Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

probably one of ZSJ's finishers that's a full run on sentence
They're all names of post-rock bands/albums/songs because that's a genre trend for some weird reason.

Kvantum posted:

Cocaine, or Adderall. Sometimes he seems like he might be on one, sometimes the other.
He seems to have pretty classic ADHD behavior and the meds for it can make people really hyper and social.

He's so excited! He's so excited! He's so... so... scared...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lamuella posted:

Also a very good EP.

ZSJs taste in music is impeccable

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

sticklefifer posted:

They're all names of post-rock bands/albums/songs because that's a genre trend for some weird reason.

Hes also had:

The name of his friends band (Cremation Lily)
A Stewart Lee comedy bit (Orienteering with Napalm Death)
and the self explanatory 'Tesco Value Meal Deal'

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Okada is the real Stewart Lee fan, performing a loving tribute every match by doing a maddeningly boring bit over and over specifically to annoy the crowd

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
lmbo

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Hes also had:

The name of his friends band (Cremation Lily)
A Stewart Lee comedy bit (Orienteering with Napalm Death)
and the self explanatory 'Tesco Value Meal Deal'

I want to say he also recently won a match with a move called "Barry from Eastenders" but I might have dreamed that.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

jesus WEP posted:

Okada is the real Stewart Lee fan, performing a loving tribute every match by doing a maddeningly boring bit over and over specifically to annoy the crowd

these days, if you do the money clip...

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Hoss Corncave posted:

I want to say he also recently won a match with a move called "Barry from Eastenders" but I might have dreamed that.

See the back of this shirt.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Thanlis posted:

See the back of this shirt.

Just when I think I couldn't enjoy the man more I find out he has a Brass Eye reference for one too.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Mate, I don't even know what clarky can means.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Cat. Cat - a Clarky Cat.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
If Steve Austin doesn't turn heel at WrestleMania 17, what happens? Do all those viewers still switch off? Was it just WCW viewers that switched off? Would a face Austin still work in 2001? Who would his opponents have been? How much longer could Austin have remained the face of WWF in 2001/2002? Austin himself hates his heel run (likely because he thinks he could have drawn bigger gates as a face). Was this the stupidest decision WWF ever made? Or doesn't it crack the top ten?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You run Austin as the face of WWE against WCW and bring in one of the big WCW guys for the feud (Goldberg) and make lots of money

Austin's heel turn is probably one of the top 3 or 5 booking mistakes WWE has ever done and than they followed it up with an even worse one with the WCW invasion

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Was this the stupidest decision WWF ever made? Or doesn't it crack the top ten?

It's definitely up there.

Somehow, they made it even worse by trying to turn Austin heel in Texas.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A lot of it is hindsight, to be honest. It was clear they were gearing towards an Austin heel turn. I suppose it would have been Austin leading the WWF against the incoming WCW guys, like Booker T and DDP, while guys like Jericho and Angle were built up to succeed him and The Rock. This would, I guess, also assume that the McMahons are able to curb their worst booking instincts like making GBS threads all over the non-WWF guys.

Meltzer has talked about how the profits from the Invasion PPV would have been enough to buy out the big WCW contracts from Time-Warner, but that seems to assume they'd have all taken the buy-out, instead of sitting at home and getting paid while doing gently caress-all (which, to be fair, is exactly what I'd have done in their position).

It's fun to speculate, but I guess it would have been a massive gently caress-up either way.

If I were to be magically given the book, it would have been better to integrate guys like DDP and Booker T into the main event/upper mid-card level, while building the guys they had in the undercard like Kanyon, Lance Storm, Chavo Jr, as well as tag teams like the Jung Dragons, and the Natural Born Thrillers guys until the Flairs, Goldbergs, et al were available around December~January.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

If Steve Austin doesn't turn heel at WrestleMania 17, what happens? Do all those viewers still switch off? Was it just WCW viewers that switched off? Would a face Austin still work in 2001? Who would his opponents have been? How much longer could Austin have remained the face of WWF in 2001/2002? Austin himself hates his heel run (likely because he thinks he could have drawn bigger gates as a face). Was this the stupidest decision WWF ever made? Or doesn't it crack the top ten?

Probably isnt that big of a mistake as WWF at the time didnt really have a deep main event scene as it was basically some combination of vince, rock, austin, taker, and hhh for the preceeding five years while the midcard existed purely to be fed to those people. So flipping austin could have worked out if only because it would make new story possibilities that hadnt already been well run over by that point.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Austin's heel turn didn't create any new main eventers and setback Angle's ascent to the top greatly and helped solidify HHH's grasp on power

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Austin's heel turn didn't create any new main eventers and setback Angle's ascent to the top greatly and helped solidify HHH's grasp on power

I mean if Austin stays face he does what? Feud with HHH and delay Jericho and Benoits main event push, such as it was, because the power trip doesn't happen and HHH doesn't have his quad blow out?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I was listening to the VOW podcast and I think they mentioned Kidani disliking how NJPW brings up their young lions. So I was wondering...do you think excursions are necessary nowadays? Surely YLs can watch tapes of various types of wrestling and can have a vet explain why things didn't or did work.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was Sting the only one who wouldn't have taken a WWE contract if offered? I remember him making a big deal about not liking the WWE product at the time because he was a born again Christian.

I don't know if a Hogan lead WCW Invasion would've worked given the egos involved but it sure sounds better than heel Austin.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I was listening to the VOW podcast and I think they mentioned Kidani disliking how NJPW brings up their young lions. So I was wondering...do you think excursions are necessary nowadays? Surely YLs can watch tapes of various types of wrestling and can have a vet explain why things didn't or did work.

Tapes are no replacement for actually wrestling people. You gotta get a feel for crowds imo.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If excursions didn't exist, Tomoyuki Oka would still be the virgin otaku bringing his body pillow to the dojo rather than the sexually confident national hero (who is still an otaku) he is today

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean if Austin stays face he does what? Feud with HHH and delay Jericho and Benoits main event push, such as it was, because the power trip doesn't happen and HHH doesn't have his quad blow out?

Do a proper feud with a Heel Kurt at first than transition into Austin vs WCW. And Jericho and Benoit sure as hell didn't get a proper main event push out of this, and Jericho ended up in an even worse position being a glorified belt pillow till HHH came back

TV Zombie posted:

I read Kidani's quotes as not wanting to get rid of excursions as more wanting the younger talent to work on character earlier than they do right now. Plus giving them shows at home to work on stuff before they go on excursion would also be good as while working undercard tags is good getting proper single matches of varying lengths is also good.

Also having a domestic back up in place would be good in case travel gets messed up again

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They should bring back the Lions Gate shows they had in Shinjuku FACE. Those were always an easy watch

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I don't keep up with NJPW religiously and I see people talk about how bad House of Torture sucks, can anyone give me a brief summary of who they are and why they suck poo poo?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TheKingslayer posted:

I don't keep up with NJPW religiously and I see people talk about how bad House of Torture sucks, can anyone give me a brief summary of who they are and why they suck poo poo?

Constant interference grinding every match to a halt, crushing the potential of EVIL who was an entertaining if limited hoss before he completely changed his style up for HoT (and had a lackluster world title reign to go with it). I will say they have gotten a lot more palatable over the last couple of months since they are pretty much a lower card comedy stable now. Dick Togo interference is still the absolute shits, but SHO has transistioned into an incredibly entertaining slapstick heel since joining the House, a far cry from when he almost singlehandedly ruined the finals of last year's Best of Super Junior

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

People really liked how NJPW has mostly clean finishes and low amounts of interference, especially at the top of the card. House of Torture is all interference and dirty finishes and pushed as a main event crew.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

What, broadly, are the reasons for mainstream Japanese wrestling having a "tours and tournaments" model rather than a "weekly TV" model?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lamuella posted:

What, broadly, are the reasons for mainstream Japanese wrestling having a "tours and tournaments" model rather than a "weekly TV" model?

Japan is very dense which means that people can attend live far more easily than they could in America. You could rely on people seeing multiple shows a month/week, which makes tournaments more viable.

Think how the American north east around New York/the tri-state area has always been a hot bed and incubator for wrestling and extend that to an entire country.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 16, 2022

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I agree. I think people overlook that Austin’s face return was a terrible feud against heel Rikishi which is perhaps a sign that everything was quickly running out of steam in WWF.

As bad as WCW had been in 2000, and as much fantasy booking of the Invasion you can do, I don’t think there’s any way around the audience loss that goes from Nitro dying. American wrestling gets cut in half overnight. The brand split years later is a band aid on a missing arm.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Their TV partners are all fine with plucking matches from shows instead of having an NJPW equivalent to Raw. And crucially, there isn’t the same cash-cow cable market to the same extent as in the US (it does exist, but take up is very low). Live televised sports is very different in Japan in any case, it’s almost like the 1980s in the US where variety shows still exist and things that aren’t football still draw ratings.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

keithy george posted:

I agree. I think people overlook that Austin’s face return was a terrible feud against heel Rikishi which is perhaps a sign that everything was quickly running out of steam in WWF.

As bad as WCW had been in 2000, and as much fantasy booking of the Invasion you can do, I don’t think there’s any way around the audience loss that goes from Nitro dying. American wrestling gets cut in half overnight. The brand split years later is a band aid on a missing arm.

WWE was probably never going to gain the core WCW audience as they wanted WCW/NWA wrestling. But they sure as hell bled their audience during Austin's heel turn/WCW invasion and they could of really avoided that

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's interesting is that Smackdown started in '99. If they'd just waited a little longer to have a B-show, it could've been their WCW exclusive show.

Also if, you know, they didn't launch their post-buyout WCW content with a Buff Bagwell match.

edit: If you want to get technical, Smackdown was a reaction to WCW Thunder launching in '98, so in a roundabout way WCW dug their own grave on that one. :v:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 16, 2022

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

TheKingslayer posted:

I like house of torture mostly.

The reason some fans don't like them is that they cheat all the time but the way they cheat hurts the match because they are so clumsy. Evil and dick Togo in particular are pretty oafish with the way they cheat.

Like Jay/Gedo as an act cheat as well but they are much better at it.

Anyways since they added SHO they have been fun. Njpw have made them idiot stooges who fail all the time like team rocket. They have made me laugh more than Yano does.

I guess this g1 will be a test if I like hot or just really like sicko gamer SHO

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is Colt Cabana gone from AEW? He was notably missing from the Dark Order promo on last week's Dynamite.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
he's going to be part of roh, by all accounts

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I feel like I heard in this thread the entirely reasonable point that he probably does not want to share a literal locker room with C.M. Punk

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I like house of torture mostly.

The reason some fans don't like them is that they cheat all the time but the way they cheat hurts the match because they are so clumsy. Evil and dick Togo in particular are pretty oafish with the way they cheat.

Like Jay/Gedo as an act cheat as well but they are much better at it.

Anyways since they added SHO they have been fun. Njpw have made them idiot stooges who fail all the time like team rocket. They have made me laugh more than Yano does.

I guess this g1 will be a test if I like hot or just really like sicko gamer SHO

I think them all getting trapped in the dog cage was a good sign the whole faction is going this way. Yujiro's two G1s have been inoffensive compared to EVIL's so I'm only really worried about EVIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

EVIL matches could 100% feel samey at times when he was in LIJ so it's more an EVIL issue than a HOT issue but hey maybe he'll learn like Taco's did and become good one day