Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

uhhhhhhhhhh,.......,.,,,,,, YEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
nah they're wrong about that one

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
smh if you didnt come out of the womb loving music that came out 25 years before you were born that hasn't had regular play on the radio in a decade

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i'll gatekeep getting into metallica because you shouldn't they suck

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

KungFu Grip posted:

nah gatekeeping music discovery is lame, maybe not Guitar Hero (though the number of people who discovered the Edgar Winter Group through that is astonomical) but film, TV, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2...

so long as good music keeps being rediscovered and passed down its all good

The kids are alright.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

and have for decades, but 80s-early 90s is still worth holding onto. The Rolling Stones have sucked far longer than Metallica.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The_Rob posted:

All I know is Mishima a life in four chapters is an incredible film and has my favorite Phillip glass score.

Its been a long time, but I remember reading Runaway Horses and Confessions of a Mask. He really is an interesting author and the way he ended his life was something out of a movie

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
my post was more that metallica was still heavily played through most millennials lives on the radio and not through guitar hero and they were in the news with the first big backlash to piracy i was aware of and released a new album in 2003.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

my post was more that metallica was still heavily played through most millennials lives on the radio and not through guitar hero and they were in the news with the first big backlash to piracy i was aware of and released a new album in 2003.

Im guessing it's just the common error that people think millennials means the younger generation rather than 40 to 30 year olds

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
For some reason people still think "Millennial" refers to dumb college kids and not like, 37 year olds

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Duke Pukem posted:

Im guessing it's just the common error that people think millennials means the younger generation rather than 40 to 30 year olds

you're right, the oldest zoomers are 25 and youngest millenials are roughly 26 so theres an overlap era

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Drakkel posted:

For some reason people still think "Millennial" refers to dumb college kids and not like, 37 year olds

All those articles complaining about how millennials were ruining _____ really did a number on people

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the first guitar hero came out in 2005 y'all. millennials were in fact playing the series in high school and college

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Yeah 90% of millennials don't listen to metal. Weird opinion!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Metallica is a gateway drug to Judas Priest and that is all right.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

People forgetting the best way to discover old music is by having it be a Jojo ending

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Oil! posted:

Speaking of Judas Priest and Mishima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxV7GTbqC10

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Oil! posted:

Guitar Hero is a gateway drug to Helmet, Butthole Surfers and The Stone Roses and that's good too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

still holding out hope that 80's hair metal is going to make a comeback

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyLJ-fWbSI

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Millennials discovered Metallica through Napster, because they raised the biggest stink about it.

It is funny that, 20 years later, a new generation is discovering Metallica through royalty-free TikTok videos. This poo poo just keeps happening to them!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

the only band worse than metallica is acdc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Smh if you didn't discover Metallica through the Sandman's ECW entrances

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
The only good thing to come out of Metallica was Megadeth

Thats right i said it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

stab posted:

Thats right i said it

:chloe:

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

smh if u didnt get into metal from seeing the ytmnd of chairman kaga biting into a whole bell pepper while dragonforce plays

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Normal people get into metal because of pro wrestlers using it as entrance music.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Gatekeeping is already dumb to begin with but it's even dumber to gatekeep something like Metallica that's already very widely known and accepted as mainstream.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I got into metal because my dad played Iron Maiden in the car growing up, I assume everyone else is also me

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Zombie Lemur posted:

Gatekeeping is already dumb to begin with but it's even dumber to gatekeep something like Metallica that's already very widely known and accepted as mainstream.

honestly this is the thing i see more actually, people making fun of younger people acting like metallica is some obscure band and not some mainstream rock band. if thats what bandit is also seeing its just them using "gatekeeping" wrong.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I can’t make fun of people discovering music, I first heard one of my favorite artists in a car commercial.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

KungFu Grip posted:

honestly this is the thing i see more actually, people making fun of younger people acting like metallica is some obscure band and not some mainstream rock band. if thats what bandit is also seeing its just them using "gatekeeping" wrong.

That could be.

My partner's niece is a big Stranger Things fan and she didn't know Metallica existed up until they were played on the show. It seems weird to me because they were so ubiquitous when I was growing up, but it's not super crazy in the grand scheme of things.

RandolphCarter posted:

I can’t make fun of people discovering music, I first heard one of my favorite artists in a car commercial.

Nick Drake?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bunch of loser nerds learning about media from other media

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

KungFu Grip posted:

Nah, this started because there were a bunch of TikTok comments by Metallica fans whining about how a lot of the new fans were people who just saw Stranger Things, then the Metallica account itself responded to one of them saying it doesn't matter.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

When St. Anger came out and everybody hated it I went and listened to their whole back catalog so I could truly appreciate Metallica before saying their new album sucked. Before then I just knew their radio hits.

St. Anger made me a Metallica fan

edit: it’s cool that the kids are listening to Kate Bush now

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Zombie Lemur posted:

That could be.

My partner's niece is a big Stranger Things fan and she didn't know Metallica existed up until they were played on the show. It seems weird to me because they were so ubiquitous when I was growing up, but it's not super crazy in the grand scheme of things.

Nick Drake?

Joanna Newsom. It was Bridges and Baloons.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 16, 2022

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

RandolphCarter posted:

Joanna Newsom. It was Bridges and Baloons.

Ah, I know a bunch of people who got into Nick Drake because Pink Moon was on a commercial for a car that I'm too lazy to google.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Dinah Shore, I assume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhR8GZ_WWMM

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

stab posted:

Thats right i said it

Megadeth have one and half good albums, while Metallica have two!

MancXVI posted:

When St. Anger came out and everybody hated it I went and listened to their whole back catalog so I could truly appreciate Metallica before saying their new album sucked. Before then I just knew their radio hits.

St. Anger made me a Metallica fan

edit: it’s cool that the kids are listening to Kate Bush now

Motherfuckers will make fun of the snare sound on St. Anger but then drop $500 on first press vinyl copies of black metal demos with the exact same drum sound.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 16, 2022

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Nah, this started because there were a bunch of TikTok comments by Metallica fans whining about how a lot of the new fans were people who just saw Stranger Things, then the Metallica account itself responded to one of them saying it doesn't matter.

Of course, nothing else matters.

It would be better if no one remembered Metallica existed and that they never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Dimebags Brain posted:

Megadeth have one and half good albums, while Metallica have two!

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All are three!