Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seamonster posted:

I know this is wrong but my eye test for DDR5 is just cut the speed in half, then cut the latencies in half and poof there's your DDR4 "equivalent" in all but bandwidth.

Yup, that’s called gear 2 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thanks but that’s mostly Greek to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That vid has some good info but mostly feels like they're trying to do some damage control after GN's A380 review.

To be fair its Intel's first real try to get into the dGPU market in a LONG time and no one gets it right the first time.

As far as making real money or taking big market share on their first try I think they're going to have to take the L on it though. Treat their current products as "pipe cleaners" to get the bugs worked out of their drivers and get some experience in the field. If they price it right it could be some decent value for your average person for the mid or higher end versions. The low end version doesn't seem worth bothering with unless you get it at some super low discount price.

It'll be drat interesting to see if Battlemage lives up to the hype of supposedly beating Lovelace or RDNA3 but that is still a year or so away.

Intel has literally years to get their drivers in good shape and they haven’t done that sooooo

I’m not holding my breath for anything they put out.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh, followon to our chatting about ddr4/5 the ryzen 5800X3D, best AM4 socket gaming chip by a bit and a contender for best available gaming CPU although that one would be with a pretty big asterisk, is ddr4 only and doesn't really require insanely tuned ram to put up those numbers. it's a very strange chip in a lot of ways (plz amd make a 5600X3D i'm so ready) and it's VERY, VERY title dependent, but 3600 CL16 stuff which sidebar i would still call high end but goes on promo dirt cheap performs almost as good as extortionately expensive 12th gen DDR5 monsters like the 12900KS, better in some titles.

ddr5 is getting a lot better, that's better than the last time i looked and not really immensely shown in the UK promo i've seen, at least not yet, but i'm not paying as close attention to the ultra high end.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

Intel has literally years to get their drivers in good shape and they haven’t done that sooooo

I’m not holding my breath for anything they put out.
In terms of games part of why Intel will likely never catch up is because they don’t have the developer relationships that AMD / ATI and nVidia have had for like 20+ years in terms of optimizing drivers for buggy and odd games. Same story for why ATI had problems for so long against nVidia despite on paper superior hardware in many cases. Even if Intel had strictly superior hardware they won’t catch up fast.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So apparently Intel demonetised GN's A380 review? Fuckin lmao

E:nope I am bad at reading

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 15, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

No? Their video was momentarily demonetized and age-gated because youtube decided it had inappropriate content, but GN has no idea why this happened (or why it was ultimately resolved). Saying it was Intel who did it is a pretty big leap.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

How? I mean, what did they claim on the form :lol:

edit: automated process being confused by “mature” rated gameplay footage makes way more sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No? Their video was momentarily demonetized and age-gated because youtube decided it had inappropriate content, but GN has no idea why this happened (or why it was ultimately resolved). Saying it was Intel who did it is a pretty big leap.

Oh poo poo you're right, for some reason I substituted Intel in my head when I read YouTube

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

You basically bought an AIB TI at $30 over the base card’s MSRP, that’s a good deal regardless of the generation.

aaand now it's an extra 30 dollars less. with free games.

all I had to do was wait a few more days :negative:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I paid $100 more than that and had to buy stupid games to use it with :mad:

But there exist in this same world today people who paid $1300+ for a 3070 Ti, levels to this "woah I got hosed" game. It is what it is, PC market is contracting at a dramatic rate as people prioritize spending elsewhere at the same moment that stock is back online for a lot of things that were scarce enough to be scalped a few months back. GPUs in particular got that dynamite blast of huge miner inventory flooding the second hand market and creating brutal competition for retailers trying to move new products.

Still looking toward the 4000 series and wondering what I might try to get from them when the time comes. I bet it'd have to be a 4080 to really make the upgrade feel nice n' upgradey, though rumors of the 4070 having 3090 Ti performance are great to hear for people still holding out that would not be enough of a jump in my own performance to get my money at this point. Ideally I'd like to be able to game at 4K 60FPS with all the graphical trimmings, without having to use a lot of upscaling tech in games like Cyberpunk. If I could just get to Quality upscaling instead of Ultra Performance to turn the stuff on I like having on, that'd be great - DLSS is awesome but at that level you can see some texture issues, some geometry problems at a distance especially, and of course there are some jaggies to deal with too. Quality looks dope as hell but runs pretty bad for me unless I start turning things off.

Kinda hoping it's still a shitshow for GPU companies struggling to move stock because man it'd be awesome to get a nice price on something close to launch for a change. Games or not!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 15, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

aaand now it's an extra 30 dollars less. with free games.

all I had to do was wait a few more days :negative:

I mean, things change. It was still a good deal. I still feel like paying $100 more for a 3080 10 is over all a fine deal based on the last few years.

Where did you buy it from? Some stores have “price protection” for a month after purchase.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can't help but wonder what would've happened had gamers actually been allowed to buy graphics cards last year. I don't doubt that PC gaming is ultimately still growing, but it feels like such a missed opportunity that the unprecedented consumer demand was left largely unmet due to loving cryptocurrency, and now that demand has cooled down. Maybe the next generation of cards can reignite that demand, if prices and availability aren't out of control.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can't help but wonder what would've happened had gamers actually been allowed to buy graphics cards last year. I don't doubt that PC gaming is ultimately still growing, but it feels like such a missed opportunity that the unprecedented consumer demand was left largely unmet due to loving cryptocurrency, and now that demand has cooled down. Maybe the next generation of cards can reignite that demand, if prices and availability aren't out of control.

I don't understand how anyone can expect PC gaming to continue on very long when graphics cards alone cost more than what an entire gaming PC did when I was in high school. How do you expect young people to justify, let alone afford that cost when they have the alternative of a $500ish console.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

I don't understand how anyone can expect PC gaming to continue on very long when graphics cards alone cost more than what an entire gaming PC did when I was in high school. How do you expect young people to justify, let alone afford that cost when they have the alternative of a $500ish console.

Consoles have always been cheaper alternatives to PC gaming. Back when you could build a really good midrange gaming rig for like $800 or under, consoles cost $300 - $400. This hasn't really changed.

edit: And you can still build a decent rig for around $900, so it's not that bad. The value propositions between consoles and PCs don't seem too much different from how it used to be, to be honest. The biggest change is probably in how much you can do without a computer these days. Everyone's got a smartphone in their pockets that's about as powerful as a five-year-old laptop. That makes it harder to justify buying a PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 16, 2022

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, things change. It was still a good deal. I still feel like paying $100 more for a 3080 10 is over all a fine deal based on the last few years.

Where did you buy it from? Some stores have “price protection” for a month after purchase.

newegg. they were the only one with a consistently low priced 12gb model 3080.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

SpartanIvy posted:

PC gaming has always been expensive compared to consoles

Young people aren't expected to buy anything anyway, that is a wider problem across the developed world with politics and society, not just gaming PCs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

I remember paying about $1300 for my first gaming pc’s parts in 2003 so socket 754 athlon 64 and Radeon 9800 pro based. The PS2 and OG Xbox were $299 msrp.

$1300 in 2003 is $2093.50 today according to this page https://www.usinflationcalculator.com
$299 is $481.51.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also back then, it felt like if your GPU was older than a year old, you couldn't do poo poo with new games. You were roped into the 3d acceleration arms race or you'd fall hopelessly behind. Running HL2 on a Geforce 4 for instance was not a terribly fun time, though it sorta worked once I installed an aftermarket cooler to deal with my overheating issues, albeit at low frame rates and heavily dialed-down settings...

Nowadays, you can buy a 3060 or 6600 xt and you'll probably be able to play new games for years. People are still gaming today on Maxwell cards.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 16, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hobbesmaster posted:

I remember paying about $1300 for my first gaming pc’s parts in 2003 so socket 754 athlon 64 and Radeon 9800 pro based. The PS2 and OG Xbox were $299 msrp.

$1300 in 2003 is $2093.50 today according to this page https://www.usinflationcalculator.com
$299 is $481.51.

I stuck a $400 X800 Pro in a $450 eMachines discount special a year later, and it was fast as hell. Socket 939 Athlon 64.

Edit: I've continued the mental model that a gaming PC build budget should be spent 50% on GPU 50% on not GPU, and it's held pretty strong.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 16, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Holy poo poo it’s still in my newegg order history

Total $1526.80. 11/28/2003.
Athlon 64 3200 - $404
Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro - $305
Kingston ValuRAM 2x512MB DDR400 - $172
Chaintech nForce 3 mobo - $197.99
DVD+-RW - $105
160GB HDD - $130

At $650 today the equivalent CPU would be… uh AMD doesn’t have one at the moment! 5900X MSRP I guess? GPU is $491. RAM/Motherboard look ridiculous today at $277/$318. I seem to recall the motherboard being a massive overpriced mistake, but that would probably have been true of all socket 754 motherboards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Really all of socket 754 was a mistake, it was orphaned for 939 after like a year.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Resizable bar doesn’t do much, but that motherboard should support it. Do you have an at al recent BIOS and are you using UEFI boot instead of CSM?

Paul MaudDib posted:

note that you do need to have "above 4G decoding" enabled for it to even be a consideration. Sometimes there is also another BIOS toggle that needs to be set for rebar specifically.

Ah, that was indeed the problem. Neat!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For 1080p gaming I would have been able to build a PC for less than it cost us for a PS5

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I seem to recall the motherboard being a massive overpriced mistake,

I frequently made these mistakes early on. Always going for the higher-end variants with all the bells and whistles...that I never, ever used. Like firewire, lol. Wasting money that I should have put towards more RAM or a better CPU.

It's still an easy trap to fall in to, motherboards are by far my least favorite component to shop for.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SO DEMANDING posted:

I frequently made these mistakes early on. Always going for the higher-end variants with all the bells and whistles...that I never, ever used. Like firewire, lol. Wasting money that I should have put towards more RAM or a better CPU.

It's still an easy trap to fall in to, motherboards are by far my least favorite component to shop for.

I've always gone too cheap. I mean the ECS boards you got for free with a CPU at Fry's, the aforementioned emachine, the cheapest Gigabyte motherboard.

I've lived with decades of noisy onboard audio and USB ports that don't work.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I figured I was stuck with noisy audio because my motherboard was cheap, but I was surprised to learn that $6 would get me a USB to 3.5mm adapter with a built-in DAC. Whoops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

Many of those more expensive boards are better for stuff like power delivery. However I’m sure there are plenty of people with “LTT S tier” motherboards out there and 65W processors. And even if they had the highest end CPUs, the “S tier” description for LTT is 300A through the VRMs on ambient which is kinda meaningless because the only way you’re shoving 300A through a cpu socket is with LN2. Still, the motherboard can do it and that money is actually going into power ICs!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The last time I spent $300 on a motherboard (Maximus VIII Hero Alpha) it still had poo poo-tier crackling and popping onboard sound

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've never had a motherboard with crackling or popping in the sound. I think they've all had the same Realtek thingy everyone uses?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

VostokProgram posted:

I've never had a motherboard with crackling or popping in the sound. I think they've all had the same Realtek thingy everyone uses?

You may be surprised at the difference in quality that audio gear using the exact same chipsets can have. Implementation is a key factor.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

PC gaming has always been expensive compared to consoles

Young people aren't expected to buy anything anyway, that is a wider problem across the developed world with politics and society, not just gaming PCs.

I'd say with online fees and more expensive games on consoles, PC gaming tends to be cheaper but with higher upfront cost.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
In my experience, the cost of PC gaming for years has more or less been "if you have reason for a midrange desktop already, spend the cost of a console on a video card instead", and the GPU shortage was an anomaly there. You can extend your PC gaming budget upward by a lot from that level is all, but you don't need to unless you have the money to spend.

Console's more convenient, but it's mostly only cheaper if you wouldn't otherwise have a desktop. Which more and more people don't.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The cost of PC gaming is very low as far as hobbies go, even at its worst the last 12 months. That's why cost as a factor in its death will always be greatly exaggerated.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
High entry prices and bad component availability will absolutely hurt a hobby, just because it's not expensive compared to paragliding doesn't mean that's not an important factor.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yeah the growth rate was the reason that stuff was brought up and that's exactly the thing that will be affected pretty heavily by unfavorable price fluctuation. Not so much people who are already in

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You also have to take news stories about cooling demand in the wider context of the last several years, and not just this year vs last. A small dip after a period of unprecedented demand may still be up overall.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

SpartanIvy posted:

the awkward truth is that (and still very aware of the thread title!) outside places like here the divide between "gamer" and "miner" was much much fuzzier, definitely among the enthusiast set. it was mainstream enough to get an ltt video made about it, although the backlash was quite harsh. those high prices seem impossible to stomach in a vacuum but they aren't if you are subsidizing part of the expense against the expectation you can get some/all of it back running a casual miner on it during downtime or similar.

and even if you would never mine you're still influenced by this profoundly warped market environment, just one degree separated. i only upgraded after getting a miracle RRP because i knew my older but still perfectly good card would fetch a crazy high price - i didn't even time the market perfectly it got more insane after. i don't feel bad about that but i was for sure benefiting from the higher demand ultimately driven by the market. it's not that painful to buy a 600 dollar GPU if you reasonably expect to be able to sell it for most of that when you upgrade, and your relative investment is such much lower.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

You can play most of the big big PC games on a toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The most common GPU on steam surveys for a while was the GTX 1060 and it probably still is today. They make games with that general level of hardware in mind. A small number of developers learned the hard way you can't just make PC exclusive games aimed at the top end only, it's not a good money-spinner, unless you're a kickstarter grifter. Crytek nearly bankrupted itself at one point.