Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Filthy Hans posted:

it's at 1045 feet right now and projected to drop 20 feet over the next 12 months

at that rate in 7.5 years it will hit 895 feet, the point at which the Hoover Dam can no longer generate electricity

By precedent, we know it's always worse and it's always sooner. Therefore, we should expect Hoover Dam to fail generating electricity... *checks notes* last week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans posted:

it's at 1045 feet right now and projected to drop 20 feet over the next 12 months

at that rate in 7.5 years it will hit 895 feet, the point at which the Hoover Dam can no longer generate electricity

this is way too slow

i wish it would happen in the next 3 months

we need a good dose of panic forcefully injected into every american in the southwest

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Careful what you wish for.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Wisest Moron posted:

By precedent, we know it's always worse and it's always sooner. Therefore, we should expect Hoover Dam to fail generating electricity... *checks notes* last week?
I'm tired of all the predictions being too optimistic.

Hoover dam to reach deadpool by end of year due to dam failure from lack of water causing unforeseen problems in structural stability, leading to unregulated water release of remaining pool.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hoover runs out of power next year after Nevada successfully manages to divert part of the Mississippi river and The New Mississippi Alliance retaliates

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
if a pandemic that kills a million americans over the course of two years doesn't strike fear into everyone, well, idfk what exactly will

e: oh yeah, everyone running out of water and electricity and dying from heat at the same time, that's right

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOH5d4Kf2jg

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Alobar posted:

if a pandemic that kills a million americans over the course of two years doesn't strike fear into everyone, well, idfk what exactly will

e: oh yeah, everyone running out of water and electricity and dying from heat at the same time, that's right

there've been plenty of stories about water running out by now and we know from covid it'll take more than a 9/11 per day of deaths to break into the news cycle if it's been dismissed as not happening or old news or whatever

this going down will be a human interest story run regionally and buried on national news within days

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

I'm tired of all the predictions being too optimistic.

Hoover dam to reach deadpool by end of year due to dam failure from lack of water causing unforeseen problems in structural stability, leading to unregulated water release of remaining pool.

dual collapse of both glen canyon and hoover dams would produce content the likes of which we've never seen

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

The Wisest Moron posted:

Careful what you wish for.

yeah i am in washington state and i don't assume i'm safe; i assume every crazed boomer, rich karen, and oakley goatee with an ar-15 south of vegas and west of albuquerque is making a beeline straight up here when shtf

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Complications posted:

there've been plenty of stories about water running out by now and we know from covid it'll take more than a 9/11 per day of deaths to break into the news cycle if it's been dismissed as not happening or old news or whatever

Difference between 9/11 and COVID is the twin towers was an attack on banks and financial companies. Covid only affects the proles who can't afford private healthcare.

Only one set of people matter in the eyes of the establishment.

Marenghi has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Jul 16, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Looks like Grandma gets no respite in 2022

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lytton-wildifre-2022-nohomin-creek-1.6521622

quote:

6 homes destroyed as out-of-control wildfire burns near Lytton, B.C., dozens evacuated

This town was completely incinerated in 2021 during the heat dome.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

it's happened before
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_the_Isonzo

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I take no pleasure in reporting that our emTme3 is at it again, but I didn't get a reply the last time I sent an admin a pm and I don't have the wherewithal for another sex pest weirdo right now.

quote:

emTme3 wrote on Jul 12, 2022 18:05:
i'm not an anti-communist, i'm an eco-communist, and i wasn't supporting pedophilia.

this is my position: a scientific understanding of enjoyment necessitates abandoning moral approaches. this demoralization of enjoyment in no way 'justifies' any enjoyment, if anything, it makes it all 'unjustifiable', including pedophilia.

i hope that cleared things up for you. i hope you've also noticed how all ya'lls response to that post proves the point the post was making. the moralizing of enjoyment is about in-group inclusion. it's politics.

quote:

Zodium wrote on Jul 12, 2022 18:33:
morality is behavior, and behavior is real. meditate on this and the three-part chaos zen truth that everything is real and true and hilarious. do not contact me until you understand this.

quote:

emTme3 wrote on Jul 16, 2022 01:57:
morality is an a posteriori symbolic interpretation of behavior, which is indeed real. so is morality. but it is not the only possible interpretation of behavior, nor is it a scientific one.

enjoyment is an amoral mechanism, and moralizing enjoyment is a way to cover up that trauma so you (+ your in-group) don't have to face the unpleasant realization that the enjoyment of the lover and the rapist and the murderer and the torturer are all on the same spectrum, dictated by the same structures, different modalities of the same blind process.

in the meantime, sex pests get executed. bad for morale.

quote:

Zodium wrote on Jul 16, 2022 04:24:
didn't read, busy excluding another pedophilia defender from my in-group.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Great example of it not mattering how many books one has read, how educated, or how intelligent one is. Some people are just LIFETIME morons.

quote:

in the meantime, sex pests get executed. bad for morale.

What is bad for morale is a socially stunted moron who thinks having a public discussion on the amorality of enjoyment of pedophilia is warranted in the climate change thread. The fact that this dude is so far up his own rear end that he thought that posting this poo poo was going to get any kind of positive reaction is not just comical, it is a cause for concern.

Permaban.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Have we discussed making a new thread yet, I think it's about time

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I'm Doing My Part for the biosphere by trying to smoosh spotted latternfly nymphs. Slippery little fuckers though.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Zodium posted:

I take no pleasure in reporting that our emTme3 is at it again, but I didn't get a reply the last time I sent an admin a pm and I don't have the wherewithal for another sex pest weirdo right now.

what a strange hill of severed children's limbs for him to die on.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Zodium posted:

I don't really know or care what's going on but it seems like you're being obtuse and should avoid crapping up the thread with your DM reports.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's bad enough when the forum drama naturally occurs here, don't deliberately import it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you're right, i suggest reporting my post to the mods

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Complications posted:

this going down will be a human interest story run regionally and buried on national news within days

Flint's water situation left the collective attention span faster than the average modern mass shooting

"It doesn't matter if it happens to someone else, and if it happens to someone important to me at least it didn't happen to me, and if it happens to me at least my suffering's over"

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Microplastics posted:

It's bad enough when the forum drama naturally occurs here, don't deliberately import it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
All posters become more insane in direct proportion to the regularity of disastrous weather. Subscribe to my posts and check in this December for some truly unhinged content!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

All posters become more insane in direct proportion to the regularity of disastrous weather. Subscribe to my posts and check in this December for some truly unhinged content!

:hmmyes: epistemic collapse ftw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zodium posted:

Too much theory to function

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I like how the eco collapse is creating what is now a niche content market that is soon to go mainstream.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

I thought it was already at inactive pool (1050 feet or below) where they can no longer generate power

https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/nature/storage-capacity-of-lake-mead.htm

water level was 1041 as of this morning

https://mead.uslakes.info/Level/

dead pool is at 895 feet where in addition to not generating power, water can’t even flow past the dam

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/KarlMathiesen/status/1548230056392069120

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Karach posted:

Looks like Grandma gets no respite in 2022

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/lytton-wildifre-2022-nohomin-creek-1.6521622

This town was completely incinerated in 2021 during the heat dome.

The Goddess of Firenados got the east side of the river last year, she's back for the west side this time. She might also take out the rebuilding on the east side. Some of the residents sound like they're suffering from PTSD. Or maybe it's pre-Post. I dunno, PTSD in real time?

Apparently getting repeatedly burnt out is also bad for morale. Who knew?

Okay, Scotland running out of water?? Looks like this is the outer islands and not the mainland? I would guess those western islands are basically bare chunks of rock dependent on shallow pools being regularly replenished.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

When I was a kid doing the tour of Hoover Dam I remember the tour guide mentioning that the water in the reservoir was vital to maintaining the structural stability of the whole thing, and if the water gets too low it would collapse. This might be apocryphal since I can't really verify on google, but structural failures caused by low water and/or massive landslides seems possible. A failure on the Glen Canyon dam would lead to an impressive bath for the Grand Canyon, that would be some amazing content.

The projections and modeling on these rivers looks like it is just a reversion to the mean, the people in charge are just assuming things get back to normal over the course of a couple years. Here's hoping!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
is it possible for the current firestorms the world has been having to have one eventually wipe out a world city? or would human firefighting efforts always be enough to say, prevent LA from burning to the ground? As institutions crumble, I’ve found myself wondering…

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Popoto posted:

is it possible for the current firestorms the world has been having to have one eventually wipe out a world city? or would human firefighting efforts always be enough to say, prevent LA from burning to the ground? As institutions crumble, I’ve found myself wondering…

Already happened to a suburb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Fire

quote:

As of the evening of January 1, 2022, an estimated 1084 structures, including houses, a hotel and at least one shopping center, had burned as a result of the rapidly spreading Marshall Fire, and another 149 damaged.[24][25] Less than 12 hours after igniting, the fire surpassed the 2013 Black Forest Fire as the state's most destructive in terms of structures lost.
Definitely possible anywhere it gets dry and windy.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

When I was a kid doing the tour of Hoover Dam I remember the tour guide mentioning that the water in the reservoir was vital to maintaining the structural stability of the whole thing, and if the water gets too low it would collapse. This might be apocryphal since I can't really verify on google, but structural failures caused by low water and/or massive landslides seems possible. A failure on the Glen Canyon dam would lead to an impressive bath for the Grand Canyon, that would be some amazing content.

The projections and modeling on these rivers looks like it is just a reversion to the mean, the people in charge are just assuming things get back to normal over the course of a couple years. Here's hoping!

seems like something a tour guide would make up tbh, it's not like they build them with the water already there

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Popoto posted:

Human firefighting efforts can almost certainly save major cities. For now. The biggest fires are crown fires in forests - which have lots of overlapping, close packed, dry fuel in the form of trees and their canopies. Human buildings are always separated with natural firebreaks between them - roads and parking lots. This is why fires seem to run out of momentum really fast once they hit defendable towns. Also, most massive fires take place in undeveloped areas with lots of steep hills and valleys which badly restricts firefighter mobility, deployable numbers, and causes issues keeping everyone supplied with fuel and water and such. Major cities, as yet, have an effectively unlimited manpower, water, and fuel supply to fight fires with on top of massive transportation lanes allowing for extreme mobility by defenders. Cities like LA burn when those factors are obviated. Smaller towns can still get obliterated due to not having the depth to fight in or losing crucial parts of their defense.

Complications has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Jul 16, 2022

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Already happened to a suburb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Fire
Definitely possible anywhere it gets dry and windy.

Also the Oakland Hills conflagration: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_firestorm_of_1991

If you read the Cal Fire report, it is explicit that the only thing that kept the fire from burning the entirety of Berkeley and North Oakland was the winds died down before it got to the (giant and wooden) Claremont Hotel.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

AceClown posted:

seems like something a tour guide would make up tbh, it's not like they build them with the water already there

Maybe but maybe they also anticipate that the huge body of water could change the structural characteristics of the land under the dam?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

IAMKOREA posted:

Have we discussed making a new thread yet, I think it's about time

not until rime gets permaed and it sticks, thats the climate thread tradition

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah its a very old dam thats been under tremendous load for nearly a century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zodium posted:

I'll get an admin to look at this stuff. Thank you.