Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The REAL Goobusters posted:

drat AU/NZ humor fuckin sucks

"U Wot M8?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Deathgasm was fun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

What are we supposed to be mad about?

Please repost so I can get :mad:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

adhuin posted:

What are we supposed to be mad about?

Please repost so I can get :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYl48TKSAcE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The effect of doing films for the paycheck. You can be so detached from it that you simply don't care.

Gotta love punching down for humor. It's the best kind of humor, hitting the lowest on the totem pole. They've been living large for far too long.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Love and thunder was pretty decent imo. It tried a bit too hard to be funny, but surprisingly it actually succeeded some of the time. I enjoyed Stormbreaker spending the entire movie being a catty bitch and Thor's RIP LOKI tramp stamp. But at the same time there's some mood whiplash when the movie suddenly expects us to take it seriously during the more dramatic bits. Can't wait for Jane's heroic death to be completely undermined by her being replaced by her identical twin from another universe.

And yeah some of the special effects didn't look great if you're the kind of person who gives a poo poo about that. I'm legit unsure if the weapons, Zeus' lightning bolt especially, were supposed to look like literal theater props or if that was an accident.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

On the Reddit post thing someone said Jon favauru sent champagne to all the artists after the jungle book won. That’s pretty cool. More people should do nice things for them.

I remember when Life of Pi won Best Director, Ang Lee thanked a poo poo ton of people, but didn't thank his visual FX team. Which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, since that movie is like one giant visual effect. Though, the FX team had already won their own Oscar that night, so maybe he figured they were already thanked?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I remember when Life of Pi won Best Director, Ang Lee thanked a poo poo ton of people, but didn't thank his visual FX team. Which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, since that movie is like one giant visual effect. Though, the FX team had already won their own Oscar that night, so maybe he figured they were already thanked?

I think it's because he made a similarly tone deaf comment in his speech and it collided with the fact that company was going out of business despite it's great work, highlighting systemic issues in the industry. Again a confluence of things/poor timing.

As for newfound hatred for Waititi I do think it's part of a pattern. I think a lot of filmmakers who receive a lot of early praise suffer quite the significant backlash. I remember around the release of Inception, Christopher Nolan could no wrong. However, around the release of Interstellar people were tripping over each other to rip him to pieces. They strike me as similar cases as both came after two films that were not as well received as their previous films, Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar for Nolan, and Jojo and Love and Thunder for Waititi, and when that happens it opens the idea that "maybe they were never good", as if their less satisfactory recent work has exposed them as frauds. So you get people who always disliked the filmmaker but who kept relatively quiet during when it was unpopular to say so really hammering in the point, and then others who kind of get pulled along with it.

The interesting part is things start to swing back eventually and often there's a backlash to the backlash. Spielberg has been through this cycle like five or six times.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it sucks. But it’s just like, I guess this thing happened on Reddit which I didn’t know about so I’m reading about it, but it’s really not a new thing. The working conditions have been garbage and rushed forever and with multiple studios and it should be changed.

I think the main issue here is timing. Like it wasn't super public knowledge how universally the conditions sucked until it started building a few years ago and it was just in recent weeks we started getting insider commentary about how working for the MCU specifically sucked a ton because of how they treat people (or at least, that poo poo went viral recently).

I think it's just unfortunately super bad timing on Taika's part, he maybe meant it as self-deprecating since he is the director but literally seeing a bunch of anonymous comments on a Thursday about how the MCU treats VFX artists like poo poo then seeing this seemingly good natured guy go "lol that poo poo looks fake" seems to be the main ignition point here

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
VFX guys have been getting it really bad for at least 20 years (I know 3 personally) and it's the exact same conditions as game development: there's 20 jobs and 50 applicants so the industry can just totally poo poo on their employees and the choice is either to take it or leave. I guess the good news is just like vidya games there's an indie movie market now where solo/duo/trio teams can make shorts on their own schedule that hopefully support them financially.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 11, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Xpost from CineD Discord WRT VFX people

https://twitter.com/SnyderContent/status/1546513973675454464

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

She isn't the director.

For real, “why aren’t we outraged at this actress too?” wasn’t what I was expecting to read after hearing about this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well too bad, you read it. Wot u gon do about it m8

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can do what I did, and realize that Twitter is a mentally unhealthy cesspit of tribal backbiting, and delete it.

It's fun to be angry and outraged, for sure, but much like junk food a steady diet of it will ruin your (mental) health.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You can do what I did, and realize that Twitter is a mentally unhealthy cesspit of tribal backbiting, and delete it.

It's fun to be angry and outraged, for sure, but much like junk food a steady diet of it will ruin your (mental) health.

Speaking as someone who hasn't ever been you just get that all secondhand

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, Taika is now "woke" because Our Flag Is Death is the gayest running show right now, so there's a lot of bad faith pile on, outside of people who default hate anyone too popular at the time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Interview with the Vampire doesn't do the "dawn is approaching and we have but one coffin" bit from the book, so no, it is not gay enough

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mymla posted:

Love and thunder was pretty decent imo. It tried a bit too hard to be funny, but surprisingly it actually succeeded some of the time. I enjoyed Stormbreaker spending the entire movie being a catty bitch and Thor's RIP LOKI tramp stamp. But at the same time there's some mood whiplash when the movie suddenly expects us to take it seriously during the more dramatic bits. Can't wait for Jane's heroic death to be completely undermined by her being replaced by her identical twin from another universe.

And yeah some of the special effects didn't look great if you're the kind of person who gives a poo poo about that. I'm legit unsure if the weapons, Zeus' lightning bolt especially, were supposed to look like literal theater props or if that was an accident.

Lot more likely she'll be showing up again as a Valkyrie like they were setting up (scuttlebutt is that Lena Headey filmed scenes as the dead leader of the Valkyries that were cut, even) just like in the comics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or I can just continue to not give my money to Marvel/Disney. :shrug:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's weird to see Taika's video described as just Aus/NZ humour, or even self deprecating. making GBS threads on other people's work that you signed off on isn't self deprecating. It's the opposite of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Speaking as someone who hasn't ever been you just get that all secondhand

Right but it's the unfiltered stuff that's the worst.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Or I can just continue to not give my money to Marvel/Disney. :shrug:

This doesn't contradict MJ's very good advice to log off social media forever

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pirate Jet posted:

If you’re referring to the one with Doctor Doom it’s almost certainly fake. But if it’s not, it’ll be hilariously shameless for Marvel to make the Black Panther sequel mostly about another franchise.

Not really. Black Panther was introduced in Fantastic Four #52. It would be symmetry to drop the first links to the FF in a Black Panther movie.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Almost everything ever said about the film centers around how it subverts things, so I'm willing to take it on faith that it does. Maybe everyone is wrong, but if they are then I don't care enough to find out. I have no opinion on the film itself, since I haven't seen it; I probably wasn't going to enjoy it though because I generally don't like any of the Star Wars films. So I'd already decided not to bother with the rest of the trilogy before The Last Jedi actually came out based on The Force Awakens. Or maybe it was less of a conscious decision, and more of an subconscious one.

Regardless, I found The Force Awakens boring, but even if it's boring the fact the second film throws out a lot of things set up in it, which are then thrown out themselves by Rise of Skywalker would probably annoy me, because I'd prefer to see dull ideas built on than have them just thrown away in favor of new ones. At least within things that are supposed to build on each other. So nothing I've heard about the film has made me interested in seeing it.

J. J. Abram's The Force Awakens mostly just set up a of bunch questions. Who is Snoke? What happened to turn Ben Skywalker evil? What's been up with Luke all this time? What's the deal with Rey's parents? And that would have been fine if J.J. Abrams was going to direct the second and third movies to pay off and answer those questions. But he wasn't and he didn't (third one aside). So it was left to the next guy to answer all those mysterious questions, which he did: Snoke was some wannabe Palpatine who Kylo hilariously shanked. Snoke manipulated Ben into becoming Kylo and Luke cemented that in one really bad moment. Luke's been sucking on space-titty milk and regret since he hosed up with Ben and got his school butchered. Rey's parents were child-abandoning asshats. You don't have to like the answers that you got, but since Abrams left his questions in Rian Johnson's hands (presumably without attempting to coordinate with him on the answers) then you get the answers you got. Johnson didn't retcon anything that Abrams set up. He just took the story where he wanted it to go to answer those previous questions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Everyone posted:

J. J. Abram's The Force Awakens mostly just set up a of bunch questions. Who is Snoke? What happened to turn Ben Skywalker evil? What's been up with Luke all this time? What's the deal with Rey's parents? And that would have been fine if J.J. Abrams was going to direct the second and third movies to pay off and answer those questions. But he wasn't and he didn't (third one aside). So it was left to the next guy to answer all those mysterious questions, which he did: Snoke was some wannabe Palpatine who Kylo hilariously shanked. Snoke manipulated Ben into becoming Kylo and Luke cemented that in one really bad moment. Luke's been sucking on space-titty milk and regret since he hosed up with Ben and got his school butchered. Rey's parents were child-abandoning asshats. You don't have to like the answers that you got, but since Abrams left his questions in Rian Johnson's hands (presumably without attempting to coordinate with him on the answers) then you get the answers you got. Johnson didn't retcon anything that Abrams set up. He just took the story where he wanted it to go to answer those previous questions.

That doesn't make this poo poo any less dumb.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Please, I'm begging you, take Star Wars chat to the Star Wars thread(s).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Some of this also has to do with how VFX studios are run. In the pre-covid days, a director would maybe visit the VFX studios in person once during the run of the show, and they'd be locked away in a review suite for the entire day with only the highest level people on the show interacting with them. Usually this is done to protect the artists, since some directors can be pretty big assholes (or just don't know how to give constructive VFX feedback), and their notes have to be filtered through a couple of people to make them artist-friendly. Not all of them are like this, but directors and artists are usually pretty insulated from each other by design, so it takes specific effort on the part of a director to actually have any face time with the team. Usually the ones who make that effort are the directors who have actually worked in VFX and animation themselves, and appreciate from experience what the team is going through.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Robot Style posted:

Some of this also has to do with how VFX studios are run. In the pre-covid days, a director would maybe visit the VFX studios in person once during the run of the show, and they'd be locked away in a review suite for the entire day with only the highest level people on the show interacting with them. Usually this is done to protect the artists, since some directors can be pretty big assholes (or just don't know how to give constructive VFX feedback), and their notes have to be filtered through a couple of people to make them artist-friendly. Not all of them are like this, but directors and artists are usually pretty insulated from each other by design, so it takes specific effort on the part of a director to actually have any face time with the team. Usually the ones who make that effort are the directors who have actually worked in VFX and animation themselves, and appreciate from experience what the team is going through.

Do you know if other VFX artists share similar sentiments about Joseph Kosinski as they do Snyder? I know Kosinski comes from an architecture background, so I'm assuming he'd similiarly be one of the easier directors to work with.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I haven't heard anything about Kosinski specifically, but I imagine his background would help, since a lot of it involved 3D modelling so he'd have built up a vocabulary that's at least in the ballpark of a VFX pipeline.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Standing over someone's shoulder with his CAD hat on saying "more polygons. more. keep going."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Standing over someone's shoulder with his CAD hat on saying "more polygons. more. keep going."

"Isometric perspective you fool!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

josh04 posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This whole interview is lmao

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1548106275828903939

[edit] Lol

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1548087515558674433

Says the man who directed a movie that generated nearly $3 billion at the box office.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 16, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1548087515558674433

Says the man who directed a movie that generated nearly $3 billion at the box office.

He's right, though. Preventing movies from being available in any way except the theater (with all of the travel, logistical, and associated costs) is something that we don't tolerate in any other industry. If Microsoft required people to go to Staples to get every update for Windows or Amazon made you pick up every purchase yourself (and charged you an additional cost to do so), then we would rightly say that they are just forcing us to use a middleman to extract extra money. There isn't something sacred about that business model and the idea that studios, directors, and theaters are preventing people from watching at home "for their own good" is really silly.

Getting mad at him for saying that because he had a successful movie is basically the cinema version of this comic:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 16, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm not mad, lmao. I'm laughing at him because I think his opinion is silly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1548103965140602885

The correct take, imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of people can’t go to the theater because of Covid. I’d call theaters a sacred space but wouldn’t mind if they did a day of home release too for the people that can’t go

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

And yeah, I'm not at all against day and date releases, or the 45-day post release streaming premiere. Those are cool and good, 100% for sure. It's a guy who has directed some of the highest grossing films of all time dictating what is considered elitist or not in the moviegoing space that's pretty lol to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

No. You can have that option, but making it the only one for consumers "for their own good" because they don't really understand the sacredness of the institution is silly.

The entire film industry is a for-profit industry. Requiring everyone to go through a middleman and preventing people who physically can't go to theaters for various reasons is even more profit grabbing than letting everyone have options.

This seems like you have a weird thing against Russo and are just getting mad at anything they say. Supporting a corporate monopoly on the venue and ability to view a film is not sticking it to the man.