Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Owned containers are the other trap, but I feel like that's something most people wouldn't naturally run afoul of these days.

Technically you don't even need to use containers at all if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ironically, because it's an older game without a physics engine, its a lot simpler to decorate your house with momentos, and and physically store your supplies outside of containers, in Morrowind than Skyrim. My bedroom in my last playthrough had a shelf piled with clutter I would rummage through like someone searching for a missing tool. My closet had old camping equipment stuffed out of sight. Outside I had a wood stove, a fire pit, and a woodpile.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My OG Morrowind character had a base in a Solstheim barrow where I decorated every corpse shelf with rare artifacts. Daedric helmets, various artifacts, Azuras star containing Vivec's soul. etc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was always a big fan of living in caves

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

in Morrowind though I usually took over some fishing shack somewhere

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ironically, because it's an older game without a physics engine, its a lot simpler to decorate your house with momentos, and and physically store your supplies outside of containers, in Morrowind than Skyrim. My bedroom in my last playthrough had a shelf piled with clutter I would rummage through like someone searching for a missing tool. My closet had old camping equipment stuffed out of sight. Outside I had a wood stove, a fire pit, and a woodpile.

just use perfect placement https://streamable.com/an7qr

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want to finish my current playthru since I'm actually playing the expansions for the first time but after that I might start a new character for TR only stuff since that progress update looks amazing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mbt posted:

unsafe containers are a bit of a boogeyman. the only unsafe containers are guild hall chests

wait i thought that if you put a sword into a container that was owned, then later came back and grabbed it and then got busted by the cops, they would confiscate the sword even if you bought it on day 1 from arrille

e: beat

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I've been thinking of this mod i half-made that's entirely about containers, i should probably finish it before i die of old age, but i need to figure out how to move objects around without blowing the game up.

If there's a specific object i want, like a crate in a cave, do i need to do anything special to make it appear outside that cave? That was my biggest problem, i assume i f'd up the references somehow and while i could do things like move a crate around, changing loading zones in certain ways would cause it to flip out. You could steal the fargoth's ring barrel and slap it onto the roof of caius's house, but trying to put it down inside the census office would crash.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Kenshi does look cool but yeah, I doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I think I need a little bit of structure and content when playing. Like I'll make up a character who joins the Imperial Legion and eventually found faith and joined the Imperial Cult as well. But I wouldn't come up with the idea all by myself, like "I'm going to be legionnaire and build my only little fort and raid these dungeons for the good of my imaginary faction." I need the story too, even if it's barebones.

Maybe Morrowind has struck a perfect balance between providing content and keeping it so light you can make up whatever story or reasons for your actions you like.

Anyway, I've been finishing up some of the tougher fights in Tribunal. Gedna Revel was particularly fun. My last time fighting the lich was with my decked out OG character and I think I tanked her with a bunch of saved healing potions.

This time I'm a spear-weilding Argonian in non-echanted armor, specializing in alchemy and some magic but not being great at either. So if I chugged a bunch of resist fire, frost and magicka potions I could maybe avoid being insta-killed by one of her attacks for like a minute or so. Meant I had to use my speed (which was only really close to Gedna's) and weave in and out from behind pillars, dodging her magic and healing up, conjuring my bound spear again and getting a stab or two in before she had time to back away. It was tense!

Makes me wonder how my second, bow and arrow, light armor, character will fare against the werewolves in Hircine's labyrinth...

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Of course, this

mbt posted:

also when its released, tr will have more quests than vanilla morrowind + expansions

is the answer to the question "what else can I play that is like Morrowind."

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

mbt posted:

just use perfect placement https://streamable.com/an7qr

Perfect placement is something I can't live without now. So good.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Don’t let the cops catch you and you never have to worry about ownership

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Every in-game week or so I just open up my save in EE and clear the Stolen Items directory ngl tbh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I store everything on the greatest stronghold of all: my body, occasionally using the console to remove a daedric cuirass from my inventory (immediate -90 to carry weight)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I sometimes think I don't play Morrowind correctly

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The trick in Morrowind is to abuse the intelligence exploit to create potions of feather that remove 5000 or so weight from your inventory for several days.

Not fortify strength since that makes your weapons break super fast.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I store everything on the greatest stronghold of all: my body, occasionally using the console to remove a daedric cuirass from my inventory (immediate -90 to carry weight)

can you carry a negative number of daedric cuirasses?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

The trick in Morrowind is to abuse the intelligence exploit to create potions of feather that remove 5000 or so weight from your inventory for several days.

Not fortify strength since that makes your weapons break super fast.

The world of Morrowind makes a strong case for continuing adult education.

Trained be a trader? Got your mercantile up to 100? The pack guars keep dying or running away? Get ye to the Mages guild, invest in alchemy, chug some potions, carry more poo poo than a stilt strider could ever dream of.

Stay away from necromancy and no one will gently caress with you. No warp demons, no corruption of the soul, no witch hunters, nothing. Just mix them herbs and stay hydrated.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Since the Xbox days I have always made sure to keep a handful of flowers just in case. I got crippled fighting a bone walker under vivec. While I survived it was futile, I was trapped, naked, all my items on the ground, with 0/0 carry capacity. Couldn't even crawl.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Haha the damage strength monsters are the loving worst

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Seen in the gbs ai thread

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Morrowind doesn't have any high schoolers for him to date

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Since the Xbox days I have always made sure to keep a handful of flowers just in case. I got crippled fighting a bone walker under vivec. While I survived it was futile, I was trapped, naked, all my items on the ground, with 0/0 carry capacity. Couldn't even crawl.

gently caress off Ajira, you can't trick us anymore

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"What's the deal with Ash Vampires?"

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Vvardenfell Dunmer drive like THIS but Windhelm Dunmer drive like THIS

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
As I understand are all telvanni

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's an automation/management game in disguise

I really disagree. That's certainly a component of it, but that's not the game. 270+ hours and I barely ever used any of the automation. I spent almost all of it running around getting into trouble

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tips on a full cleaning of a Morrowind install?

People might recall a previously did a hybrid install of French Localization, french MCP, and other mods in English, and while it worked fine for that playthrough, I Don't seem to have completely started clean.

I uninstalled the game, I deleted the associated steam folder, I'm on a different Mod Organizer profile. Anything I missed?

Error messages when loading (mod file not found etc) are still in french, so there's still some stuff I haven't cleared.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't know very well but if I recall certain registry entries will persist even if you uninstall. I'm not sure how this might affect your case but it could be something to look into. Or a red herring.

I used to mess around in there a lot and if I remember right it's extremely odd what kinds of things got stored there vs what was stored in files in the game folder.

Are you 100% sure the game folder got completely wiped, and MO is on a fresh new profile pointed at a clean directory?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Tips on a full cleaning of a Morrowind install?

People might recall a previously did a hybrid install of French Localization, french MCP, and other mods in English, and while it worked fine for that playthrough, I Don't seem to have completely started clean.

I uninstalled the game, I deleted the associated steam folder, I'm on a different Mod Organizer profile. Anything I missed?

Error messages when loading (mod file not found etc) are still in french, so there's still some stuff I haven't cleared.

use gog install, brand new folder. steam install is always a mess for me

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Are you 100% sure the game folder got completely wiped, and MO is on a fresh new profile pointed at a clean directory?

I'm 100% sure I uninstalled the game, then opened the associated steam apps folder in file explorer and manually deleted it and all of its contents. I'm not actually 100% sure I didn't make some dumb dumb mistake with MO2 profiles, so I'll double check that.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FlocksOfMice posted:

When Morrowind came out, it literally changed my interaction with video games. I'm probably some flavor of autistic and I used to play video games kind of in parallel, playing them for a short bit and then getting bored and just kind of daydreaming out the rest? I mostly stuck to tabletop games because it was the only kind of play that wasn't so restrictive. RPGs were decent, Ultima 4 gave me the first taste of an actual free-roaming thing, Ultima 9 was the first game that really gave me a "no, hey here's a world that's yours inhabit it and have fun."

drat, are you me? I like to say that Morrowind is like the foundational game of my childhood because not only did it open my mind to the possibilities of things like that and set my expectations for open world games and RPG's in general going forward, but it's the gold standard I hold all other fantasy worlds and societies to.

I got in on Kenshi right around release, and it's really the only game that's scratched that same Morrowind itch much at all for me. Kenshi is what Morrowind-obsessed 12 year old me would've designed as his dream game - it's very much not for everybody, but if you're the type of person it is for and you can look past all the jank, it's a hell of a unique experience.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, just a little warning for anyone else reading the thread and buying Kenshi after only looking at screenshots: it's a third person game like baldurs gate or fallout 1 and 2; which just feels very different to me from Morrowind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol if you aren't constantly holding tab to watch your beautiful OC bunnyhop round the map.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's not so much about it being third or first person, for example I liked Outward, it's that there's a difference between "I am this character, my WASD is directly tied to their movement" vs "click here to watch your character go to this spot". And that's not to say I don't like those kinds of games, Baldurs Gate and Pillars of Eternity are all time greats, but I hadn't expected a "this game evokes Morrowind" type game to have such a different control system and user experience, and it's illustrating to me personally how essential I find this element of a game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's not so much about it being third or first person, for example I liked Outward, it's that there's a difference between "I am this character, my WASD is directly tied to their movement" vs "click here to watch your character go to this spot". And that's not to say I don't like those kinds of games, Baldurs Gate and Pillars of Eternity are all time greats, but I hadn't expected a "this game evokes Morrowind" type game to have such a different control system and user experience, and it's illustrating to me personally how essential I find this element of a game.

I bounced off Kenshi (well, I got a good dozen hours out of it) for basically the same reason. Went in expecting a third-person RPG but it controls more like a squad-based RTS which I found offputting

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I bounced off Kenshi (well, I got a good dozen hours out of it) for basically the same reason. Went in expecting a third-person RPG but it controls more like a squad-based RTS which I found offputting

Right, exactly, they just exist in very different lanes to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
In traditional genre terms Kenshi and Morrowind are no where near the same genre yeah it's that both are really the only two entries I've ever played in the "this is your dollhouse, tell what story you like and I'll try to back you up on it" genre.

Kenshi isn't even a good game, like there's really nothing different to ACQUIRE in the Fog Islands compared to the Gray Desert compared to the cannibals coast, like it doesn't even really reward exploration often with anything more than pretty scenery and new emergent events to affect your running story

in a genre with two games it's the worst of them, but it's also in second place, because it's a genre with like, two games

e: Spore is also in the same genre but it's so bad for it it is there by accident I feel and hardly counts including

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 18, 2022