Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

nashona posted:

AITA For seating all the vegans at one table at my wedding reception

Read this one earlier, it seems to be a series of dumbass decisions backed up by assholery all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nashona posted:

Reddit's verdict? NTA :rolleyes:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I thought reddit's verdict was YTA for forcing everyone to do a thing because one of them had an issue.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

nashona posted:

$10,000 crib that requires 8 months lead time

This is kind of funny because the phrase "The oval form of the Gradient crib is created by machining a fluid surface out of solid maple hardwood." to me means the thing is cranked out on a CNC mill in two hours probably.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

nashona posted:

she feels I should have been more willing to find a different solution.

I guess they could've told the cousin to gently caress off and take that little entitled shithead off the guest list.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 15, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

making her eat by herself would have been fine

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kurieg posted:

I thought reddit's verdict was YTA for forcing everyone to do a thing because one of them had an issue.

:shrug:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

making her eat by herself would have been fine

I dunno, they might get mad for singling out the cousin in this case.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I dunno, they might get mad for singling out the cousin in this case.

:shrug:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nashona posted:

$10,000 crib that requires 8 months lead time

I have some good news about the lead time on babies (as long as you aren't having twins).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cousin wasn't the only vegan. Because this one cousin refused to eat with non-vegans, OP put ALL the vegans in a separate table, splitting up families in the process. In what way is this a better solution than either putting cousin in a separate table or not inviting them?

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I'm assuming the cousin would have found something to be mad about regardless, right? It sounds like the only other solution besides the Vegan Exclusion Zone was having the cousin eat alone.

e: I guess the actual issue here is less with the cousin and more with the other people who were, I assume, fairly normal about being vegan and still forced to sit at the vegans-only table. I could understand those people being annoyed at that when they were expecting to be able to sit with their family or spouse or something.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Cousin wasn't the only vegan. Because this one cousin refused to eat with non-vegans, OP put ALL the vegans in a separate table, splitting up families in the process. In what way is this a better solution that either putting cousin in a separate table or not inviting them?

Oh I'm not saying it was a good option, but I can also see people going "You just singled out a family member and made it really weird." That one cousin just really threw an annoying rear end in a top hat wrench into the planning.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I found a photo of the cousin taken at a recent family barbecue.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

should've gotten a dirt bike

My 12-year-old has been begging for a dirt bike. I know nothing about them or how they're different from motorcycles, but I have a friend whose son died in a motorcycle accident, so I'm pretty opposed to him getting one. Are dirt bikes at all safe?

My dad started riding a motorcycle when he was around 60; I was born when he was 50, so I was still in elementary school and thought it was awesome when he'd drop me off or pick me up from school on it. But I still never want my kids getting one, unless it's after I croak and I don't need to know about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Troublemaker posted:

My 12-year-old has been begging for a dirt bike. I know nothing about them or how they're different from motorcycles, but I have a friend whose son died in a motorcycle accident, so I'm pretty opposed to him getting one. Are dirt bikes at all safe?

My dad started riding a motorcycle when he was around 60; I was born when he was 50, so I was still in elementary school and thought it was awesome when he'd drop me off or pick me up from school on it. But I still never want my kids getting one, unless it's after I croak and I don't need to know about it.

I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life, they're great

riding motorcycles on the street is more a problem of other people ramming their cars into you and killing you

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I agree, which is why I insist my girlfriend wear a frankenstein mask from a halloween store whenever she leaves the house, so I don't need to share her face with anyone else

AITA for not making him what he wants?

I'm allergic to nonwaffles

"I'm allergic to assholes in my house, gtfo."

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Yeah let the cousin have their own table, then it's only one person miserable. It's like the trolley problem except they switched to the track with more people on it.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life, they're great

riding motorcycles on the street is more a problem of other people ramming their cars into you and killing you

Aren't dirt bikes mostly for tearing around in the grass and dirt paths and such and not as actual transportation? I'm wavering on the idea but don't want to be responsible for the death of my eldest son.

Also, vegan cousin singled herself out by refusing to eat with non-vegans. She could've been seated with her parents or family that would probably be used to her bitching about them eating meat in her vicinity.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Troublemaker posted:

He'll probably break a wrist or collarbone eventually, but dying from a dirt bike accident is relatively rare (as long as there's a helmet involved) because there's less speed, asphalt, and moving multi-ton chunks of metal compared to riding on a road. Off-road deaths make up something like 1% of motorcycle deaths.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He'll probably break a wrist or collarbone eventually, but dying from a dirt bike accident is relatively rare (as long as there's a helmet involved) because there's less speed, asphalt, and moving multi-ton chunks of metal compared to riding on a road. Off-road deaths make up something like 1% of motorcycle deaths.

How much motorcycle riding generally is done off-road, though?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Troublemaker posted:

Aren't dirt bikes mostly for tearing around in the grass and dirt paths and such and not as actual transportation? I'm wavering on the idea but don't want to be responsible for the death of my eldest son.

yes, exactly. You ride them on trails or on dunes where some shithead cannot turn left in front of you at a light and kill you

I am an edge case because I come from a family of dirt bike riders and we have property with miles of trails we've cut through the woods. I learned on a little 50cc trail hopper when I was six or seven.

but there are plenty of places with trails you can go to and ride for cheap, where the only thing you need to worry about is your own ability (or dumbasses on ATVs)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Troublemaker posted:

https://twitter.com/rahsh33m/status/1547777219463811074

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
plated dinner weddings suck. feel like im the one getting married to that meal option i choose 9 months ago!!! also will cost u more

open bar. buffet style catering, minimal decorations, i guarantee you will enjoy your wedding a bit more.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

20 Blunts posted:

plated dinner weddings suck. feel like im the one getting married to that meal option i choose 9 months ago!!! also will cost u more

open bar. buffet style catering, minimal decorations, i guarantee you will enjoy your wedding a bit more.

This is the real answer, tbh. Here's the vegan-guaranteed buffet, the meat stuff's over here, dig in.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you get your kid a dirtbike you don't get to complain about his broken wrist or fractured pelvis or whatever he ends up with, but he's almost certainly not going to die in a dirtbiking accident. Motorcycles are lethally dangerous because they share the road with cars and trucks, dirtbikes aren't really in the same class.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for "overstepping" my role as godmother?

quote:

So, about 3 months ago my beautiful nephew was born into the world. A little context into this, me and my husband have been trying to have a child since we got married 4 years ago. Nothing has worked. We're at a point where it seems that adoption or surrogacy is our only real option. So when my sister got pregnant after only a few months of being married to BIL, I got jealous. I won't lie about that. But, my sister came to me and said she knew what I was going through and wanted me to be her son's godmother. I was ecstatic and decided I would do whatever was needed to help my sister and BIL out.

Well, things have quickly gone sour. It all started when I just asked if it would be possible to be present when she gives birth. She got incredibly offended at a simple question and blew up at me. After my nephew entered this world, I was over to their house every morning to help out. I made my sister and BIl breakfast lunch and dinner and bought whatever they needed. I now think that they have been taking advantage of me on this but I digress. Well, my BIL quickly turned on me claiming I was "demasculinizing" him by constantly second-guessing his decisions when it came to my nephew. My BIL can be headstrong and just not think sometimes so I only ever offered my advice when I felt it was appropriate. Sister also turned on me recently when she wanted BIL to take the baby for a couple of hours so she could take a bath and watch a movie. I jumped in and said I would help so they could maybe have some alone time together and she got incredibly annoyed and asked me to leave that day.

Well, last night I was over at their house again and offered to take the baby for a couple of hours. They told me no and said that I need to leave as soon as I'm done with the dinner that I made. I got pouty and said I wasn't getting enough time with my nephew and my sister just lost it. Claims that I am an annoying presence who will not leave her alone for a single minute of the day. BIL chimed in and called me a "backseat mother" and told me in a very rude and explicit tone that I am not their child's "third parent."

I did not partake in this and left, but called my mother up and the rest of the family agree they were way out of line. Well, only an hour later my sister called me back and said I am no longer welcome at their house and accused me of using our mom to shame her into letting me backseat mother her child (which is a complete lie.) I called her out for exploiting my service and only giving me the role of godmother so I can be their chef and buy them thing and hung up.

Well, now the rest of the family is starting to change their tune, with people taking sides and either calling me a controlling backseat mother or exploited. So, AITA in this situation?

But I was ONly TRYing to HELP.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Look, I only offer my advice when it's appropriate, I can't help it if that's at every moment I'm around

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

pentyne posted:

motorcycle guys are just horse girls with a higher change of getting killed via their hobby.

So you're saying motorcycle guys like to horse around? :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Was ironically incapable of finding a solution other than running to mummy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's the proper term to differentiate a powered off-road bicycle (such as a dirt bike) from an unpowered one? Mountain Bike? I think we used them all interchangeably when I was growing up because only an idiot would use a powered one around all the cliffs and it was usually clear from context whether the person was an idiot.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Bruceski posted:

What's the proper term to differentiate a powered off-road bicycle (such as a dirt bike) from an unpowered one? Mountain Bike? I think we used them all interchangeably when I was growing up because only an idiot would use a powered one around all the cliffs and it was usually clear from context whether the person was an idiot.

street legal

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gay frog chemicals posted:

If you get your kid a dirtbike you don't get to complain about his broken wrist or fractured pelvis or whatever he ends up with, but he's almost certainly not going to die in a dirtbiking accident. Motorcycles are lethally dangerous because they share the road with cars and trucks, dirtbikes aren't really in the same class.

From knowing someone who went dirtbiking and riding ATVs constantly, they said the chance of death was really really low if you follow the rules, and really really high if you don't. Most of the deaths are from people doing the kinds of show-off or stunt things that the casual observer would look at and go "drat that looks really dangerous" while also not wearing a helmet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

street legal

what? street legality always refers to powered bikes (or cars)

to answer the original question, a dirtbike is always powered. a mountain bike is always unpowered. mopeds are not-very-fast powered bikes with pedals; they can be more dirtbike-ish or more scooter-ish.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Kuros posted:

When I was younger, I didn't understand why labeling something as "for a wedding" marked the price up by a lot, but now I understand it's simply a built in rear end in a top hat tax.

Honestly it also covers a lot of extra poo poo. Informal party means get some pictures, ideally of everyone. Wedding means get pictures of pretty much everyone but also get a poo poo load of very specific pictures and boy howdy they better be amazing. Also yes, everyone will at best be incredibly stressed and running around being crazy people and there should be a tax for dealing with that.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bruceski posted:

my understanding is that mountain bikes are just bicycles and dirtbikes have motors and i wouldn't use them interchangeably

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"She got incredibly offended at a simple question and blew up at me."

10:1 odds that the simple question was "Aren't you doing [infant care activity] wrong?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Seems like she was also just smothering the couple as well.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Thanks for the dirt bike chat! Good to know my child may possibly only be maimed instead of dead, and that dirt bikes aren't necessarily a gateway drug to motorcycles. I'll look into them a bit more.

As for the sister/godmother, good lord. She says she's gone over every single morning for 3 months. If she's also cooking their lunch and dinner I wonder if she just stays all day, or is constantly coming back over and nonstop being up in their poo poo. I doubt they've even had much time alone as a family without her being there. Did they even ask her to cook all their meals and buy them poo poo or did she take it upon herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Troublemaker posted:

Did they even ask her to cook all their meals and buy them poo poo or did she take it upon herself?

She complains that she thinks they were taking advantage of her but doesn't say they ever actually asked her, which means they definitely didn't ask her.