Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

If you haven't actually read Mr boop, you should.

I started. It was extremely cringeworthy. So I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

That's a lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know that nobody in this thread can be trusted but I promise you stopped too soon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That tweet was the first good thing to come out of it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah, mr boop is poo poo, ironic poo poo is still poo poo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cowards

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Mr.boop goes some places, is it ok to apply Freudian reading to the text cause the author is a self insert and he sure does like writing about his sex hangups

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tiberius Christ posted:

Mr.boop goes some places, is it ok to apply Freudian reading to the text cause the author is a self insert and he sure does like writing about his sex hangups

The Freudian reading is that he wants to gently caress his wife (who is Betty Boop)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
that's like saying Powerup Comics sucks because of the art and metalevels of irony, which I can understand but I really like that, too. honestly if you bounced off it that hard you probably won't like it as it gets weirder.

in conclusion,

Empty Sandwich posted:

nobody in this thread can be trusted

e:

thetoughestbean posted:

The Freudian reading is that he wants to gently caress his wife (who is Betty Boop)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The only reading of it that I care about is the one I did where I started and was bored and rolling my eyes so I stopped.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The only reading of it that I care about is the one I did where I started and was bored and rolling my eyes so I stopped.

ah, yes, a derridean reading

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Empty Sandwich posted:

ah, yes, a derridean reading
Yes, it was quite dreadful. :v:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I just want to say that "For Lacan, the circus is always in town" is an amazing burn and I want to use it in real life some day.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was just about to post that exact comment.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This was about 2 weeks after The Force Awakens came out. That's on you Santa

Putting in an extra one to finish off this arc.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This one's my favourite punchline in the series

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

U04

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Jul 16, 2022

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

AUTO SHOP 154 - recreate the car that Johnny Cash describes in One Piece at a Time

four and three and two and one...I gave the kid the pancake and the trauma was done

To be honest, I really don't give them much in the way of a budget.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

e-dt posted:

four and three and two and one...I gave the kid the pancake and the trauma was done

For some reason I think about this one all the time, along with suckin dick bought this van and you can do anything you want in life.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a section at the end of each physical volume of Vinland Saga has a small Q&A with the mangaka, Makoto Yukimura. A question for the volume I just finished asked “What advice would you have for aspiring writers or comics artists looking for inspiration?”

Makoto Yukimura posted:

I don’t see myself as a creator with a wealth of creativity and inspiration. Because of that, in order to get one thing done, I make sure to put in three times the effort and hours compared to creators born with excellent talent. Though inborn talent is unfair, time and effort are fair. I compensate for talent with time and effort. However, there is one thing I would like to propose young people who dream of being manga creators do: Always ask yourself, “Why?” to yourself, to your work, keep asking, “Why? Why?” Why do I write this piece? Why did I pick this setting? Why does this turn of events occur in the story? Why did I make this character appear? Why did I kill this character off, or why did I let them live? Why is this building constructed this way? Why is the tree growing there? Why is the mountain this shape, and why is it here — why? I ask “why” to everything.

Some questions are easily answered. Some things you can find out right away by doing research in books. However, there will always be some questions to which the answers are hard to find. Even if you do figure out the answer for the moment, that answer may lead to even bigger, even deeper questions. And that never stops. You are fortunate if you can arrive at such a question. That will most likely be the core of your work. Something like that, with so much universality captured within, must be written about; perhaps it is even worth risking your life to write about it. If you can ponder it, agonize over it, and keep chasing it, and then somehow transformed that process into entertainment, you will probably create something good.

It seems that a lot of people stop in the middle of their chase for understanding universality. That’s why I believe that there is meaning in continuing to ask, “why” even more, going even deeper, even further, for everyone else’s sake. Then, after you’ve talked everything out and finally obtained the answer, it’ll probably be hard to contain – do you want everyone else to hear it. Most likely, you’ll feel a new sense of duty to relay this answer to others. Till that happens, keep asking questions. That is how I write my manga.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Maybe
Imogen
Spare
Tower
Looking for a box

Perfect

Crash

Silver lining

Sorry for the delay! I'll do a second Trixie post later today to get back on track.

Deaths: 7 (+2; 1 red demon monster, 1 commander) (also maybe the elephant? Last we see it, it's alive though)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jul 17, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

I have always assumed that the one fault in this comic's portrayal of California transit is the idea that anyone would notice an alien sneaking on board and starting to blast people.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Duckburg is in Calisota, actually.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
tomato tomacco

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The biggest surprise coming into this comic is that THIS character is not named Trixie Slaughteraxe

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

more like trixie slaughterelephant

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Also Lyndon Painatorium is probably the best character name in any comic, ever

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

julius saunamassacre is a great name, he hasn't come up yet but the comic is all great names

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 1b)

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 1bi)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tree Bucket posted:

Also Lyndon Painatorium is probably the best character name in any comic, ever

Actually the best character name will be introduced after this first adventure is over (page 59) Hank Genocide

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Sleve McDichael posted:

Right, time to start postin' my favourite Junji Ito stuff. Hope y'all enjoy/are grossed out!

The Groaning Drain

Round two! This one is a little slow, but things will get weird soon...

In the next installment: drains, groaning

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm glad Ito moved to mundane slice of life comics.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That girl deserves whatever her upcoming gruesome fate is, she just gave an additional task to someone on the point of heading home from work

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kennel posted:

I'm glad Ito moved to mundane slice of life comics.

Shimizu convinces Kari to come over to her house, but instead of being driven away by Shimizu’s mom he learns the value of hygiene and makes an effort to clean himself up in order to impress her. Over time he forms a friendship with Shimizu’s mom, who also learns to be less uptight about cleanliness, and eventually the two start a romantic relationship. Shimizu is weirded out by this at first but she was honest when she said she had no interest in Kari regardless of his hygiene and besides she is very busy studying for college exams. The relationship is actually a boon for her as she can now study better without having to deal with her mother’s neurosis over cleanliness and eventually makes it to Tokyo University. Nothing weird happens whatsoever

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Having a greasy gropey smelly stalker and being urged to just quietly resign yourself to your fate as a mundane slice of life story is far more upsetting body horror than whatever supernatural poo poo that dude will go on to do.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Having a greasy gropey smelly stalker and being urged to just quietly resign yourself to your fate as a mundane slice of life story is far more upsetting body horror than whatever supernatural poo poo that dude will go on to do.

The Enigma of It's Your Fault For Dressing Like That

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!
Maybe the wrong place to ask, but does anyone recall a comic that had the punchline "goddamn sex blimp!" or something to that effect?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Batman #36, 2017

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Supes could hear everything Batman was saying, he was mirroring it to Lois because it amuses him. He sees and hears everything, he's just loving around with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

DC comics just let Superman and Batman gently caress and keep it canon