers, just a dark red brown and a dark blue grey.
I do also have a bottle of white and black but I haven't used them in a while.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you’ll pry my German Red Brown primer from my cold dead hands

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

hell yeah that's such a fun method and requires almost no effort.

It really is, I experimented with a couple of tries until I arrived at the following method:

1. Prime and basecoat black
2. Drybrush from a medium gray up through to white; for example, I started with AP Dungeon Grey, then AP Ash Grey, then AP Spaceship Exterior, and then finally AP Matt White, using lighter strokes and smaller drybrushes as I go (you could probably skip the Dungeon Grey and Spaceship Exterior portions of this as they aren't strictly necessary)
3. Slather AP Speedpaint Grim Black all over with a good-sized brush
4. Wait to dry and then marvel at how easy it was

The highlights can be kind of subtle; while I think they look fine, some might like theirs to "pop" a bit more. That can be achieved by just selectively picking out some edge highlights afterwards if you want (just make sure to seal the AP Speedpaint first with airbrush/rattlecan matte varnish before applying new paint, so you don't accidentally reactivate it).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It really is, I experimented with a couple of tries until I arrived at the following method:

1. Prime and basecoat black
2. Drybrush from a medium gray up through to white; for example, I started with AP Dungeon Grey, then AP Ash Grey, then AP Spaceship Exterior, and then finally AP Matt White, using lighter strokes and smaller drybrushes as I go (you could probably skip the Dungeon Grey and Spaceship Exterior portions of this as they aren't strictly necessary)
3. Slather AP Speedpaint Grim Black all over with a good-sized brush
4. Wait to dry and then marvel at how easy it was

The highlights can be kind of subtle; while I think they look fine, some might like theirs to "pop" a bit more. That can be achieved by just selectively picking out some edge highlights afterwards if you want (just make sure to seal the AP Speedpaint first with airbrush/rattlecan matte varnish before applying new paint, so you don't accidentally reactivate it).

That's been my method on the corsairs but with just black/off-white/white and it worked pretty well. I'm going to try out just priming off white with a zenithal drybrush of white and see how it goes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My Green Stuff World rotational paint shaker arrived yesterday and I gotta say, it's pretty nifty.

I'll try and give a somewhat substantial opinion on it once I actually start using it when I paint something later next week.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I haven't seen that before, very interested in it if it turns out to be good. As much fun as it is to whip the pot around like a can of dip, an electronic solution would be appreciated

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
poo poo, if it can turn tessseract glow back in to full liquid in a reasonable time, I might have to get it. I put double ball bearings in there, and they just get stuck together in an un-dissolvable ball of green mud in the bottom third of the bottle.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

My Green Stuff World rotational paint shaker arrived yesterday and I gotta say, it's pretty nifty.

I'll try and give a somewhat substantial opinion on it once I actually start using it when I paint something later next week.

Very interested to hear a trip report too. I bought some textured rolling pins and have been fun messing around with them (although having a hard time getting the perfect imprint) and I want to order some more brown stuff so this gives me an excuse.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I didn't feel mentally up for painting the dread or the test marine, but I figured I could work on some bases instead.

5 paints, 1 wash. Could probably eliminate one of the paints with good enough mixing, but I'm still seriously struggling with my wet palette so I opted for the safer route. Intent was "irradiated Mars-like desert", intended to do it a bit brighter originally but the darker look + unexpectedly green wash actually worked out in my favor. Yes, I know I should have left spots bare for the models, and I'll do that in the future. In the meantime this is the first thing I've been satisfied with that I've painted in ~5 years so I'll take it.

Progress on actual models: not so much. But I'll get there eventually. One step at a time.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eej posted:

I use pink undercoat for giving me instant orange shadows for anything that’s going to be yellow.

gently caress working up to yellow from black. Lmao.

Having multiple primer colours is one of the benefits of airbrushing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No one's saying spray yellow on black. You can prime black, spray pink all over then spray yellow on top of it. Having multiple primer colours is just extra money and space taken up I don't need.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

I didn't feel mentally up for painting the dread or the test marine, but I figured I could work on some bases instead.

5 paints, 1 wash. Could probably eliminate one of the paints with good enough mixing, but I'm still seriously struggling with my wet palette so I opted for the safer route. Intent was "irradiated Mars-like desert", intended to do it a bit brighter originally but the darker look + unexpectedly green wash actually worked out in my favor. Yes, I know I should have left spots bare for the models, and I'll do that in the future. In the meantime this is the first thing I've been satisfied with that I've painted in ~5 years so I'll take it.

Progress on actual models: not so much. But I'll get there eventually. One step at a time.

Those bases look fine, I don't know myself how to make them contrast more. oil wash the low parts and drybrushing the tops?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eej posted:

No one's saying spray yellow on black. You can prime black, spray pink all over then spray yellow on top of it. Having multiple primer colours is just extra money and space taken up I don't need.

But then I’d be doing extra steps!

I’d rather spend a few bucks then more time, myself

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those bases look fine, I don't know myself how to make them contrast more. oil wash the low parts and drybrushing the tops?

I also think the bases look great, but if you do want them to pop more, an easy way to add some contrast is to shift the colour of the rocks towards a blue-grey to contrast with the orange-red ground. And yeah, a wash of any kind and a drybrush with an off-white could make the details pop a bit too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Seems like GSW has its own contrast line

I don't need it but man is it tempting cause I enjoy the GSW paints

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can't wait for them to copyright strike youtubers talking about army painter's big tins of dip.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dreylad posted:

I also think the bases look great, but if you do want them to pop more, an easy way to add some contrast is to shift the colour of the rocks towards a blue-grey to contrast with the orange-red ground. And yeah, a wash of any kind and a drybrush with an off-white could make the details pop a bit too.

I have something I could try for that on future bases. I will note that everything on the bases has been washed & drybrushed (actually used quite a bit more wash than I was hoping for to get this far...). Glad it's not just me and they actually did turn out well.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seems like GSW has its own contrast line

I don't need it but man is it tempting cause I enjoy the GSW paints

Of course they do. Their modus operandi is to take good ideas from other companies and rip them off then try and force their competitors out of the market.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Of course they do. Their modus operandi is to take good ideas from other companies and rip them off then try and force their competitors out of the market.

That's just Capitalism, man

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

people who do their bases ahead of time, how do you attach models without messing up the paint?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

punishedkissinger posted:

people who do their bases ahead of time, how do you attach models without messing up the paint?

That's going to be a very good question for these, since I really should have done bare spots for attachment! But I do my models on pins for normal painting, and I use CA glue for everything instead of plastic glue, so it's nominally as easy as "just glue it down, no special precautions", and it worked for two full armies in the past. Unfortunately the terrain material for these is going to compromise how strongly it's held to the base; not a big deal for the tacticals going on 5 of the bases... but the big one is the Contemptor base, which will be more troublesome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Just regular ca superglue

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Drill a small hole, but a blob of super glue on it, and put the paper clip that is stuck in the mini's foot through the hole.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Whenever I pin my models I find that there's a good amount of wiggle, even though the bit I'm using it about the right size for the paperclip. Any tips there?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Whenever I pin my models I find that there's a good amount of wiggle, even though the bit I'm using it about the right size for the paperclip. Any tips there?

I use gel superglue and always put the nozzle right up against the hole when applying... I guess this fills it in and the paperclip smooshes out just enough for itself and leaves it pretty snug.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SkyeAuroline posted:

I have something I could try for that on future bases. I will note that everything on the bases has been washed & drybrushed (actually used quite a bit more wash than I was hoping for to get this far...). Glad it's not just me and they actually did turn out well.

Nah they're aces. Look great to me!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I put the superglue on the end of the paper clip then run it in and out of the hole a few times to push the glue down in.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Getting back into painting minis after a nearly ten year hiatus, and even then I wasn't very good.

After magnetizing both Necromunda Escher boxes, I painted my first one! Feels good to finally have a start of a proper Necromunda gang.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1547940830341505024

It's a lot easier to paint armless people. Though, I have something like 60-80 arms to paint...

Still need to do the base, and spray matte. The wash I made is very glossy.

Edit:
Re: pinning with paperclips, I got some little drill bit set from Lowes and found one that fits my paperclips perfectly. Need to get some needle nose pliers to actually jam them in and they're snug. Maybe try a bit set and find a better fit?

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 15, 2022

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

nuln oil is the balls

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What are the top tier contrast paints I should have on hand? Looking to buy a bunch before the new lines come out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does the new line come out today or tomorrow in stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Painted up a beholder

Need to work a bit more on large eyes, but still happy.

Also I've decided it's canon that all beholders have one brown eye: