Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Transmodiar posted:

From February 24

Buckle up - we're maybe at the halfway point!

Literally said "What the gently caress" to myself out loud when I read that. What the gently caress‽

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

From February 24

i'm going to beat tony depaul with my shoe

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maybe he's including "and then the Phantom, having heard Mozz's entire story, actually does stuff in real life" as part of "the story we're telling"

because the Phantom is about to die, Mozz's story is finally going to end.

right?

right????

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

right???????

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm willing to forgive everything if Mozz makes it so Kit Jr. kills his dad.

Well, okay, not everything, but a lot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

This comic always has good fashion

Yeah, popular streamers are always giving heartfelt looks into their painful private life, not presenting a superficial version of how fun and great their life is at all

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Are we the outliers here? Are other people enjoying this?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Transmodiar posted:

From February 24

lmao at Phantom forever.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Next to Mark Trail, I would.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tiggum posted:

given the popularity of utterly poo poo movies, probably yes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doesn't help that DePaul is so eager to explain in such great detail, and entirely unprompted, how he's the second coming of Alan Moore.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tiffany is going to reveal enough info about the house to get it burgled and lose a bunch of stuff belonging to her, her dad, and the people whose stuff she's storing.

The moral of this story will be "get hosed, Tiffany, you do not deserve happiness".

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

That background guy looks like he'd be a good time.

His codename is Ruff Trade

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I think what frustrates me most about this is that it feels like the basic concept of 'Old Man Mozz tells you a story of WHAT IF THE PHANTOM'S STATUS QUO WAS WILDLY ALTERED?!?' is actually a pretty easy route to tell neat stories the strip wouldn't otherwise have. But the presentation - especially the damned pacing - is just smothering the damned thing.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 13, 1952)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drakyn posted:

I think what frustrates me most about this is that it feels like the basic concept of 'Old Man Mozz tells you a story of WHAT IF THE PHANTOM'S STATUS QUO WAS WILDLY ALTERED?!?' is actually a pretty easy route to tell neat stories the strip wouldn't otherwise have. But the presentation - especially the damned pacing - is just smothering the damned thing.

Yeah, and ideally you wouldn't undercut every moment of drama by telling us in advance what's about to happen. Like, in this current section, no one's wondering what's going to happen because Mozz started it by saying "btw, phantom, this is the bit where you die."

Also, I'm wondering if that bit where Phantom told Diana how to find Kit was a mistake. That definitely happened, right? And it completely invalidates all of Mozz's concerns?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Phantom should get up and clock Mozz across the face.

Hey rear end in a top hat, did you see this coming?

Goddamn Val. I like how he keeps digging up with his shovel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Val's going to starve

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I will never get tired of stuff from the 30s using "making love" in a more chaste way :allears: . Also, classic Blondie still rules.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

I have a new favorite Wallace.

Heart of the City

Curtis

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
lol Val is so easy to bait.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

Pondus

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

As far as I can tell, these aren't just random creatures but things from Japanese folklore and mythology.

The bald-headed beaked things look like kappas, the two horned brute is probably an oni, the one-eyed thing in the straw hat could be a tofu kozo and that's where my Nioh/Ghostwire Tokyo knowledge ends.

Can someone identify the rest, or correctly identify any I hosed up?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As far as I can tell, these aren't just random creatures but things from Japanese folklore and mythology.

The bald-headed beaked things look like kappas, the two horned brute is probably an oni, the one-eyed thing in the straw hat could be a tofu kozo and that's where my Nioh/Ghostwire Tokyo knowledge ends.

fun hater over in the Bad Webcomics Thread did a little tabulation of the guests:

fun hater posted:

i REALLY dont know about the thing with the eva face. it looks like its from something but bearing that i have no idea so i took my next best guess. still not very satisfied with it. im not so sure about dear ratboy or the umibozu either.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Is that a Kamaitachi in the bottom left panel? The flying weasel from Ghostwire Tokyo? The one-eyed guy on the bottom right could be a hitotsume-kozō?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (July 19, 1975)

FunkyyyyyOH YOU ROTTEN FUCKER

Get your pitchforks and torches out. We're either getting a Sunday spread or a week of TomBat trying to reconstruct Val and all the rest from memory.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 15, 1939)

Out Our Way (May 8-10, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drakyn posted:

fun hater over in the Bad Webcomics Thread did a little tabulation of the guests:

Professor Wayne posted:

Is that a Kamaitachi in the bottom left panel? The flying weasel from Ghostwire Tokyo? The one-eyed guy on the bottom right could be a hitotsume-kozō?

Rad, thanks guys!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This is presented as a joke, but I can assure you I found out I had light sensitivity by going around doing this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Man TomBat is just desperate, isn't he?

LOVE ME.

Is he or Honorable Master worse?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's ego wanking rather than physically wanking. They both should be stopped.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Get your pitchforks and torches out. We're either getting a Sunday spread or a week of TomBat trying to reconstruct Val and all the rest from memory.

I've fallen for edits before, but you won't get me this time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

No, not like this...not like this.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Tiggum posted:

Commenters on CK are generally snarky and I don't really follow them much since I get enough (and better) comics commentary here, but looking today they don't seem to be complaining about the same stuff we are here, which is basically that this is going on too long and is pointless because it's a story Mozz is telling that still leaves the problem that Phantom has to rescue Savarna, which he is without a doubt going to do. Don't know what they say other days.

They do think that if Kit is about to kill Phantom it's a stupid and predictable twist (and I agree).

Drakyn posted:

I 100% agree with this.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Look, one of these old fuckers better die is all I'm saying.

Andertoons

That's just his roommate, Gregor.

Apartment 3-G

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 08, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks