Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Side note I thought for sure my wife was having some ambien delerium or something about some star trek character until I looked the recipe up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Looks great! Ottolenghi has some good stuff. I make his roasted sweet potatoes several times a year: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roast-sweet-potatoes-with-pickled-onions-coriander-and-goat-s-cheese

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Professor Wayne posted:

Looks great! Ottolenghi has some good stuff. I make his roasted sweet potatoes several times a year: https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roast-sweet-potatoes-with-pickled-onions-coriander-and-goat-s-cheese

I made this tonight and it was delicious! Thanks! No pictures because plating is my least developed skill. Even still, with all the colors this looked pretty good dumped on a plate. I had regular sweet potatoes and some purple ones that were kind of sweetish but looked pretty, and I accidentally bought feta instead of goat cheese but it worked fine. I especially liked the pickled onions with it. It took a couple hours for them to take on any lime flavor but when they got there they were really tasty and I ended the meal just straight up eating them out of the bowl they were in.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Sliced chicken breast and lemon-caper sauce over fettuccine.

It was sort of like a lighter chicken piccata. Really tasty and pretty easy.

Looks great, mind sharing how you did the sauce?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

GramCracker posted:

Looks great, mind sharing how you did the sauce?

After I took the chicken breast out of the pan I deglazed with a big squeeze of lemon and a little splash of caper brine. Added a couple crushed garlic cloves and scraped the pan. Added maybe a cup of chicken stock, a big tablespoon of capers, maybe a tablespoon of butter, and let it start reducing. Tasted and for seasoning and added a little salt and pepper. Reduced a fair amount and spooned it over the chicken and pasta.

Plenty of sauce and plenty of flavor for the chicken and all the pasta.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
EDIT: poo poo! wrong thread

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 17, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
things i have done recently in the past week.

Katsudon. didn't get the egg/glaze out of the pan fast enough, therefore less-runny than I would have liked. Still good.

Chicken parm. Was experimenting with breading and frying things. See also previous. Forgot to check if I had long pasta, turned it into a sandwich.

Vietnamese "Cơm tấm" rearranged into a bento, using leftover kebab meat, spiced up in a pan with Lao Gan Ma.

Dairy-free chocolate pudding. I am very angry at how well these turned out. Repacked into individual servings in recycled jars. Please excuse the jar of schmaltz in the background.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 17, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I regret to inform you that the pudding you made last week expired last year. It all looks great, and that katsu is making me super hungry.

I need to work on my plating, but both things I made this week were solid.

California sushi roll inspired rice bowl

Ropa vieja

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mapo tofu

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I love that stuff, yum!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

After I took the chicken breast out of the pan I deglazed with a big squeeze of lemon and a little splash of caper brine. Added a couple crushed garlic cloves and scraped the pan. Added maybe a cup of chicken stock, a big tablespoon of capers, maybe a tablespoon of butter, and let it start reducing. Tasted and for seasoning and added a little salt and pepper. Reduced a fair amount and spooned it over the chicken and pasta.

Plenty of sauce and plenty of flavor for the chicken and all the pasta.

Sounds easy enough, thanks for sharing!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

GramCracker posted:

Sounds easy enough, thanks for sharing!

It probably wouldn’t have killed me to grate a bit of lemon zest in there too.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made pork gyro/kebab:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Nice!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Roast broccoli with spaghetti in garlic oil

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I have a lot to thank GWS for, as my first real foray into cooking all started here in this forum, and it began with probably the most "famous" recipe to come out of here - the fabled goon pulled pork. I've made it countless times over the years and passed it on to both my parents and my wife's parents. My mother in law just made it again over the weekend!

But after having it again after a long pause, I wondered - I've learned a shitload over the last decade+ I've spent here. Surely I can improve this recipe, right?

Right.

To start: big rear end pork shoulder, but instead of throwing the whole chunk of meat into its vessel like an uncultured Cro-Magnon, let's get some more surface area. I chopped it up into chunks, scored the chunks on all sides, liberally applied S&P, seasoned with roasted granulated garlic, paprika, ground mustard, and MSG, and covered with a combination of soy sauce, worcestershire, and fish sauce:

Threw that into a bag along with 6 or 7 smashed garlic cloves and let that sit for about 24 hours, flipping it in the bowl a bunch throughout the day

It's now the next morning - time to cook!

This time, I'm ditching the crock pot for the king of maillard: my dutch oven. Extracted the meat from the bag into a bowl and applied a very liberal coating of dark brown sugar on each piece. Preheat the oven to 225F, and while preheating I put the dutch oven on my stove on medium with a thin layer of oil, and in goes the pieces, cooking in batches until everything is browned on at least 2 sides (the sugar almost turns black here and I basically made pork flavored caramel in the process).

While the pieces are cooking I quickly quarter a sweet onion and, after all the meat is seared, everything goes back into the pot along with any excess marinade still left in the bag, a few drops of liquid smoke, a bay leaf, and about a cup of water.

Cooked with the lid on slightly ajar, and taking a page out of Kenji's bolognese recipe, I checked on the pork every hour or so, turning the pieces and scraping the sides of the dutch oven with a wooden spoon to get those lovely browned bits into the liquid. This continued for about 5 hours.

Getting there. For the last hour, I turned the oven up to 250F and removed the lid.

Behold! The fruit of our labor. The crust on the pieces let me get them out of the pot mostly unscathed, but rest assured it took no effort at all to shred.

This is where I forget to take a picture of the sauce & finished product because holy gently caress this was so insanely good so here's the bottom of the bowl

The sauce I did in basically the same way I normally would - liquid from the dutch oven into a saucepan, small amount of cornstarch in cold water, along with a few drops of liquid smoke, a squirt of ketchup, and a big spoonful of dijon mustard to try and help stabilize everything. Added some more S&P once reduced enough.

Having been able to taste this version and the original GWS crockpot method basically side-by-side, the difference is extremely obvious: the dutch oven method provides a much deeper, more developed flavor than the crockpot version. I was expecting it to be different, but I wasn't prepared for how different it really was.

I only put the sauce on about half of the pork and elected to keep the other half unsauced for a different use - which turned out great, as I made some shredded pork fried rice last night that was absolutely phenomenal as well

Cooking is fun! Thanks for everything GWS!!

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
^ Looks great.

I made pork dumplings, same filling in them all just trying different folding methods as I suck at all of them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mapo tofu x2.

While I prefer the use of silken tofu over firm, I think this was a little too delicate. By the time I got the leftovers into tupperware, the tofu had shredded to the point of becoming streaky like egg drop soup. Still good when I had it for dinner last night, just lacking in texture. I have now dialled in the correct firmness I will use from here on out.

edit: I am disappointed nobody asked about the chocolate pudding.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 22, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mapo tofu x2.

While I prefer the use of silken tofu over firm, I think this was a little too delicate. By the time I got the leftovers into tupperware, the tofu had shredded to the point of becoming streaky like egg drop soup. Still good when I had it for dinner last night, just lacking in texture. I have now dialled in the correct firmness I will use from here on out.

Have you tried boiling firm tofu in salted water for a minute before adding it? Maybe it's just the placebo effect but I think it improves the texture for stuff like mapo tofu while not becoming immediately shredded like silken tofu

There's also apparently firm silken tofu but it's hard to get in the US.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What do you want us to ask about the chocolate pudding?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mystes posted:

Have you tried boiling firm tofu in salted water for a minute before adding it? Maybe it's just the placebo effect but I think it improves the texture for stuff like mapo tofu while not becoming immediately shredded like silken tofu

There's also apparently firm silken tofu but it's hard to get in the US.

I use soft, not silken tofu, that I “blanch” in salted water first. Cut tofu into cubes, gently place into cold salted water, put on heat. As soon as the water comes to a bare simmer, you’re done. Turn off the heat, strain gently and then dump into the wok with sauce.

This is how we did it at the Chinese place I worked at and it gives the best texture IMO. I can only generally find soft tofu at Asian markets though. All the normal grocery stores just carry firm and silken.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You guys are being confusing about tofu. The two most common types are silken and "regular" aka block aka cotton, and both types come in soft to extra-firm varieties. For Mapo I prefer firm silken.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Human Tornada posted:

You guys are being confusing about tofu. The two most common types are silken and "regular" aka block aka cotton, and both types come in soft to extra-firm varieties. For Mapo I prefer firm silken.
wtf. this explains so much.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mapo tofu x2.

Looks really good, do you have a recipe for the Mapo Tofu?

Also please tell me about that chocolate pudding

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What do you want us to ask about the chocolate pudding?

Serendipitaet posted:

Also please tell me about that chocolate pudding

I'm glad you asked! See, there's a bit of a throughline when I cook, usually, there are overlapping ingredients. In my head, here is where I figured I'd act coy and make people guess what the shared ingredient for the pudding was.

Also, in my head, I figured I'd let trickle out the story how, after I got my boosters and had my first Jamba Juice since COVID began, I then proceeded to hug my guts after returning home and wonder if I had rolled a 1 on my vaccine effectiveness and begged for the sweet release of death. Gonna skip to the end and say that no, COVID didn't have anything to do with it, it just turns out I've become lactose intolerant, just like genetics predicted. (I have a separate rant on genetics related to keto, which I no longer do) So the past few months have been an adventure in figuring out what was wrong with me, and now, more recently, finding alternatives. And ordering a ton of Lactaid from Costco.

To make a long story short: That pudding is only three ingredients, dark chocolate, honey, and TOFU, and it has turned out so much better, faster, and easier than anything I've ever made with dairy, I was positively steamed at how well they came out. My regional supermarket chain sells cartons of Mori-Nu tofu in varying firmnesses, and I had bought several cartons to try and figure out which one I wanted to use for the pudding, and which I wanted to use for the mapo. (Purple box for the pudding, blue box for the mapo) All I need to do is chop a 3.5oz - 4.0oz dark chocolate bar into my stick blender's cup, microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted, turn in one carton of that lite firm silken tofu, and two tablespoons of honey, and blitz until uniform.

No double boiling, no sweating over a stove, no trickling in heavy cream a little bit at a time, no having to clean poo poo up in scalding hot water to make sure I get chocolate out of every last crook and cranny, just bingo, bango, eyeball measure the honey, one mixing cup and the tip of my stick blender, scrape into a ziplock bag and snip the tip for piping into individual serving jars.

I am still mad at how lazy it lets me be while simultaneously being better than my average scratch-made dairy-based chocolate pudding. And while that might come across as "Well, S-A-D clearly makes some shite chocolate pudding then, don't they?" the thing that got me down this road was seeing the same thing on Sorted. (though their recipe goes for a splash of Kahlua for their liquid sweetener.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkC1seXEGSM&t=170s

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 23, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I assumed it was tofu when you said it was dairy free. You should join us in the the vegan thread where using tofu for pudding is a trick that's at least 25-30 years old! You can make all sorts of great desserts with tofu, like chocolate cream pie.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I assumed it was tofu when you said it was dairy free. You should join us in the the vegan thread where using tofu for pudding is a trick that's at least 25-30 years old! You can make all sorts of great desserts with tofu, like chocolate cream pie.

I mean, it could have been the coconut milk thing whose jars I re-used! But baking?

I can cook, I can make my own noodles from scratch, I can bake stuff out of a box, but baking from scratch is black magic to me. And I tried, several times during COVID lockdown, never could get an edible product.

But drat, do I miss getting chocolate cream pie from Nation's. <.<;

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 23, 2022

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

I used some homemade vinegar that I made with some st. bernardus abt12 instead of the apple cider that I normally use for the adobo, gotta admit it's pretty tasty.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 25, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Eggplant parmigiana, as requested by my wife.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Still more Korean/Mexican tacos. Good but could have used more heat and a little more flavor in the Korean column.

Corn tortillas
Korean-style braised beef
Salsa roja
Serrano salsa verde
Queso fresco
Diced red onion
Pickled jalapenos
Sesame seeds

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lots of cherry tomatoes and basil from the garden means it’s bruschetta and goat cheese time

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
made poutine, this time with:

green peas
serranos
green onion
thick bacon
cheese curd
homemade gravy
hatch pepper queso

can't see the peas so here's a second pic:

it was SCRUMPTIOUS

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
More adventures in pesto: quartered some mushrooms and sweat them in a pan with some garlic until the water is gone, then into a baking dish and tossed in basil-almond pesto, with mozz, parm, turkey pepperoni. into the oven to get all melty

Meanwhile, I toasted a brioche bun with some butter and spread some more pesto on it, and then made a parmesan chip

Put some mushroom mixture on the bun and the chip. Pesto shrooms two ways

Not much to look at but tasty at hell

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

went picking with my neighbor in their robust garden; digging up potatoes, picking wax and romano beans off the vine, plucking cherry tomatoes, etc. went back home, washed and chopped everything up, cut up some chicken, threw it all in a pot with some egg noodles, threw in a whole bunch of spices, soy sauce, etc, let it cook and then sit on medium heat for a good long while, and boy is it ever good. most of the potatoes were small red and white potatoes not even worth cutting up, just washed'em and chucked'em in.

thinking that with my overly-large yard I may just offer some of it to my neighbor if they want to grow other stuff. they've got a lot of variety in their garden(like their potato row has 16 potato plants in it, romano bean row has 6 plants in it, etc) but they've largely run out of room for more stuff to grow. dunno if they even want to though, they've got quite a lot already.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 1, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Low effort tonight:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Smoked a pork butt

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot to take a picture but like...

So I've never been a huge fan of tomatoes on their own. Cooked, cool; in salads, fine, in sauces, awesome.

However this is because I've never had a homegrown tomato. Me and my girlfriend picked up a bunch from my grandma's garden a few days ago and my girlfriend suggested trying a tomato sandwich with her, and like... this is the best thing ever? I've eaten four of them over the past 2 days and it's all I want now.

It's seriously nothing special, and makes the "low effort" meal a couple posts above look painstakingly gourmet, but hot drat, my life revolves around these things and I will be sad when the tomatoes are gone.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Real tomatoes are mind blowingly delicious. I’ll eat them like an apple. Eat some in a salad or caprese.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gumbo is so good

Not exactly photogenic unless you wanna be the kind of numb nuts who finishes by plopping on okra and sausage pieces that didn’t cook with the roux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Framboise posted:

It's seriously nothing special, and makes the "low effort" meal a couple posts above look painstakingly gourmet, but hot drat, my life revolves around these things and I will be sad when the tomatoes are gone.

Leibling once said something like “all cooked food aspires to the condition of ripe fruit”. It is, in fact something special, and the vast majority of people won’t ever get to experience it. On a positive note, there are many ultra seasonal foodstuffs you’ve probably never experienced at their peak, so you might look at it as the beginning of a wonderful journey of discovery.