Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Snake Maze posted:

And ruin the matte finish!?

Lol if your balls aren't at least Semi-Gloss

some of you dry ball mother fuckers are probably Eggshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
ProGear and Giga Wing are $1 on the eshop rn and they are fuckin lit. insane, opulent 90s shmup goodness. never cared for bullet hells at all until i grabbed a few on switch and now i'm hooked. there's something to be said for playing games designed as public spectacle on a handheld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxtFfEdjsHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j56eUNx4sZk

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you can, play Portal 2 on PC; there's an INCREDIBLY in-depth and easy to use level editor that's like click and drag, and you can pop in on the fly to test out your test chamber. It's wonderful, and a shame that it's not included in the Switch version.

I have never played with it, but I have enjoyed the extra half hour of JK Simmons it gave us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPG3eDTy-yo

chariot chariot, signing out

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
question: did they ever update the N64 stuff to let you rebind controls so that C-buttons aren't hosed, or no

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How are they hosed?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

American McGay posted:

How are they hosed?
unless you use one of the (immediately scalped) N64 controllers, if you want to press C-right or C-up you need to hold ZR and then press A/X respectively

edit: also even though there's system-wide remapping, that doesn't help when the app expects you to press multiple buttons to do something

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 16, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Can’t you just use the right stick? How would you unfuck it if there aren’t enough buttons.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Using the right stick can be a little annoying in some games because of the way it reads left and slightly down as left and then down but it's not super noticeable outside of the Zelda games for me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

ProGear and Giga Wing are $1 on the eshop rn and they are fuckin lit. insane, opulent 90s shmup goodness. never cared for bullet hells at all until i grabbed a few on switch and now i'm hooked. there's something to be said for playing games designed as public spectacle on a handheld

This looks amazing and $1 is too good to say no

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blaziken386 posted:

unless you use one of the (immediately scalped) N64 controllers, if you want to press C-right or C-up you need to hold ZR and then press A/X respectively

edit: also even though there's system-wide remapping, that doesn't help when the app expects you to press multiple buttons to do something
drat, that's even worse than using the right stick, truly the N64 had one of the most cursed controllers in gaming.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The only thing I actually actively hate about the default N64 app controls is that the n64 shoulder buttons aren't mapped to L and R or ZL and ZR. Insane choice imo. Either would be fine with Z as the other left shoulder button

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

the Sunset Kingdom in Klonoa 2 is an utter bastard of a stage. heart in my mouth for half those platforming puzzles

the fact that extra lives are so hard to come by doesn't help with the stress

The game just starts giving you extra lives if you ever end up with less than 3 lol

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a third party N64 style controller for the Switch?

This one shows up a few times, I guess there's a Switch version that works?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This doesn't look like a N64-controller. Not even close.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, it actually looks usable by a human being

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

flavor.flv posted:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

This doesn't look like a N64-controller. Not even close.

Yeah that's why it's good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe look for Genesis controllers with analog sticks? Seems one exists with one stick but dunno if it's Switch compatible. The 8bitdo one doesn't have any analog sticks sadly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Barreft posted:

I always read Klonoa as Cloaca

Cloaca: Door to Pantomime

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If an N64 controller can’t play Sin and Punishment comfortably it’s worthless

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Using the right stick can be a little annoying in some games because of the way it reads left and slightly down as left and then down but it's not super noticeable outside of the Zelda games for me

I've been playing through Banjo Kazooie and having to clack the right stick a few times to move the camera is always a little bit of an adventure.

That and the twitchiness of the movement in general. Is that just the game being old or was the N64 analog stick that sensitive?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol if an N64 controller is too complicated and confusing for you

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Barreft posted:

I always read Klonoa as Cloaca

I always read it as Kelowna. It wasn't until the remake came out I realised my mistake.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blaziken386 posted:

8BitDo Pro 2 with button macros?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, the left and right parts go in your hands and the middle part obviously goes in your mouth.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The N64 controller is superior to the GameCube controller in every way, but y’all ain’t ready for that convo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Maybe look for Genesis controllers with analog sticks?
The dpad on the M30 can emulate either left or right stick, though you're limited to 8-way input on them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

The N64 controller is superior to the GameCube controller in every way, but y’all ain’t ready for that convo.

Tell me how the N64 shoulder buttons are better than the Gamecube's.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I fixed it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

Tell me how the N64 shoulder buttons are better than the Gamecube's.
The GC’s are giant hollow plastic Fisher Price toy components.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Chieves posted:

I've been playing through Banjo Kazooie and having to clack the right stick a few times to move the camera is always a little bit of an adventure.

That and the twitchiness of the movement in general. Is that just the game being old or was the N64 analog stick that sensitive?

I remember seeing a video about how every rerelease of Mario 64 has had different deadzones from the N64 version (and that this is part of why people playing the newer releases think the controls aged poorly), could be the same thing for Banjo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

beer gas canister posted:

Copped thank you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

C-buttons over top the a and b buttons, that alone is pure garbage

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This controller was the one I used as a kid and and continue to use as an adult since it’s actually not dumb as poo poo and allows access to all the buttons at all times.

Also the gamecube controller with an additional left shoulder button Is the best controller period.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Little brothers always got the crappy Mad Catz controller.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

allows access to all the buttons at all times.

This criticism has been dumb for, what, twenty-five years?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Bloop posted:

lol if an N64 controller is too complicated and confusing for you

Not a single person said anything like that though.

But lol goon with sick burn.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I don't remember the N64 controller being difficult but I can't remember using the d-pad even once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It is kinda poo poo that vouchers can't be used to pre-order games that release after the voucher expiry date. Just wanna get some Splat 3.