Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

lovely glow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Barn Swallows by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow-headed Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Common Yellowthroat by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I saw a small duck family walking past the house across the street today :3:
The ducklings did not have a good time getting over obstacles though...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Nice set

gyuto pac slope with food- on Flickr

gyuto pac slope with food2- on Flickr

Oh noes!

gyuto pac slope nest w cowbird- on Flickr

gyuto pac slope nest w cowbird2- on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Backyard shot from tonight

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
https://www.audubon.org/magazine/summer-2022/the-2022-audubon-photography-awards-winners-and

BetterLekNextTime is that you in the winners list? If so congrats!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It is! Thank you very much- it's super exciting. Good year to be entering a grouse pic 'cause like half the winners are some kind of grouse.

I actually entered this exact photo a few years ago and it went nowhere. Over the past two or three years I've seen some other sage-grouse photos make the top cut. Given the new-ish category of "Female Bird" thought I'd give it another shot although I was just hoping maybe to make the top 100. Definitely a nice surprise! I'm not sure what the lesson is but I guess keep trying if you have a photo you really like.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It is! Thank you very much- it's super exciting. Good year to be entering a grouse pic 'cause like half the winners are some kind of grouse.

I actually entered this exact photo a few years ago and it went nowhere. Over the past two or three years I've seen some other sage-grouse photos make the top cut. Given the new-ish category of "Female Bird" thought I'd give it another shot although I was just hoping maybe to make the top 100. Definitely a nice surprise! I'm not sure what the lesson is but I guess keep trying if you have a photo you really like.

Congratulations! Epic work!

I may enter my 2022 Barn Owl pic, I put it in the Country File calendar comp here in the UK as it fitted the theme this year but I don't have much hope there given how popular that competition is and its not bird limited.

However it might be too "generic just a bird flying" for Audubon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

Congratulations! Epic work!

I may enter my 2022 Barn Owl pic, I put it in the Country File calendar comp here in the UK as it fitted the theme this year but I don't have much hope there given how popular that competition is and its not bird limited.

However it might be too "generic just a bird flying" for Audubon.

It seems like owls were "out of fashion" this year, and I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. Also, all the photos were from the ABA area (I don't remember if that's a requirement or not). Other than those caveats, I'd say go for it. I like the contest because the fees go to a good conservation organization and not just Madaver Media LLC, and also that they have a top 100 so it's not just the lucky winners who get some attention.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
It kinda bothered me that the professional category winner and runner up were the same person. Same guy won the video contest too. My favorite picture was the ducks.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was kind of weird. I've seen that happen in some of the little local non-profit contests but I was surprised Audubon wouldn't move the honorable mention to the Top 100 and get another name in there.

I also found it a little ironic they added a Female Birds category but almost all the photographers are men. I don't know if there should be a quota or if there was what it should be but I'm sure I'm not the only person who noticed that. I looked back at last year and it was a lot more balanced, so probably just weird coincidence plus the fact the one dude was in 3 times.

e: I guess it's also possible they had someone else but they somehow lost eligibility or withdrew late in the game and there wasn't time to get a new photographer though the affidavit process before the magazine had to go to print.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 8, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Congrats BetterLekNextTime - that's rad as all hell

Bumping this thread with some backyard bird action - I spent an embarrassing amount of money to get a feeder system set up over the past two weekends

House Finches were the bravest to explore the newest offerings of food in the neighbourhood

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Phone pic but we stumbled upon this buddy while walking around St Pete. It was poking around some bushes looking for lizards. We didn’t see it until it jumped away from us, but otherwise didn’t seem too bothered by us.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Congrats!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

The Top 100 are out now.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This Red-throated Loon was a bit of celebrity for a little while. At least 10 days in late may/early june. It was hanging out uncharacteristically in a canal that's connected to Lake Ontario - wouldn't leave. It died. But it was super famous for a little while a lot of birders around the GTA got to see this guy real close and that's just special.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
I had the good fortune to get some pics of a native New Zealand wood pigeon, or kererū, which perched briefly outside my kitchen window this morning. These guys have the approximate aerodynamics of a bumblebee and a habit of trying to perch on branches that simply can't support their fat asses. They then eat fermented berries until they get so drunk they fall out of the tree. :allears:

So, a pretty typical representation of a New Zealander, then.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

p0stal b0b posted:

I had the good fortune to get some pics of a native New Zealand wood pigeon, or kererū, which perched briefly outside my kitchen window this morning. These guys have the approximate aerodynamics of a bumblebee and a habit of trying to perch on branches that simply can't support their fat asses. They then eat fermented berries until they get so drunk they fall out of the tree. :allears:

This was a delightful series.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I heard this guy when I pulled up to my house but couldn't find him in the trees. As I was leaving, I spotted him and managed to get my camera out without spooking him.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

p0stal b0b posted:

These are so great.

I sat on the ground waiting for this great blue heron to go after a fish for about 15 minutes. Eventually I gave up and stood up to walk away. That startled him and he flew away, and of course I had already flicked my camera off so I missed my chance to catch him in the air.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I went to Ireland for most of June, had great weather in Dublin and ok weather in Cork, but rain ruined any chance of seabirds on Innishmore and at the Cliffs of Moher :smith:. I also spent the whole time trying to get a photo of a Grey Heron, and I only saw one, perched on top of a chimney next to an elevated Luas stop, staring at me through the door of a packed peak hour tram as it slowly pulled away with my camera safely stowed in my bag :mad:

I did manage to take these though, this group are from St Stephen's Green

Mute Swan

Sub-adult Herring Gull

Juvenile Herring Gull

Moorhen

Tufted Duck

Mallard

Eurasian Magpie

Also I heard people like Goslings? Didn't want to put too many photos in one post :ohdear:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 23, 2022

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Been a couple of years since I tried swallows. First 15 minutes I got nothing, everything was out of frame or focus.
Managed to get back in the rhythm again and managed to get a few decent shots in

Swallow feeding by Marc, on Flickr

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Raikyn posted:

Been a couple of years since I tried swallows. First 15 minutes I got nothing, everything was out of frame or focus.
Managed to get back in the rhythm again and managed to get a few decent shots in

Fantastic shot, we have these guys feeding on bugs on the pond out front of the house but I've never managed to catch them on the wing, they're so drat fast.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

p0stal b0b posted:

These are great. I have a Mulberry tree in my yard which I neglected to cut down before it grew a million feet tall and wide, and the berries get everything dunk. During this time of summer all I hear are birds hitting the side of my house, purple poop literally everywhere, and squirrels who can't even climb trees. They just lay in the shade. drunk. I haven't seen a bird do that yet, unfortunately.

Anyway, some content from a hike the other day.

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis)
by Philip V, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Raikyn posted:

This is a great shot. I have swallows buzzing aroudn my apartment all the time as I liove right on the river. I am also shooting with a 5Div, could you share how you manage to track these and get focus on them?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

NTRabbit posted:

Also I heard people like Goslings? Didn't want to put too many photos in one post :ohdear:

yes goslings please!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wonderful pheasant spot, hope you've jotted it down in the log

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

This is a great shot. I have swallows buzzing aroudn my apartment all the time as I liove right on the river. I am also shooting with a 5Div, could you share how you manage to track these and get focus on them?

Swallows on water aren't too bad.
If its a little windy they'll fly slower and into the wind. Usually I'll use the center single focus point in this situation. Can mostly keep them centered in this situation.
In still conditions I'll try and position to where the swallow has a smooth background behind it (usually the water surface) and use a wider focus area. If the the swallow gets a messier background like the bank or water ripples it'll just focus on the background usually.

Using the 100-400, I'll sometime start wider, then narrow in once the target is centered and I can track it.
And it's just a case of observing for a while first and looking at their habits, often they'll follow a very similar path, so then you can be ready when they swoop in.

I've set my 5d up with 2 focus buttons on the back, with '*' being center focus, AF-ON with area focus, so it is easy to switch between the 2 if you are using your thumb for focusing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

my cat is norris posted:

yes goslings please!

Ok! but first these ones from Kilkenny Castle

A female Blackbird I think

Blackbird

A very fluffy European Robin I had to manual focus on, but it let me get real close

Another Mallard

A couple of Rooks

The big lad up close

These are from The Lough in Cork

Coot

I think this might be a Coot fledgling but I'm not sure

This Cormorant was dead centre of the lake and that was as close as anyone was getting

Ducklings!

This interloper is an Australian Swan, and I have no idea how it ended up on a lake in Ireland

I don't know what kind of duck this is

Greylag Goose

Getting closer

Closer

Gosling!

It was very photogenic

Preening

Another Herring Gull

Mallard feathers photograph well

Jackdaw

This mute swan had to peck away a woman who was trying to get her boyfriend to take a photo of her holding or petting it

Last but not least, a Woodpigeon

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 25, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice work everyone, like that gull on the water with the red reflection!

Sedge Warbler by Aves Lux, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Raikyn posted:

Swallows on water aren't too bad.
If its a little windy they'll fly slower and into the wind. Usually I'll use the center single focus point in this situation. Can mostly keep them centered in this situation.
In still conditions I'll try and position to where the swallow has a smooth background behind it (usually the water surface) and use a wider focus area. If the the swallow gets a messier background like the bank or water ripples it'll just focus on the background usually.

Using the 100-400, I'll sometime start wider, then narrow in once the target is centered and I can track it.
And it's just a case of observing for a while first and looking at their habits, often they'll follow a very similar path, so then you can be ready when they swoop in.

I've set my 5d up with 2 focus buttons on the back, with '*' being center focus, AF-ON with area focus, so it is easy to switch between the 2 if you are using your thumb for focusing.

Thanks man, this is great info. Do you usually use C-AF and track the subject, or set the focus beforehand and try to catch the subject as it moves through frame? Tracking or ambushing, so to speak...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

p0stal b0b posted:

Thanks man, this is great info. Do you usually use C-AF and track the subject, or set the focus beforehand and try to catch the subject as it moves through frame? Tracking or ambushing, so to speak...

I usually pre-focus on the area I'm aiming for, then use center-area focus to track once I can get them in frame

Keeper rate is still very low though haha

Not as cloudy today, so I went out and had another go