Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
With arrows, while in the midst of a burning city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in my three houses playthrough i had bernadetta attack catherine and bernie had her scripted line where she’s like “Eek! It’s thunderbolt catherine!!! I’m gonna die!!!” and then she fired off an arrow, which happened to be a crit, and completely obliterated thunderbolt catherine in one shot. as far as I’m concerned this is Catherine’s canonical ending

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

She can fix her.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In hindsight “Thunderstrike Cassandra” choosing “Thunderbolt Catherine” as her witness protection identity might have been a bad idea.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

galagazombie posted:

In hindsight “Thunderstrike Cassandra” choosing “Thunderbolt Catherine” as her witness protection identity might have been a bad idea.

"It's a stroke of genius! People will hear "Thunderbolt Catherine" and think "Hey, this sounds a lot like Thunderstrike Cassandra, I wonder if they're the same person!". And then they'll go "Nah, couldn't be, too obvious." Even with me having a crest of Charon and wielding Thunderbrand, nobody's going to believe them!"

She checked this idea with Rhea (agreed, but didn't bother listening because she was busy planning the next attack on the Western Church), Shamir (assumed she was drunk) and Alois (said her true identity would flash on people like lightning).

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

In Rhea's case, considering she's apparently gotten away with being every Archbishop in history using only some hair dye and different dresses, she may have actually heard Catherine out and agreed that was A+ top tier disguise work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

There is some new lore, or at least lore that Hopes clarifies, that crestholders not only are stronger/faster/more magical they straight up live longer than normal people. I don't know if I like it overall, but it does at least explain Rhea getting away with it.

It was possible to consider Jeralt differently given he got a direct blood transfusion from the source. At least that's how I split the middle there.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Are there any people working for the church that aren’t living or have lived under assumed identities? Rhea, Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeritza, Gilbert, Tomas, Jeralt faked some deaths and went off the grid. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised if the Gatekeeper was Sothis’ long lost brother.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Are there any people working for the church that aren’t living or have lived under assumed identities? Rhea, Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, Jeritza, Gilbert, Tomas, Jeralt faked some deaths and went off the grid. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised if the Gatekeeper was Sothis’ long lost brother.

Alois.

Which probably means that everyone assumes he's in one of the other conspiracies, just because he's not in their conspiracies, and then they start trying to analyze his dad jokes for hints at his hidden objectives.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Hey, someone posted that you can get Lorenz and stack all the increased damage (outgoing and incoming) abilities on him. I only know about Wild Abandon. What other abilities like that are there?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I think one of my favourite things about Byleth in Three Hopes is the exploration of their muted personality, tendency towards practical thinking and inability to understand emotions or how to interact with others.

This clicked for me when talking to them after a mission. They explained that they gave up on people they knew couldn’t be saved and switched to those who they thought had a chance. They were then confused when people called them a demon and asked Shez what else they should have done. This was shortly after the paralogue with Jeralt, Leonie and them where Sauin village is attacked by poachers and Byleth literally says that they weren’t paid to protect them so they should just leave that leads to Leonie calling them a monster and asking Jeralt how he could raise someone so heartless.

It probably has been explored in media before, but it is awesome to see the three hopes team exploring “what would it actually be like for an emotionless, artificial being created to be a vessel for Sothis to try and navigate the world?”

Plus, Byleth and Jeralt’s support conversations are great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

It probably has been explored in media before, but it is awesome to see the three hopes team exploring “what would it actually be like for an emotionless, artificial being created to be a vessel for Sothis to try and navigate the world?”

It's not quite one for one, but characters along that line, especially ones who are slowly gaining or regaining their connection to humanity, are pretty common in mech anime.

The most famous example, Rei Ayanami, has been described by her VA not as a character who lacks emotion, but rather a character who often lacks the ability to understand emotion, but she does share the whole artificial construct for the purpose of reviving a dead mother thing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

lowercase16 posted:

Hey, someone posted that you can get Lorenz and stack all the increased damage (outgoing and incoming) abilities on him. I only know about Wild Abandon. What other abilities like that are there?

Wild Abandon is the big one. Shez and Byleth can get Pact and Covenant which is kind of the same except that it increases Warrior and Awakening gauge recovery in exchange for more damage.

That said, Lorenz also has a lot of other good skills that anyone who gets them wants to equip, namely Big Game Hunter (increased damage vs. strong enemies) and Offensive Tactics (increased damage so long as a battalion is equipped). And then he can get Dual Onslaught and Proficient Witstrike from the same class that gifts him Big Game Hunter which work especially well for him considering his hybrid stats (and unlike some other characters, Lorenz can equip or de-equip the latter to suit the situation). Add the corresponding Prowess skill and the Critical Boost, and he's seeing quite an uptick in damage, and Essence of Fire which is super useful for his fire-using Combat Arts, Spells, and certain fire-using Charge Attacks.

From there, you can add other skills to round out his build like Swordbreaker (advantage and damage-increase against swords, no matter the class, and Lorenz has enough slots that he can afford to use it in most cases), Lethality (chance of insta-killing Mooks, which will be nice on higher difficulties because these mooks are among the most durable mooks I've ever played against in a Musou game), Dark Mage's Ploy (if you're a Dark Mage, your C1 can now insta-kill mooks), Mercenary's Ploy (increased Critical Hit on Myrmidon, Mercenary, Swordmaster, and Mortal Savant C1 which is nice because C1 is integral to those classes' playstyles), Provoke (enemies will prioritize attacking you above all else, including guarding against your attacks, which can be somewhat risky but also ensure faster kills), Knight's Wisdom (C1 of horse classes that use lances increase Warrior Gauge recovery for more Warrior Special use), Mage's Wisdom (if you're a Mage or Warlock, your C1 does more damage to enemies in exchange for a faster class gauge depletion rate, this is an exchange that is very much worth it since you don't actually want to empty your entire class gauge as a Mage/Warlock in 99% of any combat situation), Apex Lance to increase Critical Hits further whenever you're in a Lance-using class, Wyvern Rider's Ploy (to guard break with at least one full bar when using your C1).

It really helps that Lorenz's unique action is just universally useful no matter what class you're using him in due to the ridiculously broken passive effect of it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not quite one for one, but characters along that line, especially ones who are slowly gaining or regaining their connection to humanity, are pretty common in mech anime.

The most famous example, Rei Ayanami, has been described by her VA not as a character who lacks emotion, but rather a character who often lacks the ability to understand emotion, but she does share the whole artificial construct for the purpose of reviving a dead mother thing.

Rhea is Gendo Ikari??

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Given the golems....yes. Yes she is.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Get in the magic throne, Byleth

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Apex Lance to increase Critical Hits further whenever you're in a Lance-using class
two things here: these skills increase your critical damage, not your critical rate (you might have meant this but it was a bit ambiguous)

and that doesn't actually matter because they're currently bugged to actually lower your critical damage instead lmao

you can test this yourself in mock battles very easily, it's not a very significant decrease but it is still a total waste of a slot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

galagazombie posted:

Staticshock Catherine

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

There is some new lore, or at least lore that Hopes clarifies, that crestholders not only are stronger/faster/more magical they straight up live longer than normal people. I don't know if I like it overall, but it does at least explain Rhea getting away with it.

It was possible to consider Jeralt differently given he got a direct blood transfusion from the source. At least that's how I split the middle there.

I think the major crest of Seiros is supposed to be exceedingly rare, like Jeralt has one and is 300+ years old, and I feel like if that was something that came up with any regularity, you'd have heard about it. Like does it come up for anyone other than Jeralt and Nemesis and possibly as an excuse for Rhea's age?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

WEall must do our FAIRshare.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
nothing but the best for you!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

a taste more bitter than blackest coffee

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ok so I’m 70hrs in and still can’t figure out how to teach spells to other units.

So

1) They need to have a C support
2) Need to be in their preferred classes?
3) The spell needs to be at Lv 3
4) The spell needs to have a little bubble with dots in it
5) The teacher needs to be the adjunct

6)Spam moves?????

7) Profit?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't remember if there's a minimum support rank requirement. Other requirements:

1) The spell or weapon art must be at level 3
2) The spell or weapon art must be something the teacher learned from a favoured class. Basic classes are never favoured, relic weapon arts can never qualify for this.

The little bubble icon shows for which spells and arts conditions 1 and 2 are satisfied

3) The student must have A rank in the relevant weapon (tomes for spells)
4) Assign the student as an adjutant to the teacher
5) Spam the spell or art until the RNG smiles because it's not 100%

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They need to be from the teacher's preferred classes. If this is the case, the move will have a tiny little speech bubble icon once it's level 3.

The learner needs to have an A-rank in the given weapon (tomes for spells), IE they need to have the equivalent master class unlocked.

If you've got those and the C support, yeah, attach the learner as an adjutant and spam the poo poo out of the spell/art. The learn rate is rather low, took me like a hundred casts before I could teach Hubert Luna, but he eventually got it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Chinook posted:

a taste more bitter than blackest coffee

This quote is forever engrained into my brain and I’m sad I have no one in real life who knows Fire Emblem to say this to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Would you say it… leaves an unpleasant sensation in your mouth?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Ok so I’m 70hrs in and still can’t figure out how to teach spells to other units.

So

1) They need to have a C support
2) Need to be in their preferred classes?
3) The spell needs to be at Lv 3
4) The spell needs to have a little bubble with dots in it
5) The teacher needs to be the adjunct

6)Spam moves?????

7) Profit?
in addition to what's mentioned above, the exact chances have been datamined and they're as follows:
A support: 8%
B support: 3%
C support: 0.4%

this is chance per use of the move in battle to teach it. so if your pair can't go above c support, good loving luck!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I put 70hrs in to this because I did everything and got everyones supports up and probably hosed around a lot more than I should've, but lol at the, what... 30 second ending? lol

Supports were mostly fanstic.

Dorothea rules

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

Rhea is a Nabatean who all basically have elf lifespans, Seteth and Flayn are also a thousand plus years old. As for humans, it's only first generation crest bearers who get unnaturally long life: those who inherited one via bloodline get superpowers but otherwise live for a normal amount of time. Jeralt is a first generation bearer since Rhea let him drink her blood directly, hence his longevity. Likewise in regards to Rhea being able to stay Archbishop for so long, in Silver Snow you find out very late that Rhea has been experimenting on/with the upper echelons of the church for quite a while, including allowing others to drink her blood, so passing herself off as different Archbishops is probably not too hard since the entire upper church leadership is in on it and commonfolk probably don't get much more than a glimpse of her.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

Rhea is a Nabatean who all basically have elf lifespans, Seteth and Flayn are also a thousand plus years old. As for humans, it's only first generation crest bearers who get unnaturally long life: those who inherited one via bloodline get superpowers but otherwise live for a normal amount of time. Jeralt is a first generation bearer since Rhea let him drink her blood directly, hence his longevity. Likewise in regards to Rhea being able to stay Archbishop for so long, in Silver Snow you find out very late that Rhea has been experimenting on/with the upper echelons of the church for quite a while, including allowing others to drink her blood, so passing herself off as different Archbishops is probably not too hard since the entire upper church leadership is in on it and commonfolk probably don't get much more than a glimpse of her.

In Hopes AG Dimitri discusses with iirc Sylvain that that's not just first generation crest bearers. As well in a camp convo with Seteth he says that "Like most people with a crest, he is much older than he appears." To excuse the fact that he and Flayn can barely maintain their disguises and Seteth continually acts like an old man.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Amppelix posted:

in addition to what's mentioned above, the exact chances have been datamined and they're as follows:
A support: 8%
B support: 3%
C support: 0.4%

this is chance per use of the move in battle to teach it. so if your pair can't go above c support, good loving luck!

Is there some hidden bonus/penalty based on what you're trying to teach? It took me like 50 casts to teach Shez Aura with A rank but it was literally the first cast to teach them Hades.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

In Hopes AG Dimitri discusses with iirc Sylvain that that's not just first generation crest bearers. As well in a camp convo with Seteth he says that "Like most people with a crest, he is much older than he appears." To excuse the fact that he and Flayn can barely maintain their disguises and Seteth continually acts like an old man.

Huh I swear it was just the first generation folks, granted I kinda glazed over at a lot of the non-Kingdom politics AG stuff so maybe I should go back through it. Everybody with a crest also getting to live forever kinda sucks imo but whatever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

Huh I swear it was just the first generation folks, granted I kinda glazed over at a lot of the non-Kingdom politics AG stuff so maybe I should go back through it. Everybody with a crest also getting to live forever kinda sucks imo but whatever.

Yeah I'm not the most into it being brought up as a major plot point. At least no on the lifespans implied, which feel like at least 200 years. It makes things messier than just everyone laughing at Rhea Kent putting on and taking off glasses.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm not sure why Seteth and Flayn would bother to specifically lie about their familial relationship if crest bearers having extended lifespans is a common thing that everybody knows. I feel like father and daughter would actually be the more reasonable assumption for an outside observer to make in that situation.

Seems like this contradicts the way that Alois reacts to Jeralt's claims about his age, too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Appearing younger and living longer are two different things though. Even in real life we have people who look 20 years younger than they are do to good genetics. But that doesn’t mean they live to 200. Are we sure Dimitri doesn’t just mean crest bearers stay in the prime of their lives a greater proportion of their lives?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Counterpoint: Crest-Bearer Margrave Gautier does not look anything close to in his prime.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Counterpoint: Crest-Bearer Margrave Gautier does not look anything close to in his prime.

Eh, he still looks younger than his crestless son. He looks about as old as Raphael does, so that's partly just a style thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So howst do I unlock the ??? ability on hero weapons, like on the Failnaught? I've 'failed' to unlock it and I'm on like chapter 12 or 13.