Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm sure she misheard 'Grenadine'

e: What a poo poo snipe. 176 - What a poo poo number. Nothing happened with 176. It was also a poo poo year too. Probably.

e2: 176 is apparently a Cake number

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One young kiddie on maths cried all the water out of his body. Just imagine how his mother felt. It's a loving disgrace.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

sebzilla posted:

Someone posted a recommendation and link to water absorbing towel things for hot weather a week or so back. I'd like to buy some but can't find the link. Anyone have it to hand?

e: nm the search function actually did its job https://www.amazon.co.uk/FROGG-TOGGS-Unisexs-Cooling-6-Pack/dp/B08L5LPDST/

Fwiw I ordered a pack of these, unfortunately it said they'll only arrive on 28th July or something, but in fact they showed up earlier this week. No guarantees y'all will get as lucky though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
regarding the tory party tv thingy, are there not any rules regarding one party getting tv exposure on a whatever the gently caress channel 4 is, without other parties getting the same?

Or is that restricted to an general election or they used channel 4 to avoid rules?

Cos like if you want to trick(lol) a population into thinking we're a one party state then this seems like it helps.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I dunno I thought they did televised debate stuff for the Labour leadership too?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

I dunno I thought they did televised debate stuff for the Labour leadership too?

They did in 2015 for sure. I can't remember for 2020.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jippa posted:

Does anyone have good up to date benefit fraud vs tax avoidance charts/visuals etc?

Not quite what you were asking for but:

https://www.ft.com/content/00e7a52d-d85e-467c-b287-5d592b37035c

HMRC to publish estimates of UK offshore tax evasion
Hundreds of billions of pounds thought to be held in tax havens

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They did in 2015 for sure. I can't remember for 2020.

Seems they did for at least some of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-KalrqlUM

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Interesting article (from FT but not paywalled)

https://archive.ph/guf8M

quote:

Is Britain tiring of the culture wars?
Brexit was supposed to have left the country bitterly divided. But Henry Mance finds identity battles losing their grip on the national conversation

Graph of mentions of 'culture wars' in the media

I wonder what happened between 2015-2017 to make it start increasing and then rocket up after 2019. Hm. Can't think.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Who the hell would watch the Tory loving leadership debate

It's

Cut taxes
Boris continuity
gently caress jeremyitler
CUT THE GOVERNMENT SERVICES ANOTHER 20% TO SAVE BRITAIN... To which I'd ask .. WHAT are they going to cut?
Free ports and Singapore style trade.

Oh and EU economic integration because the rules are unfair!

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
They did do televised debates for the Labour leadership, and it’s not just the Tory MPs that vote for this, the party members are the ones who make the final vote.

In a way it’s good that they televise this as hopefully the general public can see the internal party insanity and be put off.

I find it weird how many of you find it weird that they are televised though. I mean the party conferences are also televised. Would you prefer all of this just being hidden behind closed doors?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
After my previous post fretting about the lack of bees in my garden, I can now confirm that there are TOO MANY BEES and must propose a cull.

Seriously the butterfly bush in my back garden is ALIVE with them. It's genuinely noisy to be around. It's awesome.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hobo posted:

Would you prefer all of this just being hidden behind closed doors?
Good point, it's probably prevented at least three cases of child and livestock abuse being in public.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hobo posted:

. Would you prefer all of this just being hidden behind closed doors?

That depends - are the doors merely closed, or welded shut?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As long as they actually check the capsule for children this time.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
One thing that's been really striking is that despite talk of tax cuts I don't think any of them have suggested cutting VAT, the one tax that has the biggest impact on prices and is most affected by inflation

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

That's because only poors pay it. They all run everything through their businesses as expenses

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could sell it as a Brexit bonus, one of the more legitimate criticisms of the EU is their obsession with VAT as a way of raising revenue, and how that really best suits an industrial economy with large conglomerates rather than an SME service economy.

There's an old joke that goes "Democrats think VAT is too regressive and the Republicans think it's too European. The only way you'll get America to implement it is to convince the Dems that it's European and the Republicans that it's regressive."

Same goes in reverse with the Tories, the only way you'll get them on the anti-VAT train is to link it to the European project and stoke a popular anti-VAT sentiment that way.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

You could sell it as a Brexit bonus, one of the more legitimate criticisms of the EU is their obsession with VAT as a way of raising revenue, and how that really best suits an industrial economy with large conglomerates rather than an SME service economy.

There's an old joke that goes "Democrats think VAT is too regressive and the Republicans think it's too European. The only way you'll get America to implement it is to convince the Dems that it's European and the Republicans that it's regressive."

Same goes in reverse with the Tories, the only way you'll get them on the anti-VAT train is to link it to the European project and stoke a popular anti-VAT sentiment that way.

They have it in the US though they just call it something else and it isn't included in the price labels on anything

E: they call it Sales Tax. It's set at the state level and its every bit as regressive

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 16, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

One thing that's been really striking is that despite talk of tax cuts I don't think any of them have suggested cutting VAT, the one tax that has the biggest impact on prices and is most affected by inflation

In addition to what jiggerypokery said, they're mostly concerned with cutting tax for the higher brackets. So they have more money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jiggerypokery posted:

They have it in the US though they just call it something else and it isn't included in the price labels on anything
There's no federal sales tax, nor a VAT exchange mechanism between states like the EU has, and you get all kinds of bullshit like city and county sales taxes on top of state sales taxes, so it's even dumber than VAT, but supposedly easier for small businesses to calculate than VAT paperwork.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jiggerypokery posted:

E: they call it Sales Tax. It's set at the state level and its every bit as regressive
Yes it's sales tax and it's always a surprise what it is because there can be state, local tax and city taxes, different rates for different things, and none of that is written on the label.

Also that talk about IDs feels almost like american-level exceptionalism. Oh no, how would they figure out how to give out the first one? Certainly a problem that literally everyone else hasn't solved yet lol.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Most of you will be way too young to remember but before VAT, the UK had 'purchase tax'.

quote:

1940-1973 – The Purchase Tax
The precursor of VAT in the UK was the Purchase Tax, which existed between 1940-1973. Its name was slightly misleading since it was added during the manufacturing and distribution process rather than at retail outlets.

This tax was created to help finance military expenditure during the 2nd World War and at one point reached a staggering 100%.

source: https://www.familymoney.co.uk/uk-tax/uk-tax-essentials/history-complexities-vat-uk/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The point of that old joke isn't that US sales taxes aren't a mess, it's that if you want to start an anti-VAT crusade your best bet is convincing the soft-left that it's regressive and the swivel eyed tories that it's EU boogalooga bearocracy red tape nation of shopkeepers. None of the latter care that it's regressive or exacerbating inflationary pressure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There's no federal sales tax, nor a VAT exchange mechanism between states like the EU has, and you get all kinds of bullshit like city and county sales taxes on top of state sales taxes, so it's even dumber than VAT, but supposedly easier for small businesses to calculate than VAT paperwork.

The big thing is that US retail sales taxes have no cross-reporting requirements, unlike VAT, which means it’s difficult to impossible to trace tax evasion - and the reason why they don’t have just a federal VAT is basically that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i would make it so when someone has accrued wealth over a certain threshold, it all gets confiscated and they have to start over again with nothing

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

:laffo:

quote:

Keir Starmer scraps pledge to end NHS private sector outsourcing
Labour leader suggests breaking promise could help him win election

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-nhs-pledge-privatisation-b2123849.html

There is no goose too golden for this man.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
keir starmer scraps pledge to be keir starmer it was old man tony blairs all along :iiam:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

crispix posted:

i would make it so when someone has accrued wealth over a certain threshold, it all gets confiscated and they have to start over again with nothing

I would make it so that when someone accrues wealth over a certain threshold, some small % would go towards building the infrastructure and social safety nets that make it possible for individuals to accrue wealth.

Imagine if they just did the basics

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
but under my policy the aristocracy get moved into council flats, think of the channel 5 programming possibilities

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(the queen can have a bungalow for her poor mobility - I'm not a total bastard)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

It's weird until you realise that this isn't for the voting public. This is a signal to Newspaper owners and rich cunts that he's a good boy who's going to govern somewhere to the Right of Theresa May and they're banking on it getting them enough favourable press that they won't be ratfucked into oblivion by the press. Looking at the polling numbers today it's not a bad strategy, it does however depend entirely on the press not immediately betraying them like they did with every Labour leader that tried this that wasn't godfather to Murdoch's hideous spawn.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

crispix posted:

Like prestiging in Call of Duty, give them a cool badge to wear or something that they can show off and you’ll get people enthusiastic to

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's weird until you realise that this isn't for the voting public. This is a signal to Newspaper owners and rich cunts that he's a good boy who's going to govern somewhere to the Right of Theresa May and they're banking on it getting them enough favourable press that they won't be ratfucked into oblivion by the press. Looking at the polling numbers today it's not a bad strategy, it does however depend entirely on the press not immediately betraying them like they did with every Labour leader that tried this that wasn't godfather to Murdoch's hideous spawn.

And yet he and the bunch of cunts controlling him are all too stupid to realise the press will never back him. They've got the Tories; they don't need another, less charismatic oval office to back.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

Wimp. My integer overflow is signed, it goes into the negatives and they're now a zillion pounds in debt. Then they take out a loan and it underflows back to positive figures i guess. The resulting wild fluctuations in positive and negative wealth makes it impossible to measure anything in the economy and in the ensuing chaos I buy myself a moderately sized house with public funds

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

kingturnip posted:

And yet he and the bunch of cunts controlling him are all too stupid to realise the press will never back him. They've got the Tories; they don't need another, less charismatic oval office to back.

They're all making tremendous amounts of money in the meantime and the Tory party will one day hit one too many icebergs and then the role of Captain of Captial's lifeboats get their day in the sun.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not quite what you were asking for but:

https://www.ft.com/content/00e7a52d-d85e-467c-b287-5d592b37035c

HMRC to publish estimates of UK offshore tax evasion
Hundreds of billions of pounds thought to be held in tax havens

Thank you.

e- What do you think benefit fraud would roughly be per year in the UK?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 16, 2022

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Like this?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yes, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Noxville posted:

Like prestiging in Call of Duty, give them a cool badge to wear or something that they can show off and you’ll get people enthusiastic to

Just give them one of these

https://youtu.be/TaA5p4cFRrE