Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

neato burrito posted:

Slay the Spire is a good game but you have to (say it with me, kids!) GIT GUD before it really starts to shine. I am still terrible but now understand that it's my fault and USUALLY could have done something different to get a better outcome.

I now save scum without feeling bad because I kinda want to climb the ascention ranks and it's loving brutal.

I think it's the lack of specific feedback.

With a lot of genres, you can usually figure out why you lost (didn't move, did move, did something too slow), but slay the spire 's gameplay of making a whole deck work together makes it hard to pick out where I went wrong sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i found Slay the Spire to be super easy to figure out, because i could relate it to MTG

i would imagine that for people who have never had to deckbuild before, it's mystifying. you gotta like, use math and stuff

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
steve online

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Goonfleet is imploding dramatically right now due to the mittani being a creepy sexpest psychopath and my opinion on this is: lol. Lmao.

Can you summarize or link to a summary? I like internet drama but the EVE thread is large.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harrow posted:

Well, now's a good time to do so, given the gigantic drama explosion that just happened in the SA EVE community.

I don't know the full details but the Mittani is either a sex pest or covered for another sex pest or both? I dunno, he and another EVE goon got perma'd and there's a lot of drama about it.

Both.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I'll say this about Morrowind. No one ever sexually harassed me while I was playing it.

Think about it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Doesn’t Eve implode regularly due to being Libertarianism: The Game, and people just like steal money and since there’s no space government there’s no way to do anything about it except start a civil war? To be fair though all my Eve knowledge comes from memes and that “This is REALLY Eve” YouTube parody.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

precision posted:

talking iso, looks like there's a Baldur's Gate-alike on gamepass now, called Solasta: Subtitle of the Fantasy Game

im about to play it rn i'll report back

This is fun as hell coop. Problems so far are enemy turns taking a long time, and no Respec ability. The cutscenes are visually janky enough to be funny, but I like all the options you get in conversations

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sebmojo posted:

This is fun as hell coop. Problems so far are enemy turns taking a long time, and no Respec ability. The cutscenes are visually janky enough to be funny, but I like all the options you get in conversations

agree. i like how you get to choose your party's personality quirks and then they show up in the cutscenes

definitely a solid time if you've already played Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland and just need more iso

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Can you summarize or link to a summary? I like internet drama but the EVE thread is large.

if you want more than this you will unfortunately have to read the EVE online thread. The drama implosion is ongoing and I'm thousands of posts behind lol

ded posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: composted post ahead :siren: :siren: :siren:

I've been going over this in my head for some time now. Thinking about why I am angry about this garbage fire. How the latest problems really started, and who enabled the whole thing.

The entire GSF leadership broke trust and enabled the Mittani and others to do some really nasty stuff.

When I got the email about the horn of goondor I was like, ya gently caress that noise. Months later I hear about the m2- fight and I look into the current state of goons in eve online. I see that there was an effort to clean things up. I see a guy who is articulate talking about the fight and whats going on in a twitch stream. I think to myself well why not. There is a pandemic and going outside could straight up kill me. Lets give this a shot.

I find that GSF had a cultural revolution that got rid of toxic gamer stuff like slurs and harassment. Everything was supposed to be cool and hey they even have a sig for LGBTQ+. Women also have a sig and seem to not be constantly gone after in creepy ways.
This turned out to be smoke and mirrors. The same rot of the old goonfleet was still there.
I should have seen the warning signs. They were everywhere. Just not spoken out loud until a bit later.

What signs you ask? The goonfleet forums has a giant wiki that for a very long time was an outstanding place to get general information about eve. As long as you overlooked the nonstop gamer words and slurs in it. The cultural revolution apparently never reached the wiki. It still had some useful things like how to tackle, how to get an overview setup, and how to install a program that is used for goon services and how to modify those things so they don't run like crap or look better. But it was still a giant pile of gamer words and slurs. When leadership was asked about this the answer was "oh we never got around to it". Big red flag right there. The “revolution” to remove these things was in 2012.

Who shined a light on this giant turd left by leadership? Delta Sqad.

The goonfleet forums themselves were also full of horrible emotes. Actual nazi emotes, slurs, rape jokes, you god damned name it. The absolute worst of the worst was there. When leadership was asked why is this still here? "oh we never got around to it". Another giant red flag. Again, the “revolution” to remove these kinds of things happened in 2012.

Who shined a light on this giant turd left by leadership? Delta Sqad.

Delta Sqad put in effort to clean these things. We were not able to clean it all but got some of it. You can still find slurs and gamer words in the wiki and horrible emotes on the forums. The single person who can remove those emotes is guess who? Innominate.

What did Delta Sqad get called for shining a light on these turds? Toxic.

Now fast forward a bit and the giant war has ended. The leader of Queerswarm (the GSF LGBTQ+ sig) is in a fleet and is directly called a slur. When the person who said this was confronted he not only double downed on it but triple downed on it. This was reported to leadership. Cryo made sure that illuminati (the GSF inner circle of leadership) was aware of this. Alterari made sure the guys corp GLD was notified. What did leadership do? They handed the problem off to Innominate. Days later nothing has been resolved. After some digging is done it is found out that the person who slurred "apologized" to his corp CEO and nothing further was done about it. You see he grew up in the 80s and was drunk so no harm no foul right? (this is not a joke this was what was actually said)

The person that was attacked was never spoken to about this. Never reached out to. In the eyes of the entire GSF no consequences occurred to someone personally attacking another via slurs in a GSF lead fleet. In fact to this very day he still has not had an actual apology of any sort.

In an effort to get some kind of actual resolution to this the person who was attacked made a call out thread about it in helldump on goonfleet.com. Delta is shining a light on yet another turd leadership left lying around. Delta is toxic. So so very toxic.

Only after this thread was made was action taken. About 1-2 days later anyways. The offending homophobe was airlocked and all was well. Right? Well no actually the entire corp he was a part of left the GSF because they had been told the problem was resolved before the kick. They went and put the homophobe back into the corp and joined HERO coalition.

Delta Sqad once again forced leadership to take action on something they said no longer happened in the GSF. Toxic.

Now the most recent event that grabbed everyone's attention. Mcwolf. During the war Mcwolf joined the GSF and also happened to be a Twitch streamer. She joined up with Delta Sqad because of our outstanding posting and streamed some of the fights we had with PAPI.

Some of the people who followed her online on various platforms got a bit too stalkerish. She used the available features on those platforms to block/remove the offending people but like many things online they just kept coming back. 2 of those people followed her in eve online as well. They went so far as to join the GSF to continue this behavior. Again, leadership was notified of this. MRCHI asked wolf to send a goonfleet.com private message to Innominate with logs and screenshots of one of the people who had been stalking her, in January. This was to be supplemental information to what MRCHI already had to get this person blacklisted from the alliance. It sat in his box for 6 months before being looked at. When he did read them he described the message as “a wall of text that was not actionable”.

Behind the closed doors of the inner circle illuminati wolf was called every single misogynistic word in the book and even newer ones that are favorites of PUA artists. She was mocked as another Amber Heard. Here are some of the words said by the the leader himself :

the_mittani: gosh why isn't anyone DOING SOMETHING about the HURT FEELINGS of this WOUNDED BIRD
the_mittani: it's all horseshit
the_mittani: and i bet you the delta drama would be substantially cut down with a couple of particularly dramatic skulls put on loving spikes

Wolf felt she had no choice so she took this from a private matter into a public one by posting a thread in helldump on goonfleet.com about the issue. The person who had been harassing her has a mental health crisis in the thread. Everything gets locked down and the stalker is kicked. Wolf is kicked as well.

When the directorate is asked why was wolf kicked there is no clear answer. One director in the Delta Sqad discord goes ballistic over this and has some rather choice things to say about it all :

[GEWNS] Kazanir — 07/10/2022
there is nothing in the text that Wolf wrote to Innominate which is either an allegation of stalking or an allegation of sexual harassment. that is literally not what happened.
what did happen, apparently, is that wolf filed this information at MRCHI's request, it didn't contain much actionable, and then it went nowhere, somehow
but what did NOT happen here is that someone "sat on a report of sexual harassment for 6 months"

There are screenshots that show when exactly the PM was sent and when Innominate looked at it.

Then FNLN comes in. He has a chat with mittani directly whom he has known for a very long time. You have seen these logs. The logs are horrendous. This is what made me see the rot that was there the entire time. The guy who swore up and down and sideways that GSF had a cultural revolution and this kind of poo poo would not be tolerated was himself spouting things that would get any other member of the GSF airlocked.

At some point wolf was unbanned from GSF but no one apologized to her other than AmazingJay. Mittani posted some bullshit sorry on goonfleet.com that wolf can’t even read because she was kicked. A bunch of words that sound good but you know had no actual feelings behind them, after you have seen the logs, seen how other issues were handled, and seen the complete dumpster fire that is goonfleet.com.

Delta went nuclear. Our goodposting went into helldump on goonfleet.com, the eve thread on the somethingawful.com forums, and even to reddit. Logs have been posted of actual conversations that you have already read. Several of us have been outright banned for posting in the “anything goes” helldump. Many others have left on their own out of disgust. Old members from goonfleet have done good posting as well.

The amount of ~true goons~ who think this sort of thing is acceptable is pretty much zero.

No no guys. Delta Sqad is toxic you see. Trust the system. Trust the process. Everything is fine and good we had a cultural revolution in 2012.

If you want real change to happen to GSF the leadership at the top needs to be removed from all levers of power and never be allowed to touch them ever again. This will not happen however. The people at the top have made this game into a personal font of public validation.

Many other things have come out since I started working on this compost yesterday. Just remember, when you think it cannot get worse, it already was.

More stuff that has happened while working on this, mittani is now permabanned from SA. inshallah

TLDR :
GSF has not changed even with the 2012 “cultural revolution”
Nearly everything the GSF leadership tells you is a lie unless it involves ISK
Eve is a bad game and you should not play it

Thank you for reading my doctorate thesis on stupid internet spaceship guild

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Usefully homosexual'

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Slay the Spire was good, but eventually Monster Train came along and blew that game out of the water. If anyone is into CCGs but hasn't checked out Monster Train I would highly recommend it, it's top of class in the genre.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

if you want more than this you will unfortunately have to read the EVE online thread. The drama implosion is ongoing and I'm thousands of posts behind lol

At this point there are so many :gonk: mittani stories coming out that the mundane details of the current scandal that kicked this all off really just scratch the surface. I'm not really well enough looped into current eve drama to begin to summarize it all. That said, here's a classic:

Early in his days as spymaster, a good decade and a half ago, Mittani had a falling out w/ goonfleet's ancestral CEO, Remedial, who was by all accounts a piece of poo poo free stater libertarian criminal lawyer, himself largely responsible for establishing goonfleet's early toxic culture, so don't worry too much about him. But Mittani, a lawyer himself, engaged in this feud by recruiting goons who were minors at the time to keylog remedial's physical pc with a thumbdrive, steal his email password, log into his email and steal his dick pics. Goons were then encouraged to fax his dick thousands of times to his (fraudulent) law office. He has since changed his name to escape The Mittani and remdick.jpg.

Fast forward 15 years: to everyone's surprise The Mittani was a creepy psycho the whole time

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 16, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

As always eve is absolutely fascinating to hear about as an outsider when these big dramas happen. it's always totally mental.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

As always eve is absolutely fascinating to hear about as an outsider when these big dramas happen. it's always totally mental.

People say this but IMO it was fascinating the first time and every story after that has sounded exactly the same. Internet shithead drama? Battles with lots of ships and <1 FPS? You don't say.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah it's pretty boring stuff

I think the lesson is never join any discord server

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Eve is the only MMO where anything remotely interesting ever happens. This is mostly a condemnation of MMOs in general though

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The Moon Monster posted:

People say this but IMO it was fascinating the first time and every story after that has sounded exactly the same. Internet shithead drama? Battles with lots of ships and <1 FPS? You don't say.

yeah but I only hear about something like every 3 or 4 years so it's still interesting for me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure this drama is happening because the material conditions of EVE have become unbearable. The company has slowly turned eve into the worst kind of micro transaction mobile game. This was tolerable for a while because there was a huge war going on and covid. but the war is over. because of the economic nerfs there will likely never be a big war again.

people will put up with garbage management in their space guild if the game is an amazing war of extinction. not when it's a rock clicking simulator

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i vaguely remember trying that free FPS that was like, you were a grunt in the ground wars of an EVE Online battle, and it was pretty cool

that was in like 2012, i haven't thought about it since

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can't beat the third level of Slay the Spire, i just suck at it and/or i am dumb

Also the run and gun levels of Cuphead fuckin suuuuuck

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

poverty goat posted:

Eve is the only MMO where anything remotely interesting ever happens. This is mostly a condemnation of MMOs in general though

MMOs exist on a scale that goes from "nothing interesting ever happens but the gameplay is ok i guess" to "the gameplay is a mind rending slog but at least something interesting occasionally happens"

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't beat the third level of Slay the Spire, i just suck at it and/or i am dumb

Also the run and gun levels of Cuphead fuckin suuuuuck

First one: I found looking for guides helped understand what cards are good faster than trying to luck my way into it

Second one: agree, like contra but not as fun in some ways. Bosses are cool though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Top Gun on the NES is a fun game

Edit: I didn't realize that in some versions the stages could be silent, but I remember growing up and hearing this fuckin :krad: tune and I've always loved it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0kfQKTaEw

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 16, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I know a couple that play Eve Online, they are one of the strangest couples I know, she walked around with a dog collar on and they'd both wear ankle length matrix style black coats and sunglasses, I remember they once went on a big blowout holiday to Amsterdam and spent so much money that they couldn't actually afford a way home until I drove their mother to the nearest bank to deposit the bus fare back. Really into the kind of chronically awful "heavy metal" music you associate with people who are desperate to present themselves to the world in as strange a way as possible: nine inch nails, cradle of filth, that kind of shite.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well I wouldn't want to mess with them, then

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I had a really good time playing Eve when I did, but it was right time right place for everything, really. It is a really bad, boring game and a piece of poo poo and lol mittanni getting perma'd for being an all-out creep surprises me about || this much.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Thank you Rutibex and poverty goat.

I usually just laugh at video game drama but this is kinda a whole different ballpark. Don't really have anything insightful or funny to say about it. Just awful all around.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beartaco posted:

Slay the Spire was good, but eventually Monster Train came along and blew that game out of the water. If anyone is into CCGs but hasn't checked out Monster Train I would highly recommend it, it's top of class in the genre.

I couldn't get into monster train, but I have like 400 hours in Slay The Spire and I'm still only at ascension 10 for everyone.

Slay the Spire has made me WAY better at meatspace deckbuilding games though. The biggest learn for me was to pay attention to notice when removing a card or even just not adding a card is a strong choice.

Also, if you're really stuck watching one of Jorb's early streams where he explains everything in detail... aside from showing off some non-obvious combos and synergies, Jorbs' vibe encourages you to slow down and start thinking about EV and how to pre-mitigate/plan for variance. Jorbs might even make you a slightly better poker player if you listen to the way he thinks about hidden information and randomness.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

In the same vein as Slay the Spire/Monster Train I've been playing Ring of Pain it's pretty good. Would recommend. Well I might be done with it but 27 hours ain't shabby.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I know a couple that play Eve Online, they are one of the strangest couples I know, she walked around with a dog collar on and they'd both wear ankle length matrix style black coats and sunglasses, I remember they once went on a big blowout holiday to Amsterdam and spent so much money that they couldn't actually afford a way home until I drove their mother to the nearest bank to deposit the bus fare back. Really into the kind of chronically awful "heavy metal" music you associate with people who are desperate to present themselves to the world in as strange a way as possible: nine inch nails, cradle of filth, that kind of shite.

The only time christian o'Connell was ever funny on absolute radios morning show was when he took the piss out of this phone in that thought they were edgy and cool for having an evanescence themed wedding

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Timmy = Defect
Johnny = Ironclad/Silent
Spike = Watcher

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Monster Train is very very good. I like any roguelike deckbuilder that mixes up the formula. There's no reason to make another traditional one since StS completely nailed it from the start.

I really liked the negotiation combat in Griftlands. Inscryption had a lot of clever ideas too, wish they would put out a roguelike version for all 4 of the decks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah an endless mode for the robot at least would be great

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

At this point there are so many :gonk: mittani stories coming out that the mundane details of the current scandal that kicked this all off really just scratch the surface. I'm not really well enough looped into current eve drama to begin to summarize it all. That said, here's a classic:

Early in his days as spymaster, a good decade and a half ago, Mittani had a falling out w/ goonfleet's ancestral CEO, Remedial, who was by all accounts a piece of poo poo free stater libertarian criminal lawyer, himself largely responsible for establishing goonfleet's early toxic culture, so don't worry too much about him. But Mittani, a lawyer himself, engaged in this feud by recruiting goons who were minors at the time to keylog remedial's physical pc with a thumbdrive, steal his email password, log into his email and steal his dick pics. Goons were then encouraged to fax his dick thousands of times to his (fraudulent) law office. He has since changed his name to escape The Mittani and remdick.jpg.

Fast forward 15 years: to everyone's surprise The Mittani was a creepy psycho the whole time

"I've played Eve Online for more than 15 years" should probably be treated as the reddest of flags, even redder than "I play and enjoy DOTA"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i legitimately think i might have known these people lmao. is one of them obsessed with Unix?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

"I've played Eve Online for more than 15 years" should probably be treated as the reddest of flags, even redder than "I play and enjoy DOTA"

i think even "i have known what eve online is for 15 years" is a red flag

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

precision posted:

not fair because my roommate in 2002 was in the alpha

e: you could spin ships in 2002. they should just have stopped there

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

precision posted:

I guess maybe if they have Alzheimer's or something, but normally "I recall that a thing existed many years ago" isn't a red flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

Doesn’t Eve implode regularly due to being Libertarianism: The Game, and people just like steal money and since there’s no space government there’s no way to do anything about it except start a civil war? To be fair though all my Eve knowledge comes from memes and that “This is REALLY Eve” YouTube parody.

There is a space government in the center of the galaxy but all the riches are out in the ungoverned wild west where cops don't exist and players/gulids can claim territory and build their own space stations.

But most importantly it's because CCP Games has a very lax philosophy towards moderation and actually allows/encourages scams. In World of Warcraft you could hang around the capital city and offer to double clueless newbies' money, but you'd quickly get reported and banned. In Eve, that is explicitly allowed. If you scam someone they can put a space bounty on your head to ask other players to kill you but there is no out-of-game way to get your money back, and if they try to report you to the devs the devs will just say "lol nice job, high five!".

Goonswarm had a long running bit where they would invite random pubbies to join the guild (or ask them to pay a huge fee to get in), tell them to put all their worldly possessions in one of the goonswarm long-haul freighters to help with the long journey to their home base out in deep uncivilized space (nullsec), and then they'd just take off with all the loot and block the pubbie.

The only stuff that's explicitly against the rules is scamming people out of real world money (PLEX), or character transfers: